3B - Mike Squires
LF - Carlton Fisk
CF - Jose Valentin
RF - Jamie Burke
P - Jaime Navarro

Brian26
02-11-2006, 04:49 PM
What a great idea for a thread!

Don't forget Josh Paul in LF or Ross Gload in CF, courtesy of...

:jerry

TDog
02-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Players moved from their natural position....and things got ugly:

C- Wayne Nordhagen
1B-Ron Kittle
2B- Ron Santo
SS- Greg Norton or Kevin Bell
3B-Kenny Williams or Jorge Orta
LF-Carlton Fisk
CF-Steve Sax or Alan Bannister
RF-Bill Melton
DH-Ken Brett

I don't know how ugly things got, and I don't know that all these examples apply.

Bill Melton was a natural outfielder who was moved to third base before coming up with the Sox. He didn't make any errors in the outfield in 1970, but he was leading the AL in errors at third base when Don Gutteridge moved him to the outfield.

Ron Kittle's natural position was catcher. Outfield was an unnatural position to him.

I don't believe Ken Brett was ever a DH, although he, like Terry Forster and even Tommy John, was used as a pinch hitter. Bobby Thigpen was a DH and outfielder in college. He didn't pitch at all the summer he spent hitting about .360 in Alaska. Pitching wasn't really his natural position. LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams at five positions. He said he knew he was drafted by the Yankees when they told him he was selected as a pitcher. When he was coming up, he played everywhere, just as Jermaine Dye did.

Robin Ventura's inning at shortstop was much uglier (for the player) than Jermaine Dye's.

If you were trying to be funny, you might have put Billy Koch or Todd Ritchie at pitcher.

delben91
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
What a great idea for a thread!

Don't forget Josh Paul in LF or Ross Gload in CF, courtesy of...

:jerry

I was going to say, Josh Paul could fill that roster single-handedly. After all, he is "versatile."

TomBradley72
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know how ugly things got, and I don't know that all these examples apply.

Bill Melton was a natural outfielder who was moved to third base before coming up with the Sox. He didn't make any errors in the outfield in 1970, but he was leading the AL in errors at third base when Don Gutteridge moved him to the outfield.

Ron Kittle's natural position was catcher. Outfield was an unnatural position to him.

I don't believe Ken Brett was ever a DH, although he, like Terry Forster and even Tommy John, was used as a pinch hitter. Bobby Thigpen was a DH and outfielder in college. He didn't pitch at all the summer he spent hitting about .360 in Alaska. Pitching wasn't really his natural position. LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams at five positions. He said he knew he was drafted by the Yankees when they told him he was selected as a pitcher. When he was coming up, he played everywhere, just as Jermaine Dye did.

Robin Ventura's inning at shortstop was much uglier (for the player) than Jermaine Dye's.

If you were trying to be funny, you might have put Billy Koch or Todd Ritchie at pitcher.

I just assumed Melton was an adventure in the OF...his range couldn't have been great...maybe someone who saw him play can jump in? I think Brett was used as DH...he had 12 AB's in 1976...maybe he was just allowed to bat for himself? Kittle as 1B...every time the ball found him...you winced. I could have included Nordhagen or Squires as pitchers....they both made appearances in blow outs.

Dick Allen
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Jorge Orta at 3rd base, costing Ken Brett a No-hitter.

The Dude
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Crede and Willie at SS last year
Crazy Carl in the OF
Timo at 1st

markopat
02-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Classic Thread...LOL!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Lip Man 1
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
People forget that Minnie Minoso once was moved to 3rd base by Al Lopez where he started the season in 1954. It didn't last long.

Then in 1957 Jungle Jim Rivera was moved to 1st base with Bubba Phillips (an outfielder by trade) got moved to 3rd base.

Lip

lumpyspun
02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
P-Steve Lyons
C-Steve Lyons
1B-Steve Lyons
2B-Steve Lyons
3B-Steve Lyons
SS-Steve Lyons
LF-Steve Lyons
CF-Steve Lyons
RF-Steve Lyons

Brian26
02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
P-Steve Lyons
C-Steve Lyons
1B-Steve Lyons
2B-Steve Lyons
3B-Steve Lyons
SS-Steve Lyons
LF-Steve Lyons
CF-Steve Lyons
RF-Steve Lyons

You forgot:
PlaybyPlay- Steve Lyons
ColorCommentator- Steve Lyons

thomas35forever
02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Don't forget Chris Widger at 3B.

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Don't forget Chris Widger at 3B.

Or Konerko at third. :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Steve Sax at 2B! :o:

TDog
02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
... I think Brett was used as DH...he had 12 AB's in 1976...maybe he was just allowed to bat for himself? Kittle as 1B...every time the ball found him...you winced. ...

Brett in 1976 was 0-6 as a pitcher hitting for himself and 1-6 as a pinch hitter. He didn't come to bat for the Sox in 1977. He pitched in 27 games, and played in 33, accounting for all of his appearances that season.

A DH never plays the field. If a DH comes into the game to play the field, the team loses its DH. I haven't gone through all of the box scores, but because Brett did relieve in one game, he could have started a game at DH and relieved to deprive his team of the DH. But that didn't happen.

There are people who winced every time a fly ball was hit toward Ron Kittle.

thomas35forever
02-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Two questions: 1. Didn't Konerko used to play leftfield?
2. Did Steve Lyons really play every position once?

TDog
02-11-2006, 07:55 PM
2. Did Steve Lyons really play every position once?

Paul Konerko played 18 games in left for the Dodgers and Reds. I don't think he's ever played left for the Sox.

Steve Lyons played every position in an in-season exhibition game against the Cubs before the advent of interleague play.

soxinem1
02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
3B Marc Hill/Donnie Hill/Marv Foley
PH Gene Nelson
1B Jerry Hairston
CF Vance Law
LF Ron Karkovice
DH Dave Gallagher/Harry Chappas
OF Danny Tartabull
SS Royce Clayton
SP Steve Rosenberg
P Jaime Navarro
MLB Phil Bradley

No teal required.........

Brian26
02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
CF Vance Law

I thought this was a mistake, but retrosheet says Vance played a game in left in '82, once in center in '83, and 6 games in CF in '84. I don't remember this or the circumstances surrounding at all. Is there any way this could be a mistake with the stats getting mixed up with Rudy Law's? I remember LaRussa putting Baines in CF a few times in '82 or '83 when there was an injury, but that was rare.

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Jose Valentin-3B or CF:redface:

Ross Gload-OF:rolleyes:

Brian26
02-11-2006, 08:57 PM
SS Royce Clayton
No teal required.........

Clayton is my all-time most hated Sox player, but it's not because of his fielding. I thought he was a mediocre SS, but not the worst of all time and certainly not out of position there.

bahn1225
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Steve Sax at 2B! :o:

Say what you must but I was (am) a big fan of Sax.
And for those of you that remember that "special" play he made in the outfield,
when he turned every way but the right way and STILL caught the ball,
that will forever be a classic highlight.:redneck
plus, when he was in "A" ball, he was dating twins (Libby and Lisa). Oh ,those were the days.....

soxinem1
02-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I thought this was a mistake, but retrosheet says Vance played a game in left in '82, once in center in '83, and 6 games in CF in '84. I don't remember this or the circumstances surrounding at all. Is there any way this could be a mistake with the stats getting mixed up with Rudy Law's? I remember LaRussa putting Baines in CF a few times in '82 or '83 when there was an injury, but that was rare.

I remember it quite well. LaRussa has always had a thing for lefty-hitting C and 3B, and a RH CF. As the Sox were struggling to score, Rudy Law was not hitting lefties, Roy Smalley was brought in to play some 3B in 1984. He was the guy we got from the Yankees for giving the Doug Drabek.

Tony thought putting Vance in CF would add more to the line up. While Vance was an excellent infielder, he was not very fleet of foot and had no place in the OF.

This was the same year Mike Squires started at 3B during LaMarr Hoyt's one-hitter against New York.

LaRussa did this with Vance Law until about two weeks later when he put him back at 3B because Smalley couldn't hit for **** with the Sox.

Martinigirl
02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Terry Bevington - manager

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
plus, when he was in "A" ball, he was dating twins (Libby and Lisa). Oh ,those were the days.....

My statement was a joke. I know Sax was a very good 2B with the Yankees, which is why the Sox coveted him and traded for him. But he was brutal once he came to the Sox. I mean, Joey Cora beat him out.
:o:

Brian26
02-11-2006, 09:56 PM

I think that was during a game at County Stadium....he was playing leftfield. Hawk loved it. It's even on the '93 highlight tape.

Bee_Bee_Richard
02-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Hawk Harrelson, General Manager

Darrin Jackson, Broadcast Booth

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Terry Bevington - manager

:tealtutor:
Just some help for you.I know the feeling.I'm color blind.

:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a violation;see the post above".:D:

gobears1987
02-12-2006, 12:29 AM
P - Jaime NavarroI'll call the teal police on you for an unneccesary use of teal.

Juice16
02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Or Konerko at third. :rolleyes:

Konerko was 3rd baseman in the minors.

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Konerko was 3rd baseman in the minors.

So was Mark McGwire. It doesn't mean that either could cut it at the hot corner in the bigs, though.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Timo Perez - CF

Jerry Manual- Manager

Hawk Harrelson- GM

D.J.- Play by play last year.......OHH-OOOOOOOO!

JohnBasedowYoda
02-12-2006, 04:01 PM

I didn't check up on this but I think he used to be a catcher too.

Brian26
02-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I didn't check up on this but I think he used to be a catcher too.

Definitely a catcher in the minors and in his early years in the Dodgers organization. I believe his rookie card with the Dodgers lists him as a catcher.

SoxSideIrish
02-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Definitely a catcher in the minors and in his early years in the Dodgers organization. I believe his rookie card with the Dodgers lists him as a catcher.Don't you guys remember the ALCS? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned 458 times that Scioscia knew Konerko from back in his Dodger days. Scioscia was the catching instructor (I think) and is credited for convincing Konerko to give up catching to play 1st.

This guy just loves helping us out...convinces Konerko to be an All-Star first basemen for us...lets us win the ALCS...what a guy.

TomBradley72
02-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Two more:

Terry Forster and Rich Gossage as "starting pitchers" in 1976.

miker
02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I was going to say, Josh Paul could fill that roster single-handedly. After all, he is "versatile."
I thought Josh did quite well for us in the playoffs last year with one particular slow roller back to the mound...:D: