PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain what blackouts are and why they happen?

Tempe
02-11-2006, 11:28 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66254

In this thread people are talking about not getting live feed for games because they live in a certain spot. Why would this happen? Thanks!

Tempe

NDSox12
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66254

In this thread people are talking about not getting live feed for games because they live in a certain spot. Why would this happen? Thanks!

Tempe

Hey Tempe,

Are you talking about the online MLB.TV blackouts or digital cable/satellite MLB Extra Innings blackouts? I don't know about the former, but as for the latter... any games involving teams in your local market will be blacked out on MLB Extra Innings. As I recall, you live near Baltimore, which would mean all the Orioles games would probably get blacked out for you. I kind of get the double-whammy, because MLB will black out both Orioles and Nationals games for me on Extra Innings, even if the games aren't broadcasted on regular cable.

You would not have to worry about White Sox games getting blacked out unless they are playing the Orioles. However, as others stated in that thread, most Saturday afternoon FOX broadcasts would not be available either.

Hope this helps.

Nellie_Fox
02-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Also, if you have a satellite package that includes the various Fox Sports Nets and Comcast Sports Nets, pro sports are blacked out outside their home area because they want you to pay for the various packages to get all games in that sport. I hope this makes sense, because I found it hard to describe.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Also, if you have a satellite package that includes the various Fox Sports Nets and Comcast Sports Nets, pro sports are blacked out outside their home area because they want you to pay for the various packages to get all games in that sport. I hope this makes sense, because I found it hard to describe.

I might be moving to Indianapolis next year... Any idea how much that would run me for the season? To get all the Comcast Sport Nets/Fox Sport Nets that is...

Nellie_Fox
02-12-2006, 02:11 AM
See, I didn't think I made any sense. You have to subscribe to the MLB "extra-innnings" package, or the NFL "gameday" or whatever they call it package. You can get all the Fox Sports or Comcast channels, but the pro games will be blacked out on them. You will not be able to watch the Sox or the Blackhawks or the Bulls games even if you have their home channel on your satellite; you have to purchase the separate packages that includes all the teams in that sport.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Gotcha... Thanks.. I figured thats kinda what you meant.... $400 for the MLB package or thereabouts? Thats the package where you get only the home teams announcers right? Or can you get the White Sox announcing crew for all games with the package?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Gotcha... Thanks.. I figured thats kinda what you meant.... $400 for the MLB package or thereabouts? Thats the package where you get only the home teams announcers right? Or can you get the White Sox announcing crew for all games with the package?

To get the online version, the cost is either $79 or $99 (MLB.TV - every home broadcast if you are not in a MLB market). All games are archived so if they are blacked out (Fox and ESPN Sunday game blackouts) you can watch them anytime. The cool thing about this package is all games are achieved and you have access through the following season (no need to tape a game or set TIVO up or whatever). Playoff games are blacked out but you can watch archives as well (including the entire 2005 Chicago White Sox postseason).

(The regular season link is not available because Bud Selig is pimping the asinine WBC so you won't have the cost available for the regular season until the end of March). http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

Via cable or satelite the package is $159 a year (IIRC) but they do not have every game like the online version (most games are covered but not every single game - usually 10 -12 a night). Fox and ESPN blackouts apply via this version as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/broadcasts/extra_innings.jsp

Online audio is $14.95 and there are no restrictions and no blackouts the entire season. I've had this since inception.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2006, 02:34 AM
(The regular season link is not available because Bud Selig is pimping the asinine WBC so you won't have the cost available for the regular season until the end of March). http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

Thanks, I'll still be in this area until at least after this season so I have no worries right now... Just curious how this would work if I do move away... Great Info to have for if/when I do move... $159 for a season ain't bad... Figure the other games are probably covered on WGN or ESPN so any decent cable package would probably carry those anyways... Plus from Indy I'll still probably buy at least a weekend package to make 20 or so at home a year.. (and then there are the road trips :smile: )

Tempe
02-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I just don't get whey they would do that in the first place.... blackout certain games. If you pay for the channel subscription you should get what you pay for http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/confused.gif

itsnotrequired
02-12-2006, 10:19 AM
:dollarbill:

"Blackout? What's a blackout? Never heard of them..."

Taliesinrk
02-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I'll still be in this area until at least after this season so I have no worries right now... Just curious how this would work if I do move away... Great Info to have for if/when I do move... $159 for a season ain't bad... Figure the other games are probably covered on WGN or ESPN so any decent cable package would probably carry those anyways... Plus from Indy I'll still probably buy at least a weekend package to make 20 or so at home a year.. (and then there are the road trips :smile: )

alright.. now i need some help. As it shows, I live in Ft. Wayne, IN (we get CSN - chicago, so I'm set). However, I go to school in Richmond, IN... this is considered Indianapolis area.

For something like the past two years, when I've been down here at school, everytime the Sox were supposed to be nationally televised on ESPN it has been blacked out. I don't understand why.

This has been the case even if they've been on the road, and it really aggrevates me. I lived here in Richmond over the summer to do research and couldn't get any of the Sox games. This was really aggrevating and I couldn't understand why. It's not even like it was on a dish or anything. I do have to say though, buying the MLB Radio package online was pretty sweet. John Rooney made my summer.

Milw
02-12-2006, 04:39 PM
alright.. now i need some help. As it shows, I live in Ft. Wayne, IN (we get CSN - chicago, so I'm set). However, I go to school in Richmond, IN... this is considered Indianapolis area.

For something like the past two years, when I've been down here at school, everytime the Sox were supposed to be nationally televised on ESPN it has been blacked out. I don't understand why.

This has been the case even if they've been on the road, and it really aggrevates me. I lived here in Richmond over the summer to do research and couldn't get any of the Sox games. This was really aggrevating and I couldn't understand why. It's not even like it was on a dish or anything. I do have to say though, buying the MLB Radio package online was pretty sweet. John Rooney made my summer.
The same thing happened to me a few summers ago when I lived in Watertown, Wis. Watertown is considered the Milwaukee market, but for some reason, my cable company classified it as being in the Rockford market. In other words, I got Milwaukee channels, but when it came time to blackout things like baseball games, we fell into the Rockford jurisdiction.

Thus, I the cable company told me I couldn't watch the Sox on Extra Innings or on ESPN because I should be watching them on FSN Chicago, but they couldn't understand that I didn't have access to FSN Chicago due to being in the Milwaukee market.

I know, it didn't make any sense to me either. Point is, it sounds like this is your conundrum too, and I don't know that there's a way to rectify it, unless your cable company is less dense than mine was.

Fred Manrique
02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Could someone please explain what blackouts are and why they happen?

Blackouts occur when someone drinks too much and while they are still awake and functioning, they do not remember what happened the next day. They are very dangerous and happen often in binge drinking situations.

Jurr
02-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Oh..dude..you can't beat the Xinnings package. I've had it for three years now, and it's the best. You get to watch all of the pennant race games, which came in handy last year! A lot of us here would watch the Indians games while in chat and suffer together. If you think about per hour how much entertainment you'll get in a season, you will find that 150 bucks is a helluva bargain....damn, did that sound like an ad or what? :redface:

Nellie_Fox
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh..dude..you can't beat the Xinnings package. I've had it for three years now, and it's the best. You get to watch all of the pennant race games, which came in handy last year! A lot of us here would watch the Indians games while in chat and suffer together. If you think about per hour how much entertainment you'll get in a season, you will find that 150 bucks is a helluva bargain....damn, did that sound like an ad or what? :redface:The problem I had wasn't with the $150, it was that I'd first have to subscribe to, and pay the extra per month for, the "digital tier" of my cable service to even be able to pay for the "extra innings" package. That started running it up into money I wasn't willing to pay.