PDA

View Full Version : NY DAILY NEWS looks at White Sox and Cubs

Fenway
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
TUCSON, ARIZ: The defending world champion White Sox hardly rested on their laurels, adding Jim Thome from the Indians to replace Frank Thomas as DH, Javy Vazquez from Arizona to replace Orlando Hernandez as their No. 5 starter, and Rob Mackowiak from the Pirates to replace Geoff Blum as an all-purpose utilityman. In addition, the focus will be on two homegrown products, 6-7 righthander Brandon McCarthy and center fielder Brian Anderson, whom the Sox are counting on to be impact players. McCarthy will be eased into the rotation by performing long relief while Anderson takes over for the popular Aaron Rowand. On paper, the White Sox appear deeper and even better, but with the emphasis on repeating, manager Ozzie Guillen will keep a close eye on Thome's suspect physical condition, McCarthy's ability to adjust and Anderson's bat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/390526p-331275c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/390526p-331275c.html)

and he added this about the other Chicago team

MESA, ARIZ: Those who would maintain that it's the Cubs' turn to end their long World Series championship drought are going to be disappointed. The Cubs made some big changes in the offseason, bringing in an entirely new outfield in Juan Pierre, Jacque Jones and Jerry Hairston, as well as a new set-up corps of Scott Eyre and Bobby Howry, but they missed out on Furcal, couldn't do a deal for Miguel Tejada and had to settle for Neifi Perez to play shortstop. Many scouts feel rookie Felix Pie and holdover Matt Murton might be better outfield bets than Jones or Hairston. GM Jim Hendry still has one more trade chip in Todd Walker, but this is still looking like the last Cubs spring for Dusty Baker.

SoxSpeed22
02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
So far, every offseason eval has been a "thumbs up" for us. Let's see how ST determines these.

kittle42
02-12-2006, 03:30 PM
"Settle" for Neifi Perez? Dusty would take offense at saying that about his perceived best SS ever.

Goose
02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
adding Jim Thome from the Indians to replace Frank Thomas as DH

:?:

These guys are in tune.

Mr. White Sox
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
:?:

These guys are in tune.

Well, I mean, Thome DID play for the Indians. At one point. And Thomas WAS our DH. For like 20 games. So, uh, yeah...

gobears1987
02-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, I mean, Thome DID play for the Indians. At one point. And Thomas WAS our DH. For like 20 games. So, uh, yeah...Yeah Thome's best years were with the Indians. If we didn't get him, then we would've kept Frank as our DH.

doublem23
02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
"Settle" for Neifi Perez? Dusty would take offense at saying that about his perceived best SS ever.

Isn't Cedeno supposed to be the SS, anyways?

Who ****in' cares, that team sucks.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Call me an idiot, because I know nothing about the Cubs really, but I swore I heard Hairston's name mentioned as being a Scrub last year? And aren't the scrubs playing some rook in the outfield this year too? I was thinking that a rook in the outfield was about the only thing the teams have in common this year... am I mistaken?

thomas35forever
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Ah, it sure feels good to be on top, doesn't it? Btw, wasn't Hairston already with the Cubs?

kittle42
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I mean, Thome DID play for the Indians. At one point. And Thomas WAS our DH. For like 20 games. So, uh, yeah...

Yes, but he was acquired from the Phillies. Reading is fundamental! :smile:

Fenway
02-13-2006, 08:39 AM
interview with Dusty? :tongue:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20060213/lcrbc060213.gif

34 Inch Stick
02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Call me an idiot, because I know nothing about the Cubs really, but I swore I heard Hairston's name mentioned as being a Scrub last year? And aren't the scrubs playing some rook in the outfield this year too? I was thinking that a rook in the outfield was about the only thing the teams have in common this year... am I mistaken?

You remember correctly, as he was the player the Cubs acquired in exchange for Sammy.

palehozenychicty
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
This dude is a fool: He said that the Dodgers acquired Milton Bradley.

VERO BEACH, FLA : After taking over as Dodgers GM on Nov. 26, Ned Colletti embarked on a whirlwind of signings and deals, enlisting Grady Little as his manager and bringing in fellow ex-Red Sox, Bill Mueller and Nomar Garciaparra as corner infielders, ex-Braves stalwart Rafael Furcal at short and troubled vagabond Milton Bradley to take over in center field.

Uh, Mr. Madden, he was TRADED to the A's. The fact checker at the daily news needs to be fired. :?:

Mr. White Sox
02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, but he was acquired from the Phillies. Reading is fundamental! :smile:

I know, I was trying to sarcastically defend the column. Looks like I should've used teal. :(:

Dan Mega
02-13-2006, 02:09 PM
So far, every offseason eval has been a "thumbs up" for us. Let's see how ST determines these.

You mean BP has stopped the Billy Beane butt-kissing and got with the times?

Ol' No. 2
02-13-2006, 03:08 PM
You mean BP has stopped the Billy Beane butt-kissing and got with the times?Unfortunately, no. They're the exception. After all, if it doesn't fit their model, it must be luck.

Whitesox029
02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Remember that ST records rarely mean a thing. Colorado went 17-15 in spring last year, while the Sox were only 14-18.

SoxSpeed22
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Remember that ST records rarely mean a thing. Colorado went 17-15 in spring last year, while the Sox were only 14-18.This is all true, but I would like to use ST to find the lefty and the bench guys.