PDA

View Full Version : Metrodome Question

SouthSideHitman
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking of heading up the Twin Cities way in May and seeing the Sox when I'm there. I'm probably gonna go to the noon getaway game on Monday and I'm thinking that there probably won't be too many people there. My question is this - would I probably be able to buy cheap tickets in leftfield and do a little "upgrade" after a few innings or are the ushers there probably gonna be checking tickets, etc. Anyone who has been to games there and could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

sox1970
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking of heading up the Twin Cities way in May and seeing the Sox when I'm there. I'm probably gonna go to the noon getaway game on Monday and I'm thinking that there probably won't be too many people there. My question is this - would I probably be able to buy cheap tickets in leftfield and do a little "upgrade" after a few innings or are the ushers there probably gonna be checking tickets, etc. Anyone who has been to games there and could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

I've been there a few times. First bit of advice--don't enter the dome until about 10 minutes before the game starts. It's an awful facility to watch a game. Do some neck stretching before the game, because the seats don't face the infield. As for upgrading your seat, you should be ok to move around after the first couple innings. I don't recall a ton of security. I'll be there May 12. Go Sox.

cleanwsox
02-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Just don't buy an upper deck ticket and expect to get down to the lower level... ala the Cell. You should be able to move around though in the lower bowl. The ushers may check tickets for awhile but you can always be a little sneaky if your group isnt that big.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I've only been there once and bought my tickets in advance. There actually was a pretty decent crowd on hand. It was a great game; it was the one where we swept them in '04, great duel between garland and santana.

Anyway I didn't think it was that bad as everyone says. I had good seats for cheap. The crowd was friendly. The food was decent. A weird point, they served both miller and budweiser products.

The one thing that was weird when you walk out of the place when you see a day game you get a funny feeling. Kind of like when you see a movie during the day and when you get outside it's all bright. Also since the dome is pressurized your ears pop on the way out and the rush of air throws you out of the stadium.

It's different and fun to experience.

roylestillman
02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
That push out of the doors is the goofiest (out of a number of goofy things) about that dome. If you really want a great baseball experience in the Twin City, go and see the St. Paul Saints. They often outdraw the Twinkies.

MUsoxfan
02-09-2006, 04:08 PM
That push out of the doors is the goofiest (out of a number of goofy things) about that dome. If you really want a great baseball experience in the Twin City, go and see the St. Paul Saints. They often outdraw the Twinkies.

Is that Mike Veeck's team?

roylestillman
02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I think Veeck and Bill Murray still have a part of it. Its been a while since I was there. Great book aboutthe Saints called "Slouching toward Fargo" - actually one of the greatest baseball books ever.

soxinem1
02-09-2006, 04:39 PM

The St. Paul Saints are the ORIGINAL White Sox, right?

IlliniSox4Life
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
The St. Paul Saints are the ORIGINAL White Sox, right?

From Wikipedia:
Founded: 1893 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1893_in_sports), as the Sioux City, Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_City%2C_Iowa) franchise in the minor Western League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_League_%28U.S._baseball%29). Moved to St. Paul, Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul%2C_Minnesota) in 1895 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1895_in_sports), then to Chicago in 1900 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_in_sports) when that league was renamed the American League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_League), and which became a major league in 1901 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1901_in_sports).Formerly known as: Sioux City Cornhuskers, 1894. St. Paul Saints, 1895-1899. "White Sox" is short for "White Stockings".

MUScholar21
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Last year, my buddy and I drove up for that 11:15a game that wasn't on TV-we figured if it wasn't going to be on TV, we might as well see it in person. The stadium SUCKS. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you are going because you haven't been there, and you want to go before they take a wrecking ball to it, I won't begrudge you. Just don't expect much.

The way I got tickets was to keep an eye on ebay, and I also posted at Craigslist in Minneapolis and Chicago. Some people might be selling them already, so check the other posts on craigslist.

I remembered the ushers checking tickets pretty much every time my friend and I got up and came back. I think, however, this was because it was a large crowd due to Santana pitching. If Santana isn't pitching, I got the impression most of the people there wouldn't have been. Otherwise, I would just try and buy them whenever their individual game tickets go on sale, it sure as hell won't sell out.

UofCSoxFan
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
By far the worst place I've been to to watch a baseball game. I've been there for a Vikings-Bears game (Grossman injury debacle) and its not that bad since football is what it is designed for.

That being said as crappy as the park is, the low crowds hurt the experiance as much as anything.....Ive been there when it was full (during the 91 season) and it not great but not terrible.

cwsfannick
02-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I was up to see the Sept 05 series. The stadium is not much to rave about. I kept on losing the foul balls against the background of the roof.

The Twins fans were extremely friendly and polite. Hardly heard any cursing. From what I could tell the fans were into the game, but they go ga ga over santana and mauer.

I did like the idea of the block party setup outside the stadium.

I flew up to Minny and stayed downtown. I found it easy to get around on the light rail system that operates between the airport and downtown and the mall.

I have to say I had a positive experience and I would go again. I may possiblly try to make it up for the series in May.

Bobbo35
02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
What my buddy and I did was bought tickets in the left field and walked around to the lower box seats and had no problem. The ushers do check tickets at the entrance to the section. That place is a dump. I will be there there though.

SouthSideHitman
02-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the preview, all. I'm going up because I get out of school that week and I've made a bunch of friends from the cities who were baseball neutral but I converted to Sox fans this October and, I figure what better way to celebrate the end of school than by taking these newfound Sox fans to their first game right in their hometown. I've never been to a dome so it should be fun, if in nothing more than a sort of scientific curiosity way. And I'm planning on going on the getaway day, I figure Monday at noon won't be a big crowd, so it sounds like we should be able to use our stealth to upgrade our outfield seats.

TheGipper
02-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I've been to many games there and it sucks. The sound system is horrible and the view sucks as well. I have been to about 15 games there over the last 2 seasons, best friend lived there, and we always got the Upper GA seats for like $6 and than just walked around and when something good happens just sneak to your preferred seats. I think the only time we had trouble getting seats was when the Yankees are in town.

If your an autographer this is by far the easiest place to score some graphs. Go to the side of the stadium where you buy tickets and get to the game about 2 hours early and the players walk right by you. The cabs drop the players off and they are very approachable and very cool about autographs.