PDA

View Full Version : What about Millwood?

cornball
01-08-2002, 05:58 PM
After looking at Peter Gammons lastest on ESPN.com, i see he lists the Braves rotation of Maddux, Glavin, Jason Marquis, and Oladis Perez. No metion of Lopez and Millwood....whats the deal? Is Millwood available? I heard quiet talk the Sox were interested in him and that would be a huge boost.....what do you guys think or know of this?

MattSharp
01-08-2002, 06:43 PM
I had heard this a while ago, but was never really for it. I think he's great when hes in a rotation that good. I don't think he has ever had ace potential. I think at best he is a good No 3., similar to Ritchie

kermittheefrog
01-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Scary thing about Millwood: the two most similar pitchers to him through this age are Jack McDowell and Ben MacDonald. Two guys whose careers ended because of injury. And Millwood has been pretty injury prone lately.

cornball
01-08-2002, 10:12 PM
I guess it just might sound better with Buehrle, Richie, Garland, Millwood, Parque vs. Wright or Glover....and he only makes a little over 3 million......better than we have and playoff expierence....seems like we are always playing for the future that hasnt come in 84 years

RichH55
01-09-2002, 03:39 PM
I would take Millwood in a second....I'm thinking at this point he's a guy who could use a change of scenery, and Millwood isnt that old, so if he is going to follow Black Jacks career path we would still get a few more good years out of him....I guess it all depends on what the price to get him is...c'est la vie

MattSharp
01-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Yea price is a big part of it. If it wouldn't cost them a bunch of young stars then maybe. But he seems like the kind of guy the Sox have gambled on and lost with before....

Foulke You
01-09-2002, 05:59 PM
I don't know too much about Millwood. What kind of pitcher is he? Control or hurler? If he's like Blackjack then he'd have to have a nasty splitter because that was McDowell's "out" pitch.

Bolnicar
01-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Millwoods numbers have declined due to injuries, but he would come much cheaper than someone like Wells did.....

The gamble would probobly be worth it with numbers like he put up in 98....

18-7
2.68 era
1.00 whip
205 k's
230 innings

I remeber reading earlier the braves might have wanted liefer because of the fact that they have no first baseman (wes helms)

If i were the Sox i would pursue it, but you know the likelihood of that....

doublem23
01-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Bolnicar
If i were the Sox i would pursue it, but you know the likelihood of that....

:KW
If we trade Mark Buehrle, Joe Borchard, Paul Konerko, Kris Honel, and Jon Rauch, the Braves said we could nab Kevin Milwood!

BTW, Welcome to WSI, Bolnicar.

Paulwny
01-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Welcome to WSI !!!!

Jerry_Manuel
01-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Paul,
What's the latest on El Duque?

RichH55
01-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the WSI.....and man Liefer for Millwood sounds damn good.....With Royce on the team Liefer, Crede, and Graff will be struggling for at-bats....deal Liefer get yourself a pitcher with huge upside and ease the glut a bit

Daver
01-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Paul,

An Oriole uniform will fit him well,to go along with the rest of the retirees on that team.

Huisj
01-09-2002, 09:41 PM
A few years ago when he was pitching super good, Millwood was fun to watch. He had an almost explosive looking high fastball that he would blow by batters, and also a knee buckling sharp breaking ball. I remember hearing talk that he had a lot of mechanical problems the last two years that really hurt his control, and he had a few nagging injuries, but his stuff still isn't that bad I don't think. Intriguing possibility.

kermittheefrog
01-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Millwood seems like a risk. The Braves have worked him pretty hard and the only year he was better than "pretty good" was 1999. You take away his 1999 season and he's Jason Schmidt II. It seemed like he was going to be a star but maybe 1999 was the fluke rather than what we should expect from him. Also Millwood is an extreme flyball pitcher who has struggled with allowing homers in the vastlands of Atlanta. Comiskey is a very good home run hitters park and doesn't seem like a good place for Millwood.

Paulwny
01-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Paul,

No other rumors other then last month's "he's available".
The biggest problem , I think, how old is he?
Michael Kay, yankmee broadcaster and one of the few who calls it as he sees it, last summer mentioned that El Duque could be 46yrs. old. Aches, pains and injuries at that age. Just ask FWC.
I guess if you can absorb his salary and get him almost for nothing in a trade, he might be worth the risk.

FarWestChicago
01-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Aches, pains and injuries at that age. Just ask FWC.Jeez, now even my fellow old guys are turning on me! :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
01-10-2002, 04:11 PM
I guess if you can absorb his salary and get him almost for nothing in a trade, he might be worth the risk.

He seems like the type Williams would go after. A pitcher who you might be able to squeeze one more good year out of.

doublem23
01-10-2002, 05:17 PM
last summer mentioned that El Duque could be 46yrs. old. Aches, pains and injuries at that age. Just ask FWC.

Jeez... I'm only 18 years old, and the docs tell me I should wear a knee brace for my tendonitis.... By the time I get that age, I'm gonna be nothing more than a head in a jar.

cornball
01-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Just to let you all know Millwood is 27 years old and made 3.1 million last year.....for goodness sake we payed Baldwin nearly 6 million last year and are about 15 million less than last years starting team.

Jerry_Manuel
01-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by cornball
for goodness sake we payed Baldwin nearly 6 million last year and are about 15 million less than last years starting team.

I think it's less then that. Foulke makes more money this year, as does Ordonez.

Daver
01-10-2002, 08:41 PM

I think it's less then that. Foulke makes more money this year, as does Ordonez.

Foulke and Maggs increases still only equal about a 1/3 of what they save in NOT having D. Wells.I think 15 mil is a little high though.

cornball
01-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Jerry this is based on 2001 salaries per the ESPN site...i understand the raises for this year but I am just going off of what is actually something we can track..or a source