PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel like you are World Champion?

RallyBowl
02-10-2006, 06:33 PM
A while back I ended a post with the words " I AM A WORLD CHAMPION.". At least one poster mocked me, and I believe asked me if I was the bat boy or something. Which leads me to the question- Do you consider yourself a World Champion?

I may be in the minority here, but I do consider myself one, as evidenced by my aforementioned post. While I realize that I in fact did not win anything, nor did I do anything tangible that helped our beloved Pale Hose win the World Series, I still feel I have the right to call myself a "World Champion". In a few months I will buy myself a replica ring and wear it with pride.

Am I being a ****ing dork or what?

I don't think so. You may disagree. Let's get it on.

dakuda
02-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I think that the only people who are actually 'World Champions', are those who were on the field, and their coaches/mgmt/front office/etc. Basically, those with a direct outcome, on some level, of the on-field product.

I am a HUGE fan of the team, and do say 'we' quite a bit when referring to the team, but I personally am not a World Champion.

MERPER
02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
In this case... YES.... and i didn't even feel like one for any of the 6 Bulls championships...

Since I can remember, being a White Sox fan has helped shape me as a person in many regards.... It is an identity, an obsession, a passion and a love of my life...

What makes it an even bigger deal is that I live on the North side and all my life I have been ridiculed for choosing to be a White Sox fan... EVERY day and night my friends would make fun of me and in my group of 10 buddies I was the only Sox fan so no matter how good of an argument I would make, I'd lose due to shear numbers...

Watching the White Sox play in October and win the World Series gave me such a sense of pride and feeling of overwhelming joy that I absolutely feel like a World Champion!....

and there's no arguments from the North side Cubs fans anymore... they just don't want to talk about it...

MarySwiss
02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
In this case... YES.... and i didn't even feel like one for any of the 6 Bulls championships...

Since I can remember, being a White Sox fan has helped shape me as a person in many regards.... It is an identity, an obsession, a passion and a love of my life...

What makes it an even bigger deal is that I live on the North side and all my life I have been ridiculed for choosing to be a White Sox fan... EVERY day and night my friends would make fun of me and in my group of 10 buddies I was the only Sox fan so no matter how good of an argument I would make, I'd lose due to shear numbers...

Watching the White Sox play in October and win the World Series gave me such a sense of pride and feeling of overwhelming joy that I absolutely feel like a World Champion!....

and there's no arguments from the North side Cubs fans anymore... they just don't want to talk about it...

That's not the way I hear it from my Sox fan friends and relatives back in Illinois. They tell me the Cubs fans are picking up on that ridiculous "It's sooo last year; get over it" theme. I encourage them to adopt the answer my good cyberpal DumpJerry came up with, i.e., "Get over it? Get used to it!"

RallyBowl
02-10-2006, 06:50 PM
That's not the way I hear it from my Sox fan friends and relatives back in Illinois. They tell me the Cubs fans are picking up on that ridiculous "It's sooo last year; get over it" theme. I encourage them to adopt the answer my good cyberpal DumpJerry came up with, i.e., "Get over it? Get used to it!"

You didn't answer the question though, Mary!:tsk: :D:

MarySwiss
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
You didn't answer the question though, Mary!:tsk: :D:

Take another look at the poll results!

chisoxfan64
02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I`m with you on this one, I think when you support a team and live and die with them, you are a World Champion Fan.:smile:

delben91
02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
While I don't concur with the "douchebag" portion of the poll choice, I don't feel like I myself am a World Champion.

Doesn't mean I'm not a die-hard fan, or that I haven't spent a ridiculous amount of money turning my apartment into a White Sox Shrine. I just think that I wasn't on the team, so I don't think I can use "World Champion" in description of myself.

I can totally see how people would though, and there's nothing really wrong with that, so I say party on World Champion! :gulp:

MUsoxfan
02-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I've pumped thousands of dollars into the White Sox. My dollars help pay for what's on the field. Therefore, I too am a World Champion:cool:

Soxfanspcu11
02-10-2006, 07:18 PM
They tell me the Cubs fans are picking up on that ridiculous "It's sooo last year; get over it" theme.

I have only heard this a few times since 10/26/05, but to me, this just shows how completely stupid cubs fans are.

First of all, while the event may have occurred last year, the Sox are still World Champions! And they will be World Champions until another player on another team closes his glove on the final out that makes another team World Champions. (Hopefully this won't happen for awhile!) So the argument that it is "soooo last year" or whatever just doesn't make any sense. The Sox could suck really bad next year, but until someone else wins it, they are still World Champs!

Secondly, these cub "fans" who say this are probably the same ones who just threw a huge party to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Bears Superbowl victory. But do they say to each other, "That is sooooo 20 years ago?" I don't think so.

And thirdly, when Cubs fans say this, they have OFFICIALLY reached a new low. This is by far the LAMEST response/argument that I have EVER heard them come up with it. I thought the attendance/bad neighborhood/thug fans argument was pointless, but cubs fans have risen to a new level of PATHETIC.

This is probably the first time in my life where I have actually started to feel bad for fans of that "franchise". Prior to 2005, I HATED the cubs, during our run in '05, I was filled with indifference and now I really am starting to feel sympathy. They are going to be mocked this season with an intensity NEVER before seen.

If they think it has been a long winter, then this summer they all better be put on suicide watch, I'm NOT kidding.

Chicago
02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Are you an American??? What did you do to make America??? Where you actually a soldier that faught in a war for this country??? Or where you a goverment official that played a roll in creating this country???

I feel like we can all call ourselves Champions because without the fans the White Sox don't exist. Our cheers, our support, our money allowed these guys to win a Championship for themselves, the fans and the city. We all had our part in this... some more than others, but everyone still counts. If you have a puzzle with a missing piece, weither its a corner piece or a piece in the middle, it's not a complete puzzle.

SOXintheBURGH
02-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I'll say you're a World Champion Douche Bag.

:cheers:

RallyBowl
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM

Well done.

Soxfanspcu11
02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Are you an American??? What did you do to make America??? Where you actually a soldier that faught in a war for this country??? Or where you a goverment official that played a roll in creating this country???

I feel like we can all call ourselves Champions because without the fans the White Sox don't exist. Our cheers, our support, our money allowed these guys to win a Championship for themselves, the fans and the city. We all had our part in this... some more than others, but everyone still counts. If you have a puzzle with a missing piece, weither its a corner piece or a piece in the middle, it's not a complete puzzle.

I agree with what you said, but how in the hell did you get the username that you have??:?:

I mean, this board has been around for about 5 years and in that ENTIRE time, NO ONE chose the username "Chicago"???

That's really amazing to me! lol. Sorry, I know it's off the topic, but the only thing I can think of is either that that name existed before, and the mods erased that account and let it be used again or people who have been signing up thought that the name may have been taken already.

Again, I apologize for going off topic, but that really boggles my mind that NO ONE had that name already! I'm amazed by things like that!:D:

Chicago
02-10-2006, 07:45 PM
LOL I was suprised too... :D:

peeonwrigley
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm not a world champion. But my favorite baseball team is.

SOXintheBURGH
02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Well done.

We're all World Champions here, friend. Some of us more than others, but we're all World Champions here.

The Critic
02-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm not a world champion. But my favorite baseball team is.
This.

HChappasJr
02-10-2006, 10:32 PM
No. None of us are World Champions at anything. We did not accomplish anything. I know it feels great to be a fan of a World Champion, but let's keep it real people.

1951Campbell
02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
I wasn't on the roster, no.

But it sure is cool!

mccombe_35
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I think merper said it pretty well. As a lifelong northside Sox fan it's been an uphill battle to say the least. Hell yeah I feel like a champion since the WS win. I will never, ever forget those years of using every birthday wish or coin in a fountain wish for a ChiSox WS win.... I never thought it would happen. As unhealthy as it may sound my overall mood has changed since.

ChiSoxGirl
02-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I think merper said it pretty well. As a lifelong northside Sox fan it's been an uphill battle to say the least. Hell yeah I feel like a champion since the WS win. I will never, ever forget those years of using every birthday wish or coin in a fountain wish for a ChiSox WS win.... I never thought it would happen. As unhealthy as it may sound my overall mood has changed since.

Well said, my friend! By the way, I haven't heard from you in awhile! :cool:

mccombe_35
02-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Well said, my friend! By the way, I haven't heard from you in awhile! :cool:

Been away for awhile... I know... Didn't forget...

:hug: :wink:

Brian26
02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I`m with you on this one, I think when you support a team and live and die with them, you are a World Champion Fan.:smile:

My thinking is this: The Sox have enough of my money over the 25 years I've been a fan of the team....its ok to call myself a Champion :D:

1951Campbell
02-11-2006, 12:08 AM
http://usuarios.lycos.es/hardrockbuenosaires/paginas_varios/Fotos/david_lee_roth.jpg

"I don't feel tardy. But I feel like a World Champion."

:)

ChiSoxGirl
02-11-2006, 12:21 AM
It's interesting that this question became a thread. I called myself a "World Champion" the other day, but corrected myself and said "I'm a fan of a World Champion." Immediately after correcting myself, I wondered why I did that since I really do feel like a Champion. I exist with a happiness inside that I'd never felt before as a Sox fan and am content to the point that I don't even think it'd bother me if the Sox never played another baseball game again. I'd much rather just be a World Champion forever. :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2006, 12:44 AM
The White Sox are "WORLD CHAMPIONS".
I openly root for them,but I do not consider
myself a WORLD CHAMPION.

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2006, 01:49 AM
I don't refer to the team as "we." I've never donned the uniform. I've never sat in the dugout.

I care greatly about the White Sox, and have for a very long time. Their World Series Championship made me happier than I even imagined that it could. I was light-headed as the three outs in the ninth ticked by. This year has even given me the bonus of a much reduced time between the end of the season and the start of spring training. But I'm not a world champion of anything, just a very happy fan.

As for the idea that spending a lot of money makes you part of the team, I'll repeat a statement I made on here a couple of years ago. I spend a lot of money at the grocery store, but that doesn't make me produce manager.

RadioheadRocks
02-11-2006, 01:56 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000009HF2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000009HF2/ref=dp_image_0/102-2513938-0084143?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music)
"Do... you... YOU!!! Feel... like a World Champion?" :D:

batmanZoSo
02-11-2006, 03:22 AM
To be honest, I don't think about the World Series much anymore. One can only find so much joy in the accomplishments of another man. There's no euphoric afterglow anymore, that lasted about a month. I'm ready for another one. :cool:

TornLabrum
02-11-2006, 07:31 AM
I am an American by birth. I am a husband, a father, a science teacher, and many other things. I helped support that team with my cash. I cheered for them on and off the field. I even went to the ballpark for a 5:00 a.m. newscast to appear in a staged (by the TV station producing the newscast) rally for the Sox. However, I was not out on the field when the Sox won eleven post-season games.

No, I'm not a World Champion, but I certainly am ecstatic that the 2005 White Sox are.

FarWestChicago
02-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I don't refer to the team as "we." I've never donned the uniform. I've never sat in the dugout.

I care greatly about the White Sox, and have for a very long time. Their World Series Championship made me happier than I even imagined that it could. I was light-headed as the three outs in the ninth ticked by. This year has even given me the bonus of a much reduced time between the end of the season and the start of spring training. But I'm not a world champion of anything, just a very happy fan.

As for the idea that spending a lot of money makes you part of the team, I'll repeat a statement I made on here a couple of years ago. I spend a lot of money at the grocery store, but that doesn't make me produce manager. I am an American by birth. I am a husband, a father, a science teacher, and many other things. I helped support that team with my cash. I cheered for them on and off the field. I even went to the ballpark for a 5:00 a.m. newscast to appear in a staged (by the TV station producing the newscast) rally for the Sox. However, I was not out on the field when the Sox won eleven post-season games.

No, I'm not a World Champion, but I certainly am ecstatic that the 2005 White Sox are.Very well said, gents. If all it took was spending money I would be pushing Reinsy out with all I've spent on this site over the years. :D:

However, I am not a World Champion. The team I love and follow just happens to be the best in all the land. :cool:

batmanZoSo
02-11-2006, 11:01 AM

As for the idea that spending a lot of money makes you part of the team, I'll repeat a statement I made on here a couple of years ago. I spend a lot of money at the grocery store, but that doesn't make me produce manager.

I don't agree with the "we" thing. I say we because it just seems easier to say than saying "the Sox," a dozen times in a post for instance or using the word they over and over. For me it's not so much an inclusion of myself with the team on the field as it is a concept which stands for the entire Sox army (the team and the fanbase together). When I say "we did great last night," it means that the players did their job and we "did great" as fans or "made out great" by seeing a winner. Although there are times when it seems inappropriate to say "we," but I just play it by ear, lol. I suppose I would say "they" won the World Championship.

Also, if I'm talking to a cub fan at a bar or something, that's when "we" becomes useful to me, because again it means the team and the army together. I'll also use the phrase "you guys," as in "you guys sure sucked it up last year." :D:

jdm2662
02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I have and never will refer to a team as "we" unless I'm actually on it. I did not win the World Series, the White Sox did. THEY did a great job, and made me happy. However, I contributed to nothing to on the field success of the team. I just watched and enjoyed the results.

The Critic
02-11-2006, 12:05 PM
To be honest, I don't think about the World Series much anymore. One can only find so much joy in the accomplishments of another man. There's no euphoric afterglow anymore, that lasted about a month. I'm ready for another one. :cool:

I have to disagree with this.
I just watched the Sox Pride DVD again today, and I still find MUCH joy in the accomplishments of the 2005 White Sox!
:gulp:

voodoochile
02-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I actually am a world champion, but not in baseball. Doesn't mean I don't feel like one. The Sox made champions of us all. Not literally, but definitely in the way I feel.

That was the question asked and that is the one I am answering.

Yes, I feel like a world champion. No, I am not actually a world champion in the sport of baseball.

I wish this poll had multiple options...:tongue:

saltwater farmer
02-11-2006, 12:11 PM
A few days after the Pale Hose Triumph, my wife and I were waiting for a table at a small local restaurant here in Portland, Maine. As we enjoyed a cocktail in the bar, Sox hat on my head, I saw a member of the kitchen staff carry a bus tub of dishes from behind the bar to the kitchen. He had on a well-worn White Sox cap. This is Red Sox country and I had never seen another White Sox fan here in the 6 years I've lived here.

As we were leaving after dinner, we passed by the open door to the kitchen and I saw my comrade at the back of the kitchen. I raised my index finger and shouted to him, "How 'bout those White Sox!" He grinned widely and yelled back "Medias Blancas!"

A guy at the bar looked down his nose at me and asked "Are you yelling to the dishwasher?"

I said, "Nope. I'm yelling to the World Champion in the kitchen."

You're damn right: we're ALL World Champions.
:gulp: :bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

IlliniSox4Life
02-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think that I would say "I am a world champion", however I would say "we are world champions". While I didn't do anything on the field to help them, I did support them. It's kind of like voting. If your political candidate won the election, you might say "we won!", but not "I won".

Edit: and by the way, saying "we" doesn't imply that you are saying you are on the team. I always thought "we" implied White Sox nation or just all the people who do everything to get this team on the field. That includes people who buy tickets and support the team. Jerry Reinsdorf did absolutely nothing on the field, however, the players and kenny and ozzie seem to think this championship was more his than any other persons. If that isn't proof that a non player can have ownership of the championship, I don't know what is.

The Racehorse
02-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't take myself seriously as to think I'm a world champion when I kid around with friends by saying "Sox baby, we're world series champs".

C'mon, we're all just a bunch of fans who'll say dopey things. It's nothing to get our skivvies all bunched up about.

HChappasJr
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
My thinking is this: The Sox have enough of my money over the 25 years I've been a fan of the team....its ok to call myself a Champion :D:

You can call yourself a "Champion" when they're paying you to be there, not the other way around. Until then, you're just a fan like the rest of us.

gosox3072
02-11-2006, 03:02 PM

You beat me to it!:rolleyes:

White_Sock
02-11-2006, 04:11 PM
A while back I ended a post with the words " I AM A WORLD CHAMPION.". At least one poster mocked me, and I believe asked me if I was the bat boy or something. Which leads me to the question- Do you consider yourself a World Champion?

I may be in the minority here, but I do consider myself one, as evidenced by my aforementioned post. While I realize that I in fact did not win anything, nor did I do anything tangible that helped our beloved Pale Hose win the World Series, I still feel I have the right to call myself a "World Champion". In a few months I will buy myself a replica ring and wear it with pride.

Am I being a ****ing dork or what?

I don't think so. You may disagree. Let's get it on.

There was a study done on this. When a team does well the fans tend say we did it, associating themselve with the winner; but when the same team does poorly, fans tend to say they stink/suck disassociating themselves with the team. The main finding was that people like to attach themselves to winners. You calling yourself a champion is on par with what most people would do if their team won it all.

Brian26
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
However, I was not out on the field when the Sox won eleven post-season games.

Thank god for that, or our asses would have been swept three straight games in the first round. :D:

Brian26
02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
You can call yourself a "Champion" when they're paying you to be there, not the other way around. Until then, you're just a fan like the rest of us.

When did I say other fans weren't included? This entire thread is involving into some macho debate. I refer to the team as "we". The song is "We are the Champions". Some of us live in Chicago (or Chicagoland), and the team is called the "Chicago White Sox." Never have I claimed to play on the team or work for the organization, and it's ignorant to think I was inferring that. Simply, in talking about the team, it's easier to say "we". This is an old Steve Dahl bit where he was giving some Bears fan grief once when the fan said "we" on the old Ditka Sunday morning CBS show. Just because someone says "we", it doesn't mean they're warped in the head and actually think they play on the team or walk around their house wearing stirrups and baseball pants.

TornLabrum
02-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Thank god for that, or our asses would have been swept three straight games in the first round. :D:

Damn straight.

delben91
02-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Just because someone says "we", it doesn't mean they're warped in the head and actually think they play on the team or walk around their house wearing stirrups and baseball pants.

You mean it's weird that I'm watching TV while in baseball pants and the imitation stirrup/stirrup socks? :o:

Chisox003
02-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Just because someone says "we", it doesn't mean they're warped in the head and actually think they play on the team or walk around their house wearing stirrups and baseball pants.
Yup.

I always say we, whether "we" are terrible (See: Pre 2005) or the World Champs. It's just more fun to say it now. :redneck

As for the poll question, I thought the 2nd option was funny so I voted for it.

But here's my twist .... I VEND there!

So hell ya I'm a world champion, they even told me my ring was in the mail. :tongue:

markopat
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000009HF2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000009HF2/ref=dp_image_0/102-2513938-0084143?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music)
"Do... you... YOU!!! Feel... like a World Champion?" :D:

It looks like 2 out of 3 choosy Sox fans choose yes.

ROTFL!

:)

LongLiveFisk
02-11-2006, 08:30 PM

Yeah, and I'm sure all the Cubs fans who are also Bears fans adopted that same mentality during the 1986-1987 football season. :rolleyes:

davenicholson
02-11-2006, 08:36 PM
I once posted that one of my pet peeves was the referring of sports teams in the first person by fans over the age of eight, so you know how I voted. Judging by the poll results so far, though, I can see that I am in the minority about this now, just as I was then.:(:

LongLiveFisk
02-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I once posted that one of my pet peeves was the referring of sports teams in the first person by fans over the age of eight, so you know how I voted. Judging by the poll results so far, though, I can see that I am in the minority about this now, just as I was then.:(:

I think people do that mainy for simplicity purposes. It's a little easier to say "we" than "the Sox" or "the White Sox", plus for some people it makes them feel more a part of the organization. As fans we may not be officially a part of the organization, but we are definitely a vital contribution.

chisoxfanatic
02-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Paul Konerko said it himself when being interviewed on FOX during the World Series Game 4 Post Game, addressing the Sox fans: "But, until next October, you're the champs!"

I'm feeling what he's saying as well!!!

Go, Paulie, and GO SOX!!! :bandance:

Baby Fisk
02-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Almost every time I leave the home, I put on a Sox hat and am reminded that:

I am a (fan of the) World Champion(s).

SoLongFrank
02-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Our team are the World Champion White Sox of Major League Baseball. That makes us World Champion White Sox fans of Major League Baseball. WCWS always should come before the fan part. :cool: