PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez back to Texas

MattSharp
01-08-2002, 09:52 PM
ESPN is reporting he will sign a two-year deal with the Rangers....

Thoughts on this?

czalgosz
01-08-2002, 09:57 PM
I thought the Rangers were losing money.

Daver
01-08-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I thought the Rangers were losing money.

:tool

Perhaps you were absent the day that I told Congress almost all of the MLB teams were losing money?

czalgosz
01-08-2002, 10:09 PM
:payrod

Don't worry, Bud, I'll cover Juan Gone's checks 'till you guys start making money again!

Jerry_Manuel
01-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
ESPN is reporting he will sign a two-year deal with the Rangers....

Thoughts on this?

Yes....

1. They still need pitching. (Perhaps James Baldwin?)
2. John Hart is putting the band back together. 3 ex-Indians now on the team, since Hart became GM.

cornball
01-08-2002, 10:16 PM
What a lineup but still no pitching and if they start losing.....the clubhouse stories could be pretty funny

cheeses_h_rice
01-09-2002, 09:46 AM
I tell you what, though: the Rangers will be competitive, at least.

You have to feel for Angels' fans -- imagine trying to compete for a division title against the A's, M's and Rangers this year...sheesh.

It would drive me to :gulp:

czalgosz
01-09-2002, 10:37 AM
Actually, I think the Angels will finish with a better record than the Rangers will. That rotation will win games all by itself.

Soxheads
01-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Actually, I think the Angels will finish with a better record than the Rangers will. That rotation will win games all by itself.

My Predictions:
[list=1]
Oakland
Texas
Seattle
Anaheim
[/list=1]

I think the division will be very close, though.

cheeses_h_rice
01-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

My Predictions:
[list=1]
Oakland
Texas
Seattle
Anaheim
[/list=1]

I think the division will be very close, though.

So what you're saying is, Seattle experiences a team plane crash sometime in the next 2-3 months? Why would you pick Seattle behind Texas, let alone Oakland?

hold2dibber
01-09-2002, 12:23 PM
I don't think that Texas will finish above the Mariners, but the Mariners are definitely in for a BIG drop off this year. I see them winning somewhere between 88-92 games. They caught lightning in a bottle last year. They got career years out of Sele, Abbott, Boone and perhaps Cameron. They do have good young pitching, but they lost Sele and Abbott won't be anywhere near as productive this year. And I think Suzuki will not pitch as well as last year. Their line-up is less than fearsome. Edgar is slowing down, Boone will be lucky to put up .300-22-90 type numbers this year, they have Ruben Sierra (!) starting in left, and still no big bopper in the line-up. I see the AL West as follows:

1. Oakland (approx. 94 wins)
2. Seattle (approx. 89 wins)
3. Anaheim (approx. 82 wins)
4. Texas approx. (77 wins)

Oakland's starting pitching is heads and shoulders above the rest of the division, Koch is as good as Isringhausen, Damon sucked last year and won't be missed, and with Chavez, Dye, Tejada, Long and Justice, they'll have enough pop even without Ja. Giambi.

RichH55
01-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Another red flag on Helling....I was told by the board the reason Helling had to go was money...ie Texas needed to drop his salary to add Chan Ho Park....well money doesnt seem like much of an object in Texas and they still need pitching....so either Helling isnt as good as he used to be or John Hart is completely out of it....or both(my favorite option)

doublem23
01-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
And I think Suzuki will not pitch as well as last year.

FYI... Suzuki is Ichiro, the right fielder.... The closer is Kazuhiro Sasaki

Its not a big deal, but that threw me off for a few secs... Always make sure you get your Mainers right! LOL! :gulp:

RichH55
01-09-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

FYI... Suzuki is Ichiro, the right fielder.... The closer is Kazuhiro Sasaki

LOL...all the more reason why Suzuki isnt going to be that effective pitching this year:)

doublem23
01-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
LOL...all the more reason why Suzuki isnt going to be that effective pitching this year:)

I dunno... He's got a pretty good arm... :)