PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks

gr8mexico
02-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Today I was at the Chicago Auto Show were Bobby Jenks was suppose to show up and sign autographs for 2 hours. At the last minute he canceled. This is starting to be normal for him 1st he couldn't make Soxfest because of a death in the family 2nd he didn't make the trip to the White house and now he cancels his appearance at the Auto Show. I'm starting to think that something is going wrong. Do you guys thing this is a big deal or is everything going to be alright?

jerrykrause4pres
02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
that's certainly interesting....you'd think that if he wants the fans to like him, he'd show up to these fan events. bobby could easily become a fan-favorite, but missing out on these sort of fan get-togethers doesn't help his image. I hope nothing is wrong with Bobby's life, and I'd rather have him ready and focused for Spring Training than getting distracted by fan events...whatever the case is, Bobby is so important to this team, and I will always stand behind him!

TaylorStSox
02-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe he's not the public appearance type of guy. If I was an athlete, I wouldn't want to do it either.

HotelWhiteSox
02-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I said this in another thread, but I was very confused about his appearance. The auto show website said he would be there tonight, but the Score has been running ads that he will be there with Pods on Thursday night. A poster also heard it was Friday, so there's confusion with this

Brewski
02-14-2006, 11:34 PM
His personal problems could be happening on a Daly basis.

gr8mexico
02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
I agree he doesn't really have to do this stuff but why agree to do it. I'm sure the Sox asked him before if he would attend Soxfest before they added him to the list. Second why didn't he go to the White house with the rest of the team from all the events I would thing this was the most important one to attend.3rd I'm sure Chevy was going to pay him to attend why miss that event. I'm starting to think he might actually have some problems again.I hope not .

TheDarkGundam
02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm gonna give Bobby the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm sure there's never been a big call for him to make personal appearences before now.
That, and I just got a Jenks jersey for X-mas, so I don't want anything to happen that makes me not like him anymore.

Jjav829
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Maybe he's not the public appearance type of guy. If I was an athlete, I wouldn't want to do it either.

I don't know what's happening with Jenks. He may have something going on that we don't know about. But the excuse that "maybe he's not the public appearance type of guy" doesn't fly if he agrees to do something then doesn't show up. If he doesn't want to make public appearances, that's fine, but he shouldn't committ to them in the first place.

MadetoOrta
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm concerned. He's a fragile kid who's already been through a lot in his life. Maybe he needs the stability of being back with the club - with the routine and travel - to get everything on track. Of course, he too may be pheasant hunting for all we know.

soxfan43
02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm concerned. He's a fragile kid who's already been through a lot in his life. Maybe he needs the stability of being back with the club - with the routine and travel - to get everything on track. Of course, he too may be pheasant hunting for all we know.

I agree. Bobby was great under pressure last year but with all that's been written about him in the past, there is cause for concern. I read that book License to Deal by Crasnick at ESPN, and it's mainly about this agent, Jenks' former agent. He doesn't delve into to many details, but he seemed convinced that Bobby is a very troubled person who wouldn't be able to handle pressure of being a star. But like I said it was written by a guy from ESPN, so take it for what it's worth. The book was pretty good though, by the way.

rookieroy
02-15-2006, 01:03 AM
I don't know what's happening with Jenks. He may have something going on that we don't know about. But the excuse that "maybe he's not the public appearance type of guy" doesn't fly if he agrees to do something then doesn't show up. If he doesn't want to make public appearances, that's fine, but he shouldn't committ to them in the first place.

Let's hope nothing is wrong with him, but, three in a row now makes you wonder. The weather was bad in D.C. and everyone should get a pass for missing the White House. Yeah...your right about committing to appearances. I'm a broken record with this subject matter.

I was there today. Took half the day off(unpaid) and took my kids out of school a little early. Paid $20.00 to get in, $16.00 to park and a half tank of gas. I know...I know...do I want any cheese with my whine? Anyway, a Chevrolet spokesperson came out at 5:00pm to say Bobby's agent cancelled his appearance at 4:00pm for unknown reasons. I thought it was strange that the Chevy people kept saying that we should complain to the White Sox PR department! One woman I talked to drove in from Iowa with her daughter and another older man had 5 of his grandchildren there. It was really amazing to hear the stories of the effort fans took to get there today. Chevrolet did offer one free future admission ticket to everyone in line. Nice gesture on their part, but, I would imagine most of us won't go back. I really hope Bobby is o.k. Some of the recent stories(Sports Weekly and ESPN the Mag) indicate he's had a pretty tough time of it prior to the last 12 months. Let's hope he's adjusting to the MLB lifestyle. If he is o.k, I hope he isn't taking appearance leasons from Sweaty Freddy.

Kuzman
02-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong. Didn't somebody in his family pass away around the time of SoxFest? If so, you think he would still be mourning?

dickallen15
02-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong. Didn't somebody in his family pass away around the time of SoxFest? If so, you think he would still be mourning?
Its possible, but if the death has impacted him so much he can't make an appearance one month later, it would probably mean he hasn't been able to get himself ready for spring training. The other thing is, if his mourning is going to be an issue, and he's not going to be able to attend,, he should give more than one hour's notice, so people like the poster above don't go to so much trouble to see him for nothing.

gr8mexico
02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong. Didn't somebody in his family pass away around the time of SoxFest? If so, you think he would still be mourning? I'm starting to think that death in his family was BULL!! Because a month later you cant attend the visit to the White House then something is wrong. Everyone knew in advance that Bobby wasn't attending the visit to the White House.

Realist
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM
For what it's worth, Jenks was at the premiere of the Sox Pride video at the Arie Crown Theatre. It was just him and Cotts.

DannyCaterFan
02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I am beginning to think we may have caught "Lightning in a bottle" with Jenks at the end of last year. I have been saying all off season that I am worried about Bobby and whether he can return to last year's form. Hope I am wrong for the team's sake.

Hangar18
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
I hope everything is OK. However if hes being Lazy and Irresponsible .........:angry:

Hangar18
02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I am beginning to think we may have caught "Lightning in a bottle" with Jenks at the end of last year. I have been saying all off season that I am worried about Bobby and whether he can return to last year's form. Hope I am wrong for the team's sake.

He is a Raw pitcher. He needs to locate his pitches, because the American League will only need a half-season to catch up to him.

Martinigirl
02-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Well instead of assuming the worst, what if the family obligations, or personal business (I can't remember how it was worded) that kept him busy on Monday, preventing him from going to see the White House, were unresolved by Tuesday?

And if his agent was reading the papers, and listening to talk radio, bashing Ozzie for not showing up to the White House, perhaps he didn't think it was in Bobby's best interest to miss that one day, and then make a paid appearance the next.

If there was something wrong with Bobby, I am sure the Sox, particularly Kenny, would know about it and there would be a lot of rumors flying around about trades involving closers.

TaylorStSox
02-15-2006, 10:43 AM
He is a Raw pitcher. He needs to locate his pitches, because the American League will only need a half-season to catch up to him.

It's no secret what he throws. The American league already knows. Hitting his stuff is a different story.

MisterB
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
His personal problems could be happening on a Daly basis.

http://www.finsandskins.com/images/archives_images/john-daly.jpg
"Hey, I got my own problems - leave me out of this."

kittle42
02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
If there was something wrong with Bobby, I am sure the Sox, particularly Kenny, would know about it and there would be a lot of rumors flying around about trades involving closers.

Absoluetly right. As was shown by the ridiculous and unneccessary Ozzie coverage over the past week, the media in town is so baseball hungry, they'll play up ANYTHING.

cmars1010
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM
hearing Bobby's past, that is certainly not comforting, but hopefully not something to worry about too much.

gr8mexico
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Absoluetly right. As was shown by the ridiculous and unneccessary Ozzie coverage over the past week, the media in town is so baseball hungry, they'll play up ANYTHING. Well the thing is that the Sox still have Hermanson,Politte and maybe Neal Cotts that can close games and if everything with Urbina is clear I'm sure the Sox will give him a chance but that's a huge IF. By the way does anyone have Brook Boyers email address? Thanks

kittle42
02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
By the way does anyone have Brook Boyers email address? Thanks

Nah. I'd like him to maintain his sanity. :)

TheDarkGundam
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
It's no secret what he throws. The American league already knows. Hitting his stuff is a different story.
Grinder Rule #4:
Knowing what's coming and hitting what's coming- not the same thing.

I know it was written for Shingo, but it applies here.

miker
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
So what's the consensus here: was Bobby a flash in the pan and is it his stuff or his mental makeup (or both) that's causing all this concern?

Please enlighten me.

TaylorStSox
02-15-2006, 06:41 PM
So what's the consensus here: was Bobby a flash in the pan and is it his stuff or his mental makeup (or both) that's causing all this concern?

Please enlighten me.

The only thing that concerns me about Jenks is the piece of metal holding that elbow together.

soxfanatlanta
02-15-2006, 08:24 PM

Please enlighten me.

Well, we can't tell at his point, right? There is nothing but speculation at this point. Jenks isn't the only player who has issues like these. Furcal has served jail time for multiple DUIs in Georgia, and he put together a very good year in '05. Perhaps Bobby will do the same (I hope)

I've said it once, and I'll say it again; I will never trust closers unless they are robots (see M. Rivera). They are complete head cases and they scare the **** out of me when the game is on the line.

FarWestChicago
02-15-2006, 08:32 PM

Please enlighten me.There are a bunch of totally unqualified "psychologists" completely freaking out and one or two sane people acting normal. Other than that, nothing is going on. :rolleyes:

Andy T Clown
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm starting to think that death in his family was BULL!! Because a month later you cant attend the visit to the White House then something is wrong. Everyone knew in advance that Bobby wasn't attending the visit to the White House.

Did Dick Cheney shoot Bobby????:?:

kittle42
02-16-2006, 12:00 AM
There are a bunch of totally unqualified "psychologists" completely freaking out

They're the new dark clouds, West.