PDA

View Full Version : Delgado almost a white sox?

soxfan43
02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
In Tom Verducci's new column he mentions that the almost had Carlos Delgado instead of Thome. I guess the Yanks wanted Rowand, but Kenny told them to get Delgado and then they'd talk. The Yanks had a 3 way trade ready but backed when the Sox wanted them to pay some of the salary. Who woulda thought salary would stop a deal for the Yanks? Also some other interesting points in the article. Check it out:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/02/14/damon.jeter/1.html

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Heh, that would've been interesting, but I'm still happy with Thome. I recall in 2004 the Sox worked out a deal for Delgado at the deadline but Delgado refused to waive his no trade clause, so there's been interest in him before from KW.

Trav
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Heh, that would've been interesting, but I'm still happy with Thome. I recall in 2004 the Sox worked out a deal for Delgado at the deadline but Delgado refused to waive his no trade clause, so there's been interest in him before from KW.

KW mentioned Delgado's diss after the trade for Thome went through. I don't know the actual quote but it was to the affect that he wasn't even interested in bringing him here because of it.

TheOldRoman
02-14-2006, 08:46 PM
KW mentioned Delgado's diss after the trade for Thome went through. I don't know the actual quote but it was to the affect that he wasn't even interested in bringing him here because of it.
I highly doubt that. Kenny knows it's a business; nothing is personal. Delgado didn't specifically "dis" the Sox. He said before the deadline that he wouldn't accept a trade to any team that wasn't willing to sign him to an extension. He didn't want to have to move his family for two months and then move them again. That is certainly understandable, and the Sox didn't want to sign him to an extension with Frank and Konerko in the fold for another year.
I don't know why this **** keeps coming up, he didn't dis the Sox. This is in the same boat as the unfounded "he wouldn't stand for the national anthem" BS. I am glad we don't play the Mets for another year, because another round of stooges will start threads bitching about Delgado for their believed fallacies.

Foulke You
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Assuming Thome is healthy, I think we got the better of the two sluggers.

dugwood31
02-14-2006, 11:49 PM
I'd take Delgado over Thome in a New York minute.

VivaOzzie
02-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Thome is a great player and a great teammate. I can't think of many others that I'd like to fill his role on this year's Sox. :gulp: