PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy learning a new pitch?

whitesoxfan1986
02-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I heard somewhere last month that McCarthy was going to be adding a splitter this year. Does anyone know about this?

ondafarm
02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
A splitter would definately help him. His fastball is straight and even though he throws it well and has a good change to go with it a splitter would make him a better groundball and strikeout guy. (As if he needs that help.)

FanofBill
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I heard somewhere last month that McCarthy was going to be adding a splitter this year. Does anyone know about this?

I think it was on this board but it was more someone's wish than anything. I don't remember reading that anywhere, I might be wrong though.

mccombe_35
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I hope he's learning it from Contreras!

whitesoxfan1986
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
I think it was on this board but it was more someone's wish than anything. I don't remember reading that anywhere, I might be wrong though.

Yeah, it was either on this forum or the other one that I go to. I just wondered if it was true.

Huisj
02-17-2006, 11:23 AM

I always kind of picture Contreras as having a hard time teaching his splitter to others since his hands and fingers are just so stinking huge. Kind of like if a 7 foot guy tried to teach you how to dunk a basketball.

lostletters
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Well supposably he already started learning a sinker (which is a good pitch for a very tall player). I would not be surprised if he was trying to learn a splitter.

DaleJRFan
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I always kind of picture Contreras as having a hard time teaching his splitter to others since his hands and fingers are just so stinking huge. Kind of like if a 7 foot guy tried to teach you how to dunk a basketball.

uh... McCarthy is taller than Contreras and if you've seen his change-up grip, I doubt he would have much trouble with a splitter. If any of this is true, I hope he's working on a splitfinger fastball ala Jack McDowell. His two change-ups as good as anyone. Buehrle has stated (as well as a lot of other people) that McCarthy's second change (non-circle type) is the best in the big leagues. Since he is a control pitcher and throws a straight fastball, he does need a hard out-pitch, like a slider or sinker.

Wasn't the issue that he isn't bulky enough? KW said he needs to put on some weight and work on his durability. I'd like to see that happen before he tries to throw any more pitches. He needs to learn to throw the ones he has now for 7 innings every fifth day.

VivaOzzie
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been wondering this for a while...exactly what pitches does McCarthy throw?? I know he has a straight fastball, a nice curve, and a change. But I wasn't aware that he throws 2 different change-ups. If somebody knows, maybe list them in order of dominacnce as well? Thanks :gulp:

DaleJRFan
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I've been wondering this for a while...exactly what pitches does McCarthy throw?? I know he has a straight fastball, a nice curve, and a change. But I wasn't aware that he throws 2 different change-ups. If somebody knows, maybe list them in order of dominacnce as well? Thanks :gulp:

I'll go see if I can find the picture on Google Images, but he does throw two change-ups... a typical circle change and a change with his ring finger and pinkie finger...

ondafarm
02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Most guys throw a circle change and or a straight change. McCarthy's good change is is straight change. It's more wear and tear on your fine muscles (as in used for curves) and requires a slightly different arm motion than the fastball. The circle change is easier to throw and uses the exact same motion as the fastball. The circle is harder to aim properly.

Dan Mega
02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
The circle is harder to aim properly.

You better believe it. I don't think I have seen anyone locate a circle change better than Johan Santana or Greg Maddux in his prime.

If McCarthy can get location down on a circle change, he might end of being the best on this staff in a few seasons.

edit: fixed spelling

NonetheLoaiza
02-17-2006, 01:18 PM

I shook his hand once in Boston last year, and his hand just totally engulfed mine. If he would have squeezed hard enough, he probably could have made my hand turn into a diamond.

tacosalbarojas
02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
You better believe it. I don't think I have seen anyone locate a circle change better than Johan Santana or Greg Maddux in his prime.

If McCarthy can get location down on a circle change, he might end of being the best on this staff in a few seasons.

edit: fixed spellingI think Dotson had a pretty good one there for a while in '83. IIRC, that was his number one pitch.

ondafarm
02-17-2006, 01:55 PM
I think Dotson had a pretty good one there for a while in '83. IIRC, that was his number one pitch.

He learnt it from the master, Tom Seaver, who first popularized it. I read about it in one of his books and taught it to several of my pitchers in Japan.

The circle only works if you are watching the man, not the ball, first. It's not that hard to recognize if your habit is to watch the ball only. It just floats in in a big arc. If it gets hit then it goes a long way.

SweetnesSox
02-17-2006, 04:40 PM
^lol learnt.

anyway, the only flaw is that you can tell when he's going to throw the change because his arm motion is different than his fastball or even his curve, IIRC. If he learned to hide that more, a la Santana, it would be huuuge.

KRS1
02-17-2006, 05:00 PM
A splitter would definately help him. His fastball is straight and even though he throws it well and has a good change to go with it a splitter would make him a better groundball and strikeout guy. (As if he needs that help.)

His fastball is straight when it's up in the zone, but he can make it a severe downplaner with some tilt when he's locating it low. Plus he already has that 2-seam/sinker he throws in to confuse hitters. If he can locate both of those pitches mixed with his 10-4 change-up, and his curve he really has no real need for a splitter. I think he should concentrate on consistency with what he has, so he wont give up bad hr's off of high fastball, and being forced away from his change-up when he's not on.

Pureone
02-17-2006, 05:43 PM

:contreras:
"You hold it like this"

:hawk
"....."

slavko
02-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Wasn't the issue that he isn't bulky enough? KW said he needs to put on some weight and work on his durability. I'd like to see that happen before he tries to throw any more pitches. He needs to learn to throw the ones he has now for 7 innings every fifth day.

You're going to be surprised when you see him in Spring Training. No, I don't think it's due to steroids.

soxfanreggie
02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
The thing about someone who is 20 or 22 putting on a lot of weight is different than someone who is 30 or 35 putting on that much weight. My dad didn't stop growing until he was 23, and I am 21 and still haven't stopped growing. It wouldn't surprise me if BMac put on 15-20 lbs. This past year I grew an inch and put on 20 lbs.