PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on HOF voting

MattSharp
01-08-2002, 09:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/magazine/wulf_20020108.html

czalgosz
01-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I figured it out, where I differ from most people on the whole HOF issue.

Every year, when someone gets inducted, this syllogism (or a derivative) is spoken somewhere -

Player A is in the Hall of Fame.
Player B is as good, or better than Player A, and Player B is not in the Hall of Fame.

Therefore...

and most people's response would be -

Player B belongs in the Hall of Fame.

My response would be

Player A does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

And I will become a social outcast in asserting that point. Oh well.

Daver
01-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Join the club,I've been one for years.

kermittheefrog
01-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I figured it out, where I differ from most people on the whole HOF issue.

Every year, when someone gets inducted, this syllogism (or a derivative) is spoken somewhere -

Player A is in the Hall of Fame.
Player B is as good, or better than Player A, and Player B is not in the Hall of Fame.

Therefore...

and most people's response would be -

Player B belongs in the Hall of Fame.

My response would be

Player A does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

Man you're pretty extreme with the whole no-McGwire, Jackson got in on personality stance. There is a damn good case McGwire is better than Harmon Killebrew, does that mean Killebrew doesn't belong in the hall?

czalgosz
01-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Man you're pretty extreme with the whole no-McGwire, Jackson got in on personality stance. There is a damn good case McGwire is better than Harmon Killebrew, does that mean Killebrew doesn't belong in the hall?

McGwire doesn't come close to Killebrew if you adjust for era. Killebrew put up huge numbers during the '60s and '70s, when noone was putting up huge numbers. If you add in the fact that Killebrew had 10 great years and McGwire 5, it's no contest.

There are two players that were helped more than anyone when they juiced the ball after the strike (and noone can convince me otherwise on this issue) - Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire. I think we're going to have to wait a good 10-15 years before we can see what effect the juiced ball is having on stats, and be able to accurately compare them to guys from the "pre-juiced" period.