View Full Version : Norfolk may just get their MLB team

Erik The Red
02-11-2006, 06:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2325930

Fenway
02-11-2006, 07:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2325930

30 Norfolk--Virginia Beach--Newport News, VA--NC MSA 1,569,541

In the 2000 census it was ranked the 30th largest metro area and showing an 8% growth since 1990.

Now if things get really bad in Washington with the stadium I could see the Nats going to Norfolk but I really doubt MLB would move a third team into the Orioles/Nationals TV market served by MASN

dcb56
02-11-2006, 10:36 AM
30 Norfolk--Virginia Beach--Newport News, VA--NC MSA 1,569,541

In the 2000 census it was ranked the 30th largest metro area and showing an 8% growth since 1990.

Now if things get really bad in Washington with the stadium I could see the Nats going to Norfolk but I really doubt MLB would move a third team into the Orioles/Nationals TV market served by MASN

Indeed, the article never suggested that a move to Norfolk is a serious possiblilty.

Samson's stop there was nothing more than the latest on his "Let's try to find a sucker to build us a half-billion dollar stadium" barnstorm across America.

SOXintheBURGH
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
You'd have MUCH better luck putting a third team in Northern New Jersey/New York than you would putting a third team in Metro DC.

samram
02-11-2006, 12:31 PM
You'd have MUCH better luck putting a third team in Northern New Jersey/New York than you would putting a third team in Metro DC.

Is Norfolk really considered Metro DC? It's actually a little closer to Raleigh than DC. I guess the thought of having Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Virginia Beach, and Newport News all able to support the team is attractive, but I don't see people there ponying up for a stadium.

VenturaSoxFan23
02-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Portland is probably the only real city that has a shot. Would also give Seattle a natural rival to play off of.

That whole South Florida experiment is a failure. They never had a stadium idea in place from Day One. At least with other teams that move/relocate or expansion teams, they have a new stadium in mind. They put a team in Denver knowing that Mile High Stadium was a temporary home until Coors Field was built.

They put a team in Florida because...well, the guy had money. If contraction was possible, Florida would be team-less.

SOXintheBURGH
02-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Is Norfolk really considered Metro DC? It's actually a little closer to Raleigh than DC. I guess the thought of having Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Virginia Beach, and Newport News all able to support the team is attractive, but I don't see people there ponying up for a stadium.

I always considered all of Eastern Virginia to be "DC."

GoSox2K3
02-11-2006, 08:39 PM
No way Norfolk, Virginia is getting a MLB team. Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

chisoxfanatic
02-11-2006, 10:24 PM
And, in developing news, Bud Selig has considered bringing Major League Baseball to Charleston, West Virginia...

samram
02-11-2006, 11:14 PM

Why not?

Fenway
02-11-2006, 11:16 PM

One problem that Norfolk has is the major employer is the US Navy. ( not a lot of $$$$ in that area ) It is not a commercial hub to speak of

Scottiehaswheels
02-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm considering moving to Indianapolis to be near my gf after this season... The only thing holding me here right now is the Sox... If say the Twins were to move to Indy I'd be gone in a heartbeat... Problem with Indy is they probably wouldn't even consider moving a team there because of financing til 2018 or so... Colts are getting a new stadium soon I guess... I doubt Twins/Marlins would want to move from one football stadium to another... A guy can dream though right?

soxfan26
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I always considered all of Eastern Virginia to be "DC."

Well, yeah that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Stroker Ace
02-12-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm considering moving to Indianapolis to be near my gf after this season... The only thing holding me here right now is the Sox... If say the Twins were to move to Indy I'd be gone in a heartbeat... Problem with Indy is they probably wouldn't even consider moving a team there because of financing til 2018 or so... Colts are getting a new stadium soon I guess... I doubt Twins/Marlins would want to move from one football stadium to another... A guy can dream though right?I've never thought about Indy and baseball. I say, why not move tem there, granted Las Vegas is out of the picture. I would like to see a pro team in Vegas.

Scottiehaswheels
02-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I've never thought about Indy and baseball. I say, why not move tem there, granted Las Vegas is out of the picture. I would like to see a pro team in Vegas.

If the Twins move I'd think that Indy is the obvious choice, especially with the governor attempting to get the entire state on Central time... If the Twins move to VA or OR, MLB will have to realign the divisions... Indy could be a pretty good draw in a 38,000-40,000 seat stadium.... Plenty of room down there to build a stadium for certain... Plus its a short cruise from Chicago down there(sorta) Being a NWI Sox fan I'd definately go every road trip down there (if I don't move down there )as I'm sure a lot of other people would... Between ticket sales/hotel-meal revenue I'd think a new stadium could pay for itself down there in 10-12 years... especially if you have 1-2k or more Sox fans driving down for 3 series a year? Indy would easily be the closest team in our division to Chicago... by at least 2 hours driving...

elrod
02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
The Nats are staying put. The DC Council passed a stadium lease bill.

Trav
02-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Norfolk surprised Selig when he was playing Scott Boras' type of negotiations. They had much more corporate funding than the MLB thought they would get. Unfortunately, since Selig was just using Norfolk to expedite a stadium agreement (we know now how that worked out) in DC, Norfolk never had a chance no matter what. Attendance is not the main factor in bringing a team to an area. Corporate sponsors and a stadium are the main things. Attendance is something that the MLB decides to wait and see on. Sadly.

Fenway, You are right, Hampton Roads' main employer is the Navy and the average income isn't much because of it but I don't see that as a bad thing. When you have a bunch of 18-22 year olds with 90% of their paycheck being spent on entertainment you have a good situation to bring in a decent crowd. But like I said, that matters not when it comes to getting a team.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
With all this talk about Las Vegas and other areas how come nobody ever mentioned Indianapolis?

Too close to Chicago?

Hitmen77
02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
With all this talk about Las Vegas and other areas how come nobody ever mentioned Indianapolis?

Too close to Chicago?

It's alot harder for a city to support a MLB team than an NFL or NBA team. They need a big enough fan base to draw decent crowds 80 times a year and bring in over 2 million people through the turnstyles. Also, local TV revenue is a big part of an MLB team's revenue. For an NFL team, they only need to fill their stadium 8 times a year and TV revenue is shared.

I really question whether cities like Indianapolis, Portland, Vegas, and especially Norfolk, Va. can support a major league baseball team.

gobears1987
02-15-2006, 02:06 PM
I would love a team in Norfolk. That way I'd be able to watch some baseball when I get my commission. There's a good chance I'll end up spending a few years there down the road.

Trav
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I would love a team in Norfolk. That way I'd be able to watch some baseball when I get my commission. There's a good chance I'll end up spending a few years there down the road.

Our only chance was the Expos and even that was just a wild hope. I don't believe MLB ever intended or intends to put a franchise here. The closest thing we have is a 4+ hour drive to DC. It wouldn't be so bad if the traffic wasn't terrible. Check out the Norfolk Tides (Mets AAA); they have a great stadium and are pretty competitive.

northshoresoxfan
02-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I have a lot of family in the Norfolk/VA Beach area and I can tell you there are a lot of Mets fans down there. This is because the AAA Mets Affiliate is basicly the only professional game in town. I doubt if there are many O's fans in the area and there might be a few DC fans, but the nationals are a new team. I bet there are more Braves fans because of TBS than DC fans.

While the area may be large enough to support a major league team, it is a millitary town and I'm not sure the income is there to sustain it long term. I think Portland, OR is the best fit if any team is going to move. They have the population and the money to support another team. It only has one team (trailblazers) and it has a bigger population than Milwaukee which has two teams (bucks, brewers).

Basically the Marlins are trying to get Miami or the State to fund a new stadium. If they appear to be talking about moving it might convince lawmakers. The same thing is going to start happening in Minnesota. I suspect Bud also might try to contract both teams considering mlb can get rid of them under the current agreement with the players union.