PDA

View Full Version : Odds & Ends 02/16/06 STL praises Big 6

SoLongFrank
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/6B649C481B79235C862571170021A12C?OpenDocument
Why can't I read such uplifting columns as this in Chicago papers?
- Best Big Five, even Bigger Big Six
- one of the deepest pens in all of baseball (closer=Jenks)

Runner ups:
2. Cards - Carpenter, Mulder, Suppan, Marquis, Ponson, Reyes (closer=Isringhausen).

3. Astros - Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe, & Clemens? Pen: Lidge, Qualls, Wheeler

4. Indians - Sabathia, Westbrook, Lee, Byrd. Pen: Wickman, Mota
5. Blue Jays - Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, Lilly. Pen: Ryan
6. Athletics - Haren, Harden, Zito, Blanton, Saarloos. Pen: Street, Duchscherer

No mention of the cubs & pitching is supposedly their strong part :)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060215sox,1,5492659.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Nice bit on Sean Tracey (25). As for Frank's locker I think that's just a DH thing.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=156476 Thome good to go!
3 CFers: Anderson, Mak, & Pods. I know many of you think Anderson is better with a glove than Rowand but Rowand is a web-gem producing CFer. I've not seen enough of Anderson to convince me he's that type of player. Rowand has been a big part of Ozzie's astounding record in 1 run games so I think Anderson has a lot to prove to a lot of people in that area.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/391834p-332306c.html
For years we have hated the Yankees. Does it feel good for them to hate us? Ozzie certainly is doing his share in making that happen.

Say what you will about him but he's a master at getting people to think about distractions to their game.

Finally, Sosa rejected the Nats latest offer & is hinting at retirement. Boo hoo.

likeawarlord
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Runner ups:

i BELIEVE you mean "runners up." :wink:

nice compilation job.

SouthSideHitman
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Meh, it's nice to get a shout-out, but I gotta disagree with the piece after us. I mean, the Cards were good last year, but they didn't do much to offset the loss of Matt Morris. I think it's hard to make an argument for anyone but Oakland having the second best rotation in baseball, they have what, like seven starters, not to mention a kickass bullpen.

spiffie
02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Meh, it's nice to get a shout-out, but I gotta disagree with the piece after us. I mean, the Cards were good last year, but they didn't do much to offset the loss of Matt Morris. I think it's hard to make an argument for anyone but Oakland having the second best rotation in baseball, they have what, like seven starters, not to mention a kickass bullpen.
NO! The Oakland team must be awful because Billy Beane uses stats, and BP uses stats and they don't know anything so Oakland's pitchers are all crappy and they will lose 162 games this year.

What amazes me is how much distance there really is between us and the other teams. Oakland probably does have the second best rotation, and they have Blanton and Saarloos as their 4 and 5, as opposed to ours which has some combo of Garcia, Garland, Vazquez or McCarthy as our 4 and 5.

pythons007
02-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Um, we have 6 starts who can eat 200+ innings up this year. Weshould have the best pitching staff in the league, not to mention that is how we won the Series last year. The only thing we need to worry about is seeing how well Jenks does with a full year as the closer. I love what he did last year, but he needs to get his curve in the strike zone at least once in a while to show he can actually do that. Once he does, that curve and his heater will be untouchable. I can't wait until the season starts!!!:gulp: :gulp:

SoxSideIrish
02-16-2006, 03:59 PM
what i found goofy was the lack of some names on the jays and a's staff lists. i agree for the most part that teams should be where they are on that ranking, but there was no mention of loiza on the a's, nor of josh towers on the jay's. harden, haren and zito are good, no brainer. add loiza to that (lets be honest, the guy played like crap that half season with us and the yankme's but he has been pretty dependable with the nats) and you have got a pretty darn good staff. kinda surprised he wasn't mentioned. not to mention that makes their staff very deep as well. and towers. young guy, i think he is a stud, or at least will be very soon. throws four pitches, all of them well, and put up a respectable 3.something era last season. i guess it's hard to get due credit when your teams picks up the $55 million .500 pitcher.

nice article pick-up though.

lostletters
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I will say this is the closest article I have seen to have a somewhat accurate top list of pitchers. Obviously, I would rank the A's number 2, and I would rank the Cardinals number 3 instead. The A's pitching is always very respectibe.

It is also nice to see a list without the cubs or yankees, because niether belong on any top list for pitching.

I also think the Twins pitching is not getting any respect, but to be honest I would put them at number 7.

likeawarlord
02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
what i found goofy was the lack of some names on the jays and a's staff lists. i agree for the most part that teams should be where they are on that ranking, but there was no mention of loiza on the a's, nor of josh towers on the jay's. harden, haren and zito are good, no brainer. add loiza to that (lets be honest, the guy played like crap that half season with us and the yankme's but he has been pretty dependable with the nats) and you have got a pretty darn good staff. kinda surprised he wasn't mentioned. not to mention that makes their staff very deep as well. and towers. young guy, i think he is a stud, or at least will be very soon. throws four pitches, all of them well, and put up a respectable 3.something era last season. i guess it's hard to get due credit when your teams picks up the $55 million .500 pitcher.

nice article pick-up though.
actually, josh towers turns 29 in like a week. and yeah, loaiza was solid last season in dc, but still just for the one season. also, don't forget that he's moving from the nl to the al.

UofCSoxFan
02-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I still don't know how you can keep the Evil Empire out of the top 6. I mean granted their pitching staff is still questionable, with the addition of Damon I'd say they have the best offense in baseball....I mean Cano is their only weak spot and he probably can still hit above league average at 2nd base.

SoLongFrank
02-17-2006, 02:12 PM
The avg age of the White Sox #1-2 (Buerhle, Garcia) is about 10 yrs younger than that of the Yankees. It's almost a certainty that sometime this year both the Unit & Moose will be spending time on the DL. Both NY teams have age problems & that's why I can't see either making a top 10 list.

Is Ozzie a genius or just a really lucky person? Are you surprised that in the week the White Sox have bull's eye's attached to their backs Ozzie picks a fight with A-Rod? I'm not. I tell you he is the master of distractions for other teams. It obviously didn't affect the team last year so why not pick new targets this year? I doubt if Ozzie thought it out that far in advance but the effect is the same. Instead of talking baseball in NY they are talking about Ozzie.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=157114
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ozzie17.html Ozzie has balls the size of King Kong!

It's hard not to agree with points he's making on freedom. I forgot the day considered to be the time in which American's stop working for the government & start working for themselves.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/392205p-332636c.html Boras' rebuttal.