PDA

View Full Version : Odds & Ends: newswire 02/15/06

SoLongFrank
02-15-2006, 11:54 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=156025
Tejada for trade again. I like Uribe. Let the cubs or A's go after him.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=156042
Trainer-watch: Thome (elbow, back), Pods & Dye (hernia's), Crede & Hermanson (back)

2005 innings: Mark Buehrle (260), Freddy Garcia (249), Jon Garland (237) and Jose Contreras (236), Vazquez (215). Because of the WBC BMac fig's
to get starts during the season at the expense of both Garcia & Vazquez.

Biggest ? mark: CF. Can any one provide the stellar D that Rowand did? That was a big factor in the WC CWS going 42-15 in 1 run games (incl post).

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060214sox,1,5230514.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Out of options: Borchard, Gload, & Munoz. New lefty: Tucker (25, Padres) '03 SL all-star, extensive surgery in '04, struggled in '05.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3660337.html
Some owners are not happy with the White Sox boosting their payroll to $97 mil.

Wow! Astros box seats have gone from $29/2000 to $47/2005. Astros figure to see $160 mil in rev in 2006.
Bad theory: A team good enough to make the post, is good enough to win a championship.
Good theory: A team WITH some great arms good enough to make the post, is good enough to win a championship.

Tejada to Astros? GM offered Brad Lidge, Willy Taveras and Adam Everett.
That would shift the balance in the NLC.
-Astros return a top rotation, solid pen, & solid lineup. Tejada would make it a foregone conclusion.
-St. Louis Cardinals need Scott Rolen in the lineup more than ever.
-Cubs have addressed their needs more but success still rides on the health of Wood & Prior.
-Brewers have more talent than both but it's unseasonsed.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060215/SPORTS0102/602150339/1007/SPORTS
And lastly, 6ft RH Tim Redding(28) is coming to camp. Signed for a base of $500K + inc ($250K), would make $13K/mo if he goes to the Knights.
WC CWS needs? 3 in for mop-up & an in of setup the next night.

A former NYY, Cinn, Atl, & Tam all had interest but felt he was too much of a health risk. That was before he clocked at 92 mph off the mound the other day.

Randar68
02-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Biggest ? mark: CF. Can any one provide the stellar D that Rowand did? That was a big factor in the WC CWS going 42-15 in 1 run games (incl post).

The biggest ?-marks are 2nd lefty in the pen and Crede's back.

Anderson is superior defensively to Rowand and will be hitting at the the bottom of the order. One of the very last things on my mind is concern for the CF position.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 12:13 PM
The owners aren't happy with Jerry Reinsdorf's free-spending ways? When did we enter bizarro world?:o:

Unregistered
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
The owners aren't happy with Jerry Reinsdorf's free-spending ways? When did we enter bizarro world?:o:The "owners," as in the Astros owner that decided to subtract from his team and go on the cheap, while increasing ticket prices, rather than add...

Realist
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I'd like to see this statement justified:

This is where it gets complicated. Does spending more money guarantee the White Sox will win another championship? No, it doesn't. On the first day of spring training, they're probably not even as good as the Yankees or Red Sox.

:?:

DaleJRFan
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
The biggest ?-marks are 2nd lefty in the pen and Crede's back.

Anderson is superior defensively to Rowand and will be hitting at the the bottom of the order. One of the very last things on my mind is concern for the CF position.

Hey Randar... what's all this noise in the media about Anderson's wrist injury and how the Sox will break camp with Mackowiak as the starting CF??

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Randar... what's all this noise in the media about Anderson's wrist injury and how the Sox will break camp with Mackowiak as the starting CF??Anderson had a wrist injury a year or two ago. He had a plate in his wrist that was removed last fall, which should help. At SoxFest he said it feels a lot better. I can't even imagine trying to hit with a plate in my wrist.

News Media:
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/images/head-up-your-ass.jpg

Stoky44
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
2005 innings: Mark Buehrle (260), Freddy Garcia (249), Jon Garland (237) and Jose Contreras (236), Vazquez (215). Because of the WBC Fingernails on a blackboard fig's
to get starts during the season at the expense of both Garcia & Vazquez.

Ha, ha. Did you mean "B Mac" You have to put in a space between the b and m, otherwise you get "BMAC"

daveeym
02-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the links but it's a bit difficult to read all your additions. There's some good info in there if you can decipher it.

Tim Redding, why would the Sox offer him that much money? That's the only thing questionable there. But all these injured pitcher signings and the turn arounds had by Sox pitchers in the recent past have me stuck with the following image:

Deep in the bowels of US Cellular Field you can come across a non-descript door that almost blends in with the drab grey concrete. Copper and cast iron piping runs along the ceiling blocking the top 1/4 of the door. On one side is a broken down Churro stand that now reads "hurro." On the other side is a steel shelving unit full of old hot dog trays, scorecards, programs and cotton candy carriers used by the vendors.

The door has no handle and is secured by a latch and an old lock, which today is left undone. Upon entering the room the door squeals in agony and the odor of stale cigar smoke is evident. Bags of McDonalds, Wendys and BK litter the floor of the room. There are numerous tables and shelving units with hundred of video tapes and reels of film piled upon them, marked with unintelligible scribbles.

Off in the corner behind a table piled with at least 500 tapes and reels of film is a dim light on the floor, coming from what appears to be another door. You begin to notice a fast paced clickety-clickety-clickety sound. As you near the door the sound gets louder and you realize the floor is covered in broken beer bottles. You hear what sounds like maniacal cackling alternating with thunderous boos and occasionally glass being shattered.

As you slowly creep nearer to the door, being careful not to disturb the shattered glass on the floor, a chill goes down your spine. You reach the door and begin to inch it open, cringing and shuddering with every sound it makes. You go to look through the crack of the door when a beer bottle suddenly crashes against it causing you to wet your pants a little. You attempt to look through the crack again when you see the most horrific sight you've ever imagined!

In front of a large projection screen sits Don Cooper and Herm Schneider, in oversized tighty whities that leave nothing to the imagination, as you can see their old man balls dangling in the wind. They're passing hot wings back and forth with most of the sauce ending up on their stained wife beaters. On a table in front of them are dozens of tapes and empty beer bottles. A garbage can full of iced beer to the side of each of them.

You look to the projection screen and see a wide angled shot of a pitcher completing a pitch, the camera zooms in on him and you can tell it's Carey Woods.

Coop and Herm leap from their seats, balls still dangling in the wind, and begin booing and screaming "Flounder" while lunging toward the table. They begin throwing beer bottles at the giant image of Woods scowling on the screen, flinging them at an alarming rate. The screen goes black and they slowly settle back into their seats, grab another beer and twist the top off with their belly buttons.

Another pitcher comes onto the screen and you can make out Redding on the back of his jersey. Coop stares intently at the screen, his interest seems to be peaking. He nudges Herm with a meatless chicken wing, leaving a trail of sauce, bleu cheese and saliva across Herm's cheek and shoulder. Coop's frantically trying to talk but all that comes from his mouth is unintelligible mumblings and bits of chicken. Herm now jumps to his feet and in an eerie low pitch drawl says, "We can rebuild him!!!". Coop swallows the rest of his chicken and begins laughing hysterically. "IT'S ALIVE!!!!" he shouts.

As you begin to creep away from the door, trying to remain quiet and keep from vomiting, you can hear Coop quietly whispering, "This one is for Master Williams."

munchman33
02-15-2006, 01:01 PM
The owners aren't happy with Jerry Reinsdorf's free-spending ways? When did we enter bizarro world?:o:

Well, remember now. Jerry always said he'd open the purse strings if we went out. Attendance went up at the end of last year. And sales this year have skyrocketed.

Okay, now I'm gonna stop. I don't wanna get banned. :redface:

Tekijawa
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the links but it's a bit difficult to read all your additions. There's some good info in there if you can decipher it.

Tim Redding, why would the Sox offer him that much money? That's the only thing questionable there. But all these injured pitcher signings and the turn arounds had by Sox pitchers in the recent past have me stuck with the following image:

Deep in the bowels of US Cellular Field I come across a non-descript door that almost blends in with the drab grey concrete. Copper and cast iron piping runs along the ceiling blocking the top 1/4 of the door. On one side is broken down Churro stand that now reads "hurro." On the other side is a steal shelving unit full of old hot dog trays, scorecards, programs and cotton candy carriers used by the vendors.

The door has no handle and is secured by a latch and an old lock, which today is left undone. Upon entering the room the door squeals in agony and the odor of stale cigar smoke is evident. Bags of McDonalds, Wendys and BK litter the floor of the room. There are numerous tables and shelving units with hundred of video tapes and reels of film piled upon them, marked with unintelligible scribbles.

Off in the corner behind a table piled with at least 500 tapes and reels of film is a dim light on the floor, coming from what appears to be another door. You begin to notice a fast paced clickety-clickety-clickety sound. As you near the door the sound gets louder and you realize the floor is covered in broken beer bottles. You hear what sounds like maniacal cackling alternating with thunderous boos and occasionally glass being shattered.

As you slowly creep nearer to the door, being careful not to disturb the shattered glass on the floor, a chill goes down your spine. You reach the door and begin to inch it open, cringing and shuddering with every sound it makes. You go to look through the crack of the door when a beer bottle suddenly crashes against it causing you to wet your pants a little. You attempt to look through the crack again when you see the most horrific sight you've ever imagined!

In front of a large projection screen sits Don Cooper and Herm Schneider, in oversized tighty whities that leave nothing to the imagination, as you can see their old man balls dangling in the wind. They're passing hot wings back and forth with most of the sauce ending up on their stained wife beaters. On a table in front of them are dozens of tapes and empty beer bottles. A garbage can full of iced beer to the side of each of them.

You look to the projection screen and see a wide angled shot of a pitcher completing a pitch, the camera zooms in on him and you can tell it's Carey Woods.

Coop and Herm leap from their seats, balls still dangling in the wind, and begin booing and screaming "Flounder" while lunging toward the table. They begin throwing beer bottles at the giant image of Woods scowling on the screen, flinging them at an alarming rate. The screen goes black and they slowly settle back into their seats, grab another beer and twist the top off with their belly buttons.

Another pitcher comes onto the screen and you can make out Redding on the back of his jersey. Coop stares intently at the screen, his interest seems to be peaking. He nudges Herm with a meatless chicken wing, leaving a trail of sauce, bleu cheese and saliva across Herm's cheek and shoulder. Coop's frantically trying to talk but all that comes from his mouth is unintelligible mumblings and bits of chicken. Herm now jumps to his feet and in an eerie low pitch drawl says, "We can rebuild him!!!". Coop swallows the rest of his chicken and begins laughing hysterically. "IT'S ALIVE!!!!" he shouts.

As you begin to creep away from the door, trying to remain quiet and keep from vomiting, you can hear Coop quietly whispering, "This one is for Master Williams."

:rolling: :moonwalk:

That was amazing, the sad part of it is I could actually picture the whole thing in my head as I was reading and I almost started to believe what I was reading was true! Better hope Oprah doesn't get a hold of this!!

Unregistered
02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
...:o:

Baby Fisk
02-15-2006, 01:11 PM
That scene is the most disturbing (and hilarious) thing I've read this off-season. :o: :rolling: :o: :rolling:

daveeym
02-15-2006, 01:21 PM
That scene is the most disturbing (and hilarious) thing I've read this off-season. :o: :rolling: :o: :rolling:Yeah it was just going to be the two of them reviewing film with me using the animal house reference and then it got a mind of it's own. Eh, it's better than working.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
...:mg: I'm going to have nightmares tonight. :cower:

soxtalker
02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd like to see this statement justified:

:?:This is where it gets complicated. Does spending more money guarantee the White Sox will win another championship? No, it doesn't. On the first day of spring training, they're probably not even as good as the Yankees or Red Sox.

That is an interesting statement; I'd also be interested in understanding why he thinks that the Red Sox or Yankees might be better. It isn't the lack of respect that concerns me. The White Sox are generally getting a LOT of respect in the national media -- both from the WS win and the moves that KW has made over the winter. But maybe he's spotted some potential flaws (or advantages in the other teams) that we haven't seen. Could lead to an interesting discussion.

Hangar18
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM

heh heh heh

Randar68
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey Randar... what's all this noise in the media about Anderson's wrist injury and how the Sox will break camp with Mackowiak as the starting CF??

Basically what No. 2 said. Anderson is still the starting CF'er on opening day. If Rob M is our starting CF'er, god help us. He can play it here and there to give a guy a day off, but on a regular basis? Eeeek gads.

SoLongFrank
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the B Mac note. Maybe you'll share the history of how that came to be.

As for the "It's Alive!" story .. never would have imagined that coming from the Redding story in my lifetime. At first I was :o: but then I was :roflmao: