PDA

View Full Version : Sick of McCarthy Talk...but he's great.

bigsoxfan420
02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Disclaimer....I no way do I mean to put down Brandon....

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of the "controversy" about McCarthy not starting the 2006 in the five man rotation. It seems every time I see an article is has something about him being "the odd-man-out" or something else like that. Maybe it's because there is nothing else for the media to talk about when it comes to the Sox and they make this small issue a "controversy".

I think McCarthy has some great potential, but he's still extremely young and has a lot of developing to do, at least in terms of what it takes to be a major leauger. If you look at the rest of the rotation what else can be done with him. Is this just some sort of way to get the trade juices flowing, cause if that's the case...they're friggin nuts.

What does everyone else think?

sox1970
02-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't think there is much of a controversy. It's well established he'll be pitching out of the bullpen this season until somebody gets hurt, traded, or doesn't perform.

I have no doubt he's ready to excel at the big league level, but the Sox are trying to repeat, and they want to go with established big league starters.

I do think something will happen sooner or later, and he'll end up with 10-15 starts.

scottjanssens
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
What does everyone else think?

I think if you're sick of McCarthy talk it's a bit odd to start a thread talking about McCarthy.

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I think if you're sick of McCarthy talk it's a bit odd to start a thread talking about McCarthy.

hahaha, well played, sir or madam...well played.

Chicken Dinner
02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
How can you be sick of too much quality starting pitching?? :rolleyes:

Tekijawa
02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
How can you be sick of too much quality starting pitching?? :rolleyes:

If you play for Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, or Minnesota I can think of 19 reasons each, why you'd be sick of it!

IlliniSox4Life
02-14-2006, 02:09 PM
There isn't much controversy. We have 4 aces and Javier and Brandon. They both have shown they can be brilliant pitchers. However Javier has more experience. He gets the nod for that reason. However Brandon will get his starts. The Sox will be more likely to give a guy a day off if he isn't feeling 100% because they have McCarthy, who would be starting on almost any other team ready to go.

my5thbench
02-14-2006, 02:09 PM
six quality starters is a great problem to have....Contreas is still the big ques-

tion, can the Sox sign him? After the second half he had in '05, he could be

as good a pitcher as there is in the league this year then someone is going to

have to pay him.....this "controversy" could nag at us all year long

IlliniSox4Life
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
If you play for Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, or Minnesota I can think of 19 reasons each, why you'd be sick of it! You forgot the 3, 5, and 4 reasons each for Boston, Los Angeles of Anaheim, and Houston.

soxfan13
02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
I think he might be trying to ask how did brandon become such a superstar after only 12 games 10 starts and a 3-2 record? Yes, he does show great potential but as far as being a savior and untouchable he still has a while to go to prove that. Dont forget Until last year Garland was 46-51 and I can pretty much guarantee that most members on this board would have traded Garland a few years ago for a top notch player.

kevin57
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I think the BMac story is being raised because there's just not a whole lot of stuff to be "debated" concerning the White Sox. Bottom line with the media: they're salesmen. They sell news, and to grab people's interest nowadays, they have to often create/fabricate "controversy."

Even on this board, about the only "?" is whether the Sox need another lefty in the pen.

Times are good, folks.

soxinem1
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
There isn't much controversy. We have 4 aces and Javier and Brandon. They both have shown they can be brilliant pitchers. However Javier has more experience. He gets the nod for that reason. However Brandon will get his starts. The Sox will be more likely to give a guy a day off if he isn't feeling 100% because they have McCarthy, who would be starting on almost any other team ready to go.

I think Vasquez also gets the nod because of the $11 million plus he's due each of the next couple years and the fact that they traded for him to start, not be an expensive mop up guy.

But we need to beware of getting all gaga over pitchers who have not really proven themselves. Remember Kip Wells, Wilson Alvarez, and Juan Cruz when they were first brought up. A full ML season can humble a lot of people in a hurry. Beware...

soxfan13
02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
"But we need to beware of getting all gaga over pitchers who have not really proven themselves. Remember Kip Wells, Wilson Alvarez, and Juan Cruz when they were first brought up. A full ML season can humble a lot of people in a hurry. Beware..."

Very nicely said Soxinem1

SoxFan76
02-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I think the Fingernails on a blackboard story is being raised because there's just not a whole lot of stuff to be "debated" concerning the White Sox. Bottom line with the media: they're salesmen. They sell news, and to grab people's interest nowadays, they have to often create/fabricate "controversy."

Even on this board, about the only "?" is whether the Sox need another lefty in the pen.

Times are good, folks.

:tongue: That never gets old. I love it.

lostletters
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think there is any contreversy. Remember Buerhle spent time in the bullpen before he became a starter too. It is easier to work issues out as a pitcher in the bullpen as a long reliever then as a starter for a high pressure team (which the white sox are right now being WS champs). Especially considering he is still a rookie. I think the bullpen spot allows him to develop pitches and develop as a player. I do not think Buerhle would have developed to be as dominant a pitcher if not for that bullpen time, and I think McCarthy could easily be as dominating as Black-Jack in his prime with some bullpen time. I think the more experience and more time he has to perfect pitches, the better he will be.

I think the only contreversy is the one the press is making up.