PDA

View Full Version : great Bobby Jenks article

my5thbench
02-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Bob Nightengale in the Feb 8-14 USA T oday Sports Weekly had a nice article about the big kid. I had no idea his background was so rough.

quotes etc.:

"That's why I hate my parents. I'll always hate them for what they did. They're not part of my life anymore & they never will be." Jenks was the oldest of 3 boys born to Robert Jenks & Carla Stage. He says there were drinking binges & beatings.

"I just started doing my own thing."

Jenks only salvation was baseball. His pitching arm enabling him to throw a 100-mile fastball and a knee-buckling curveball was his ticket out of town.

"You hate to think what would have happened to Bobby without baseball" says Mark Potoshnik 39 a baseball coach who brought Bobby into his Seattle-area home at age 18. "I think he'd be a laborer in the woods just making enough money to fish & hunt & drink beer."

Jenks was scolded in the minore for bringing beer to the hotel pool. He was one of seven players who brought beer on the team bus with Double A Arkansas, only to be demoted when he yelled back at manager Doug Sisson.
In what ultimately lead to his dismissal from the Angels, he got into a fight with a teamate....

Kenny Williams said"I told Bobby the first day of camp: you're not going to make this team. You're going to double A. But there will be a time when you will be in the major leagues this year. It's all on you. Not just on your talent, but your behavior. I don't care what you did in the past. I do care what you do in the present."

Today the same kid who was ineligible to pitch for his high school after his sophomore year was not only instrumental in the White Sox 1st World Series title since 1917, but now is a huge key to their hopes of repeating.

It's quite a rags to riches story, I'm sorry I could find no link.

tick53
02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Bob Nightengale in the Feb 8-14 USA T oday Sports Weekly had a nice article about the big kid. I had no idea his background was so rough.

quotes etc.:

"That's why I hate my parents. I'll always hate them for what they did. They're not part of my life anymore & they never will be." Jenks was the oldest of 3 boys born to Robert Jenks & Carla Stage. He says there were drinking binges & beatings.

"I just started doing my own thing."

Jenks only salvation was baseball. His pitching arm enabling him to throw a 100-mile fastball and a knee-buckling curveball was his ticket out of town.

"You hate to think what would have happened to Bobby without baseball" says Mark Potoshnik 39 a baseball coach who brought Bobby into his Seattle-area home at age 18. "I think he'd be a laborer in the woods just making enough money to fish & hunt & drink beer."

Jenks was scolded in the minore for bringing beer to the hotel pool. He was one of seven players who brought beer on the team bus with Double A Arkansas, only to be demoted when he yelled back at manager Doug Sisson.
In what ultimately lead to his dismissal from the Angels, he got into a fight with a teamate....

Kenny Williams said"I told Bobby the first day of camp: you're not going to make this team. You're going to double A. But there will be a time when you will be in the major leagues this year. It's all on you. Not just on your talent, but your behavior. I don't care what you did in the past. I do care what you do in the present."

Today the same kid who was ineligible to pitch for his high school after his sophomore year was not only instrumental in the White Sox 1st World Series title since 1917, but now is a huge key to their hopes of repeating.

It's quite a rags to riches story, I'm sorry I could find no link.

Nice article Bench, Thanks!