PDA

View Full Version : AL Central Preview from SI

Chisox1500
02-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Some kind words...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/john_donovan/02/15/alcentral.preview/index.html

soxfan13
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
dont forget they also picked the Bears to be the worse team in football this year:D:

SoxSpeed22
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Just out of curiousity, how exactly are the Indians battle-tested after choking their way out of the playoffs last year?
:?:

kittle42
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
dont forget they also picked the Bears to be the worse team in football this year:D:

Worse between them and which specific other team? :cool:

Chisox003
02-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Just out of curiousity, how exactly are the Indians battle-tested after choking their way out of the playoffs last year?
That's the Indian fan argument ....

"Ya sure we didn't improve that much, but the young guys are a year older so they'll be that much better."

Pleeeease....:rolleyes:

crazyozzie02
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
some flaws but overall a good article

CHISOXFAN13
02-15-2006, 02:05 PM

You can call it a choke it you want, but there was also a period in time where they would go weeks where it seemed like they wouldn't lose. They were 15 games back and battled back to participate in a pennant race up until the last day of the season.

I'd say that makes them battle tested.

They won't win the division, but they are the only team who can make things interesting again.

soxfan13
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM
You can call it a choke it you want, but there was also a period in time where they would go weeks where it seemed like they wouldn't lose. They were 15 games back and battled back to participate in a pennant race up until the last day of the season.

I'd day that makes them battle tested.

They won't win the division, but they are the only team who can make things interesting again.

Perfectly said except for the "day" instead of "say":D:

CHISOXFAN13
02-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Perfectly said except for the "day" instead of "say":D:

Lol, you caught that before I could edit it!

DumpJerry
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
The Tribe did not choke last year. They played lousy baseball all season except for an eight week or so period where they played as if they had made a deal with the Devil. If they had been in any other division last year, they probably would have been division champs. Too bad they were on the tracks of the White Sox Destiny Train. The Sox were the only team in MLB who were capable to holding off the Tribe until the came back to Earth that fateful Sunday in Kansas City.

April through immediate post ASB, they stank (remember, we swept them in 4 at their place right after the ASB). Last week of September,they stank real bad. If you are a playoff caliber team, you play consistent excellent baseball all season long. Kinda like the White Sox.

caulfield12
02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
The Tribe did not choke last year. They played lousy baseball all season except for an eight week or so period where they played as if they had made a deal with the Devil. If they had been in any other division last year, they probably would have been division champs. Too bad they were on the tracks of the White Sox Destiny Train. The Sox were the only team in MLB who were capable to holding off the Tribe until the came back to Earth that fateful Sunday in Kansas City.

April through immediate post ASB, they stank (remember, we swept them in 4 at their place right after the ASB). Last week of September,they stank real bad. If you are a playoff caliber team, you play consistent excellent baseball all season long. Kinda like the White Sox.

Well, the Cardinals were pretty solid last year too.

SoxSpeed22
02-15-2006, 04:51 PM
What I was gettin' at earlier was that every team has good stretches and bad ones. The fact that Cleveland played terrible when it counted was why I called it a choke. We had our amazing stretch at the beginning of the year, they just happened to have theirs near the end. We had a bad one in August, hit another good one in October. And so forth.

ondafarm
02-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Had the Tribe GM actually deserved Executive of the Year then I would agree with you, but looking at the off-season moves, I think the Indians are marginal as far as being able to make the post-season. Remember, the Gods of baseball will annoint the Yankee$ as the AL east champs. I think the Indians and Blue jays will slug it out for the Wild Card.

I do not like the moves the Indians have made this year (from the Indians standpoint.) I love them as a White Sox fan however.

Allowing Howry to walk was stupid. He was their 8th inning. Not getting Trevor Hoffman to sign and having to resign your old closer just means he's unlikely to repeat last year's success. (Closers typically have good year- bad year cycles.) Jason Johnson and Paul Byrd are not even close to upgrades on Milwood and Lee. Marte is a year away and no way that Jason Michaels does nearly the same damage as Coco Crisp routinely did with the bat.

They have some good players but not enough.

SBSoxFan
02-15-2006, 06:16 PM

I'd say that makes them battle tested.

Weren't they supposed to be "battle tested" going into 2005 as well after getting to within 1 game of the Twins late in '04?

SOX ADDICT '73
02-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Some kind words...
Not for Aaron Rowand.
Rowand wasn't a great player by any measure. He was probably no better than the fourth- or fifth-best center fielder in the American League in '05.
Ouch. Well, at least this means we can feel better about trading him away.

MikeLove
02-15-2006, 09:44 PM
i gotta stop reading stuff like this! im getting waayyy too excited for the season =) Man our rotation is so scary when you read stuff like this about it.

Chisox1500
02-15-2006, 09:59 PM
4th or 5th is being kind. I loved A-Row, but I think that we'll forget about him quickly once the season begins.

SoxSpeed22
02-16-2006, 12:24 AM
4th or 5th is being kind. I loved A-Row, but I think that we'll forget about him quickly once the season begins.His bat will not be difficult to replace. People are more concerned about defense and chemistry.

Tragg
02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
The baseball world didn't even know who Rowand was until that series in Yankee stadium in which he went a long way to run-down balls and we won some close low-scoring games.
The Yankees raved about him, and that's all you need to get your star to rise from good to great or near great.