PDA

View Full Version : Texas has three guys who never panned out...

MattSharp
01-08-2002, 10:04 PM
It just came to my attention that the Rangers signed three guys this off-season who once had high expectations and never panned out.....

Todd Van Poppel :

From the Chicagoland area, heralded as the A's star, the guy who could keep the dynasty alive. Spent 4+ years with the A's and was horrible. After the sCrUBS converted him to a reliever he has had to solid seasons. Now 30, with 10 seasons under his belt, maybe he has finally become a decent pitcher.

Bill Pulsipher:

For some reason ESPN didn't he have his stats prior to last season. That was odd.....Anyway, I remember in like 1995, along with Paul Wilson and Jason Isringhausen, he was considered one of the Mets new stars and how they would be such a good 3 to anchor a rotation. Pulsipher got hurt and missed three seasons ('96-'98). He started a few games for the Brewers in '99 before becoming a reliever. He's 28 now and has bounced around from team to team w/o much luck....

Hideki Irabu:

I can't imagine there's anyone here who doesn't know about this guy. The Japanese phenom who never made it. He spent three years with the Yankees w/o the success everyone had hoped for. He only pitched 3 games last year for the Expos, and was part of and injury-plagued rotation there. Maybe he will come around, even though hes already 32.....

cornball
01-08-2002, 10:20 PM
You have to give them credit for trying....Everett and Rocker too...they will be interesting.......

Iguana775
01-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by cornball
You have to give them credit for trying....Everett and Rocker too...they will be interesting.......

at least the yankees know how to spend money. texas will not do a damn thing even with that big of a payroll.....though i am not sure of it, it has to be pretty big.

MattSharp
01-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

at least the yankees know how to spend money. texas will not do a damn thing even with that big of a payroll.....though i am not sure of it, it has to be pretty big.

I agree here. They did the same last year. Remember Caminiti, Galaragga and Velarde. Three veterans who played pretty ****ty. John Hart sure knows how to build ****ty teams, but he did do some good in Cleveland

kermittheefrog
01-09-2002, 02:18 AM
Texas is really trying hard but I think out of their retread heap they'll be lucky to get two major leaguers and I think those two are Everett and Rocker. Pulsipher and Irabu are both garbage. We saw Billy pitch and he can't do a damn thing right. In Irabu we're talking about a guy who missed a rehab start because he showed up to the park piss drunk. Not to mention the fact that he wasn't a good pitcher when sober. You guys haven't mentioned Dave Burba, he can't possibly be worse than last year and has a pretty good chance of being a mediocre innings eater, not a high upside but it looks like Texas could have 4 or 5 passable major league starting pitchers.

Chan Ho Park wasn't a good road pitcher for LA but I doubt he'll flat out bomb. Doug Davis is young and had a pretty good season for the Rangers last year. I mentioned Burba already. After that Texas has a slew of pitching prospects, out of which two starters could easily arise. Joaquin Benoit will probably get one spot and leave the other to be fought amongst Justin Duchscherer, Rob Bell and Aaron Myette. Andy Pratt might also be ready for the majors sometime this season. Rangers may have been a joke last year but this year I think they'll surprise a few people. Next year and beyond I think they'll be legitimately dangerous.

RichH55
01-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Is it time for John Hart and Dan Duquette to battle for the most rehabbing/retreads/comebacks? Could be interesting