PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions/Rituals

Milkman43
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
What are some of your guys superstitions and rituals before and during games? During the playoffs, I wore the same thing, ate the same thing, and watched every game in the same place the entire postseason. I guess it worked.

comiskey2000
02-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Becuase what I do in the morning affects the Sox play, I did the same thing everyday in the playoffs. Never washed my hands, showered or left my house. Superstitions do not do anything. Especially from us fans. Not to damper on anyone's parade, but lets stick to watching the games. Let the players handle it.

csufsoxfan
02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Basically last year the sox dominated till august. At that time i had my cousins in chicago send me some new sox gear to replace my old. Well once i got it and began to wear the gear, the sox started struggling. So late sept. I thought the clothes i recieved might be bad luck. So i set them off to the side, and the sox won the division that morning. So i didn't touch the clothes or hat day after day and the sox kept winning. well game 1 of the alcs i picked up the shirt, and what happens the Sox lose. So, i dont touch any sox gear the rest of the playoffs, and the sox win out and become WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS. So next season i wont be touching any of the sox gear i got except on off days.

thomas35forever
02-15-2006, 11:57 PM
During the last game I went to, I needed something to help me break my losing streak and since the season was coming down to the wire, I brought the first Sox cap I ever got, which was when I was almost two months old. Sure enough, they had an offensive explosion early and I witnessed a White Sox Winner!

HomeFish
02-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Before Game 1 of the ALCS, I shaved. I also went to that game in a Sox jersey. I did neither of these things during the ALDS (I attended both home ALDS games in "civilian" clothes, though I wore a green Sox cap the rest of the night after Game 2, but not during the game)

I did neither of those things again during the rest of the playoffs.

LuvSox
02-16-2006, 12:51 AM
On a regular basis I do nothing like that.
But during the playoffs I wore my Sox hockey jersey for every game they won.

doublem23
02-16-2006, 12:52 AM
I shaved just before the Sox won the division in Detroit, and then I didn't shave again until the end of the post-season. I should note that what facial hair I grow, it grows in thin and patchy, so I looked like a complete moron for quite some time. Couldn't bring myself to the razor, though.

SouthSideHitman
02-16-2006, 01:15 AM
I too wore the same shirt for the entire world series, because as I was watching game one, I spilled ketchup on my shirt. So during the pitching change when they brought in Neil Cotts, I changed and obviously he and Jenks struck out the side, so the die was cast.

I always bring my scorebook to the games and make absolutly sure that I get EVERY play recorded (even the last out, which is difficult when celebrating after a win).

My final ritual is never being able to sleep before Opening Day, Christmas doesn't do it for me anymore, but baseball still does. (This was doubly true before the playoffs last yer).

C-Dawg
02-16-2006, 06:55 AM
I used to be convinced that whichever side of the CTA Blue Line train I was seated on, on my way to the game, would play a part in whether the Sox won or lost. This foolish theory was eventually replaced with the "Lucky Parking Spot" ritual at the Forest Park El terminal, which has been a lot more successful for me.

Jjav829
02-16-2006, 08:52 AM
I shaved just before the Sox won the division in Detroit, and then I didn't shave again until the end of the post-season. I should note that what facial hair I grow, it grows in thin and patchy, so I looked like a complete moron for quite some time. Couldn't bring myself to the razor, though.

Doub = http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/images/kyle-orton-beard.jpg?

Baby Fisk
02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't believe in superstitions, but my pre-game ritual usually involves playing the first 6 tracks of The Music's self-titled debut CD. Track 6 ends in a huge crescendo and I time it to end just as the Sox game goes on the air.

During the playoffs, I blasted track 10 of the Batman Begins soundtrack just before each game.

AZChiSoxFan
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Last year in February, I got my Sox Pride black wristband and started wearing it all the time right up through spring training. Then for some reason, I took it off before opening day and forgot to put it back on for the first game. Well, the Sox won that game and within a short time, were 16-4. I never touched that thing again the entire season for fear it would bring bad luck.

Bobby Thigpen
02-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't do anything superstitious when I watch games at home, but when I go to a game I always wear my gray authentic Bobby Thigpen jersey. All I have to say about my jersey is that it is undefeated in every wearing. I think it's record is now something like 11-0. Not too shabby.

Rooney4Prez56
02-16-2006, 10:15 AM
I wore my Sox wristband, my Mark Buehrle jersey, and the same Sox cap for each game during the playoffs. I also stood up from the 7th inning on for each game ( my legs were dying during Game 3 of the Series).

1951Campbell
02-16-2006, 10:19 AM
My "Comiskey Park: 1910-1990" t-shirt worn for every playoff game propelled the Sox to victory.

spiffie
02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't know so much about superstition. I know I didn't shave or shower much during the playoffs, but that was mostly due to the fact that I was a wreck most of the time with the games taking all of my energy just watching them.

Whenever we drive to the game, we have our mix cd of all the ballpark music that we blast as we're coming down LSD on our way to the park. It's always fun to see another sox fan on the road give us the nod as they hear Captain Stubby or Steam blaring out the windows.

soxfan13
02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I didnt shave for the whole playoffs. The first thing i did when i got home from houston was get the razor out :D:

jugvara
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
good thread. i wear the same jersey that the players wear on a given day. i have pinstripe, alternate black and road gray jerseys. on their off day, i wear a throwback jersey.