PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten Rules for Sox/Baseball Games?

Pages : [1] 2

SOecks
02-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Lets list off some of the unwritten etiquette rules that Sox fans have for attending games at the Cell, and also baseball games in general. I'll start...

-Stand up only in the middle of an inning to use bathroom or get food

Blob
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Do not throw home run balls back on to the field.

Jerko
02-14-2006, 03:42 PM
If you're in the 3rd seat of a row, go out the way that has 2 seats between you and the aisle, not 26 seats.

SoxFan78
02-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Do not start or participate in the wave

HoosierHerb
02-14-2006, 03:48 PM
VERY limited cell phone use while in seats

If you are in a seat that's on camera--don't wave like and idiot. Esp if you are in violation of above rule.

Baby Fisk
02-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Don't be late for the anthem.

BV2005
02-14-2006, 03:51 PM
If you catch a foul ball give it to a little kid

scottjanssens
02-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Do tailgate.

Taliesinrk
02-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Lets list off some of the unwritten etiquette rules that Sox fans have for attending games at the Cell, and also baseball games in general. I'll start...

-Ketchup not allowed on hotdogs

But i looove ketchup...:whiner:

spiffie
02-14-2006, 04:06 PM

You'll get my ketchup covered Kosher Dog when you pry it from my cold dead hand!

SouthSideHitman
02-14-2006, 04:15 PM
- Be a part of the game, when appropriate, GET LOUD!
- Don't come to a baseball game and then proceed to talk loudly about everything BUT the game (mostly a problem I've had when seated next to tourists).
- Don't yell how the jumbotron "Fan Cam" is running out of batteries (this applies to everyone but me, it's my bit.)
- Do keep score when possible, keeps everyone in the games and lets you help a fellow scorekeeper out when he goes to the bathroom and doesn't know how Peralta ended up on second with two outs.

mjharrison72
02-14-2006, 04:18 PM
But i looove ketchup...:whiner:
Yeah... no offense, but don't tell me what to put on my food, SOecks.

SOXPHILE
02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey, did Tony LaRussa or Bob Brenly lend you the book of "Baseball's Unwritten Rules" ? They are the keepers of it you know.

kruzer31
02-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Never leave before the last out of the game is recorded. Quick example, Game 2 World Series, my buddy who is a Cubs fan landed two seats to the game. Now instead of taking me, a long time sox fan and a good friend of his, he takes his wife. Now mind you, it was cold and rainy but no excuse, Dude leaves after Jenks gives up the two runs to tie. Because of this he missed one of the most memorable homers ever hit in post season history by Pods. I was sick when he told me he left.
Another quick note about the game is he never seen a ball hit harder then Juan Uribes double off the wall in the gap that game, said as soon as the ball hit the bat it hit the wall in about 2 seconds. Juan can stroke it.

Jeff

Dan Mega
02-14-2006, 04:32 PM
-Don't tell people to sit down when someone from the Sox made a great play. I don't care if you have had your season tickets longer than I've been alive. We aren't watching a Michigan football game here.

-Don't curse or start fights. If you're gonna curse, keep it to a mumble. There are kids around.

-Pay attention to the game. This ain't the Urinal.

-Boo loud and proud when Tori Hunter bats :wink:

-If you see a guy walking around the stands with a trophy, shake his hand and tell him its ok, the Cubs are no longer significant cause the Sox won the championship! :redneck

Madvora
02-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Man I'm so sick of that ketchup argument. Who cares what you eat.

The one about throwing back HR balls. That's the big one.

SoxFan78
02-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Never leave before the last out of the game is recorded. Quick example, Game 2 World Series, my buddy who is a Cubs fan landed two seats to the game. Now instead of taking me, a long time sox fan and a good friend of his, he takes his wife. Now mind you, it was cold and rainy but no excuse, Dude leaves after Jenks gives up the two runs to tie. Because of this he missed one of the most memorable homers ever hit in post season history by Pods. I was sick when he told me he left.
Another quick note about the game is he never seen a ball hit harder then Juan Uribes double off the wall in the gap that game, said as soon as the ball hit the bat it hit the wall in about 2 seconds. Juan can stroke it.

Jeff

I'm sorry, but your buddy should be stripped of all baseball watching privileges for at least 5 years!!!

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 04:36 PM

-Stand up only in the middle of an inning to use bathroom or get food I would add focus on the game and not on what other people like to eat.:D:

SOecks
02-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Hey, it's not ME saying it, it's the many others who rip on anyone at the park who put it on their dogs.

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey, it's not ME saying it, it's the many others who rip on anyone at the park who put it on their dogs. Well, THEY need to get a life then and pay attention to the game and not to what other people enjoy on their hot dogs.

Hangar18
02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
-If you see a guy walking around the stands with a trophy, shake his hand and tell him its ok, the Cubs are no longer significant cause the Sox won the championship! :redneck

.......that or just buy him a brewski

thomas35forever
02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
- Do keep score when possible, keeps everyone in the games and lets you help a fellow scorekeeper out when he goes to the bathroom and doesn't know how Peralta ended up on second with two outs.

I've got that covered. I've been keeping score at game since I was 9.

SOecks
02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, THEY need to get a life then and pay attention to the game and not to what other people enjoy on their hot dogs.

Yes, THEY do. No need to get so worked up about it. I've gotten in tiffs with people at the park when they ripped on my 6 year old brother for it.

thomas35forever
02-14-2006, 04:57 PM
-Don't bring fans who aren't interested in baseball to games. Otherwise, they might want you to walk around the park with them and you might miss a big play.

Perfect example: our family went to an afternoon game against the Royals once and my sister, who could care less about baseball, asked to walk around (or something). My dad volunteered to, and while they were gone, my mom and I witnessed back-to-back home runs by Robbie Alomar and Willie Harris. To add insult to injury, it was Alomar's first home run of the season.

chisoxfanatic
02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Do NO urinate around the Bridgeport neighborhood, or you'll be kicked into the next year!

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Not getting worked up at all. I just find it hypocritical when fan rips the Cub crowd for worrying about beers and what the hot chicks are wearing, and certain "die hard" Sox fans can't keep their eyes off some guys sausage and buns to see if it has ketchup on it. I just have heard it to often, and it is the ultimate in stupidity to me to see how people can honestly try to have an opinion on what condiments other people like.

SOecks
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Not getting worked up at all. I just find it hypocritical when fan rips the Cub crowd for worrying about beers and what the hot chicks are wearing, and certain "die hard" Sox fans can't keep their eyes off some guys sausage and buns to see if it has ketchup on it. I just have heard it to often and it is the ultimate in stupidity to me how people can honestly try to have an opinion on what condiments other people like.

It is incredibly stupid, but still does seem to be a "rule" for Sox games. Does anyone know where the heck this thing started? I remember being told to take my brother to Wrigley if he wanted to put ketchup on his dog.

MarySwiss
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM
DO NOT--under any circumstances--bring a book! Unless it's the "Dedicated To..." book and you're looking for autographs.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Not getting worked up at all. I just find it hypocritical when fan rips the Cub crowd for worrying about beers and what the hot chicks are wearing, and certain "die hard" Sox fans can't keep their eyes off some guys sausage and buns to see if it has ketchup on it. I just have heard it to often, and it is the ultimate in stupidity to me to see how people can honestly try to have an opinion on what condiments other people like.For a second I thought you were going somewhere else with that.:o:

longshot7
Do not start or participate in the wave

BOO!!!!! I disagree. Where's the harm?

IlliniSox4Life
Here are some for those of us not used to large crowds: -DONT walk with the flow and then stop in the middle of everybody. -DONT wait longer than you have to in/around the bathrooms. -Step to the side after you order something from a food stand, let the person behind you go, and then organize yourself so you can carry it. DONT take an extra couple of minutes doing something there when you could move 2 feet and do it. -DONT block the aisle for whatever reasons people do this. -If you are young/active enough, and there is an empty row/seats in front of you or behind, climb up/down a row and walk through that row so you don't have to make everyone else in your row stand. -In general, just be aware that there are a lot of other people watching this game, not just you.

longshot7
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
DO NOT--under any circumstances--bring a book! Unless it's the "Dedicated To..." book and you're looking for autographs.

What about a scorebook?

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 05:06 PM
It is incredibly stupid, but still does seem to be a "rule" for Sox games. Does anyone know where the heck this thing started? I remember being told to take my brother to Wrigley if he wanted to put ketchup on his dog. Just tell him to go to Wrigley if he is more worried about what people are doing around him in the stands instead of watching the game. A few idiots by no way make a "rule".

thomas35forever
02-14-2006, 05:06 PM

That would probably be suitable for a Hawks game.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
BOO!!!!! I disagree. Where's the harm?The harm is that I come to watch a baseball game and I can't do it with jackasses in front of me jumping up and waving their arms around for no reason. You want to do it BEHIND people who want to watch the game, knock yourself out.

chisoxfanatic
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM

Some nerdy chick brought two novels to the last Blackhawks game I went to. I felt like decking her!

Wimpy
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Not putting ketchup on your hot dog is a Chicago thing. Instead you are supposed to put tomatoes on it. (At least this is the folklore I've heard.) I love ketchup and load my hot dog with it. Even a vendor once yelled at me for asking for ketchup.

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Not putting ketchup on your hot dog is a Chicago thing. Instead you are supposed to put tomatoes on it. (At least this is the folklore I've heard.) I love ketchup and load my hot dog with it. Even a vendor once yelled at me for asking for ketchup.Did the vendor whip you some tomatoes after he yelled at you.

Wimpy
02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Did the vendor whip you some tomatoes after he yelled at you.

No. No tomatoes, just a packet of ketchup and a packet of mustard.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Some nerdy chick brought two novels to the last Blackhawks game I went to. I felt like decking her!

It is sad what Bill Wirtz has done to this once proud franchise.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/3815/histphoto46.jpg

There was no book reading at Chicago Stadium.

Remember the roar (today it is but an echo).

MarySwiss
02-14-2006, 05:30 PM

Maybe this is a Blackhawks thing. Mr.MarySwiss broke up with the fiancee before me because she brought a book to a game. (AND READ IT)

Although I have seen it at Sox games, too. Sorry to admit this, but it was always a woman. Lady, if you want to read, stay home for God's sake!

As to the other poster who asked, "What about a scorebook?" Well, of course, that's okay.

MarySwiss
02-14-2006, 05:33 PM

The harm is that it's a lame tradition that started somewhere else. (Detroit?) Would you approve of Sox fans doing that moronic tomahawk chop? Or throwing back a baseball?

We have enough traditions of our own, we don't need no stinking waves.

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe this is a Blackhawks thing. Mr.MarySwiss broke up with the fiancee before me because she brought a book to a game. (AND READ IT)

Although I have seen it at Sox games, too. Sorry to admit this, but it was always a woman. Lady, if you want to read, stay home for God's sake!

As to the other poster who asked, "What about a scorebook?" Well, of course, that's okay. The only way I could excuse this is if the lady was totally disinterested in baseball, but her kids liked it. Then I give her credit for taking the kids, and hell, enjoy the book if you can through the noise. If it's with a boyfriend/husband and she is just tagging along then JUST STAY HOME!

samram
02-14-2006, 05:46 PM

Heh. I was at a Sox game back in 1990 for one of those big games against Oakland. This girl about seven rows in front of me was reading a book the entire game. The only time she lowered the book to look at the game a Dave Henderson foul ball nailed her right in the face.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
The only way I could excuse this is if the lady was totally disinterested in baseball, but her kids liked it. Then I give her credit for taking the kids, and hell, enjoy the book if you can through the noise. If it's with a boyfriend/husband and she is just tagging along then JUST STAY HOME!If she's not bothering you, why should you care whether she's reading a book, filing her nails or doing her taxes? :dunno:

skobabe8
02-14-2006, 05:52 PM
-Don't check the out of town scoreboard every half inning for the cubs score.

D. TODD
02-14-2006, 05:57 PM
If she's not bothering you, why should you care whether she's reading a book, filing her nails or doing her taxes? :dunno: I agree I wouldn't care. Just seems that she may be trying to spend time with her significant other and in reality putting a damper on his time as opposed to him giving the extra ticket to a friend who enjoyed baseball and finding another activity to do together that they both liked. But, if it works for them, more power to 'em. Read on!

pagansoxfan
02-14-2006, 06:06 PM
during the crosstown series, inform any flub fans standing next to you in the bathroom that while it is permissible to gaze at each other on the northside, it is not allowed in our park.

MarySwiss
02-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I agree I wouldn't care. Just seems that she may be trying to spend time with her significant other and in reality putting a damper on his time as opposed to him giving the extra ticket to a friend who enjoyed baseball and finding another activity to do together that they both liked. But, if it works for them, more power to 'em. Read on!

A case I knew of involved a woman who--according to mutual friends--was just determined to "keep an eye" on her husband and thus insisted on accompanying him to games. I don't know how their marriage turned out, but I wouldn't care to bet on its being a success. I agree with you; better to find a mutual interest.

The point is, why would anyone bring a book with them to a spectator sporting event? And I speak as someone who reads at stoplights. :D:

longshot7
02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
during the crosstown series, inform any flub fans standing next to you in the bathroom that while it is permissible to gaze at each other on the northside, it is not allowed in our park.

Oh brother........ (eye roll) What is THAT supposed to mean?

rocky biddle
02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
With the big crowds flocking to the park next year I'd imagine every "unofficial rule" we can come up with will be broken a thousand times over. My guess is the ketchup on hotdogs pet peeve is gonna be the least of a diehard's worries.

What I'd really like to see is a psa on the jumbotron warning people that they'll be ejected from the park if they throw a ball back into the field of play.

chisoxfanatic
02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Heh. I was at a Sox game back in 1990 for one of those big games against Oakland. This girl about seven rows in front of me was reading a book the entire game. The only time she lowered the book to look at the game a Dave Henderson foul ball nailed her right in the face.

Haha! Poetic justice was served!!! :D:

longshot7
02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
The harm is that I come to watch a baseball game and I can't do it with jackasses in front of me jumping up and waving their arms around for no reason. You want to do it BEHIND people who want to watch the game, knock yourself out.

"Waaaaaaaaaah!!!! I can't watch the game with people around me doing the wave."

Sit in the front row then.

I think the wave by now belongs to everyone - and isn't thought of as belonging to one team. It's fun. Do it and try not to have a big smile afterward.

chisoxfanatic
02-14-2006, 06:33 PM

I think the wave by now belongs to everyone - and isn't thought of as belonging to one team. It's fun. Do it and try not to have a big smile afterward.

Says someone from the West Coast, where the Wave is a prevalent part of the sports experience. :rolleyes: We don't go for that here in the midwest!

You can't sit in the front row if the section is rammed and your tickets are behind the idiots doing the wave.

IlliniSox4Life
02-14-2006, 06:38 PM

hilarious.

soxfanatlanta
02-14-2006, 06:48 PM
There is always room for one more churros.

BeefyD
02-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Wow...must have been there a long time since he was only allowed to get up during the middle of the inning. :smile:

Also, "If you catch a foul ball, give it to a little kid" should have an asterisk by it *-If you've already gotten a ball in your lifetime. I waited 32 years to finally get a ball. No way was I giving that up. Haven't had the opportunity since in the last 3 years (60+ games) to give one to a kid.

DannyCaterFan
02-14-2006, 06:49 PM
I have no idea why this happens to me, but the guy in front of me in Section 530 always reads a newspaper during a game. this should not be allowed unless there is a rain delay! Also Ketchup rules on a Kosher Dog ! :bandance:

pagansoxfan
02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Oh brother........ (eye roll) What is THAT supposed to mean?
think long n hard longshot, lol.

Beer Can Chicken
02-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't throw opposing home runs back.
Don't chant "Cubs Suck" when they arent playing the Cubs and ESPECIALLY during the playoffs.
Wait between outs or other moments of longer game pause to go to the bathroom or concessions.

John Barrett
02-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Hey La ...who cares who started it ... it blows...we don't do it ... fact of life

itsnotrequired
02-14-2006, 07:25 PM
think long n hard longshot, lol.

Well played.:rolleyes:

JohnBasedowYoda
02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Do buy me a beer

roylestillman
02-14-2006, 07:29 PM
DO NOT stand when ordering your Miller Lites from the vendors in the stands. They are trained professionals who can actually hear you from a seated position. This problem was chronic during the playoffs and series. Someone would jump up and do the "what do you want, what do you want" routine,while, I don't know, maybe Posednik was up during the first game of the Boston series.

itsnotrequired
02-14-2006, 07:29 PM
The only "unwritten rule" is to use common sense. Be polite and considerate of those around you and everything will be fine. Does anyone honestly think that someone putting ketchup on a hot dog or quietly reading a book somehow lessens your enjoyment of the game?

pagansoxfan
02-14-2006, 07:39 PM
oh, none of that left field/right field sucks crap either! had someone try starting that chant at a game last yr.

ChiSoxLifer
02-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Always wear your White Sox gear. During a special interleague series - make sure you wear World Series Championship gear.

1951Campbell
02-14-2006, 07:55 PM

I find spectating advice from one who is in the "come in the 3rd, leave in the 8th" part of the country a little suspect. :wink:

Trav
02-14-2006, 08:16 PM

It shows that you are not paying attention to the game. I think that is the problem with many of the "rules''. If you go to the game and don't know what is going on you are making other Sox fans look bad. In the middle of innings I guess it would be ok to keep kids (or someone with the attention span of a kid) busy, but I have seen it done in crucial situations as has everyone else I am sure.

As far as ketchup goes, a "Chicago Dog" has tomatoes on it and is considered to be far above the average hot dog in terms of food status. It would be like buying a $12 steak and having the server ask if you want A-1 sauce. For a $12 steak you ought not need it. Same goes with a Chicago Dog. However, I think you would need to be pretty uptight to actually give this information out at a ballgame when no one asked you.

And for my contribution to this thread I would say standing for the Star Spangled Banner would be nice. It's polite not to talk during the Anthem as well. Have some respect.

soxinem1
02-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Other than breathing, most things done in the Urinal are not accepted at The Cell.

And what ever you do, no waves, and no throwing the opponents HR balls back. The runs still count.

And while we are on that subject, they are runs or even tally's if you wish. But do not refer to them as points or say phrases like:

'The cubs trail the Sox 2-3'
'Two strikes, one ball on the batter'

Hendu
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Do not stand (especially on your seat) to get a better view of a fight/argument in the stands or to watch security dragging someone away. I can't believe how many big pitches or big hits I've missed because idiots in front of me were too busy trying to get a view of what was going on in the stands instead of watching the game.

Soxfanspcu11
02-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I've been going to Sox games for years and have never had anyone say anything to me about putting ketchup on a dog.

It's a good thing to, because of someone said anything to me, and were not joking of course, they would gets a KnuckleSamich!!!:D:

For real though, if someone did say something, I would SMOTHER the dog in ketchup, follow them around and say "UMMMM, THAT'S GOOD" until I was done with it.

spiffie
02-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Thinking about another thread on here about a certain behavior at ballparks, I will offer this trade...I will accept a ban on cell phone usage at the game if anyone who does the wave is summarily banned from ever attending a baseball game on any level ever again. Deal?

pearso66
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
If the Sox are winning, Stand during the whole last out. A few people do it, but there are still those idiots who yell at you to sit down. Its the last out, you gotta be ready to cheer the victory.

And this doesn't just go for Sox games, and not even all the time, but if for some aweful reason, there is a moment of silence during the game. Do not start chanting. I hate when people do that.

Save McCuddy's
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
There is no offense as big as the home run throwback. You are embarassing not only yourself but all of us when you act like a dizzy school girl and throw a perfectly good baseball back onto the playing field as if it will undo the indignity of a homerun.

The second most offensive act which is disturbingly envogue at the Cell is chanting "throw it back" to the lucky soul who has just caught the aforementioned home run ball. Please refrain from this chant as it often leads to the dreaded throw back.

Chisox003
02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
DO NOT stand when ordering your Miller Lites from the vendors in the stands. They are trained professionals who can actually hear you from a seated position.
Trained professionals?!?
:roflmao:

In that case, looks like I better get the hell outta college eh?

On that note, TIP the VENDORS!! (Especially the ones who don't sell beer and look like poor college students .... tip big!!!)

:wink:

Oh, and when the cotton candy guy is in the process of selling some cotton candy to a kid, don't tell the vendor to get the pole out of the way .... What's he supposed to do, fold it in half? :rolleyes:

havelj
02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
One thing's for sure - there is gonna be a lot of amateurs at the games this 2006 season. Loyal Sox fans - prepare for the worst.

Save McCuddy's
02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
If the Sox are winning, Stand during the whole last out. A few people do it, but there are still those idiots who yell at you to sit down. Its the last out, you gotta be ready to cheer the victory.

And this doesn't just go for Sox games, and not even all the time, but if for some aweful reason, there is a moment of silence during the game. Do not start chanting. I hate when people do that.

I agree 1000%. Stand at any significant point of the game that is appropriate. Especially the last out. When anyone hassles you to sit down, stare at them incredulously as they are absolute idiots.

IlliniSox4Life
02-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree 1000%. Stand at any significant point of the game that is appropriate. Especially the last out. When anyone hassles you to sit down, stare at them incredulously as they are absolute idiots.

Especially if it's an older person or somebody who is obviously very uncomftorable standing up and sitting down all game. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

longshot7
02-14-2006, 09:53 PM
It shows that you are not paying attention to the game. I think that is the problem with many of the "rules''. If you go to the game and don't know what is going on you are making other Sox fans look bad. In the middle of innings I guess it would be ok to keep kids (or someone with the attention span of a kid) busy, but I have seen it done in crucial situations as has everyone else I am sure.

I think that is bs. I don't know about you, but I can pay attention and do the wave at the same time. And for the record, I didn't move to LA until I was 23 years old - well after being raised in Chicago baseball etiquette, so that "come in the 3rd, leave in the 7th" stereotype does not describe me.

For the most part, these "rules" seem pretty silly. Who really cares if someone reads a book, or puts ketchup on their hotdog, or does the wave?? Stop being grouchy and assuming your definition of fun is someone's else as well.

People who don't know what's going on only make themselves look bad - Not other Sox fans.

AnkleSox
02-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Don't get malicious with fans of opposing teams (friendly ribbing is okay but fights are completely unacceptable.)

DO get on your feet and get LOUD during a vital part of the game. (Jenks has a 3-2 count with two outs in the bottom of the ninth with bases loaded in a one run game; Thome's at bat with 2 on and the sox trailing by 2).

Don't boo any sox players!

Save your money for WHITE SOX gear, not cubs suck gear.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Don't stand up or return to your seat while the batter is in the box.

SoxFanPrope
02-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Haven't read if this has been mentioned but its worth repeating.........IGNORE idiots who come to the game with a Cubs hat on.

Pureone
02-15-2006, 12:20 AM

I don't know about you, but I have never been to a game when the wave has actually worked.

FedEx227
02-15-2006, 12:44 AM
I've been to a lot, they never work great, but they definetly can get going. I've started a few at Rush games (in my younger days), but I've finally gotten off the wave and don't really do it anymore, to me its just people saying "Hey look at me not paying attention to the game"

CLR01
02-15-2006, 01:54 AM
As far as ketchup goes, a "Chicago Dog" has tomatoes on it and is considered to be far above the average hot dog in terms of food status. It would be like buying a $12 steak and having the server ask if you want A-1 sauce. For a $12 steak you ought not need it. Same goes with a Chicago Dog. However, I think you would need to be pretty uptight to actually give this information out at a ballgame when no one asked you.

Not all hot dogs sold in and around Chicago are "Chicago Hot Dogs". In fact I don't believe you can buy a Chicago style dog at the park. Therefore the more ketchup and onions the better.

http://nohatnocattle.com/jibbajabba/Hot-Dog-2.jpg

nasox
02-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Not all hot dogs sold in and around Chicago are "Chicago Hot Dogs". In fact I don't believe you can buy a Chicago style dog at the park. Therefore the more ketchup and onions the better.

http://nohatnocattle.com/jibbajabba/Hot-Dog-2.jpg

One thing I wish about our dogs is that I could drag by Kosher dog through the garden. But I'll take grilled onions and mustard any day. Now only if we could get some real "stadium mustard" if you know what I mean....

Trav
02-15-2006, 06:36 AM
I think that is bs. I don't know about you, but I can pay attention and do the wave at the same time. And for the record, I didn't move to LA until I was 23 years old - well after being raised in Chicago baseball etiquette, so that "come in the 3rd, leave in the 7th" stereotype does not describe me.

For the most part, these "rules" seem pretty silly. Who really cares if someone reads a book, or puts ketchup on their hotdog, or does the wave?? Stop being grouchy and assuming your definition of fun is someone's else as well.

People who don't know what's going on only make themselves look bad - Not other Sox fans.

How can the people behind you pay attention if you are standing up every 5 seconds to throw your hands in the air?

You are wrong in assuming that individuals representing an entire group don't make the entire group look bad. They do.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry, but your buddy should be stripped of all baseball watching privileges for at least 5 years!!!

He has been...he's a Cub fan.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This is more of a personal story than an unwritten rule...

Do make room on the concourse or seating areas for people with special needs. My wife(Cub fan by family) and I went to 15 games last year, and everyone, from the staff to the fans, was UNBELIEVABLY polite and courteous to her, because she is an amputee and walks on crutches. People made room on the concourse, to and from our seats, we were allowed to move up in line, elevator access, etc. People with small children put their hands on their kids' shoulders to direct them around so she wouldn't be impeded.

NOW, at Wrigley(2 games)....

We were told we had to either take the stairs or the ramps because she was NOT in a wheelchair. People in the seats gave the disgusted look when she had to get her crutches from under the seats to get up. She said she was shoved over 10x going to the bathroom. And the gawking....OMG. I love walking behind her because I can freeze onto someone and force them to make eye contact with me after they've been staring at her.

So, not to say we don't do it, Sox fans, but keep an eye out for those that are not as fortunate as us - if they're there to root the Sox, I'll help stop traffic for them.

IggyD
02-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Some little boys never grow up....

Real Men use Mustard and Onions...and Lots of it:dtroll:

alohafri
02-15-2006, 07:54 AM

I realize that it is a crime to put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago, but I like ketchup and don't like mustard. Guess I am due some serious jail time.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
I realize that it is a crime to put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago, but I like ketchup and don't like mustard. Guess I am due some serious jail time.

You must not be a real fan!:rolleyes:

Seriously, I can't believe what people put on their hot dogs is even a debate. People can get some elotes and dump it in their beer for all I care.

Minnie Me
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Don't bring any child too young to remember that they were at a Sox game. I'm always afraid a foul ball will kill one some day.
Keep these brats off of airplanes as well
Thank you.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Don't bring any child too young to remember that they were at a Sox game. I'm always afraid a foul ball will kill one some day.
Keep these brats off of airplanes as well
Thank you.

Sorry to break this "rule" but my 7-month old will be there on my lap Opening Day and at least 30-40 more games throught the season. I won't tell you what to put on your hot dog if you don't tell me what to put on my lap.:wink:

steff
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
You'll get my ketchup covered Kosher Dog when you pry it from my cold dead hand!

Ditto

Realist
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM
When the guy sitting in front of you gets up to go take a wizz, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ask the girl that's been sitting next to him if her boyfriend has a lot of money because he must have season tickets because you see him at nearly every game and he's always there with another girl. A really really bad follow up question to that one is, "Doesn't that bother you?"

:angry:

rdwj
02-15-2006, 08:05 AM

As long as you cut up your hotdog in little pieces (not round or you might choke) and eat it without a bun, it's ok to dip your hotdog in ketchup. Just make sure to wear a bib so you don't drip any on your onezie.

:D:

Jerko
02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
One thing's for sure - there is gonna be a lot of amateurs at the games this 2006 season. Loyal Sox fans - prepare for the worst.

True. I wonder how long the World Series hangover will last for me in that regard. Right now I just want to be at a game and I don't really care what anybody else in the park does, but by June that could be a different story.

soxfan13
02-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Do not throw home run balls back on to the field.

Like the knuckle head supposed Sox fan that sat in front of me during game 2 of the world series and threw morgan ensbergs home run back. He caught me off guard and I told him I would have bought him a beer for the ball if it meant that little to him. He went on to tell me if i was a real Sox fan i wouldnt want the ball. I told him if he was a real baseball fan and Sox fan he would understand the importance of owning a game ball from the White Sox first world series in 88 years no matter who hit it:smile:

Minnie Me
02-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Its a free country (mostly), you have the legal, moral and any other right you want to take a 7mo. old to a ballgame.
I think its all about you and not about the baby. Look at me I got a baby! Big deal, thousands are born every day. Its only special to you, not to me.
Do I want to sit next to you?
No way. Get a babysitter, cheapster.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Its a free country (mostly), you have the legal, moral and any other right you want to take a 7mo. old to a ballgame.
I think its all about you and not about the baby. Look at me I got a baby! Big deal, thousands are born every day. Its only special to you, not to me.
No way. Get a babysitter, cheapster.

Well, you figured out my master plan: I am bringing my son to games to be cheap and show off. Kudos to your fine reasoning.

:rolleyes:

Shouldn't you be on a ledge somewhere lamenting the loss of Willie Harris?

alohafri
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM

I have to disagree with this. Royce "the Choice" and Billy Koch got deservedly ridden like Seabiscuit. As a fan, this is our way of showing disapproval for consistent crappy play.

soxfan13
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, you figured out my master plan: I am bringing my son to games to be cheap and show off. Kudos to your fine reasoning.

Shouldn't you be on a ledge somewhere lamenting the loss of Willie Harris?

You cheap bastard since you cant bring kids to the game ill take the tickets off your hands whenever you cant find a babysitter:D:

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
No way.Sounds like a good reason to bring a baby.:D:

AZChiSoxFan
02-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey, did Tony LaRussa or Bob Brenly lend you the book of "Baseball's Unwritten Rules" ? They are the keepers of it you know.

You forgot to include Nathaniel Showalter.

EastCoastSoxFan
02-15-2006, 09:38 AM
-- When watching the Sox in an opposing ballpark, DO make every effort to find and greet fellow Sox fans!!!

EastCoastSoxFan
02-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't know about you, but I have never been to a game when the wave has actually worked.
At one of the games I went to in Baltimore they managed to make several complete revolutions of the wave around the entire stadium.
Even though I'm no more a fan of the wave than most Sox fans (and absolutely did NOT participate in it myself), I'll admit I was impressed...

AZChiSoxFan
02-15-2006, 09:47 AM
The harm is that it's a lame tradition that started somewhere else. (Detroit?) Would you approve of Sox fans doing that moronic tomahawk chop? Or throwing back a baseball?

We have enough traditions of our own, we don't need no stinking waves.

I'm fairly sure it was started by Seahawk fans in the Kingdome.

mjharrison72
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM

I couldn't agree more. Don't boo your own team. A bush league play by the opposition, Torii Hunter, the umps, yes, but not your own team.

It's also acceptable to boo Ozzie if he's coming in to remove a starter who's thrown a great game... that happened a couple of times last year... but those boos should quickly revert to cheers and an ovation if warranted.

There's nothing I hate worse, though, than some knucklehead who thinks he knows everything standing up and blasting one of our relievers or someone who strikes out or makes an error. All you're doing is flaunting your ignorance and angering REAL fans. Groan? Maybe. Boo? Never.

rocky biddle
02-15-2006, 09:53 AM
At one of the games I went to in Baltimore they managed to make several complete revolutions of the wave around the entire stadium.
Even though I'm no more a fan of the wave than most Sox fans (and absolutely did NOT participate in it myself), I'll admit I was impressed...

My wife and I saw U2 at Croke Park in Dublin last summer and the crowd rocked the wave pretty hard. It was actually pretty cool the first few times because it went all the way around the seats and then continued down across the people on the floor and back to the other side of the stadium. Needless to say I was but a spectator.

mjharrison72
02-15-2006, 09:55 AM
I have to disagree with this. Royce "the Choice" and Billy Koch got deservedly ridden like Seabiscuit. As a fan, this is our way of showing disapproval for consistent crappy play.
I suppose there are exceptions to every rule for some people... I just don't think booing your own team is accpetable under very many circumstances.

Realist
02-15-2006, 09:57 AM
The Fan Deck pretty much screws up any chance that the wave can really get going at the Cell. It creates a huge blind spot for the people that need to see when it ends on the other side and when they're supposed to get up.

I don't think we have to worry too much about the wave.

Jerko
02-15-2006, 10:25 AM
That's it. Whoever breaks any of these unwritten rules should be spanked with their cellphones by a person who is smoking and eating a hot dog with ketchup on it while doing the wave during play after throwing back a home run ball.

cbone
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
That's it. Whoever breaks any of these unwritten rules should be spanked with their cellphones by a person who is smoking and eating a hot dog with ketchup on it while doing the wave during play after throwing back a home run ball.

Who is going to hold their 7 month old baby while they're getting spanked?

Jerko
02-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Who is going to hold their 7 month old baby while they're getting spanked?

Minnie Me.

Baby Fisk
02-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Minnie Me.
Pretending that it's Willie Harris's love child.

Chip Z'nuff
02-15-2006, 10:52 AM
No one is allowed to mention the C word during regular season games (will be allowed for 3 interleague games). The war is ova'. We won!

North Sox Sider
02-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Save your money for WHITE SOX gear, not cubs suck gear.

I would disagree with this also. I Boooed Damaso Marte every chance I got. He was absolutely brutal last year. His skills have fallen off alot since 2003 and his who cares attitude I didnt care for at all

alohafri
02-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I suppose there are exceptions to every rule for some people... I just don't think booing your own team is accpetable under very many circumstances.

Exactly. Wanna have some fun? Look for Steff at a game and tell her that the Sox just signed Royce Clayton to take over shortstop. :redneck

Garland_IS_God
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
- Don't yell how the jumbotron "Fan Cam" is running out of batteries (this applies to everyone but me, it's my bit.)

Your gonna have to fight me for that bit because I say it all the time when im at the games. Now whenever my gf see's it before me, she says it all sarcastic right before I get the chance too. She says it was funny the first time and only the first time.

Panpan21
02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
The Fan Deck pretty much screws up any chance that the wave can really get going at the Cell. It creates a huge blind spot for the people that need to see when it ends on the other side and when they're supposed to get up.

I don't think we have to worry too much about the wave.

Don't count on it. Up here in Minnesota Twins fans do it ALL THE TIME!!! If you haven't been here there is HUGE blind in center field and no seats in right field lower deck, yet these morons still manage to figure it out. Plus they always throw the ball back on home runs, they love their ketchup and their cell phones!!!

One thing I'll never get is how much hatred people have for fans of opposing teams. When I walk into the "enemy's territory" I fully expect to get ribbed and have jokes made about me, etc., but when you actually want to fight me that just means you have issues. I find it totally classless when I come home and see Sox fans doing the same.

Plus you should watch your language. Dropping F bombs at a bar is one thing, but dropping F bombs when there's a little league team behind you is another!!! I've dropped a few in front of kids myself, but I will always apologize to the parents.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I would disagree with this also. I Boooed Damaso Marte every chance I got. He was absolutely brutal last year. His skills have fallen off alot since 2003 and his who cares attitude I didnt care for at allWhat, exactly, did that accomplish? If anything, it make him worse.

IMO, booing is for players who suck because they're not trying hard. The only thing you accomplish by booing a player who's giving it all he's got is to make yourself feel superior.

skottyj242
02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Do stand up during the into video and start clapping long before Gene Honda tells you to so.

Do get chills during above said video.

If you're at the game on Opening Night it is perfectly okay to cry like a little girl with a skinned knee, I know me and my dad will.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
If you're at the game on Opening Night it is perfectly okay to cry like a little girl with a skinned knee, I know me and my dad will.

Cue the Great Emo Thread hijack.:redneck

Realist
02-15-2006, 11:26 AM
If you happen to nab a t-shirt tossed into the stands by the Chevy Pride Crew, you must fire it right back at one of 'em and see if you nail 'em right in the noggin when they're not looking. If you succeed, everyone sitting in your section must take turns buying you your beer for the rest of the game.

Of course, I'm just speaking ex cathedra.

ode to veeck
02-15-2006, 11:28 AM

Are you frickin' kidding?!?!
No waves, period!!!

soccermomsox
02-15-2006, 11:30 AM

That goes for the Ring Ceremony as well!! Once in a lifetime!

skottyj242
02-15-2006, 11:30 AM
If you happen to nab a t-shirt tossed into the stands by the Chevy Pride Crew, you must fire it right back at one of 'em and see if you nail 'em right in the noggin when they're not looking. If you succeed, everyone sitting in your section must take turns buying you your beer for the rest of the game.

Of course, I'm just speaking ex cathedra.

That is by far the funniest thing I have heard all day. If you're ever in 158 and I see you do that I will buy you a couple of coldies.

Chip Z'nuff
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Do stand up during the into video and start clapping long before Gene Honda tells you to so.

Do get chills during above said video.

Ah yes I was at the game when this tradition started. The year was 2000 and the Sox had just completed a sweep of the Indians and the Yankees and came home to the biggest walk up crowd of the year.

We gave them the biggest ovation this side of a World Series win.

Realist
02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
That is by far the funniest thing I have heard all day. If you're ever in 158 and I see you do that I will buy you a couple of coldies.

I'll be in section 144 all season, but hell... I live right in the hood. If you can't wait, you can buy me one at the Inner Town Pub or Club Foot.

:smile:

SouthSideHitman
02-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Your gonna have to fight me for that bit because I say it all the time when im at the games. Now whenever my gf see's it before me, she says it all sarcastic right before I get the chance too. She says it was funny the first time and only the first time.

Yeah, it probably was only funny the first time, that's why you gotta keep going to games with different people. Otherwise you just get popcorn thrown at you (and when I say "you" here, I mean "I".)

skottyj242
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I'll be in section 144 all season, but hell... I live right in the hood. If you can't wait, you can buy me one at the Inner Town Pub or Club Foot.

Lottie's or Blue Line are my haunts.

skottyj242
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Ah yes I was at the game when this tradition started. The year was 2000 and the Sox had just completed a sweep of the Indians and the Yankees and came home to the biggest walk up crowd of the year.

We gave them the biggest ovation this side of a World Series win.

I was at that game too, I believe James Baldwin pitched?

SouthSideHitman
02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
What, exactly, did that accomplish? If anything, it make him worse.

IMO, booing is for players who suck because they're not trying hard. The only thing you accomplish by booing a player who's giving it all he's got is to make yourself feel superior.

In most cases, I would agree, unless the overall level of play just gets really bad out there. I remember last year I went to the Sunday game in September in which the Angels finished a sweep. El Duque was on the mound and he gave up something like three identical homers in two innnings to put us down by like five runs. The team had been playing bad all weekend and Hernandez kept serving up the same mistake over and over again. I felt perfectly justified in booing because it's not like they were trying there damndest and just being outplayed, they were stinking up the field. Plus the booing allowed me to delude myself that perhaps Ozzie was listening to me when he finally yanked El Duque and brought in McCarthey, who shoulda started in the first place and who pitched six great innings.

mwc44
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Do tailgate.

... RESPONSIBLY! (Don't use the car next to you as a coaster, bench or a TV tray!)

VenturaSoxFan23
02-15-2006, 11:58 AM
-Please remove your hat for the National Anthem. (If you're older than the age of 4, you shouldn't be told.) If you wear your hat during the anthem, it should be permissible to set it on fire during "the rockets red glare".

-The "stand off to the side after buying food" one is good. Some people have less sense than brains. If you're in a line longer than 3 people deep, know what you want by the time you get to the counter. If you're first in line, stand back and get an idea just in case somebody else already knows what they want. Don't hog up the line wondering for 5 minutes what you want.

-Be courteous to the scorecard sellers. Don't buy a 75 cent pencil and a $1.00 scorecard and pay with a $20 bill. At least buy a program, too. Or tip the guy. (Thank goodness they sell pencils, I never understood why they sold clickety pens that don't work half of the time.)

-Food storage: if you're not done with your nachos and don't feel like holding them, for crying out loud, put it under your seat! Don't leave it in the aisle so someone can walk on it. Then, that someone gets mad because they weren't done.

-Don't wear Cubs stuff to the game. Just don't. Respect your surroundings.

-For you Walkman guys: Under no circumstances do you repeat Ed Farmer's calling of the game. If they have an interesting fact that applied to the at-bat, that's okay. Don't repeat his stories about the 1976 Phillies. They're all the same after the 15th time hearing it.

The Critic
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Although Joe Girardi is tugging on LaRussa's pant leg to write a few new rules in the book, since he also apparently invented the game.

The Critic
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Gotta stay awake somehow....:D:

comet2k
02-15-2006, 12:34 PM
DO wait until between innings or between batters to get up for more nachos.

Please DO NOT get up or try to return to your seat when it's the bottom of the 7th, the Sox are down a run, and there are two outs with the bases loaded and a 2-2 count on the batter.

Last year we had the misfortune of having aisle seats for some games in which the "comers and goers" kept blocking our view of home plate during crucial moments like that. It really is annoying.

When I got a 27-game package this year in the UD above 1st base, I made sure the aisle was to our right, so the traffic wouldn't block the view of the pitcher and batter.

mcg
02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Please respect the No Smoking policy in the seating area. If you must smoke please leave your seat and go do it in the designated areas. And no, I'm not concerned about the effects of secondhand smoke; I just don't like the smell.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
If you come up with something witty to yell at opposing players, it loses a lot of its charm after the first 100 times you repeat it.

celicacutie
02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
If you come up with something witty to yell at opposing players, it loses a lot of its charm after the first 100 times you repeat it.

Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:

Chip Z'nuff
02-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:
My favorite one was "Hay Salmon! You Fish!"

alohafri
02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Ah yes I was at the game when this tradition started. The year was 2000 and the Sox had just completed a sweep of the Indians and the Yankees and came home to the biggest walk up crowd of the year..

I started that in the outside patio of the Bullpen Bar. No one ever believes me. Even my wife was wondering what I was doing at the time.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I started that in the outside patio of the Bullpen Bar. No one ever believes me. Even my wife was wondering what I was doing at the time.

I was there and gladly joined in. I remember there wasn't 20k there when it started, but man, was it LOUD.

skottyj242
02-15-2006, 02:43 PM

So you mean that me yelling for every opposing left fielder to "Go back to Russia, you communist," gets old?

longshot7
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Are you frickin' kidding?!?!
No waves, period!!!

Maybe we should replace the National Anthem with a mandatory wave around the stadium since it doesn't serve any purpose at baseball games either.

maurice
02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Our season tix in 2003 were next to a couple with a baby. They brought him to every game and left at a reasonable hour. The kid was very well behaved and never caused a problem.

The chances of him getting injured by a batted ball <<< the chances of him getting injured in the car on the drive to or from the park.

kninchicago
02-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Throw in another vote for no waves at ballgames. The wave is so stupid!! Like many things discussed on this thread--it may have been funny the first time, now it's lame. It's very distracting to have a bunch of drunk college kids scream at me about how "OK now we're really gonna start the wave, OK? You gotta help us out".

I don't care what people eat at the park.

The one time I sat next to two parents with a baby, it was probably around 6 mo old...it was a disaster. Up and down every 5 minutes, the kid cried, kept handing it off back and forth between them (they weren't seated next to each other so every time they wanted to swap holding it they had to make this big production), then it sat next to me on dad's lap for a while and kicked me the whole time. I am sure there are plenty of families with babies who can handle it...but these people couldn't.

Blueprint1
02-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Throw in another vote for no waves at ballgames. The wave is so stupid!! Like many things discussed on this thread--it may have been funny the first time, now it's lame. It's very distracting to have a bunch of drunk college kids scream at me about how "OK now we're really gonna start the wave, OK? You gotta help us out".

I don't care what people eat at the park.

The one time I sat next to two parents with a baby, it was probably around 6 mo old...it was a disaster. Up and down every 5 minutes, the kid cried, kept handing it off back and forth between them (they weren't seated next to each other so every time they wanted to swap holding it they had to make this big production), then it sat next to me on dad's lap for a while and kicked me the whole time. I am sure there are plenty of families with babies who can handle it...but these people couldn't.

So how many times will we have to hear about how the wave sucks this year. There will be a lot of people at the games this year that do not care as much as we do. We will see the wave a lot. I think we should all get used to it before we have 10,000 posts about it.

Chip Z'nuff
02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
So how many times will we have to hear about how the wave sucks this year. There will be a lot of people at the games this year that do not care as much as we do. We will see the wave a lot. I think we should all get used to it before we have 10,000 posts about it.
Does anybody else remember the video they used to play (late 80s early 90's?) at the park about how stupid the wave was?

kninchicago
02-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Ha, you'll hear about how the wave sucks from me *any* year.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 04:06 PM

This will be our first go at it with a baby as well (7 month old). So far, the kid is a champ in regards to being out in public. No fussing, crying, etc. Half the time he falls asleep. We're hoping he keeps it going.

We have good seats too. We are on the aisle (next to each other, obviously) and only six rows back in the Upper Deck. If the kid does go bonkos, it is as simple as standing up and walking down the steps to the concourse.

bigfoot
02-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Please remember to help serenade the removal of the opposition's pitcher! Na Na Na Na,Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye!!!!! (Hit, Showers, Repeat!)

geraldfritz
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
and if you are in the bullpen sports bar, heckle the hell out of the opposing pitchers. it gets great, especially when we are all tanked.

And if you talk to another fan about baseball, actually know what you are talking about and dont try to fake it. we will expose you for the frauds that you are.

SweetnesSox
02-15-2006, 06:23 PM
how about "do whatever you want"? you paid money for the ticket, you can do anything that doesn't offend anyone else around you. If everyone else is doing the wave, it means we're down by 6 and you don't need to watch anyway. If you're bored, go home in the 8th. If you don't like baseball, read a book and good job bringing the kids even though you don't like it. If you like mustard, ketchup, honey, sugar, and gummi bears on your hot dog, eat it. White Sox games aren't filled with people like us, if you couldn't tell. Some people love baseball, some like it, some have no idea what baseball is and some are just bored and don't wanna see a movie. If these rules were posted outside of Comiskey and were enforced, we'd have 3,000 attendance every night. This thread is pointless and opinionated. I'm embarassed to have wrote this much about it hahaha. It just bothers me when someone says "you put ketchup on your hot dog? That means I'm a better sox fan." Or "the score is cubs 32, sox 2 and you glanced at your paper? Go to wrigley!" I dunno I just have a headache and maybe had to vent. I'll probably get roasted and called a hippie :rolleyes: Have fun doin whatever you wan't at the park this year guys, because it's America's past time not Nazi Germany's.

Realist
02-15-2006, 06:36 PM
how about "do whatever you want"? you paid money for the ticket, you can do anything that doesn't offend anyone else around you. If everyone else is doing the wave, it means we're down by 6 and you don't need to watch anyway. If you're bored, go home in the 8th. If you don't like baseball, read a book and good job bringing the kids even though you don't like it. If you like mustard, ketchup, honey, sugar, and gummi bears on your hot dog, eat it. White Sox games aren't filled with people like us, if you couldn't tell. Some people love baseball, some like it, some have no idea what baseball is and some are just bored and don't wanna see a movie. If these rules were posted outside of Comiskey and were enforced, we'd have 3,000 attendance every night. This thread is pointless and opinionated. I'm embarassed to have wrote this much about it hahaha. It just bothers me when someone says "you put ketchup on your hot dog? That means I'm a better sox fan." Or "the score is cubs 32, sox 2 and you glanced at your paper? Go to wrigley!" I dunno I just have a headache and maybe had to vent. I'll probably get roasted and called a hippie :rolleyes: Have fun doin whatever you wan't at the park this year guys, because it's America's past time not Nazi Germany's.

Hippie.

SweetnesSox
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Give peace a chance.

Save McCuddy's
02-15-2006, 08:14 PM

Inner Town Pub -- now that's one hell of a bar. I remember a Sunday afternoon in there when they ran out of John Daniels. Impressive.

Please ignore the fan-o-meter if you have it in you. This shameless mechanism is an embarassment to us all.

Andy T Clown
02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Don't reinforce negative stereotypes of Sox fans. The cubune will report on every fight in our stands, and everything that happens outside our stadium.

If there is a murder a Wrigley, it will be reported somewhere between Capricorn and Virgo in the Horiscopes.

Have fun and enjoy another Championship season.

I don't care if you put catsup on your popcorn!

GO SOX!!!!:gulp:

chisoxfan64
02-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Don't reinforce negative stereotypes of Sox fans. The cubune will report on every fight in our stands, and everything that happens outside our stadium.

If there is a murder a Wrigley, it will be reported somewhere between Capricorn and Virgo in the Horiscopes.

Have fun and enjoy another Championship season.

I don't care if you put catsup on your popcorn!

GO SOX!!!!:gulp:

I will forever defend putting ketchup on hot dogs, but catsup should never be put on anything.

Milkman43
02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I hate it when people where red White-Sox hats

D. TODD
02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I hate it when people where red White-Sox hats Why? Now I could understand if they were white Red Sox hats.

Soxfanspcu11
02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
In most cases, I would agree, unless the overall level of play just gets really bad out there. I remember last year I went to the Sunday game in September in which the Angels finished a sweep. El Duque was on the mound and he gave up something like three identical homers in two innnings to put us down by like five runs. The team had been playing bad all weekend and Hernandez kept serving up the same mistake over and over again. I felt perfectly justified in booing because it's not like they were trying there damndest and just being outplayed, they were stinking up the field. Plus the booing allowed me to delude myself that perhaps Ozzie was listening to me when he finally yanked El Duque and brought in McCarthey, who shoulda started in the first place and who pitched six great innings.

Couldn't agree more. I was at the last regular season home game on September 25th, 2005 against the Twins. It was when Crazy was in his horrible slump and at the time was batting something like .246 This was also around the time he was complaining about OZ moving him down in the lineup. IIRC, he struck out his first 2 AB's and looked HORRIBLE. ALL of Comiskey showered him with boo's that he rightfully deserved. His performance at that time was deserving of the crowd's response.

I think booing any member of your own team should be used in EXTREME circumstances only, and this certainly was one.

ChiSoxLifer
02-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Inner Town Pub -- now that's one hell of a bar. I remember a Sunday afternoon in there when they ran out of John Daniels. Impressive.

Please ignore the fan-o-meter if you have it in you. This shameless mechanism is an embarassment to us all.

John Daniels the gospel singer?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=49212

TheOldRoman
02-16-2006, 12:18 AM
One thing I'll never get is how much hatred people have for fans of opposing teams. When I walk into the "enemy's territory" I fully expect to get ribbed and have jokes made about me, etc., but when you actually want to fight me that just means you have issues. I find it totally classless when I come home and see Sox fans doing the same.

Plus you should watch your language. Dropping F bombs at a bar is one thing, but dropping F bombs when there's a little league team behind you is another!!! I've dropped a few in front of kids myself, but I will always apologize to the parents.
I agree 100% on the language thing. It was always worse on half price nights, but it is always there. I don't have any kids, but I feel embarrassed when clowns around me start shouting out swears. Show some class and remember that there ARE kids around you. Not all parents like their children being exposed to that language. You are not at a poker game, a bar, or a strip club. It is not cute to chant "**** the umps" no matter how much they suck that particular day.

As for opposing fans, respect them. If they are loud an obnoxious, let them have it. However, don't heckle opposing fans if they keep to themselves. Don't yell "Red Sox suck" when there is a family of Red Sox fans around you.

Deuce
02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
It is OK to cheer the idiot (and often drunk) fan running onto the field as long as you cheer even louder as he is getting pummelled and dragged away by park security.

AZChiSoxFan
02-16-2006, 08:35 AM
No one is allowed to mention the C word during regular season games (will be allowed for 3 interleague games). The war is ova'. We won!

"War's over man...Wermer dropped the big one."

"Over, did you say, over? Nothing is over until WE decide it is!!! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Germans??"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

AZChiSoxFan
02-16-2006, 08:43 AM
This will be our first go at it with a baby as well (7 month old). So far, the kid is a champ in regards to being out in public. No fussing, crying, etc. Half the time he falls asleep. We're hoping he keeps it going.

We have good seats too. We are on the aisle (next to each other, obviously) and only six rows back in the Upper Deck. If the kid does go bonkos, it is as simple as standing up and walking down the steps to the concourse.

Fine, but when you give him a hotdog will it have ketchup on it??

kninchicago
02-16-2006, 09:44 AM
itsnotrequired it seems you've thought out well how to handle having your child at the game. I'm sure it won't be a problem. Good thinking getting aisle seats--I don't know why the couple w/the kid weren't sitting together or on an aisle, that was stupidity on their part.

Jerko
02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
itsnotrequired it seems you've thought out well how to handle having your child at the game. I'm sure it won't be a problem. Good thinking getting aisle seats--I don't know why the couple w/the kid weren't sitting together or on an aisle, that was stupidity on their part.

I know it's too late for THIS season, but one of my friends brings his son to a few games and always asks for 2 seats in the last row of the bleachers. There's a little area behind the seats where he can leave the stroller or walker or whatever and the kid can mill around out there without bothering anybody or getting trampled.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2006, 09:52 AM
I know it's too late for THIS season, but one of my friends brings his son to a few games and always asks for 2 seats in the last row of the bleachers. There's a little area behind the seats where he can leave the stroller or walker or whatever and the kid can mill around out there without bothering anybody or getting trampled.

Next season is a concern for me. He's small enough this season so he won't need a ticket and can just sit on my lap. Depending on how he grows, he may need a ticket for next year. My season ticket plans are in limbo for next season. We'll have to see how he grows and how he handles the game atmosphere.

rdwj
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Next season is a concern for me. He's small enough this season so he won't need a ticket and can just sit on my lap. Depending on how he grows, he may need a ticket for next year...

Glad you mentioned that! Do you happen to know at what age kids are required to have their own ticket?

itsnotrequired
02-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Glad you mentioned that! Do you happen to know at what age kids are required to have their own ticket?

Its not an age but rather a height. From whitesox.com:

Child Admittance
U.S. Cellular Field offers complimentary admission to children under 36” in height. However, we do require that the child sit in their accompanying adult’s lap and do not occupy an additional seat. Promotional giveaways are only available for ticketed guests. Tickets for children taller than 36” are priced the same as adult tickets.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide.jsp

PennStater98r
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
It would be like buying a $12 steak and having the server ask if you want A-1 sauce. For a $12 steak you ought not need it.

Uhm - I was thinking that on a $12 steak - A1 would be just the thing you need. However, if we're talking about a $17-$25 steak - enjoy it with nothing more than its own juices.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Uhm - I was thinking that on a $12 steak - A1 would be just the thing you need. However, if we're talking about a $17-$25 steak - enjoy it with nothing more than its own juices.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I believe you can get a $12 steak at Denny's.

PennStater98r
02-16-2006, 10:12 AM
For real though, if someone did say something, I would SMOTHER the dog in ketchup, follow them around and say "UMMMM, THAT'S GOOD" until I was done with it.

Damn you dude - I just let out a cackle at work, and now everyone is staring at me.

Here's my thing. Ketchup - as opposed to catsup - does not belong on a dog - if you can score diced tomatoes. So, until the cooks start dicing tomatoes at U.S. Cellular, I'm going for the works on my dog. Heck - I'll even walk to the nacho stand and ask for hot peppers for the thing. Everything belongs on a dog that you can get your hands on - including the kitchen sink.

rdwj
02-16-2006, 10:14 AM
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I believe you can get a $12 steak at Denny's.

Applebees has a pretty good house sirloin for ten bucks. It's not Magnums, but it does the trick.

soxfan13
02-16-2006, 10:14 AM

12 dollar steaks are good with ketchup:D:

soxfan13
02-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Dont know if this was mentioned yet but I hate it when your in line for the bathroom and others think its ok to enter the bathroom thru the exit door and do a massive cut in line. So please wait in line like the other polite fans

PennStater98r
02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Keep your hands off of each other. I don't care if the other guy is wearing a Cubs jersey. Don't fight in the park. I have seen one too many fights in the outfield in my day - always teenage kids or men in their early twenties.

Along the line of the keep your hands off of each other. My brother and father and I were at game 1 of the ALCS. We were excited, and though my brother is an adult of sound mind, he forgot to take his hat off for the National Anthem. I know he should have, but a guy behind him demanded he take it off with cursing and profanity. It was one of those things you heard, but being that we were in the second round of the play-offs, some of the background noise was just not registering. The guy finally too the flat of his hand and BONKed the top of my brother's head and told him "Take your ******* hat off!"

Here's the thing. Sure it's disrespectful to wear your hat at a game during the anthem, but it's ignorant and rude to curse and yell profanities around children and then commit a crime by putting ones hands on another like that. What's the greater crime?

Keep your hands off of each other at the park unless you're slapping five or hugging.

And don't make out either. :redneck

soxfan13
02-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Keep your hands off of each other. I don't care if the other guy is wearing a Cubs jersey. Don't fight in the park. I have seen one too many fights in the outfield in my day - always teenage kids or men in their early twenties.

Along the line of the keep your hands off of each other. My brother and father and I were at game 1 of the ALCS. We were excited, and though my brother is an adult of sound mind, he forgot to take his hat off for the National Anthem. I know he should have, but a guy behind him demanded he take it off with cursing and profanity. It was one of those things you heard, but being that we were in the second round of the play-offs, some of the background noise was just not registering. The guy finally too the flat of his hand and BONKed the top of my brother's head and told him "Take your ******* hat off!"

Here's the thing. Sure it's disrespectful to wear your hat at a game, but it's ignorant and rude to curse and yell profanities around children and then commit a crime by putting ones hands on another like that. What's the greater crime?

Keep your hands off of each other at the park unless you're slapping five or hugging.

And don't make out either. :redneck

Im glad it was ok to hug one of the parks clean up guys after paulies grand slam in game two of the world series:smile:

skottyj242
02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Im glad it was ok to hug one of the parks clean up guys after paulies grand slam in game two of the world series:smile:

Then you picked me up after Pod's walk-off.

Trav
02-16-2006, 11:42 AM

Fair enough.

sox420fan
02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Dont know if this was mentioned yet but I hate it when your in line for the bathroom and others think its ok to enter the bathroom thru the exit door and do a massive cut in line. So please wait in line like the other polite fans

People that enter through the exit door should be beaten severely.

AZChiSoxFan
02-16-2006, 02:59 PM

Twelve Bucks??!?! Try about half that at Denny's!

AZChiSoxFan
02-16-2006, 03:02 PM

and forced to eat a hotdog with Ketchup on it.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Twelve Bucks??!?! Try about half that at Denny's!

I was talking about the good steak, the Ted Danson steak.

Chip Z'nuff
02-16-2006, 03:35 PM
and forced to eat a hotdog with Ketchup on it.
ChiSox Bathroom ettiquette could be its own thread.

PennStater98r
02-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Isn't that a Zep album?

Chip Z'nuff
02-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Isn't that a Zep album?

Yeah if Plant was into figure skating maybe

PennStater98r
02-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah if Plant was into figure skating maybe

Uhm - I was not making a "figure skating" joke.

I was refering to an album called - In Through the Out Door.

I guess you've never heard of it.

Sox35th
02-16-2006, 04:12 PM
If it’s not the Sox/Cubs series ……….fans with Cubs jerseys on should NOT be allowed into the Cell !!!! (Last season there were way to many Cubs jerseys at the Cell) If so…..then they should get what they deserve.

Also...........No spilling of beer!!

the gooch
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
you can get a chicago dog (with tomatoes ) in the bullpen bar.

ws05champs
02-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Also...........No spilling of beer!!

Not even on cub fans?

gaelhound
02-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Heres a real ketchup eating pile of west coast fluff!

soxguy
02-16-2006, 09:25 PM
How bout this...........PUT YOUR GD CELL PHONES AWAY,YOU FRICKIN LOSERS!!!!

TheOldRoman
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but DO NOT PEE IN THE SINKS NO MATTER HOW LONG THE LINES ARE.
I haven't personally seen it done at the Cell, but it happens at the Urinal every day, so I assume the Cubs fans do it when they come to the Cell. If you see in happening, please find security.
Also, the neighborhood is nice, so leave it how you found it. Don't piss all around Bridgeport, don't litter, and make sure to use the garbage cans in the parking lots if you are tailgating.

JoeCrede4MVP06
02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Don't talk during the Star Spangled Banner. Show respect for this nation and the people who have fought and are fighting for our freedom.

Stoky44
02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
I was talking about the good steak, the Ted Danson steak.

"You are complaining about a private jet?"

"I was expecting better. Do you think this is the Ted Danson jet, Jerry? Get on the phone and tell NBC we want the Ted Danson plane!"

chisoxfanatic
02-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Don't talk during the Star Spangled Banner. Show respect for this nation and the people who have fought and are fighting for our freedom.

I personally LOVE the Blackhawk tradition for the National Anthem and wish more places would do the same thing!

SOecks
02-16-2006, 11:37 PM

Agreed, but I REFUSE to take my hat off when they choose to play God Bless America at the Cell or any other ballbark. Apparently this became the new pseudo national anthem for some games in the seventh inning since 911. I don't know why, but for some reason the playing of that song seems so contrived and forced and I can't stand it.

fozzy
02-17-2006, 01:50 AM
is it ok to use my cell phone if im using to tease my friends because im at the game and their not? by the way im eating ketchup on my dog because thats how i like em. other then not getting up during the middle of an inning and respecting the anthem how bout f all the other ones and enjoy the game

SoxFan78
02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Do not stand up with your cell phone and talk to somebody on the other side of the stadium and say

"Can you see me? Im waving, im next to that guy in the red shirt. Can you see me now? No thats not me, but im close to him. Yeah, im waving, yeah thats me, HI HI HI HI"

Cat Thief
02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Agreed, but I REFUSE to take my hat off when they choose to play God Bless America at the Cell or any other ballbark. Apparently this became the new pseudo national anthem for some games in the seventh inning since 911. I don't know why, but for some reason the playing of that song seems so contrived and forced and I can't stand it.

God forbid if you take a couple of minutes to honor this great land we live in.

alohafri
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I hate it when people where red White-Sox hats

One of my prized possessions is my 70's Melton-era red cap.

alohafri
02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Applebees has a pretty good house sirloin for ten bucks. It's not Magnums, but it does the trick.

Nothing beats the Ribeye I had at Kokomo's at the Mirage.

alohafri
02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
No spilling of beer!!

Now THAT is a crime.

Hangar18
02-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Never EVER just give your tickets to some hoodlum looking people on bikes or with signs that say "Need 2". They are scalpers. Give your tickets ALWAYS to legitimate SOX Fans. How can you tell?

Here are Hangar18's rules for Sox Ticket Engagement:
1: Make sure the person is wearing SOX stuff.
In case of a TIE,
2: I look at the person who has the most SOX merchandise on.
If that is a TIE,
3: I then ask who is older (older sox fans have dealt with more grief, so they get first dibs).
If that is still a TIE
4: I then resort to SOX trivia, best 2 of 3 gets the tickets.
Mediocrity is always a PENALTY on the SouthSide.

DenverSock
02-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Ketchup not allowed on hotdogs
One has got to have one's Ketchup, Mustard, Sauerkrat, and pickle relish, doesn't one!

spiffie
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I do, when I stand, remove my cap, and stand silently during the playing of our National Anthem. Which is a protocol I am more than happy to adhere to. To me though to remove your cap and place GBA at the same level is disrespectful to the anthem. I remove my hat for our National Anthem and nothing else. I don't run around like a dick burning a flag or something, or scream out "GET TO THE OTHER SONG!" during it, but to me it's just not proper to remove your hat for other songs. Otherwise where does it end? "America the Beautiful"? "God Bless the U.S.A."? Anything by Charlie Daniels or Toby Keith?

Cat Thief
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not going to argue about. I will stand for it, the rest can sit on their asses and think to themselves how contrived it is and how they can't stand it.
Please don't compare God Bless America, a song that has been around forever, and that was taught to us in school with Charlie Daniels and Toby Keith.

itsnotrequired
02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
...but to me it's just not proper to remove your hat for other songs.

:?:

How is removing your hat during a song other than the National Anthem "not proper"? So if I wanted to remove my cap for "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", I would be acting in an improper manner? Who cares? I better not remove my hat to wipe my sweaty brow or the ushers might kick me out.

:dunno:

SOecks
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Oh, trust me I do take a couple of minutes each game to honor this great land. That time is called the playing of our National Anthem. It is played before the game as it always has been. AGAIN, my gripe is with the contrived nature of this new, randomly used "tradition". It is not my national anthem and I don't like it being pushed down my throat.

Baby Fisk
02-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Never EVER just give your tickets to some hoodlum looking people on bikes or with signs that say "Need 2". They are scalpers. Give your tickets ALWAYS to legitimate SOX Fans. How can you tell?

In case of a TIE,
If that is a TIE,
3: I then ask who is older (older sox fans have dealt with more grief, so they get first dibs).
If that is still a TIE

You actually grill people before giving them tickets? :?:

Fan: "I need two."
Hangar: "Who did the Sox play in the 1993 playoffs?"
Fan: "Toronto. Do you have two tickets?"
Hangar: "Who won the 1993 Cy Young award?"
Fan: "Uh... Black Jack. Can I have those tickets now?"
Hangar: "How many games did Black Jack win that year?"
Fan: "Uh...20 or maybe 21. I don't know!"
Hangar: "A-HA! ONLY A TRUE SOX FAN WOULD KNOW THAT BLACK JACK WON 22 GAMES THAT YEAR! GET THE HELL OUT OF MY FACE YOU CUBBY-LOVING BANDWAGONER!
Fan: "But--"
Hangar: "YOUR KIND MAKES ME SICK!"
Fan: [starting to cry] "Please sir, I just wanted two tickets..."
Hangar: "GO TO HELL YUPPIE SCUM!"

SOecks
02-17-2006, 11:58 AM
:?:

How is removing your hat during a song other than the National Anthem "not proper"? So if I wanted to remove my cap for "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", I would be acting in an improper manner? Who cares? I better not remove my hat to wipe my sweaty brow or the ushers might kick me out.

:dunno:

I don't think it's improper to remove your hat whenever you want, but people shouldn't EXPECT people to do that for God Bless America. If you want to do that, more power to you but I don't want people jeering at me when I don't do it. That's all. It was played in NY after 911 but I think the media and teams got a hold of it and it has gotten out of control.

itsnotrequired
02-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think it's improper to remove your hat whenever you want, but people shouldn't EXPECT people to do that for God Bless America. If you want to do that, more power to you but I don't want people jeering at me when I don't do it. That's all. It was played in NY after 911 but I think the media and teams got a hold of it and it has gotten out of control.

Eh, I guess I'm indifferent. Standing up and taking off a hat is such a minor task that if I wore a hat, I would take it off just to avoid any potential headaches and conflicts. Doesn't seem worth it to make a stink about it, IMHO.

But the next time I see someone take off their hat for the opening Sox montage, I'm going to give them an earful!:tongue:

SOecks
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Eh, I guess I'm indifferent. Standing up and taking off a hat is such a minor task that if I wore a hat, I would take it off just to avoid any potential headaches and conflicts. Doesn't seem worth it to make a stink about it, IMHO.

But the next time I see someone take off their hat for the opening Sox montage, I'm going to give them an earful!:tongue:

I know it's not a big deal to do it. I guess it just really annoys me that it's a media driven, forced emotion type display that to me was created for tv audiences to show how patriotic baseball is as america's pastime. That's just my take though.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I know it's not a big deal to do it. I guess it just really annoys me that it's a media driven, forced emotion type display that to me was created for tv audiences to show how patriotic baseball is as america's pastime. That's just my take though.I'm with you. I don't remove my hat during GBA (or I wouldn't if I wore one:cool:). Just as when displaying flags all the others must be lower than the American flag, the anthem is supposed to receive special treatment. It's not special if you do it for other songs.

itsnotrequired
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I know it's not a big deal to do it. I guess it just really annoys me that it's a media driven, forced emotion type display that to me was created for tv audiences to show how patriotic baseball is as america's pastime. That's just my take though.

I agree, it is a bit overdone. Some people really get into it though and rather than get into it with someone, I'll just "grin and bear it". Of course, if each game involved the Pledge of Allegence, a re-enactment of Washington crossing the Deleware and a spoken word piece on Betsy Ross, then even I would be getting annoyed.:cool:

But like ON2, I don't wear a hat anyway. Victory is mine!

maurice
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
To me though to remove your cap and place GBA at the same level is disrespectful to the anthem.

:thumbsup:

It's also objectionable that the league office is trying to force a new "tradition" down the throats of local franchises. National Anthem before the game and Take Me Out during the 7th inning stretch are baseball traditions. God Bless America is redundant, inferior to the other two songs, and completely unnecessary.

SOecks
02-17-2006, 02:35 PM

It's also objectionable that the league office is trying to force a new "tradition" down the throats of local franchises. National Anthem before the game and Take Me Out during the 7th inning stretch are baseball traditions. God Bless America is redundant, inferior to the other two songs, and completely unnecessary.

Exactly. Well played.

Cat Thief
02-17-2006, 02:44 PM

God Bless America is inferior to Take Me Out.

Wow. Well played.

StockdaleForVeep
02-17-2006, 02:46 PM

I dont give a damn on peoples opinions, i use ketchup on my dogs

TaylorStSox
02-17-2006, 02:48 PM

In case of a TIE,
If that is a TIE,
If that is still a TIE

Are you saying that I'm not a real Sox fan because I choose not dress like a 12 year old who still dreams of making it to the big leagues?

DenverSock
02-18-2006, 10:43 PM

Hangar: "A-HA! ONLY A TRUE SOX FAN WOULD KNOW THAT BLACK JACK WON 22 GAMES THAT YEAR! GET THE HELL OUT OF MY FACE YOU CUBBY-LOVING BANDWAGONER!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

StockdaleForVeep
02-18-2006, 11:58 PM

Ha, im glad i never had to buy tix off hangar, next thing i know id have to spell Pierzynski backwards and say how much money eddie cicotte was supposed to get for his 30 win bonus and how much it would be today by standard inflation

itsnotrequired
02-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Ha, im glad i never had to buy tix off hangar, next thing i know id have to spell Pierzynski backwards and say how much money eddie cicotte was supposed to get for his 30 win bonus and how much it would be today by standard inflation

Is that demand pull, cost push or built-in inflation?:redneck

SoxSideIrish
02-19-2006, 02:15 AM

I think I just wet myself. :rolling:

Monty Python anyone?

DenverSock
02-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Is that demand pull, cost push or built-in inflation?:redneck

I'm sure that standard use of the CPI for the years it was calculated, plus backward extrapolation would suffice.

:D: :D:

pauliemyhero14
02-24-2006, 07:31 AM
respects others around u

P.S. unless if their cubs fans..... kick their ass

AZChiSoxFan
02-24-2006, 10:09 AM

TOTALLY CLASSIC!!!!

Ragator43
02-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Always wear your White Sox gear. During a special interleague series - make sure you wear World Series Championship gear.

Cubs or Astros?? or both??

MisterB
02-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I think I just wet myself. :rolling:

Monty Python anyone?

As in:

"YOUR KIND REALLY MAKES ME PUKE, YOU VACUOUS, TOFFEE-NOSED, MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!"

Yeah. :D:

Ragator43
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Our season tix in 2003 were next to a couple with a baby. They brought him to every game and left at a reasonable hour. The kid was very well behaved and never caused a problem.

The chances of him getting injured by a batted ball <<< the chances of him getting injured in the car on the drive to or from the park.

My stats book last semester said that the odds of getting hit by a ball at a game are 300,000 to 1. People really don't have to worry about it as much as they think.

Bobbo35
02-28-2006, 07:19 AM
If you're in the 3rd seat of a row, go out the way that has 2 seats between you and the aisle, not 26 seats.

Thats a big one. Drives me nuts.

Bobbo35
02-28-2006, 07:32 AM
I've been going to Sox games for years and have never had anyone say anything to me about putting ketchup on a dog.

It's a good thing to, because of someone said anything to me, and were not joking of course, they would gets a KnuckleSamich!!!:D:

I am with you there too. Although at Sox games the only dog I am buying is a polish w/onions and I am loading that thing up with ketchup. The only only thing I like mustard for is corned beef.

Bobbo35
02-28-2006, 07:38 AM
I couldn't agree more. Don't boo your own team. A bush league play by the opposition, Torii Hunter, the umps, yes, but not your own team.

It's also acceptable to boo Ozzie if he's coming in to remove a starter who's thrown a great game... that happened a couple of times last year... but those boos should quickly revert to cheers and an ovation if warranted.

There's nothing I hate worse, though, than some knucklehead who thinks he knows everything standing up and blasting one of our relievers or someone who strikes out or makes an error. All you're doing is flaunting your ignorance and angering REAL fans. Groan? Maybe. Boo? Never.

Only Northsiders do that. Completely classless!!!

SoxFan78
02-28-2006, 08:49 AM
If you realize you are in the wrong section, dont walk across every seat in the row to get to your section. Yes I have seen this happen.

VenturaSoxFan23
02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
If you realize you are in the wrong section, dont walk across every seat in the row to get to your section. Yes I have seen this happen.

Sox Quiz #32. It is 1 hour before game time. You are in Section 532. You discover your tickets say 542. Do you:
a) Weave your way through the empty rows to get to your seat,
b) Go back out onto the concourse and go that way,
c) Climb all over rows of people loaded down with pop, beer, nachos, kids waving pennants, etc to get to your seat, or
d) None of the Above.

It's a trick question. Since it's 1 hour before game time, ushers are stationed at every entrance to check tickets. Ushers tend to direct you to your correct entrance. Thanks for playing.

wsoxgalkelly
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Make sure when the coach comes out to take the opposing team pitcher out in the middle of the inning, that you do wave your arms and sing- "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, GOODBYE!

DenverSock
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Make sure when the coach comes out to take the opposing team pitcher out in the middle of the inning, that you do wave your arms and sing- "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, GOODBYE!

One should sing "Na-na-na....." when one of the Sox hits a home run in late innings. It's saying goodbye to the ball.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
But not when it's the 8th inning and said pitcher has been shutting the Sox down for the whole game. In those cases, we sound like morons. "Na na, hey hey" should be reserved for pitchers who are getting rocked.

mweflen
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
1. Stand, remove cap, and SING during the anthem (i have a hard time seeing how people are such sticklers for hats, but not for actually singing the damn song...)

2. Don't swear, period. Women and children are all around. Would you talk to your mother like that?

3. Don't throw home run balls back on the field (people who do this should be tossed).

4. Try to enter and exit your seat between plays or between innings

5. Don't drink to outrageous excess (i.e. falling down drunk)

PS - booing home players is okay if they're actually dogging it. If they're putting in their best effort, though, no boos, just groans, as previously mentioned (Timo, first half Viz, and Willie got many a groan from me...)

chisox
03-05-2006, 11:36 PM
NO swearing? **** that, I don't want this to turn into Angel Stadium, that place sucks. Otherwise, your rules are spot on.

chisox
03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
The only other rule I'd like to contribute is that if there's a foul ball, fight tooth and nail to catch it–but then give it to the kid sitting closest to you.

Chisox003
03-05-2006, 11:50 PM
The only other rule I'd like to contribute is that if there's a foul ball, fight tooth and nail to catch it–but then give it to the kid sitting closest to you.
And make sure you drop as many F-Bombs as possible while going for it, right?

Ron Karkovice
03-06-2006, 12:34 AM
And make sure you drop as many F-Bombs as possible while going for it, right?

Quit making fun of Tony Phillips!

Soxfanspcu11
03-06-2006, 12:39 AM
1. Stand, remove cap, and SING during the anthem (i have a hard time seeing how people are such sticklers for hats, but not for actually singing the damn song...)

I know MANY people who find it incredibly offensive to sing along with the national anthem. I agree that you should stand and be respective, but singing along is viewed as disrespectful by many.