PDA

View Full Version : Unearned Runs Article, Buehrle mentioned.

KRS1
02-13-2006, 02:16 PM
http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/02/a_look_at_unear.php

Apparently, Mark had the fourth highest percentage of unearned runs scored against in the majors(.172). Good article that focuses on pitcher types,fb/gb, and how that factors into runs scored.

Stoky44
02-13-2006, 02:43 PM
This kind of goes against the thinking that fielders prefer fast working pitchers and that they play the field better because they are always on their toes.

Edit: After reading the article, I get the point that they are saying ground ball pitchers will have more errors behind them. I agree with the logic. This is just another baseball stat that really means nothing. I bet this will be a closing number on ESPN before the all star break.

Ol' No. 2
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This kind of goes against the thinking that fielders prefer fast working pitchers and that they play the field better because they are always on their toes.No it doesn't. Read the article.

soxinem1
02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
This kind of goes against the thinking that fielders prefer fast working pitchers and that they play the field better because they are always on their toes.

Not really. The ground ball pitchers like Buehrle give their INF more opportunities, while a slower working flyball pitcher like Garcia gives them fewer. With the range displayed by the 2005 White Sox OF, this comes as no suprise.

But some of these stats are over analized. Garland was always was among the league leaders in GIDP's induced, but he allowed a lot of baserunners pre-2005 and his FB/GB ratio is not that big, honestly. Same with Buehrle. I think they both have a 1.25 GBO/FBO career ratio. Not bad, but not lopsided like Derek Lowe or Billy Swift used to be with the Mariners.

So what do all these stats mean? Not much if you ask me, unless it means a repeat World Championship!!

Stoky44
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
No it doesn't. Read the article.

I prematurely posted on this thread without reading the article. I was in a hurry and typed my initial thoughts. I know you don't judge an article based off of one statement. My bad.:redface:

santo=dorf
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Not really. The ground ball pitchers like Beurhle give their INF more opportunities, while a slower working flyball pitcher like Garcia gives them fewer. With the range displayed by the 2005 White Sox OF, this comes as no suprise.

But some of these stats are over analized. Garland was always was among the league leaders in GIDP's induced, but he allowed a lot of baserunners pre-2005 and his FB/GB ratio is not that big, honestly. Same with Buerhle. I think they both have a 1.25 GBO/FBO career ratio. Not bad, but not lopsided like Derek Lowe or Billy Swift used to be with the Mariners.

So what do all these stats mean? Not much if you ask me, unless it means a repeat World Championship!!

Garcia is not a flyball pitcher.

Stoky44
02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Not really. The ground ball pitchers like Buehrle give their INF more opportunities, while a slower working flyball pitcher like Garcia gives them fewer. With the range displayed by the 2005 White Sox OF, this comes as no suprise.

Slower does not equal flyball pitcher.

AZChiSoxFan
02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, but the real question is how does all of this affect Buehrle's Park adjusted VORP factor?

SoxSpeed22
02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Since Buehrle is a finesse pitcher who's not a huge strikeout guy and since he works fast, hitters know to attack him early. So he's not the type who can work around bad defense.

soxinem1
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM

You are right, I was actually thinking of Contreras at the time. My goof.

KRS1
02-13-2006, 10:56 PM

You are correct, before he came to the Cell I would disagree vehemently, but since he started throwing his fastball with a lot more movement and better location he has become quite a well-rounded pitcher. At times last year when he would vary between 89-92 on that sinker and toss in a hard 2-seamer, he was awfully studly at getting gb's.