PDA

View Full Version : Milo Hamilton slams Harry Caray

Hitmen77
02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Link to article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-rap09.html

TomBradley72
02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
If that story about when Hamilton was back in the hospital with leukemia is true...that's pretty brutal....I could see why he would carry a grudge.

Steelrod
02-10-2006, 08:19 AM
He's right.
Harry was an icon and dirtbag. Left both previous employers with bad blood. Smoke=fire!

TDog
02-10-2006, 10:49 AM
He's right.
Harry was an icon and dirtbag. ...

Not to mention a foul-mouthed drunk and great example for the kids.

Lip Man 1
02-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Other thread on this (from yesterday):

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66284&page=2

Lip

tebman
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
He's right.
Harry was an icon and dirtbag. Left both previous employers with bad blood. Smoke=fire!
Harry was an entertainer. His best years in Chicago were the late '70s when he was teamed with Jimmy Piersall -- they were laugh-out-loud funny.

He was a caricature of himself when he came to Chicago, and he became an even bigger one when he worked for the Cubs. But that's what a good entertainer is supposed to do, whether we're talking about Groucho Marx, Chuck Norris, or Pavorotti. His act didn't wear well with Reinsdorf and Einhorn, so they fired him, which happens to entertainers all the time.

The annoying thing to me about the Cult Of Harry is how the Tribune PR machine deifies him as some lovable uncle to good Cub fans.

Please.

The Sox fan in me got a laugh out of Harry 25 years ago, but then I wanted to get back to the ball game. Bill Veeck always understood that the promotions and sideshows shouldn't take precedence over the game -- that's something Harry never believed, since he was all about promoting himself.

Hamilton's probably right about Caray being hard to work with. Many self-promoters are, since by definition they need to be in the center ring. For me, the center ring should always be the ball game. But for Cub fans the game is just one part of the experience, and the cartoon version of Harry is an equally big part: "Let me hear ya!" :rolleyes:

miker
02-10-2006, 11:45 AM
That's probably why he's now revered by Cub fans...

SoxSideIrish
02-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Sounds like the entire bleacher section at the Urinal.

Hangar18
02-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Harry was an entertainer. His best years in Chicago were the late '70s when he was teamed with Jimmy Piersall -- they were laugh-out-loud funny.

He was a caricature of himself when he came to Chicago, and he became an even bigger one when he worked for the Cubs. But that's what a good entertainer is supposed to do, whether we're talking about Groucho Marx, Chuck Norris, or Pavorotti. His act didn't wear well with Reinsdorf and Einhorn, so they fired him, which happens to entertainers all the time.

The annoying thing to me about the Cult Of Harry is how the Tribune PR machine deifies him as some lovable uncle to good Cub fans.

Please.

The Sox fan in me got a laugh out of Harry 25 years ago, but then I wanted to get back to the ball game. Bill Veeck always understood that the promotions and sideshows shouldn't take precedence over the game -- that's something Harry never believed, since he was all about promoting himself.

Hamilton's probably right about Caray being hard to work with. Many self-promoters are, since by definition they need to be in the center ring. For me, the center ring should always be the ball game. But for Cub fans the game is just one part of the experience, and the cartoon version of Harry is an equally big part: "Let me hear ya!" :rolleyes:

I dont have a problem with Harry promoting himself, because as you said, he was part entertainer, thats what entertainers do. My only problem with Harry Caray (and the resulting cult-brought to you by the Tribune Entertainment Corporation) was the Fact that he was a brash-tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy and that of course ENDEARED him to White Sox fans.

It was when he didnt agree with Uncle Jerry and Einhorns policies (no more free tv) that things got sour. Finally when Uncle Jerry and Eddie asked him to TONE IT DOWN AND BE A COMPANY MAN, he said screw you, I refuse to be a company man, and walked 8miles north ...........AND BECOME A COMPANY MAN. Ironic? Of course, the Tribune made him larger than life, which is OK, but the fact he sold himself out, is my biggest problem with him. That said, I still shed a tear when he eventually passed, I only choose to remember him as a SOX announcer

soxinem1
02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I dont have a problem with Harry promoting himself, because as you said, he was part entertainer, thats what entertainers do. My only problem with Harry Caray (and the resulting cult-brought to you by the Tribune Entertainment Corporation) was the Fact that he was a brash-tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy and that of course ENDEARED him to White Sox fans.

It was when he didnt agree with Uncle Jerry and Einhorns policies (no more free tv) that things got sour. Finally when Uncle Jerry and Eddie asked him to TONE IT DOWN AND BE A COMPANY MAN, he said screw you, I refuse to be a company man, and walked 8miles north ...........AND BECOME A COMPANY MAN. Ironic? Of course, the Tribune made him larger than life, which is OK, but the fact he sold himself out, is my biggest problem with him. That said, I still shed a tear when he eventually passed, I only choose to remember him as a SOX announcer

While I agree with most of the comments stated here, are we to knock a team when our own marketed around it's former broadcaster-turned GM in 1986?

Sure the season was a fiasco, but what if it wasn't? What if 'The Hawk Want's You' turned successful, filled the park, and produced money? Do you think Reinsdorf would have gotten away from it? Hell no! Money talks, I don't care if that team was 52-110, JR would have kept that going if it worked.

I believe the story was Harry had an affair with Busch's wife or daughter, but what beer did he pitch the whole time he was with the cubs? Budweiser! And why? Because Harry not only marketed the team, he sold the beer too.

So while I agree with some of the assessments, it's not like it was done without reason. It's just like a previous statement I made on a different post. If you sell cow**** made to look like Bollinger and the cub fans bought it, keep selling!! I would, if the fan base is dumb enough to keep buying!

We didn't buy into such marketing ploys because White Sox fans are more serious about the product on the field, not the product sold by the vendors or concession stands. If we don't like it, we don't chase after it. Let the other morons worry about such stupid ****. We have a World Series Championship to defend. We'll market around that.

white sox bill
02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
You know I thought I'd miss the old boy but......he actually fits in quite well with that circus on the north side!

SouthSide_HitMen
02-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Finally when Uncle Jerry and Eddie asked him to TONE IT DOWN AND BE A COMPANY MAN, he said screw you, I refuse to be a company man, and walked 8miles north ...........AND BECOME A COMPANY MAN.

Actually, it was more of a pub crawl.

McCuddy's /Jimbo's

Chinatown for some grub

Then up State street, through Rush Street, then through Lincoln Park ending at Murphy's Bleachers.

areilly
02-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I believe the story was Harry had an affair with Busch's wife or daughter, but what beer did he pitch the whole time he was with the cubs? Budweiser! And why? Because Harry not only marketed the team, he sold the beer too.

It was Busch's wife and it was while he was working for the Cardinals, and this was why he got run out of St. Louis.

Or so the story goes.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
It was Busch's wife and it was while he was working for the Cardinals, and this was why he got run out of St. Louis.

Or so the story goes.

Everytime I see that Budweiser commercial with Gussie IV sitting on a bar stool, I can't help but notice the resemblance to Harry Caray. HOLY COW!
:wink:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:R4eRIUCrCWecaM:http://campaign.slu.edu/images/busch.jpg

FarWestChicago
02-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Everytime I see that Budweiser commercial with Gussie IV sitting on a bar stool, I can't help but notice the resemblance to Harry Caray. HOLY COW!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:R4eRIUCrCWecaM:http://campaign.slu.edu/images/busch.jpg:roflmao:

jehosaphat
02-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Milo H. was never the announcer Harry was IMO.

My first reactions were (a) who is going to buy Milo's book unless he says something provacative and (b) would you want your legacy written by your worst enemy? Nasty statements about others sells books, like it or not. In regard to the second point, most all of us have been a bit of a jerk at one time or another, and most all of us have someone in our past who didn't like us, and maybe still doesn't. It isn't fair to judge Harry based on the opinoin of one person.

Harry was a character, and it does not surprise me that he had an enemy or two in his colorful life. The reality is that most people he worked with liked him, and he was certainly beloved by many fans on the north and south sides of Chicago. One nasty book isn't going to change all of that.

TDog
02-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Harry was a character, and it does not surprise me that he had an enemy or two in his colorful life. The reality is that most people he worked with liked him, and he was certainly beloved by many fans on the north and south sides of Chicago. One nasty book isn't going to change all of that.

I am guessing you never met Harry Caray. I did, and I'm guessing Steelrod did.

I know a lot of people who knew Harry Caray who believed him to be a dirtbag. The reason he made a long list of enemies was not because he led a colorful life, but because he was a dirtbag.

StillMissOzzie
02-11-2006, 12:47 AM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:R4eRIUCrCWecaM:http://campaign.slu.edu/images/busch.jpg

That picture is just begging for one of you Photoshop maestros to put a pair of big-framed black glasses on.

SMO
:gulp:

Steelrod
02-11-2006, 02:32 AM

I know a lot of people who knew Harry Caray who believed him to be a dirtbag. The reason he made a long list of enemies was not because he led a colorful life, but because he was a dirtbag.
You are correct. To have known him is to dislike him. The only two who knew him well and praised him were Piersall and Stone, whom Harry created.

Tragg
02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Hamilton is egotistical, insufferable announcer.

Hitmen77
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
A former Sox employee praises Harry in a letter to the Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0602110130feb11,1,6008283.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

jehosaphat
02-11-2006, 09:09 PM

You are right, I never met him. It is a free country and you have every right to personally like whoever you want, and dislike whoever you want. But, I don't think you can't claim to have the final word that trumps all others just because you knew him.

I know someone who knew Harry very, very well, and this guy thought highly of him. This guy is a good guy in every way. Good father, good neighbor, good community citizen, etc. However, before this deteriorates to the old "I knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this other guy .....", I concede that some people liked Harry and some people didn't. Some people thought he was a great guy, others thought he was a jerk. My guess is that the same thing could be said for Harrelson (although I've never met him either). Aren't there a lot of people in the world that some people like and others don't?

In my opinion, Harry was a great baseball announcer. He made the game more fun to watch or to listen to, and I always found him to be knowledgable and fair minded, and yes, a little bit kooky. I'll always have fond memories of him calling the Sox games. It seems indisputable that there are many fans on the north and south sides, as well as in St. Louis, who thought he was a great announcer - a great "voice of the summer."

Whether or not he was an honorable man is immaterial to his talent as a baseball announcer.

TDog
02-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Whether or not he was an honorable man is immaterial to his talent as a baseball announcer.

And when he was with the White Sox, the team used to get stacks of letters with complaints about him.

You can't say the same for John Rooney.