PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Might Pack It In

havelj
02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
"Sammy doesn't think of himself as someone who has to beg for a spot on a big league roster...Sammy wants to get to 600 home runs, but he's not willing to humiliate himself to keep playing. He feels that the lack of interest in his services this winter constitutes a humiliation," added the source."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2328640

PKalltheway
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Please...you'll be doing all of baseball and its fans a favor by retiring Sosa.

Chisox003
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
"Sammy doesn't think of himself as someone who has to beg for a spot on a big league roster...Sammy wants to get to 600 home runs, but he's not willing to humiliate himself to keep playing. He feels that the lack of interest in his services this winter constitutes a humiliation"
Before I got to "added the source," I thought this was Sammy himself saying this. Read it as if he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, it makes it that much funnier.

Not that it would surprise Chisox003, he's just saying :cool:

Viva Medias B's
02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
According to ESPN, Sammy Sosa is considering (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2328640) retirement. He evidently feels humiliated that he's only getting the non-guaranteed offer from the Nationals. Poor baby!

EDIT: Oops! I didn't realize there was a thread on this in Talking Baseball. I thought this story was What's the Score? material.

beckett21
02-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Before I got to "added the source," I thought this was Sammy himself saying this. Read it as if he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, it makes it that much funnier.

Not that it would surprise Chisox003, he's just saying :cool:

Rickey Henderson was the king of talking about himself in the third person, followed closely by Jimmy of 'Seinfeld' fame. :D:

The Critic
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
The Caribbean Bambino????
:kneeslap: :rolling:

Viva Medias B's
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Showboat Sham-ME* egotistical right up to the end in feeling "humiliated" over only getting the Nationals' non-guaranteed offer. What a shock!

chisoxfanatic
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
"Sammy doesn't think of himself as someone who has to beg for a spot on a big league roster...Sammy wants to get to 600 home runs, but he's not willing to humiliate himself to keep playing. He feels that the lack of interest in his services this winter constitutes a humiliation," added the source."

Hasn't he humilliated himself enough?

chisoxmike
02-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Hasn't he humilliated himself enough?
:shammy
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin!

illinibk
02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I thought the same thing too, since it didn't seem like it would really be out of character for him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Please, don't leave Sammy! Stick around and become the all time leader in strike outs, only to cement your place in baseball history as the biggest fraud ever.

monkeypants
02-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Part of me never wants to see or hear from this jackhole ever again.
But another part of me wants to see him stick around for a little while longer and stink up the joint and let everyone else in the county question his previous inflated numbers.
Oh how I loathe him.

soxfan43
02-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Please retire shammy. i don't want the chance of big frank having his hall of fame day tainted by maybe going in the same year as shammy.

RadioheadRocks
02-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Before I got to "added the source," I thought this was Sammy himself saying this. Read it as if he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, it makes it that much funnier :cool:

That would be funny, but of course if it really was him, wouldn't we need an interpreter? Or has he suddenly and miraculously rediscovered the English language? :cool:

Cuck the Fubs
02-13-2006, 01:54 AM
humiliation?????

Oh right, the corked bat, Flintstone vitamins, and the I no speak english at the roids hearing wasn't enough???

Hang em' up Shammy

SOXSINCE'70
02-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Rickey Henderson was the king of talking about himself in the third person, followed closely by Jimmy of 'Seinfeld' fame. :D:

Anna Benson's pretty good at it as well.:D:

veeter
02-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Great comments by everyone. I hope he does stick around, to play himself off the team, right in front of America.

TomBradley72
02-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I was really looking forward to the "RFK Stadium is my new house...." speech....

cheeses_h_rice
02-13-2006, 10:12 AM
AWTHAT'SASHAME.

SOXPHILE
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
humiliation?????

Oh right, the corked bat, Flintstone vitamins, and the I no speak english at the roids hearing wasn't enough???

Hang em' up Shammy

Don't forget that whole "beating the wife" thing. My how the mighty have fallen. Hey, remember that guy that held up that sign which read "Sammy Sosa is still my hero" the night after he was caught with the corked bat ? One of the 39,000 idiots who gave him a standing ovation as he ran out to right field that night ? I wonder what he thinks of all this.

soxfan13
02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
I feel sooooo bad!!!!!

34 Inch Stick
02-13-2006, 10:53 AM
There is no way in the world that Sammy will turn down the opportunity to hit 600 HR. It is great to be able to watch a man's arrogance result in his embarrassment.

cheeses_h_rice
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Poor Shamster is probably desperately searching for his mojo:

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/wip/24/images/steroids.jpg

Hangar18
02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
According to ESPN, Sammy Sosa is considering (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2328640) retirement. He evidently feels humiliated that he's only getting the non-guaranteed offer from the Nationals. Poor baby!

Imagine how HUMILIATED the Baltimore Orioles are, trading for him in the first place. IDIOTS.

TaylorStSox
02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Imagine how HUMILIATED the Baltimore Orioles are, trading for him in the first place. IDIOTS.

The Cubs paid most of his salary. It was low risk/high reward for them.

Hangar18
02-13-2006, 12:51 PM

yes, you are correct. But even then, it just wasnt worth it for them, the Cubs knew he was a bust without his "flinstones vitamins", to think the Orioles even thought he had a 1% chance or regaining his previous form was ludicrous. He hit exactly where I said he would hit, the AL is a way tougher league.......

skottyj242
02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
I heard Sammy's weighing offers to go play in the CFL.

Stoky44
02-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I hope: HE GONE! There are not too many athletes I hate more than him. If he does come back, I wish he would get cut or be a bench player who hits 200avg, 1 hr, and about 7rbi in 100abs. I love seeing this guy fall flat on his face, the only thing that would be better if he is caught as using roids, gets a life time ban from mlb, loses all his money, and his wife takes revenge and kicks his ass. I hate that wife beating *******. He was one of the fakest people in the world, him and his big smile putting on a front for people. But those who watched closely his true colors would show, even during his most popular days of the late 90's.

Edit: I would like to see him take one of those bunny hops after what he thinks is a hr. Then, as he lands he dislocates his knee and tears everything, while the LF makes a catch, 20 feet in front of the fence.

Madvora
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I would actually love to see him out there again, just to see him humiliate himself.
It would be much better having him bat about .034 for the 1st month of the season, booed continuously by his hometown fans and then just be thrown to the side of the road.

santo=dorf
02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I would much rather see "Washington designates OF Sammy Sosa for assignment" than "Former Cubs OF Sammy Sosa retires" across the ESPN scroll.

Hitmen77
02-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Remember when Sox fans were the only people who saw that Sosa was an overrated phony? Up 'til 2004, everyone else was stupidly worshiping him except us. Remember Cub fans boasting that they had Sosa and we didn't?

Amazing how quickly he went from an untouchable hero to a selfish fraud that no one wants. All we Sox fans can say is "Told you so!"

Madvora
02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Remember when Sox fans were the only people who saw that Sosa was an overrated phony? Up 'til 2004, everyone else was stupidly worshiping him except us. Remember Cub fans boasting that they had Sosa and we didn't?

Amazing how quickly he went from an untouchable hero to a selfish fraud that no one wants. All we Sox fans can say is "Told you so!"
I'd love to hear some candid comments by the MLB general managers about what they really think of Sammy Sosa. It's not going to be in the press, but I can assure you that so many of them have brought up the idea of him losing everything due to steroids.

Jjav829
02-13-2006, 03:34 PM
I can't wait until the day he comes out with a book admitting to taking steroids, but claiming that he didn't fully understand what they were because of the language barrier. :rolleyes:

You just he is egomaniacal enough to do it for the money.

Ol' No. 2
02-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I can't wait until the day he comes out with a book admitting to taking steroids, but claiming that he didn't fully understand what they were because of the language barrier. :rolleyes:

You just he is egomaniacal enough to do it for the money.
:nandrolone I never took illegal asteroids.

Viva Medias B's
02-13-2006, 07:45 PM
If Sosa retires, I fear that sports talk radio will be filled with "Should Sammy Sosa be inducted in the Hall of Fame?" talk.

csufsoxfan
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
so long slammin sammy if you do retire, what he should do is open a gym for those dominican kids so they can get an early start and build muscle and power the right way

thomas35forever
02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Please, Sammy. Save your humiliation for something other than baseball. Retire now.

slavko
02-13-2006, 08:46 PM

More like low risk, low reward. Especially if an Oriole scout had seen him play in 2004.

TheDarkGundam
02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
If Sosa retires, I fear that sports talk radio will be filled with "Should Sammy Sosa be inducted in the Hall of Fame?" talk.
Not to mention that WSI will be filled with Sammy Sosa appreciation threads.
:redneck

The Critic
02-13-2006, 08:51 PM

I'm not surprised.
They embraced him as a flock ( of sheep ), defended him as a flock, and turned on him as a flock.
Now most of them claim to have never liked him in the first place. Goofy.

thomas35forever
02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Not to mention that WSI will be filled with Sammy Sosa appreciation threads.

Don't you mean deppreciation threads?

SOXPHILE
02-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Congratulations to Mark Gonzales of the Cubune. He was on Chicago Tribune Live tonight, and within the matter of just a few seconds, and 2 sentences, he managed to say something REALLY dumb, and then say something smart. He was asked if, since he has a vote, would he vote for Sosa when he's eligible for the HOF. His answer was "Yes", because even though he played in the steroid era, and is widely suspected -(it's a forgone conclusion for us Sox fans and any person with half a brain)-of using steroids and HGH, you have to "blame the era, not the player, and he put up some monster numbers" when he was at his..ahem...shall we say, full blown self ? Then, he sort of redeemed himself when he said he would also vote for Frank Thomas when he is eligible too. At least he got 1 out of 2 right.:rolleyes: Brian Hanley, who was also there, then went on to say you defiantly have to vote for Thomas, because of the 7 straight years when he put up incredible numbers, and everyone knows he WASN'T getting artificial help. Basically, preaching to the choir to us WSIers and all Sox fans. Good to hear Thomas get a little more of what is rare, much deserved due from the Chicago media.

ChiSoxLifer
02-14-2006, 02:51 AM
If you think about it, over a full season his numbers would be comparable to Jacques Jones. Sounds like Hendry is on the phone right now.

jdm2662
02-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Yes, I got a kick out of it, too. We Sox fans were just jealous because they had Sosa and we didn't. He who laughs last, laughs best. :D:

I hope Sosa comes back to further embarass himself.

NardiWasHere
02-14-2006, 09:56 AM

How is it possible for one to be humiliated when one has no shame?

Good Riddance:bandance:

downstairs
02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
yes, you are correct. But even then, it just wasnt worth it for them, the Cubs knew he was a bust without his "flinstones vitamins", to think the Orioles even thought he had a 1% chance or regaining his previous form was ludicrous. He hit exactly where I said he would hit, the AL is a way tougher league.......

Nah... his numbers were fine for the deal they struck... sending Jerry Harriston, Jr... and having the Cubs pay his salary. The fools in this deal were the Cubs.

Nevertheless, I kind of want him to stick around out of pride so that it becomes painfully clear to every single writer and HOF voter what a fraud he was.

Hangar18
02-14-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm not surprised.
They embraced him as a flock ( of sheep ), defended him as a flock, and turned on him as a flock.

Post of The Week .....................defines cub fans 100%

mccoydp
02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Please, please Sham-me....

Do us ALL a favor and retire.

Pretty please?:redneck

Foulke You
02-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm not surprised.
Excellent post. I'm amazed how many Cub fans I run into now that claim that they never liked the guy and wanted to get rid of him. It's funny, I remember the same group of people saying I was just jealous of his amazing feats in a Cub uniform because he was once our player.

I was calling out Sosa as a steroid abuser since the very beginning of his homerun binge in '98 and took TONS of flak for it from every Cub fan I was ever unfortunate enough to run into. The same sheep who bowed to him when he sprinted to right field every game are the same tools who now shrug their shoulders and claim they never supported him. It does help to laugh last on the Sosa issue because I remind them of their Sosa worship every chance I get.:cool:

bigfoot
02-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I'd love to hear some candid comments by the MLB general managers about what they really think of Sammy Sosa. It's not going to be in the press, but I can assure you that so many of them have brought up the idea of him losing everything due to steroids.

I seem to recall a analyst(Stone, maybe), with the critique of Sosa that he had "slider" bat speed at his best. He could hit a hangin' slider a long way with his "improved eyesight" and "enhanced bat contents". Of course that was pre-Balco and pre-helmet whacked. Since then, the Mendoza Line has in danger of another candidate.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, Sosa just turned down the Nats offer

WASHINGTON -- Outfielder Sammy Sosa has rejected the one-year, $500,000 non-guaranteed Major League offer from the Nationals, according to general manager Jim Bowden in an e-mail to MLB.com.

Sosa wanted at least $1 million to sign with the team, but Bowden was not willing to increase the offer. The Nationals originally had offered Sosa a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060215&content_id=1311713&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

Jerko
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Sosa can't retire OR turn down the Nats offer. How else are the Cubs gonna get Soriano?

chisoxmike
02-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Surprised nobody has posted this...seems like its about to happen!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2332063

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

dakuda
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I found this quote from his agent amusing
"He's been a real man about it, a big man, about the way he has thought this thing through. He's approached this in a very mature way, not like a guy who just won't let it go."

Mostly, just the first 10 words. He's a gladiator, not a man. Just ask him, he needs the ego stroked.

MiamiSpartan
02-15-2006, 10:21 PM
He is such an idiot. He hit 14 freakin' home runs last year and he wants a garanteed contract? What crack is he smoking? He just needs to go away.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-16-2006, 01:26 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5335312

Outfielder Sammy Sosa is likely to retire after concluding that he no longer can achieve his desired level of performance, according to his longtime agent, Tom Reich.

The "odds are" that he will not play again, Reich told FOXSports.com.

Reich said MLB's harsher drug-testing program had no bearing on Sosa's decision. (Insert liar icon here).

monkeypants
02-16-2006, 01:28 AM
It's amazing there are still guys like this that defend Sosa.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5334552

Soxfanspcu11
02-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm not surprised.

I can not find ONE flub fan that says that they EVER liked Sosa! I'm DEAD serious! Apparently NONE of them were the ones chanting his name in hysterics during the '98 home run chase.

And this "player" better not EVER get into the hall. Here we have a guy that was skinny as Screetch when he came up, did nothing impressive, then BALLOONED to a muscle bound freak and went on a tear and hitting illegal homeruns.

Then the FIRST year after serious steroid testing, he shrinks back down, apparently on the Atkins diet:rolleyes: , and STILL can't hit his weight with only 14 homeruns. He looked like a single A player at the plate.

This guy is EVERYTHING thats wrong with baseball. To me, Marris's record still stands and it can't be soon enough that these guys go away. Thanks a bunch for your "contributions" to baseball *******s!

What an insult to the Hall if this piece of **** somehow gets in!!!

1951Campbell
02-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Ken Rosenthal: "Odds are" Sosa will retire.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5335312

Dan Mega
02-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I can't find a Flubs fan that says they ever liked Sosa either. My how the flock has turned.

Anyone else ever tell you Sosa was twice the player that the Big Hurt ever was?

Unfortunetly, this tool will still probably make the hall of fame- wearing a Cubs uniform.

Hitmen77
02-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I can not find ONE flub fan that says that they EVER liked Sosa! I'm DEAD serious! Apparently NONE of them were the ones chanting his name in hysterics during the '98 home run chase....

It amazed me how he got away with totally showboating his HRs for years because all these idiot Cub fans and media types were so in love with this fraud. And what about all those Flub fans who were shooting their mouths off for years about how they had Sosa and the Sox didn't. Where are these people now?

Regarding this story about him retiring, I find it hard to believe that he would not try to scrape together 16 more HRs to make it to 600. I say we haven't seen the last of Shammy.

jdm2662
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I know about two Cub fans that weren't blinded by his BS. The rest were the same ol, your just jealous, etc. I got a huge kick out of it after the 2004 season. Every Cub fan turned against him and finally realized who he really was. I flat out said it's you and all the Cub fans fault for making him your hero, and praising him on how great he is. I still get a kick out of it. Go away you fraud.

Steelrod
02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Goodbye Sammy,
When we think of you, guess what we'll be thinking of?

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
His agent's now saying the same thing: Inklay (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060216/sp_nm/baseball_sosa_dc) NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sammy Sosa, one of baseball's greatest sluggers, is quitting the game rather than risk embarrassing himself on the field, his agent said on Thursday.Too late.

cheeses_h_rice
02-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Goodbye Sammy,
When we think of you, guess what we'll be thinking of?
http://www.herts.police.uk/images/drugs/steroids.jpg

ode to veeck
02-16-2006, 05:42 PM
the nats refused to pay in in brown paper bags full of small unmarked bills

TheDarkGundam
02-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I actually know 2 cub fans who still like Sosa. I actually had an argument with one of them today about how Frank deserves to get in the hall before Sosa (it actually started with the cub fan asking me who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame more, Sandberg or Santo. I responded: "Frank Thomas")

It's a shame he had to have some BS injury when the Orioles played the Sox here last year. I would've loved to see the reception he would've gotten.

My biggest regret is that i've had the misfortune of sharing a first name with him.

santo=dorf
02-16-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.herts.police.uk/images/drugs/steroids.jpg
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/c/unbranded-captain-morgan-rum-12x-5cl-mini.jpghttp://www.guidesontario.org/resources/onlineresources/Real%20Cork%204.JPG

kevin57
02-17-2006, 12:09 AM
It's about the $$$, don't kid yourself. I heard several years ago how Hendry was upset about the way Sosa approached contract negotiations with the Cubs. In the words of the report, Hendry, being a WASP, is turned off by Sammy's very explicit focus on money in contract negotiations. Sammy, on the other hand, equates money with respect/validation.

The Nats, therefore, are disrespecting him with non-guaranteed terms.

Flight #24
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Congratulations to Mark Gonzales of the Cubune. He was on Chicago Tribune Live tonight, and within the matter of just a few seconds, and 2 sentences, he managed to say something REALLY dumb, and then say something smart. He was asked if, since he has a vote, would he vote for Sosa when he's eligible for the HOF. His answer was "Yes", because even though he played in the steroid era, and is widely suspected -(it's a forgone conclusion for us Sox fans and any person with half a brain)-of using steroids and HGH, you have to "blame the era, not the player, and he put up some monster numbers" when he was at his..ahem...shall we say, full blown self ? Then, he sort of redeemed himself when he said he would also vote for Frank Thomas when he is eligible too. At least he got 1 out of 2 right.:rolleyes: Brian Hanley, who was also there, then went on to say you defiantly have to vote for Thomas, because of the 7 straight years when he put up incredible numbers, and everyone knows he WASN'T getting artificial help. Basically, preaching to the choir to us WSIers and all Sox fans. Good to hear Thomas get a little more of what is rare, much deserved due from the Chicago media.

That argument (also espoused by Peter Gammons on ESPN in reference to McGwire pending HOF eligibility) is 100% BS. The best explanation for that I've seen is this: "You say because it wasn't officially illegal in baseball that you can't penalize the player for it. Well, baseball's rules don't explicitly forbid all kinds of behaviour, like spiking the visiting team's water cooler to similarly gain a competitive advantage. So I guess if one were to do that, that'd be OK too? "

Steroids were illegal but not officially banned by baseball. In-game murder is I'm guessing not explicitly banned by baseball, but I have to think that if a player pulled a gun and slaughtered the visiting team, that MIGHT be a bannable offense, no?

GoGoSoxReborn
02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know where I can find links to the picture of Sammy really skinny when he was with the Sox and then really swollen up right during the heart of his roid session with the Cubbies?

Hitmen77
02-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know where I can find links to the picture of Sammy really skinny when he was with the Sox and then really swollen up right during the heart of his roid session with the Cubbies?

I think there are better pictures of pre-roids Sammy, but check out this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/shammy.htm

NonetheLoaiza
02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Not that I think Sammy was ever uphill, but IMO, it's been all downhill for him in the public eye since the Rick Morrisey SI steroid confrontation. I mean, that seemed to get the ball rolling on the whispers and how the public finally seemed to realize how big of a jerk he really was.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
My biggest regret is that i've had the misfortune of sharing a first name with him.

Your first name is Sham-me? Amazing.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-17-2006, 02:33 PM
That argument (also espoused by Peter Gammons on ESPN in reference to McGwire pending HOF eligibility) is 100% BS. The best explanation for that I've seen is this: "You say because it wasn't officially illegal in baseball that you can't penalize the player for it. Well, baseball's rules don't explicitly forbid all kinds of behaviour, like spiking the visiting team's water cooler to similarly gain a competitive advantage. So I guess if one were to do that, that'd be OK too? "

Steroids were illegal but not officially banned by baseball. In-game murder is I'm guessing not explicitly banned by baseball, but I have to think that if a player pulled a gun and slaughtered the visiting team, that MIGHT be a bannable offense, no?

Then again the spitball was illegal yet pitchers like Whitey Ford, Gaylord Perry and others are in.

Not defending the steroids, just saying other cheaters are in.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Then again the spitball was illegal yet pitchers like Whitey Ford, Gaylord Perry and others are in.

Not defending the steroids, just saying other cheaters are in.The difference is that scuffing baseballs is not completely game-changing in the same way as steroids are. We're not talking about a marginal advantage that is used only once in a while.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-17-2006, 03:15 PM
The difference is that scuffing baseballs is not completely game-changing in the same way as steroids are. We're not talking about a marginal advantage that is used only once in a while.

I would say doctoring baseballs throughout the course of a ballgame does effect the game far more than 4 at bats by a possible steroid user who may reach base once or twice during the ballgame.

Also, I found it very hypocritical that the senile Jim Bunning made a special appearance to the committee he is not a member of to lecture about steroid use even though up to 75% of the players in his era took speed (or "greenies" as they call it) which is still being used throughout MLB (I think MLB is finally addressing that after decades of denial / acceptance).

Congress is theoretically more important than MLB - I'd like to see drug testing on Capitol Hill. I'm not holding my breath on that one though I would expect a vast increase of positives for Congress for illicit drugs over the 1% testing positive in MLB during 2005.

The owners and commissioners of MLB accepted amphetamines and steroids for decades without saying a word or prohibiting it in any way. Team doctors would hand out speed like candy approved and paid for by MLB owners. Yet I see ZERO punishment or accountability for Bud Selig and the 30 owners who turned a blind eye as players regained attendance for the game after the 1994 debacle.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I would say doctoring baseballs throughout the course of a ballgame does effect the game far more than 4 at bats by a possible steroid user who may reach base once or twice during the ballgame.

Also, I found it very hypocritical that the senile Jim Bunning made a special appearance to lecture about steroid use even though he and up to 75% of the players in his era took speed (or "greenies" as they call it).

Congress is theoretically more important than MLB - I'd like to see drug testing on Capitol Hill. I'm not holding my breath on that one though I would expect a vast increase of positives for Congress for illicit drugs over the 1% testing positive in MLB during 2005.I disagree. Even a guy like Gaylord Perry only threw a handfull of scuffballs in the course of a game. It's just too hard to do very often without getting caught. Bonds was juiced every swing of every game.

GoGoSoxReborn
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
:nandrolone

:corker

Brewski
02-17-2006, 07:29 PM
It's about the $$$, don't kid yourself. I heard several years ago how Hendry was upset about the way Sosa approached contract negotiations with the Cubs. In the words of the report, Hendry, being a WASP, is turned off by Sammy's very explicit focus on money in contract negotiations. Sammy, on the other hand, equates money with respect/validation.

The Nats, therefore, are disrespecting him with non-guaranteed terms.

I'm trying to make sense of this, once I get past the questionable rationalizing. Is it about the disrespectful $$$ or the disrespectful terms? Are you saying that only Latino players focus on money during negotiations? Would Hendry be turned off by another WASP who asked for more money? Or do WASP players only ask for a locker closer to the showers? This is giving me a Roadhousey feeling.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Unlike any other sport, baseball is ruled by its record book. The rules -- and the resulting statistics -- are basically unchanged for over 100 years.

The single most-important record in baseball is homeruns hit in a single season. Steroids smeared the relevance of this record. Sammy Sosa is one of the main culprits. Bonds and McGwire, too.

The juicers should all be banned. The damage they did to the sport far outstrips anything Joe Jackson allegedly did, or hearsay says Pete Rose did but was never convicted of. So why should the juicers catch a break on a technicality? **** that...

There is no justice in baseball.
:(:

kevin57
02-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to make sense of this, once I get past the questionable rationalizing. Is it about the disrespectful $$$ or the disrespectful terms? Are you saying that only Latino players focus on money during negotiations? Would Hendry be turned off by another WASP who asked for more money? Or do WASP players only ask for a locker closer to the showers? This is giving me a Roadhousey feeling.

Sorry to be misunderstood. I didn't say anything about Sammy's approach being or representing Latino players. In fact, I think I suggested that this is Sosa through and through. Hendry's philosophy is that money issues should be talked about in sort of round about ways.

I don't know if JH is from the East Coast, but I ran into this a lot out there. It is considered gauche for anyone to discuss how much his salary is, or what his financial portfolio contains. When speaking to a superior about one's contract, there's a certain subtlety to the way in which one broaches the subject.

Hendry and Sosa are just from different worlds, defining how money does or does not define who you are.

Brewski
02-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Sorry to be misunderstood. I didn't say anything about Sammy's approach being or representing Latino players. In fact, I think I suggested that this is Sosa through and through. Hendry's philosophy is that money issues should be talked about in sort of round about ways.

I don't know if JH is from the East Coast, but I ran into this a lot out there. It is considered gauche for anyone to discuss how much his salary is, or what his financial portfolio contains. When speaking to a superior about one's contract, there's a certain subtlety to the way in which one broaches the subject.

Hendry and Sosa are just from different worlds, defining how money does or does not define who you are.

You are right about the business world where $$$ are a big secret, but baseball doesn't fit that model, since salaries are published. Anyway, Sammy doesn't negotiate with the GM, his agent, Adam Katz, does.

Since you and I don't know what the guy in the next cubicle is making, we have to be mad at him because we THINK he is making more than we are. If we knew what he was making, we would have to be mad at him because we KNEW he was making more. That explains why we all hate the guy in the next cubicle.

monkeypants
02-17-2006, 09:40 PM
A somewhat encouraging note is that on the espn.com site there is a pole question on whether Sosa should be a Hall of Famer. With almost 80,000 responses so far, 60% say that he should not be in the Hall.

Hitmen77
02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
pretty funny:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45761

:roflmao:

cheeses_h_rice
02-24-2006, 12:43 AM
pretty funny:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45761

:roflmao:

This article could have been written by any number of WSIers:

BALTIMORE—Sammy Sosa, the slugger who won the attention and suspicion of American baseball fans with a series of 60-homer seasons in the late '90s, announced last Wednesday that he will retire from the sport despite, and in light of, being just 12 home runs away from the monumental and incriminating total of 600. "Sammy has given a lot to the game of baseball, but he feels that, at this point in his career, he just can't give any more, at least without coming under intense scrutiny from the media, Congress, and private investigators," Sosa's agent Adam Katz said. "I have spoken with Sammy, as well as his team of lawyers, and we all agree that this is the absolute right time for him to retire, with his dignity, legacy, and unblemished drug-abuse record still intact." Katz added that Sosa's plans for retirement include focusing on staying out of the spotlight, losing a few pounds in his head, neck, arms, and shoulders, and re-learning the English language in preparation for a short, succinct Hall of Fame induction speech in five years.

:gulp: