PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Weaver signs

Baby Fisk
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
with the Los Angeles Angels Formerly of Anaheim. One year, dollar amount unknown.

linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060215&content_id=1311871&vkey=pr_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana)

palehozenychicty
02-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Good signing for the Angels. If he can get them about the same numbers this year, not a bad deal. They should ask him to take up batting, too. I mean, that Angels lineup is a Murderers' Row.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
XM 175 is saying 8.4 million.

pdimas
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
ESPN says 8.5 :o: either way i think that is still waaaay too much. Boy these Weavers have a pretty inflated sense of self worth.

caulfield12
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
ESPN says 8.5 :o: either way i think that is still waaaay too much. Boy these Weavers have a pretty inflated sense of self worth.

Either genius (unlikely) or a disaster. This gives them at least somewhat similar pitching to the Sox, but tons of offensive question marks still.

His brother Jared, the first round pick from a year or so ago, is also in their system.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
ESPN says 8.5 :o: either way i think that is still waaaay too much. Boy these Weavers have a pretty inflated sense of self worth.If some team is willing to give it to him it's not inflated, is it?

I like Weaver and they needed somebody to push Santana and Escobar to where they belong.

Brian26
02-15-2006, 04:31 PM
If some team is willing to give it to him it's not inflated, is it?

No. It defies all logic and common sense, but in reality its not inflated. Kudos once again to KW on his previous signings of Garland, Garcia and Co though.

TaylorStSox
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
There's no way Jeff Weaver is worth 8.5. That's just completely crazy. It could be worse than Wright.

Although, I'm sure he'll pitch more than Dreifort.

areilly
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Weaver's a decent addition to any staff; I'm just glad he didn't end up in Cleveland (who he was apparently in talks with).

Hagan
02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I think this is a bad signing. He is an inning eater but the numbers he put up last year were in dodger stadium where his style translates a little better than they will in the Angels stadium. He gives up a lot of home runs and had a 1.00 groundball to fly ball ratio last year. Also that dodgers Defense helped him out a nice amount last year compaired to his years before.

1951Campbell
02-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Hmm, what's that Reinsy quote? "When it come to paying players, we're at the mercy of our stupidest competitor"?

Looks like LAAAAAAAAAAAA is "stupidest" today.

samram
02-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I think this is a bad signing. He is an inning eater but the numbers he put up last year were in dodger stadium where his style translates a little better than they will in the Angels stadium. He gives up a lot of home runs and had a 1.00 groundball to fly ball ratio last year. Also that dodgers Defense helped him out a nice amount last year compaired to his years before.

That's a good point about the Dodgers' defense. I know Cabrera and Kennedy are nice players, but I don't know about McPherson or Kotchman. Maybe they'll put Alfonzo at 3B and McPherson at 1B, which could help. Of course, who knows if Erstad can play CF anymore.

soxinem1
02-16-2006, 01:16 AM
If some team is willing to give it to him it's not inflated, is it?

I like Weaver and they needed somebody to push Santana and Escobar to where they belong.

Don't forget their silly plans to make Hector Carrasco a starter. I like Weaver for his grittiness, but it is sure strange why all these teams who need starters passed on him......

NonetheLoaiza
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
You're basically paying him to eat up innings and for his experience. 8.5 seems like alot, but there are alot of players out there getting around that amount for having the same numbers as Weaver. The Angels are just looking for a guy to be a stopgap and eat up some innings. It's not a bad signing, and if they have the money and willingness to sign him, then 8.5 isn't really inflated.