PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field experiences

thomas35forever
02-14-2006, 09:08 PM
What do you remember about any recent trips to the Urinal you took?

ChiFabulous1
02-14-2006, 09:57 PM
A White Sox Winner!!!:supernana:

Jacob Nelson Fox
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Nothing recent, in fact, only once in my entire life.

Lured by an attractive young lady, I sat in cold rainy misery with a handful of fans in the bleachers. I was thinking it was about 1979, but a little web research allowed me to zero in on the exact date: May 22, 1981. The Baby Bears were whupped by an Expo team loaded with young talent (Dawson, Carter, Rains, etc).

I was able to zero in on this game because Tim Blackwell of the Cubs hit a home run. Years later I was living in Saint Paul when Blackwell was the manager of the newly resurrected St Paul Saints. I noted in his career stats at that time that I had personally witnessed 17% of his entire career home run output.

Never went back. Never will go back. After that weekend, never saw the gal again either. :tongue:

soccermomsox
02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I was forced to go with my then boyfriend (now husband) and his boss. I was sick to my stomach walking in there, thinking my grandpa was in heaven, cursing me out. The one redeeming thing about the day...I went wearing my beloved Robin Ventura Jersey. :D:

The best story I know, however, is my cousin. He was there with a friends family when he was around 11. He got hit by a ball and had to be taken to the infirmary and checked out. When that was over, he was being interviewed and was asked who his favorite player was. His response - Carlton Fisk! Needless to say, that didn't make the clip on the news that night.

Dick Allen
02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
What I remember is that I was the most intelligent person in the place, which really isn't saying that much.

gaelhound
02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I met this Northside Polish kid in College. This Frosh asked me to review his first paper for Freshmen English. Doug Kolasinnski was writing a paper on the great novel "Native Son". His openinng line of his paper was"On the South Side of Chicago, where all the blacks live...". I got that far and ripped his paper in half. Years later he confessed that he had never been to a Sox game. I admonished him saying he was missing out on a great baseball experience. Doug said he would go to a Sox game if I would go to a Cubs game. I end up in the Bleachers at a Cubs Cards Double header. Game stopped about a half a dozen times because of fog, and I got the worst sun burn of my life! Six hours of hearing about 30 cub scout packs chant "We Wanna Hit!", I still get a throbbing headache and itchy!:angry:

DumpJerry
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
After all those beers, it felt good. Oh! You're talking about the home field for the AA team up North, sorry.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I remember a distinct smell...

soxfan43
02-14-2006, 11:15 PM
As long as I limit myself to no more than 2 or 3 trips to wrigley, I usually end up having a good time. The place is falling apart, the fans are morons but I still enjoy heading to enemy territory just to laugh a few times a year. I've brought several friends that weren't from Chicago to both stadiums, and most agree the Cell is a much more enjoyable baseball experience. Wrigley is fun if you're looking for an over priced bar but for a baseball game, the Cell is the place to go in this city.

dugwood31
02-14-2006, 11:41 PM
My first time in Wrigley was 1989. Jerome Walton was on first with 2 outs, and a full count on the batter (I don't remember whom).

Guy sitting in front of me #1: I bet he takes of here.
Guy sitting in front of me #2 (incredulously): No Way!
(Walton takes off)
Guy #2: Dude! You called it!

I also was at the Cubs-Devil Rays game right after Sammy got busted with the Corked bat. The place exploded for him. I couldn't believe it.

CPditka
02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
When i was like 10 or 11 I went to a cubs game with my uncle who is from Jacksonville. The sox were out of town and he wanted to see a game, hes a yanks fan originally from NY. So we went to Wrigley. I skipped school and was really excited cuz I loved everything about baseball and got to leave school. At the game we sat in the UD and my uncle was teaching me how to keep score and making sure I was doing it right. Nonetheless I got made fun of by the other fans around me. They asked why I was wasting my time with that and "hey kid stop doing your HW at a ballgame". These people were like in the mid twenties or so and I was trying to learn how to keep score at a cubs game, hahah silly me. I was so turned off by cubs fans from that day that I refused to go back to wrigley for a long time. And thats when the hatred started, at least i got the first hand experience of cubdum's total lack of baseball knowledge early.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-15-2006, 12:02 AM

http://www.metrotimes.com/20/06/Images/litYnot.jpg

In the mid nineties during a Cubs vs. Mets game, I started screaming "You suck Sammy" in the RF bleachers much to the displeasure of the crowd. Less than ten years later, everyone on planet Earth agrees. :cool:

In the year 2000
In the year 2000

During Conan's first season, I said Conan's show will not only be a big success but he would surpass the two has beens / never was (creepy Letterman and the Chin) before all is said and done (and nobody agreed). 15 years later, Conan will replace the talentless Chin who has made Letterman his personal bitch over the past several years. :cool:

In the year 2000
In the year 2000

As the year 2000 came and went, I set the new time frame for cub fans as 2001 rang in a new era. "Wait til next millennium" will be the mantra within several years. :cool:

In the year 2000
In the year 2000

After two decades of failure, Jerry Reinsdorf made his first great hire when he signed Kenny Williams as General Manager on October 24. White Sox Baseball would never be the same. :cool:

In the year 2000
In the year 2000

peeonwrigley
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I went during one of their 2004 collapse games w/ the Reds. It was a 1:20 game I believe, and I was driving up from Champaign with Cubs fan friends. A late start and traffic meant listening to the first few innings on the radio. Then we get to the stadium and parking is nowhere to be found, of course, because it is the 4th inning. Dropped the girls off and my friend and I eventually parked 6 or so blocks away in a street spot that some troglodyte had blocked off with his crappy pickup. Paid him $10 for the honor.

Got in there in the 6th and managed 2 Budweisers (Wrigley's saving grace) before last call. Game ended up going 12, Cubs lose with a series of clutch Alou strikeouts and bad defense by CPat.

The atmosphere in the bar we hung out in afterward was amusing. "Today sucked, but we got 'em tomorrow!" etc. Compare that to this place or the Cell after the Sox lost to Cleveland in the game before Crede's HR.

I had tickets for a work outing there this summer, but the game was rain delayed and didn't start til 10:00. I live about a mile south of the stadium but never headed towards it.

I manage to have a good time at Wrigley if I don't have to drive and sit around decent people. I love the game of baseball, and I certainly have a rooting interest (anti Cub) when there.

Viva Medias B's
02-15-2006, 07:44 AM
My most recent trip to Wrigley was May of last year. The Cubs were playing the Mets in what seemed like temperatures in the 20s. Wearing my Sox stuff (something you must do if you go to Wrigley Field), I think I spent most of the time in the Sheffield Grill watching the game because it was too cold outside. I ended up leaving early.

My happiest time at Wrigley Field was during the Glorious Sweep.

Finally, I am proud to say that I've never sat in the bleachers.

Hangar18
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Last time I was at the Urinal, we sat in the RF bleachers, I was with Kittle42, and we managed, the two of us alone, to pacify the entire section of sheep. There were insults, catcalls, insults thrown at us, making fun of the team, the owners, the fans ......but a funny thing about facts and truth......you cant make them up. We were like preachers.
Kittle42 was jamming it to a group behind us, while I was giving the cold hard truth to a group down the aisle. By the time the 3rd/4th inning came, the entire section just shut up and left us alone. It was Awesome.

This was also the game I did my Bugs Bunny routine to a really dumb CubTrixie. She had been calling me names and giving me dirty looks all game, when one of the numerous times getting up to go to the "bathroom", she came back with a brand new flubby hat. She was walking by and I tee-hee'ed to myself as she walked by. She turned around and said ......
Sox suck Sox suck Sox suck. I told her matter of factly, cubs suck cubs suck. She repeated her chant, monotone and louder. I then said sox suck sox suck. She then said Incredibly LOUDER ....cubs suck cubs suck cubs suck cubs suck!!! At this point I was smiling so brightly, looking back to the entire section of sheep who were watching these proceedings. A few of them were shaking their heads in embarrassment. She the realized she was duped and quietly went to her seat. :D:

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 08:10 AM
I went to two games last year, compliments of my buddy's boss' season tickets. We sat in the lower level along the first base but underneath the upper level (so annoying when you can't see pop flies). I had an enjoyable time. The fans around us weren't spouting nonsense and were paying attention. I would go back (for free, of course).

Worst Wrigley experience was about four years ago when I sat in the bleachers. It was my first time in the bleachers and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Highlights include:

A totally smashed girl berating an usher after he asked her to stop throwing peanuts at people. Lines such as "Get a real job!" and "Only losers are ushers!" were being spit out of her mouth. She was thrown out after the second inning.
Two guys behind us leaving after the third inning so they could get a good seat at a nearby bar.
The crowd booing an usher that asked a girl that was flashing the crowd to keep her shirt on.
A guy behind us spouting racial slurs at Hee-Sop Choi and then grumbling to himself after Choi hit a home run. Yes, he was fully decked out in Cub gear.I heard rumors that this sort of stuff happened in the bleachers but I never really believed it. Unreal that I witnessed all these things at one game and it was just in my section. I'll never sit in the bleachers again...

Uncle_Patrick
02-15-2006, 08:25 AM
The last time I went, it was for a work outing and it happened to be the first game they played with the nets under the upper deck to catch falling concrete. I decided to fully embrace the Wrigley experience, so I drank a bunch of beer and talked on my cell phone. I think the Cubs might have won that day, but I don't remember, although I do remember Mark Prior giving up a couple of home runs.

Cat Thief
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
This is the only way you will get me to step foot in that neighborhood. Free rooftop tickets. This was from 2 years ago.

Madvora
02-15-2006, 09:11 AM
I went to my one and only game at Wrigley in 2001, the same day as the Bears opener (they lost to the Ravens, then went on to go 13-3 for the season.) The Cubs were getting killed by the Braves and the game got rained out in the 4th inning or something.
I didn't see anything special about the place. I was on the lower level underneath the press box cat walk up there. I can't really judge the place because I would have to see the rest of the park too.

mjharrison72
02-15-2006, 09:13 AM
She turned around and said ......
Sox suck Sox suck Sox suck. I told her matter of factly, cubs suck cubs suck. She repeated her chant, monotone and louder. I then said sox suck sox suck. She then said Incredibly LOUDER ....cubs suck cubs suck cubs suck cubs suck!!! At this point I was smiling so brightly, looking back to the entire section of sheep who were watching these proceedings. A few of them were shaking their heads in embarrassment. She the realized she was duped and quietly went to her seat. :D:
Ah, the old Wabbit Season/Duck Season trick... works every time! :redneck

mjharrison72
02-15-2006, 09:17 AM
I believe I've been to about four games at that ballpark, and the one that sticks out in my mind the best was one in which we had second- or third-row seats on the first base line, just past the dugout. At the time, the only player I respected on that team was Mark Grace, and it was great to basically be up close and personal.

I firmly believe that if you're that close to the field at any ballpark, watching almost any teams, it's going to be a great experience.

chi_guy
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
I went to the Sox/Cubs game last year at Wrigley with my son. That's when McCarthy made his pitching debut against Prior.

We sat in front of this annoying, large woman and her boyfriend. She knew we were sox fans from the 'Cubs Suck' shirt my son was wearing. She kept saying the stupidest things whenever Prior pitched. Mostly commenting on his looks. (typical Cub fan) The one I remember the most is when she yelled 'Hey Prior, you're my baby'. My son and I laughed at how stupid she was.

I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that park. It smelled like a retirement home. Very depressing.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2006, 09:33 AM
My personal favorate was when Jose Valentin hit that blast and did the Spammy "kiss the fingers and bang on your chest" thing.

MarySwiss
02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Shortly after my family moved to the North Side, my Girl Scout troop had an outing there, so I was forced to go. I think I was about 12. IIRC, the Cubs were getting their butts kicked in by about 11 runs when Ron Santo came up in the bottom of the ninth, nobody on, two out, and hit a home run. All the Cubs fans started cheering like crazy, and as we were leaving the park after the inevitable third out, I could not get over my feeling of amazement that these buffoons actually thought they had had a good time!

That was the last time anything about the Cubs or their fans amazed me. :cool:

TaylorStSox
02-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I went once when I was 8 years old. The only thing I remember is that it was cold.

SOXPHILE
02-15-2006, 09:47 AM
There's sooooooo many, but some things that happened more recently in May of 2002. I had to go to a game for my sister in law's b-day, and her fiance got tickets for all of us. (Doesn't really know the first thing about sports, but because her Iowa transplant fiance/husband is a Cub fan, she is now too, by default. Stereotypical Lincoln Park yuppies). It was picture day, and we got to go on the field, and they took pictures with some of the players. I was wearing my Sox hat, and just stayed the hell back. I got the usual cat-calls from people in the bleachers telling me how the Sox suck etc. I just yelled back "THERE IN FIRST PLACE YOU DRUNKEN IDIOT ! (They were, at the time), SIT DOWN AND HAVE ANOTHER BEER !" Later, I'm in line for the bathroom, and a typical Cubbie fan standing behind me, wearing required floppy hat, blue Carrie Wood shirt, and marte gras beeds starts sort of good naturedly giving me a hard time about the Sox. I confused him by using facts, pointing out how the Sox were more than 10 games over .500 and in first place by 1 game, and the Cubs were in 5th, (on their way to a 95 loss season). I then pointed out how most people there were not Cub fans, but "Cub game" fans, just there to drink, party, hang out, flirt, and not really pay attention to the game. He responds with "No way ! I'm not like that, not me..." etc. Later, about the 6th or 7th inning, I see him in line at a concession stand, drunk off his ass. He sees me, and says "I don't even know what's going on. I'm here with a work party, I've had like 5 margaritas, I'm so drunk, I don't even know what the score is." Shocking.

pdimas
02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Well first of all don't hold it against me but I go to opening day there for my bday every year (not my idea). I have a lot of friends and my sister who live in the area and we know a lot of people who either work or own bars down there. I always start boozing around 1030 and at the rate I go am usually knocked out by 7pm with a few exceptions. One year i only made it until 430pm and another year I made it until 2am. Needless to say I don't really go to watch the game much like everyone else. It cracks me up that we always leave the game by the fifth inning and no one ever complains, which for me is understandable im a die hard Sox fan (grandfather was even buried in his Sox jacket), but even my "die hard cub fan" friends are cool with heading out to the bar. The best part is you can bring in plastic bottles of soda that are open which just opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Best experience had to be when I sat down right underneath the scoreboard in full Sox gear. Boy did they let me have it :smile: . Steve Sparks was pitching and his knuckleball was so sick that even from the bleachers you could see all of the movement it had. The cubs could'nt get a hit to save their lives. So I start talking to this kid next to me who was part of the heckling crew. I was telling him how that pitch was just confounding the cub hitters and we start talking baseball. After a while he taps me on the shoulder and says don't worry by buddies won't be bothering you anymore. When I asked why he told me that I knew my baseball. :gulp:

Just remembered another one! One time i went to see this band at the cubbie bear in the middle of winter. So we are in there enjoying ourselves and drinking a lot of beer and the time comes to leave. No sooner do we get outside when suddenly i get the urge to pee now i don't want to go back in the bar but i really have to go. My cousin who was with me tells me the same thing. So we look at each other then immediately look across the street. We start grinning like idiots and bolt for it. After finding a nice hidden patch of the wrigley field outer wall I proceeded to pee me name on it with my cousin doing the same. Sure it was drunk and stupid but it made my winter that year. :cool:

SOXPHILE
02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Shortly after my family moved to the North Side, my Girl Scout troop had an outing there, so I was forced to go. I think I was about 12. IIRC, the Cubs were getting their butts kicked in by about 11 runs when Ron Santo came up in the bottom of the ninth, nobody on, two out, and hit a home run. All the Cubs fans started cheering like crazy, and as we were leaving the park after the inevitable third out, I could not get over my feeling of amazement that these buffoons actually thought they had had a good time!

That was the last time anything about the Cubs or their fans amazed me. :cool:

Ron Santo was famous for that. If they were either losing or winning by 11 runs late in the game, he would come up and hit one out, when it really didn't make any difference in the game. But if the Cubs were down 3-2, guys on second and third, two out, he would come up and strike out.

RoobarbPie
02-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I've gone twice in the last 3 years - not something I'm proud of.

I went last year when I got 4 tickets from a client and only took them because I thought it would be my only chance to see Clemens pitch and didn't want to pass that up since I had never seen him. Little did I know I would be seeing him in person pitch against my team in the WS........

The other time I was in the bleachers and caught a HR ball that was the 2nd of a back to back to back that the cubs hit. Grudz hit it. I thought about throwing it back since I did have my sox hat on but I didn't want to make the news. I've still got the ball.......

Those times have reminded me that the stadium is very bad and the baseball there is much worse.

C-Dawg
02-15-2006, 10:19 AM
At the game we sat in the UD and my uncle was teaching me how to keep score and making sure I was doing it right. Nonetheless I got made fun of by the other fans around me. They asked why I was wasting my time with that and "hey kid stop doing your HW at a ballgame". These people were like in the mid twenties or so and I was trying to learn how to keep score at a cubs game, hahah silly me.

Heh heh, I could have written that myself. I went a couple years ago, with a big Sox fan who bought a program so he could keep score. The fans all around us were puzzled about what kind of top-secret paperwork he was doing! I don't think they'd ever seen anyone keeping score before.

I did go a bunch of times as a kid; the most memorable was a game where they beat the Reds 15-14 in a slugfest that featured about 8 or 10 homeruns, including 2 by Pete Rose. My brother and I had been rooting for Cincy the whole game, and had to keep it real quiet when the Cubs rallied and beat them late in the game. Such humiliation!

Cellview22
02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
What is it about Wrigley Field that everyone seems to like? I don't get why people rave about this place...

My sister is a travel agent, and she said when tourists want to vacation in Chicago for the first time, the majority always ask about Wrigley Field. They admit they don't know the first thing about baseball, but the idea of seeing a Cubs game at Wrigley Field peaks their interest. I don't get it. :?:

I've been there a couple times, always with a church youth group when I was younger, and I always hated it there.

tick53
02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Three years ago I had the chance to see the Sox play the Cubs at Piggly
Field. Naturally, I wore my favorite Sox home jersey and my old well-worn
cap:smile: . The only reason I went to the game at all was because the Sox were playing. It was a Friday day game and I regretfully say, the Sox took it
on the chin.

I was constantly harassed by Flub fans in the bathroom (which to a while to
find as you know), tore my brand new jeans on some old fencing that was
sticking on the ramp and had some Cubyup shake a Sammy bobble head doll in my face that was sticking out of his beer cup. On the way out I told my friend in a loud voice that I would NEVER set foot in that hole again. Some
idiotic Cub fans heard me and chanted, "South Side..Loser..Go Home!!:angry: I
told these blowholes that leaving there was my first intention and if they
came to the Cell I would return their barbs.

I'm not one to start trouble, but I'm not one to back down either. After
seeing I would be out numbered though, I let self-control get the better of
me and we exited in true classy White Sox fashion.

I hate their team,their fans,their pygmie park and their hideous blue uni-
forms. The only good thing that transpired on this trip was the fact that it
made me appreciate the Cell even more.:smile: GO SOX...

SoxFan78
02-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Me and my sox friends went to game two last year at Wrigley. It was fun drinking beforehand, and the outcome was great, but the view was terrible. We were in the second to last row in the lower level. We couldnt see the scoreboard or any pop fly's. Also, the 1985 TV's they had hanging in the rafters didnt help either. Brutal sight lines.

But the best thing about that game was when Paulie came up to bat and more then half the crowd was chanting "paulie, paulie, paulie".

spiffie
02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
I've been to Wrigley a decent number of times. I used to live in Lincoln Park right off Clark St and about a 30-40 minute walk to the place, so on a nice summer day in the late 90's it was not the worst way to spend a day, esp. since before the 2003 boom you could go get day of game tickets that were wonderful seats. And on weekdays the regular seats weren't too horribly yuppified. I really feel like the place has gotten much worse in the last 4-5 years.

The only fight I've ever been in since high school was in the wretched bleachers though. I was there with my then-fiancee (a co-worker gave me the tix for free as an engagement gift) and we were standing in the back row of the bleachers, where you can stand two deep against the fence. For 7 innings this drunk **** behind me is commenting on her breasts very loudly and very crudely. My repeatedly less friendly requests for him to stop were not heeded. So finally I turned around, grabbed him by the neck, picked him up (as those who have met me can attest, I'm a pretty big guy, and he was not) a few feet and slammed him into the fence, and just held him there squeezing his neck while threatening him with various unpleasant occurences.

Otherwise though, I've had it okay. I've been lucky that most of the time the fans around me have taken the rivalry in good fun. Only once have I personally had it get heated and that was defused. My big beef though is that the norm seems to be 1 Sox fan gets picked on by 30 Cub fans, and they throw the Sox fan out.

McCuddy
02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually did have a decent experience there once - it was 1992. We're at the Sox game vs. Boston (I think), and about the eighth inning my buddy says, "You know, the Cubs are home tonight. Wanna hit both?" So we walk up to the window and I ask for the three best (another joined us) tickets I can get. Turns out I got first row behind the Astros dugout. Every time Dunston threw the ball, we ducked.

Between innings Art Howe would come out of the dugout and chat with us. Nice guy.

Haven't been in the place since.

Dan Mega
02-15-2006, 11:26 AM
My girlfriend and my roommate are both Cubs fans and sometimes get tickets. I'll go if I don't have to pay usually. Last year I went to three games. 1 game versus the Nats (loss) wasn't bad. Met some friendly Cubs fans that were actually knowledgable about the game. Went to a game versus the Pirates (loss), it was freezing outside in mid-April and 1/2 the stadium didn't show (not surprisingly the next day, the Cubune diverted attention from the loss, saying that all tickets were sold). Went to a Rockies/Cubs game in July, the Cubs actually beat up on them pretty bad, and hit like 5 home runs.

What was so funny about that? A few times I felt like I was the only person in my section that realized that yes, the Cubs just hit another home run. Everyone else was so distracted by something else.

areilly
02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
I've been to Wrigley a few times but my favorite trip by far happened last summer.

Cubs hosting the Astros. Growing up, Roger Clemens was one of my favorite players so I did not hesitate to buy the $15 UD tickets from a guy at work. I wore the Esteban Loaiza jersey t-shirt I got the previous winter and was bracing for the worst. Mind you, I've seen Cubs fans get it handed to them pretty badly at Comiskey so I figured the payback was going to be intense. The fans were mostly civil to me though...probably because a guy in my row was wearing a Cardinals hat (he would later tell me I was the only person he respected in the entire stadium).

Anyway, around the eighth inning some guy sitting a few rows back starts getting pretty vocal about the shirt I've got on. Fair enough, and some of it was kind of funny. As the game finally ends, the guy comes up to me and asks something to the effect of "What kind of fan are you wearing the shirt of a guy who left the team?"

The punchline? The guy was wearing a Mark Grace shirt. I think that about sums up the Cub fan experience...loud and ignorant.
:cool:

Risk
02-15-2006, 11:40 AM
The last time I was at that **** hole place was back in 2004. My Cub fan friends had an extra ticket and since it was Sox vs. Cubs, they invited me b/c they know that there is no other way I would go to that cesspool. We had seats in the upper deck, down the right field line. It was the infamous "Gload game" where it appeared he hit a grandslam against Zamwhacko in the first but the umpires called it back (I honestly thought it grazed the foul pole, but obviously I'm biased). Later that day I discovered why Gload is not a viable option as a RF backup as he misplayed a fly ball and allowed two runs to score.

I don't consider myself a large person by any stretch of the imagination (5'9, 195), but I swear that those seats were designed for dwarfs. I had no room to move. Most of the fans around me brought their kids, and some friendly barbs were exchanged, but I kept it rated G.

Everything was fine until a skinny, drunk high school jack ass mustered up enough liquid courage to jump up as I was heading up to use one of the Dump's state of the art restroom facilities and started berating me. Suprising my friends, I calmly told him that he should sit down and enjoy the game, and if he didn't, I told him that we would find out if he was capable of flying. The idiot sat down.

I really hate that place. It seems to bring out the worst of everything.

Risk

34 Inch Stick
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
As a lifelong northsider, I have been going to Wrigley Field for 35 years. I enjoyed it as a young boy because I was with my family. I enjoyed it as an early teen because I could ride take the El there with my friends. I enjoyed it in my twenties because, regardless of what the most provincial sox fans want to believe, it is a good time (kind of like Octoberfest with a baseball game going on).

I have not bought a Cubs ticket in years and do frequently refuse them. Still I can appreciate going to a game and being able to make an entire day of it. The stadium is nothing spectacular but there is an undeniable atmosphere at the park.

Max Power
02-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I usually end up going to a couple of games there every season. A lot of my friends are Cub fans so if they have an extra I'll go. I like baseball enough that I'll rarely pass up the chance to go to a game.
I never wear Sox stuff when I go there. I hate it when Cub fans wear their crap at Comiskey, so you know if you hate something don't you do it too.
Anyway, my friend had a bunch of bleacher tickets for a Friday Cubs/Cards game last season. You always hear how great that rivalry is so I was kind of excited to go. Well.... the woman next to me that was so interested in the game that she was turned around with her knee on her seat talking to someone behind her the ENTIRE game. I guarantee she didn't see one out. The rest of the Cub fans were similarly disinterested in what was happening on the field. And the Cubs won!! The Cards fans were pretty into it though. Some rivalry...

C-Dawg
02-15-2006, 12:57 PM
I never wear Sox stuff when I go there. I hate it when Cub fans wear their crap at Comiskey, so you know if you hate something don't you do it too.

I agree. I absolutely LOATHE seeing Cub stuff at our park, when the actual Cubs aren't playing there. Similarly, I don't wear Sox stuff to their field. Better to invest in a Cardinals or Brewers hat if you want to irritate those people, in my opinion.

gobears1987
02-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I went there for the last game against Boston this year. A friend gave us tickets. I wore my cork shirt there and was rooting for Boston. I didn't wear Sox stuff because that isn't the place for it. I also was wearing a Cards hat there. (The Cards are my 2nd team.)

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree. I absolutely LOATHE seeing Cub stuff at our park, when the actual Cubs aren't playing there. Similarly, I don't wear Sox stuff to their field. Better to invest in a Cardinals or Brewers hat if you want to irritate those people, in my opinion.

What if the Sox are the opponent???

Smokey Burg
02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I have had enjoyable times at all three Chicago Big league parks since I started attending pro baseballl games over 40 years ago. From seeing Mickey Mantle strike out five times in a double-header at Old Comiskey to seeing Andre Dawson crank innumerable homers at Wrigley, I've seen a lot of baseball and have encountered many fan interactions. However, shortly after the mid 90's the mood at Wrigley really started to change. The fan base seemed to change from real baseball fans to mid-20's yups that work downtown and are using company sponsored tickets to take clients out and get them drunk. Also, parking 15 -20 blocks from the ball park and coming back to a damaged car is never fun. I refuse to pay $40.00 to park near the field. The food and concession choices suck, plus tha place smells like a moldering 40 year old cigar. Over the last several years it appears that the Tribune Co. is just trying to squeeze every nickel it can from every fan going through the turnstiles. I don't know what lame theme or motto the Cubs are going to have this year but one that should be given some consideration is "Krugerands accepted here!". I have not been to a Cubs game for about 4 maybe 5 years and I doubt if I will even set foot in that place again.

pdimas
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I know some people are against wearing white sox gear to cubs games if they aren't playing each other but I honestly don't own any other kind of hat. Honestly its worked out in my favor quite a few times. For instance after games I would go to Hi tops a lot since i know a few guys there. I would always go with my buddies who used to constantly deride me for wearing my sox hat until I proved to them it wasn't such a bad idea. I told them to just watch what happened when I wore it in the bar. No sooner did we walk in than two nice looking blondes started giving me crap. After a few minutes of friendly back and forth ribbing they bought me a beer and we were all friends. My buddies were astonished. The trick here is that the sox hat was my in and most times that is all that you need. :cool:

Well anyway to continue the story one of my buddies snatched the hat off of my head and disappeared. I didn't see him again til closing time when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see who it was and its my buddy grinning ear to ear girl on his arm casually flipping my hat back to me. They have never doubted the power of a white sox hat since.

Sadly I think this year it might not work as well :smile:

maurice
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
I've been many times over the years for various reasons . . . usually because of free tickets. I've occasionally worn opposing-team colors but never Sox stuff (since the Sox weren't playing). It's a terrible place to watch a game, especially if you're used to the comforts of the Cell. Too many idiots . . . very few of them paying attention to the game . . . many of them standing in the rows and aisles during play and randomly cheering / booing for no baseball-related reason. Tons of obstructed views. No "modern" amenities, such as parking or even 20th century plumbing.

Last time I was there (about six years ago) it was freezing. The couple in front of me was decked out in cold weather gear, but their 2-year-old daughter was wearing a coat that was too thin, too small, and unbuttoned with no gloves. For obvious reasons, the kid cried through the whole game (almost 3 hours), but the parents were completely oblivious.
:angry:

miker
02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
High-fiving Giants fans after another Cubbie loss. I had just caught a game at Candlestick's last season and picked up a hat while I was out there. I wore it when I friend invited me to a game at the Urinal. It was fun going there in enemy colors. The locals were not happy...

hsnterprize
02-15-2006, 07:46 PM
I was sitting in the press box seeing Carlos Lee take a Cubbie pitcher's fast ball onto Waveland Avenue. I didn't say anything when he hit that home run because I was in the press box, and that Carol Slezak was trying to write an article on her laptop while everything was going on. I distinctly remember raising my arms up whe the ball left Lee's bat because you knew the second it left the bat it was leaving the yard. What was even funnier was that when he came back to the dugout, he did a brief imitation of Sham-Me's finger kissing act. Jose Valentin got in trouble for doing that the day before, so Carlos did his act in a corner of the dugout where not a lot of people could see him. Unfortunately, a TV camera was able to focus in on him while he kissed his fingers and pointed to the sky.

I also remember one of the first times I went to Wrigley to cover a game. It was well before the start of the game, and I thought I'd walk around the park and give myself a tour. When I got to one of the corners of the park, I thought I'd be able to walk around in the bleachers with my press pass. Nope. Some old guy said I couldn't go into the bleachers. I asked him...even with my press pass? He still kept turning me away. I've been in the Cubs' dugout, clubhouse, media room, the visitors' locker room and clubhouse, and all over that place. But to not be able to go into the bleachers is pretty strange to me.

DumpJerry
02-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I also remember one of the first times I went to Wrigley to cover a game. It was well before the start of the game, and I thought I'd walk around the park and give myself a tour. When I got to one of the corners of the park, I thought I'd be able to walk around in the bleachers with my press pass. Nope. Some old guy said I couldn't go into the bleachers. I asked him...even with my press pass? He still kept turning me away. I've been in the Cubs' dugout, clubhouse, media room, the visitors' locker room and clubhouse, and all over that place. But to not be able to go into the bleachers is pretty strange to me.
They don't want the truth to get out.

Brian26
02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
The most miserable experience I've ever had there was in 1998 for the Saturday afternoon Sox game. The Sox were just awful that year, and you knew it was going to be a sweep...and it was.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-15-2006, 08:27 PM
The old lady ushers are very nice and friendly. I saw the brew crew take on the schnubs and my girlfriend at the time forgot her sunscreen. We asked the usher if they sell any at the stands and she whipped out a bottle and let her use some.

Then we got hammered.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Then we got hammered.

That's the key statement right there.:redneck

eastchicagosoxfan
02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I missed out on a great time at wrigley due to the weather. Six or seven years ago, good friends of mine were given tickets, with the Stadium Club lunch, and field passes for the game. I was set up on a blind date, with a gal who's a huge Cub fan, and was begged not to denigrate the Cubs. We were suppossed to take a little BP, shag some flies, run the bases, etc. under the supervision of a couple of players and coaches. We showed up at 10AM, I think, but it started to rain, and while we got to meet some players and coaches, who were very nice to us, we never made it onto the field.

A few years ago, I went with three of my brothers, and our cousin to a Cub/Reds game. Out of the five of us, four were Sox fans. We went because my Cub fan brother had tickets, and we figured it would be fun to be together, regardless of the setting. We had a lot of fun that day. The four of us just made fun of the Cubs all day long, and unsuccessfully attempted to pick up women.

SOXPHILE
02-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Didn't you know ? Those bleachers are the holiest part of the holiest place in all of baseball. The "holy of holies" if you will. Only true believers who know all the proper rituals, such as the anointing of the isles and walls with vomit and urine, can enter.

ChiSoxLifer
02-15-2006, 11:03 PM
The old lady ushers are very nice and friendly. I saw the brew crew take on the schnubs and my girlfriend at the time forgot her sunscreen. We asked the usher if they sell any at the stands and she whipped out a bottle and let her use some.

Then we got hammered.

haha...When in Rome...

santo=dorf
02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
My most recent trip to Wrigley was May of last year. The Cubs were playing the Mets in what seemed like temperatures in the 20s. Wearing my Sox stuff (something you must do if you go to Wrigley Field)
...and yet people complain when Cub fans show up at our park when their team isn't playing. Don't wear Sox stuff unless you are looking for trouble or the Sox are playing there.

I haven't been there since 1997, and the only reason why I went is to get out of school. I remember it being cold and somewhat rainy, and lots of empty seats.

Oh yeah, the Cubs lost to the Phillies. :cool:

Chisox1500
02-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I saw Brandon McCarthy make his major league debut last year. The seats were not too bad but the sections are confusing. Drunken Cubs fans in their mid-twenties challenged my 60 year old father and my youngest brother to a fight before the game for their crime of daring to wear Sox gear. Not wanting to get kicked out I swallowed my pride and advised that they to just walk away at the hooligans shouted at us.

A Sox loss caped the afternoon of having Bud spilled on me and fighting traffic. Having the best record in baseball and seeing Brandon pitch well in a tough situation eased my pain.

FARMEO
02-16-2006, 02:01 AM
The last time I went to Wrigley was for a Sox/Cubs game last summer. I don't even know how to correctly describe my experience without offending anyone here. I was called a racial slur because I was a Southside fan, even though I live on the Northside. The slur didn't fit me, this idiot was just generalizing Southside fans. I went off on the guy and his buddy apologized saying that his friend was just drunk, which is no excuse.

zmz723
02-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I went when they were playing the marlins in the middle of their collapse in 2004. we had seats a couple rows back of the third base dugout. It was right after all the hurricanes in florida and there was a guy behind me making fun of their third base coach (name?) saying his house blew over etc.

THen he started asking if he could have the chewing tobacco that was in his back pocket, after 2 innings of asking and yelling, the coach finally gave in, tossing up the chews.

Finally, security came and took him away and the entire section (minus my family) gave him a standing ovation, completely oblivious to the 6 run cubs deficit.

maurice
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I was called a racial slur

I've heard many racial slurs at the Urinal, along with a number of racially coded phrases like "go back to the ghetto."

Can't say I was surprised when Hawkins outed this practice.

The Critic
02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
My best Wrigley experience was getting to play there in the Little League City Series in 1973. Played at Comiskey, too, which was mind-numbingly cool.
The most nervous I've ever been about anything in my life, standing at home plate in those parks.
Struck out in both parks, just like Sosa.
:D:

hsnterprize
02-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Didn't you know ? Those bleachers are the holiest part of the holiest place in all of baseball. The "holy of holies" if you will. Only true believers who know all the proper rituals, such as the anointing of the isles and walls with vomit and urine, can enter. It was the first time I'd covered a game at Wrigley if I remember correctly. I didn't know any better.

Here's another interesting story. After a game, I was walking out of the clubhouse and on my way out of the ballpark. Unlike the Cell, you have to walk out of the ballpark through the concourse instead of a media-specific entrance. I thought I'd look around and observe since people were still leaving and such. Anyway, I heard one guy yelling from a ramp to the upper deck to a fellow on the lower concourse. It seems like the the guy on the bottom had a beer spilled on him by the guy up top, and now they were talking trash and getting ready to fight. Fortunately, I was far away from the action, but before I knew it, about 5 secutiry guards ran right past me to break up this fight. The girlfriend of one of the guys was trying to get her man to just walk away since both men were pretty drunk, but it was to no avail.

I confess I have a harder time walking around after Cubs games than Sox games because of many of the drunken people hanging around after games. It only takes one slip-up to a drunk person to start potential trouble. I know people get drunk at Sox games, too, but I actually feel safer hanging around the Cell than Wrigley after games.

jdm2662
02-18-2006, 10:31 AM
I've been there a total of four times. Twice was for Sox games. I went to freezing ass game in 1994 where Michael Jordan played. I also got to go to the Sat game last year thanks to an extra ticket by Spiffie... The other two times I went was for free, 1996 and 1999. Not really much experiences per say. i didn't even leave my seat in last's years game. I was afraid to use the restroom.

On another note, I didn't have one single drink of booze during any of those games... I guess I don't fit in...

rookie
02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I am sad to say that my very first professional baseball game was a Cubs game in 1999, the tix were free. I wasn't impressed with the stadium or the game of baseball. Plus I felt wrong because my family heritage was Sox, even if I could care less about baseball.

My second professional baseball game was a Sox game in 2002. I went with my dad and had the time of my life. That game marked the beginning of my journey into a Sox and baseball fan. Each year I went to more games and watched more on TV. Last spring I started watching so many games, and learning so much about the sport that my sister started calling me a baseball junkie. Needless to say, I haven't regretted a moment, keep passing me the drugs.

On a side note, I'm torn. I want to go to the Sox/Orioles game at Camden when I visit my friend in DC, but she really wants to go to a Nats game (she's never been). So of course she picks the Nats/Cubs game. Reading these posts makes me think that maybe I can persuade her to buy me a Nats hat even though I really want to wear one of my Sox hats. I might have to wear Sox stuff anyways though, because I only have one knapsack to take to games and it's black and has Sox on it.

TaquitoElGoocho
02-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Proud to say I never attended a Scrubs game when I lived in Wrigleyville (lived there so I could walk to concerts at Metro, NOT for the Schlubs). The beer bottles on the windowsill and peeing in the alley spoke volumes about the Cubs' fans' class. Even worse was a jack*** neighbor who would rent his garage to fans who were afraid *gasp* to take the el or bus. He'd park his car like a bunghole and take up enough spaces for two cars. When his garage was rented, he would illegally sell his street spots. My roomies and I got so ticked off that we reported him to the department of revenue (Oops! How'd that happen!?!?! :D:) because we knew the bastich was not paying taxes on his income. Oddly enough, he looked similar to Ed Farmer and shared his hubris!