PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Public Editor (ombudsman)Don Wycliff to leave paper

Fenway
02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Don Wycliff, public editor of the Chicago Tribune and an alumnus of the University of Notre Dame, has been appointed associate vice president for news and information at the University, according to Hilary Crnkovich, vice president for public affairs and communication.
Wycliff’s appointment is effective March 13.

http://newsinfo.nd.edu/content.cfm?topicid=15742&seltopicid=3427

gobears1987
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
It's about freaking time that he left.

The Big Squirt
02-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I thought his article today was very good. IMHO

ondafarm
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
More than once he's responded to my email with very much taunting and even marginally abusive emails. I suppose he thinks I should be thankful that he responds at all.

voodoochile
02-09-2006, 11:07 PM
He was always good for a laugh...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=819029&postcount=266

santo=dorf
02-09-2006, 11:50 PM
"New employer beware."

tebman
02-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Well, good for him. I've written to him a few times about the Tribune's conflict of interest in owning the Cubs, as well as other topics, and the responses I've gotten back have been one-liners, all variations on "thanks for writing."

It was never clear to me what his purpose was except to wring his hands every so often about how tough it is to be a great metropolitan newspaper. Thanks, Clark Kent, for your insight. :rolleyes:

Bah. In one of our Great Debates with George Knue, I referred to the Tribune as a house of mirrors where writers and editors spend their time congratulating themselves on their good fortune in being themselves. Bully! The Colonel would be proud! Wycliff's "public editor" title gave them cover, I suppose.

Maybe the Trib can hire David Spade from the Capital One commercials to take Wycliff's place. He could save time by just answering "No" to every question about the Tribune's self-regard and Cub-fan pandering.

Hangar18
02-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, good for him. I've written to him a few times about the Tribune's conflict of interest in owning the Cubs, as well as other topics, and the responses I've gotten back have been one-liners, all variations on "thanks for writing."

It was never clear to me what his purpose was except to wring his hands every so often about how tough it is to be a great metropolitan newspaper. Thanks, Clark Kent, for your insight. :rolleyes:

Bah. In one of our Great Debates with George Knue, I referred to the Tribune as a house of mirrors where writers and editors spend their time congratulating themselves on their good fortune in being themselves. Bully! The Colonel would be proud! Wycliff's "public editor" title gave them cover, I suppose.

Maybe the Trib can hire David Spade from the Capital One commercials to take Wycliff's place. He could save time by just answering "No" to every question about the Tribune's self-regard and Cub-fan pandering.

:roflmao: Post of the week

mjharrison72
02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Everything I ever read of his, and I'll admit I've probably only read four or five of his columns, seemed very defensive of the paper. If you're going to hire a "public editor," the person should at least do some soul searching and admit the paper's faults and what is in place to make sure they are trying to correct these faults.

It always struck me that he would print people's complaints and accusations, then explain why the complainers were in the wrong. Caveat lector, indeed! Good riddance, Wycliff! Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you! Enjoy working somewhere where your job will be more of a PR spinster than a supposed "real" journalist.

EDIT: Just read his column today, and it's about what I would expect him to say on the issue. Everything he prints is supportive of the editorial board and the paper's policies, rather than really considering whether might have done the wrong thing.

daveeym
02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
More than once he's responded to my email with very much taunting and even marginally abusive emails. I suppose he thinks I should be thankful that he responds at all. Every editorial he writes is the same way. Don't question me you peons. We're the tribune our decisions are THE decisions. Just an ass as far as I'm concerned. I hate Eric Zorn but the one thing I do enjoy from him is his articles contradicting and calling out some of the trib's editorials and decisions.

woodenleg
02-10-2006, 11:41 AM
More than once he's responded to my email with very much taunting and even marginally abusive emails. I suppose he thinks I should be thankful that he responds at all.

You're kidding. What on earth did he say? Doesn't sound professional to me.

Dan Mega
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
So he is going from PR for one overhyped team to doing PR for yet another overhyped team. We'll still get his crap in the form of college football now.

TommyJohn
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Every editorial he writes is the same way. Don't question me you peons. We're the tribune our decisions are THE decisions. Just an ass as far as I'm concerned. I hate Eric Zorn but the one thing I do enjoy from him is his articles contradicting and calling out some of the trib's editorials and decisions.

That's how I see his writing too. "It is a privilege to get the news from
people as great as us, peasants. Now go wallow in your mediocrity while
we bask in the glow of our greatness. And don't you dare ever question
how we choose to bring you the news. Of course, I understand that
you're all frustrated that you aren't as great as me."

1951Campbell
02-10-2006, 01:12 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=819029&postcount=266

Ah, my one and only McGrath Trophy!

miker
02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
That's how I see his writing too. "It is a privilege to get the news from
people as great as us, peasants. Now go wallow in your mediocrity while
we bask in the glow of our greatness. And don't you dare ever question
how we choose to bring you the news. Of course, I understand that
you're all frustrated that you aren't as great as me."
Wow, he's a perfect fit for Notre Dame...

(There, that should ruffle some feathers.:wink: )

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by voodoochile

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...&postcount=266 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=819029&postcount=266)
Ah, my one and only McGrath Trophy!

That headline ought to be Don Wycliff's epitaph at the Cubune. A real classic...

:thumbsup:

Mr. White Sox
02-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I personally really enjoy reading the ESPN Ombudsman's columns. He could be a bit more critical (as I hate ESPN), but he is a good example of what an Ombudsman should be doing: CRITICIZING THE DAMN PUBLICATION instead of backing up every facet of its being.