PDA

View Full Version : Another Lefty in the Mix

Banix12
02-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Tribune reporting that the sox have invited Left-hander Armando Almanza to spring training

Trib Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060209soxsep,1,7865758.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

career stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-sox/baseball/player.cgi?2026)

More experience than most of the options the sox have brought in but it seems like you pretty much know what you are going to get from him. At best an average LOOGY.

delben91
02-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Seems like the Sox are just going to throw these 4 or 5 LOOGY candidates against the proverbial wall to see what sticks.

bennyw41
02-10-2006, 08:38 AM
What is LOOGY mean again? Also, where is the glossery in this?

DiGiSyKo
02-10-2006, 08:59 AM
What is LOOGY mean again? Also, where is the glossery in this?
Lefty One Out GuY

soxinem1
02-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I don't know, I remember this guy sort of being sort of an under achiever. He seemed to have real good stuff and could blow people away, but once someone hits a ball hard he becomes tentative. I think stuff-wise he's about as good as Marte.

He reminds me of that guy the Orioles used to have, Brad Pennington. He had the ability to KO the side, lefty or righty, and walk the bases loaded in the same inning, lefty or righty.

Maybe lightning in the bottle will happen here.

I still say we should have went after Chris Hammond. The Reds only paid him 750K, I believe.

DaleJRFan
02-10-2006, 10:01 AM
2005: 3 walks, 5 hits and a solo home run in 4 IP? :o: Yikes.

Let's hope he pulls an Ozuna. :cool:

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-10-2006, 03:38 PM
He's just another option. I thinks its a good idea to get as many guys as you can to compete for one spot.

KRS1
02-10-2006, 03:40 PM
2005: 3 walks, 5 hits and a solo home run in 4 IP? :o: Yikes.

Let's hope he pulls an Ozuna. :cool:

Funny you should mention Pablo, because he was included in the Marlins trade of Rentaria to St.Louis. They played together in both the Marlins and the Cards system.

BTW, does anyone know if Armando has his heater back, I know he probably still throws that slow long curve almost like Zito's.

KRS1
02-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Something weird I found on KFFL, it says the Cards signed him to a Minor League contract in August. Is there some rule that allows players to void MLC's if a better offer comes their way?

sox1970
02-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Something weird I found on KFFL, it says the Cards signed him to a Minor League contract in August. Is there some rule that allows players to void MLC's if a better offer comes their way?

That was in August. He probably was not offered a contract after the season ended and became a free agent again.

But to answer your question, no you're not allowed to void a contract if a better offer comes later.

KRS1
02-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Luke Hudson just got DFA'd today to make room for Gosling on the Reds. Het throws some mid-90's chedder and couldnt be much worse than the guys were trying out now. Any thoughts? (Other than if he can't make the Reds why would we want him) Forgot he was a righty and this is a thread baout lefties, man I have some serious brain gas today.