PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson 100% healthy?

GoSox2K3
02-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Interesting article in the Sun-Times yesterday about Brian Anderson recovering from offseason wrist surgery. I hadn't heard about this. Is there reason to be concerned about his progress?

They also have interesting comments about Owens showing no improvement in his arm strength and not being ready at this time to play CF.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox15.html

Randar68
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Interesting article in the Sun-Times yesterday about Brian Anderson recovering from offseason wrist surgery. I hadn't heard about this. Is there reason to be concerned about his progress?

Anderson had a couple of wrist injuries and the last required surgery to insert a plate in hsi wrist to stabilize it and allow everything to heal while allowing him to play. It did limit some of his range of motion, however. He had that plate removed in Nov (IIRC?) and was quoted at Sox Fest as saying it hadn't felt so good since before the injuries started.

He will be fine and will be the opening day starter in CF.

They also have interesting comments about Owens showing no improvement in his arm strength and not being ready at this time to play CF.

Isn't this what we've been saying since mediot reports of him challenging for the CF job began?

He is not a CF'er if you have a team built around defense up the middle. His arm is not CF-caliber and he sufferred a shoulder injury very early in his pro career that may prevent it from ever being anything better than mediocre.

veeter
02-16-2006, 10:39 AM
These cub-times articles are called, "gee, the off-season is slow" articles. Removing the plate could very well make Anderson better.

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Consider the source. Joe Cowley wrote the story. No matter what happens with the Sox, he will find a way to make it negative.

Anderson is exactly right. Whenever one has surgery, there is a recovery process involved. This is old news that Cowley is reporting now just to create controversy.
:kukoo:

I don't think any of WSI's legitimate baseball experts ever pegged Jerry Owens for the CF job now or in the future. The Sox and Ozzie may have talked him up as a possible CF candidate, but I'd guess that's to give Anderson some competition to keep both he and Owens motivated. That would be like the Bears talking up Kyle Orton as legitimate competition for Rex Grossman for the 2006 NFL season.

If Owens has a future as a starting MLB leadoff hitter, it probably would be as a left fielder, where they can best "hide" his underwhelming arm. I'd guess the Sox are grooming him to replace Scott Podsednik whenever Pods reaches free agency and/or begins to lose his speed. Let's face it, Pods' lone asset is his base-stealing ability. Same with Owens.

The only nice thing he writes is about Mackowiak, who is an Oak Lawn native. Cowley hopes that writing nice things about Mackowiak will endear him to Sox fans and Mackowiak's friends and family, and ultimately sell more papers.

The Sox are blessed to have the best utility guy in the majors who can play throughout the field at a MLB-caliber level. But simply writing that doesn't make for a provocative story, so "Tailgunner Joe" has to crap all over Anderson, Owens, Pods and Borchard in an attempt to turn a positive - the fact that the Sox have plenty of options in the outfield - into a negative.
:kukoo: