PDA

View Full Version : Fogg in high altitude?

Huisj
02-09-2006, 09:56 PM
The Rockies are apparently close to signing Josh Fogg (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2325114). Seems kind of nuts. I know they generally have no pitching anyway, but doesn't he seem like exactly the opposite of the kind of pitcher who might be able to succeed there? Soft tosser who throws junk and needs good control. Sounds like a 6.83 ERA waiting to happen.

Banix12
02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
It's hard to say what can work in Colorado. So far not much.

I wouldn't give Fogg much of a chance but what the hey. I still kind of think he should be in the bullpen, I wonder what they will use him as.

SoxSpeed22
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Looks like both of us lost on that trade, now.

Banix12
02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Looks like both of us lost on that trade, now.

Even with the poor season last year, Kip Wells still makes that trade a win for the Pirates. Though certainly it now looks a better than it did the first half of 2002 when Josh Fogg was pitching so well.

soxinem1
02-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Even with the poor season last year, Kip Wells still makes that trade a win for the Pirates. Though certainly it now looks a better than it did the first half of 2002 when Josh Fogg was pitching so well.

True. Wells has a ML arm at least and has done something. Even his poor 2005 was better than Ritchie's 2002 in Chicago.

As far as Fogg, I think he is a gogetter, but I remember the scouting reports when he was here. He was projected as a middle man because he didn't have the stuff to be a consistent starter.

He did do good in relief here, albeit for a dozen or so innings. Maybe he needs a role change. I'd take him as a long man again.

samram
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
It's hard to say what can work in Colorado. So far not much.

I guess I would look for guys that are very good at changing speeds and have pinpoint control. I mean, everyone wants that, but it seems to me that breaking balls are simply rendered ineffective there, so you better have a good fastball and a really good change.

I would also say that the Rockies should have three very fast outfielders. The biggest problem at Coors isn't necessarily the homeruns- it's that outfielders have to play so deep that a lot of balls can drop in. Maybe speedsters in the OF can neutralize that a bit.

soxfan26
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
"I think it's an organization on the way," Fogg said of the Rockies.

:rolling:

Looks like he's having some trouble adjusting to the altitude.

Huisj
02-09-2006, 11:53 PM
I guess I would look for guys that are very good at changing speeds and have pinpoint control. I mean, everyone wants that, but it seems to me that breaking balls are simply rendered ineffective there, so you better have a good fastball and a really good change.

I would also say that the Rockies should have three very fast outfielders. The biggest problem at Coors isn't necessarily the homeruns- it's that outfielders have to play so deep that a lot of balls can drop in. Maybe speedsters in the OF can neutralize that a bit.

The only time I can recall seeing breaking balls work in Colorado was the game Freddy Garcia pitched there last summer. He gave up a three-run homer in the first, and after that he was unhittable, and part of it was that his curve was just wicked. It was shocking to watch that happen in that stadium.

Realist
02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
The only time I can recall seeing breaking balls work in Colorado was the game Freddy Garcia pitched there last summer. He gave up a three-run homer in the first, and after that he was unhittable, and part of it was that his curve was just wicked. It was shocking to watch that happen in that stadium.

I think that was a huge game for the Sox last year and it's rarely mentioned when discussing the highlights of White Sox 2005 season.

caulfield12
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
True. Wells has a ML arm at least and has done something. Even his poor 2005 was better than Ritchie's 2002 in Chicago.

As far as Fogg, I think he is a gogetter, but I remember the scouting reports when he was here. He was projected as a middle man because he didn't have the stuff to be a consistent starter.

He did do good in relief here, albeit for a dozen or so innings. Maybe he needs a role change. I'd take him as a long man again.

Wasn´t he a closer in college, maybe at the Univ. of Florida?

miker
02-10-2006, 03:48 PM
True, but pitching against the Rockies helped too!

soxinem1
02-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Wasn´t he a closer in college, maybe at the Univ. of Florida?

Yes, I believe he set a school save record his JR or SR year...

I think he'd be better off in the pen again.