PDA

View Full Version : Detroit writer fears the White Sox

SoLongFrank
02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPORTS0104/602130329/1129
Mentions Thome as a huge addition to the USCF & defines Vazquez as a No 2-3 on most other teams but a 4-5 with the White Sox.

N Siders won't like what he has to say about their being headed in the wrong direction. Nothing wrong with the moves they made but nothing really to convince they'll contend either. I agree.

Not much to say about Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez, & Sosa either. Probably the saddest story of the 3 is Gonzalez. I've never heard he was juice & when he was at his best I marveled when I got to see him play.

Finally, it's hard to find any resemblance to fiscal responsibility in the Majors but when you look at the contracts it doesn't look like any team will be signing a $100 mil or larger deal with a player any time soon.

chisox06
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Hmm so it seems were no longer "Under the Radar?"

Hangar18
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPORTS0104/602130329/1129
Mentions Thome as a huge addition to the USCF & defines Vazquez as a No 2-3 on most other teams but a 4-5 with the White Sox.

N Siders won't like what he has to say about their being headed in the wrong direction. Nothing wrong with the moves they made but nothing really to convince they'll contend either. I agree.

I agree that if Thome is healthy, he will come up HUGE for the SOX.
I think that other team adding Pierre is going to do wonders for them unfortuneately. Still cant believe the Marlins made this deal. Idiots.

SoxFan76
02-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I think that other team adding Pierre is going to do wonders for them unfortuneately. Still cant believe the Marlins made this deal. Idiots.

They added a leadoff hitter to an already above average offense. However, in the process they weakened their defense significantly. And if the last few years has taught baseball fans anything, it's that defense is a big part of the game.

(and I'm not just referring to the White Sox)

SoLongFrank
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm confident Thome will avoid the injury bug. Our bench figures to be:
Widger, Ozuna, Borchard, Mak, & possibly Gload. Borchard is the key. If he has a good spring & impresses Ozzie then Oz won't hesitate to use him as a a part-time backup at DH for Thome. Especially when a RHB looks to be the better advantage.

SoxSpeed22
02-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Hopefully, Ozzie uses more players overall this time. (Not because of injury *knock on wood*) Because amphatemines are being tested so players tire easier. If Owens, Gload, Borchard, Mak and the new guys in the pen can provide that serviceable depth, then the Sox can pass 100 wins.

TomBradley72
02-13-2006, 03:49 PM

When your DP combo is some mix of Perez/Cedeno/Hairston/Walker and your corner OF's are Murton/Jones....not even Pierre can help you....

Jerome
02-13-2006, 05:34 PM
When your DP combo is some mix of Perez/Cedeno/Hairston/Walker and your corner OF's are Murton/Jones....not even Pierre can help you....

I think that you could do a lot worse than Walker / Hairston at 2B. They're foolish though to expect too much from Cedeno. But I think the Cubs IF will be fine, especially being so good at the corners. That is if Dusty isn't a moron and doesn't give extended time to Perez. And the Cubs OF is weak, they might not get 30 homers all total.

1951Campbell
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Frankly, there's a lot of teams in the AL the Tigers have to fear.

samram
02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Frankly, there's a lot of teams in the AL the Tigers have to fear.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Usually, it's the teams at the top who have to fear other teams. The Tigers should fear, well, everyone, except maybe the Royals.

PaulDrake
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
OK, so if you live in Chicago, it's nice the White Sox won the World Series for the first time since 1918.

Doesn't anybody edit anymore?

Fenway
02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
If I was a Detroit writer I would fear the Tigers

TDog
02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Hopefully, Ozzie uses more players overall this time. (Not because of injury *knock on wood*) ....

Many people around here complained that Ozzie used too many players overall last year.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Yes, trading a $6m/yr guy in his walk year whose average recently dropped 50 points (50!) for three solid pitching prospects doesn't make much sense.

SoLongFrank
02-14-2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_4456110,00.html
WHITE SOX off-season grade: A, CLE: D, DET: C-, KAN: C, MIN: B

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-baseball14feb14,1,1631781.story?coll=la-headlines-sports
Interesting take on JR at winter mtgs.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=152613
Rozner basically says the cubs have a shot because the Cards & Astros didn't do anything to improve.

FWIW, I agree. The cubs paid to high a price for Pierre in the midst of the Marlin firesale.

MiamiSpartan
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM

The Marlins made this deal just to shed salaries. Pierre, as good as he was, could be very inconsistant throughout the long season...