PDA

View Full Version : MLBPA prepares for work stoppage

SouthSide_HitMen
02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spbase044613417feb04,0,6653644.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

With Major League Baseball entering the final year of its collective-bargaining agreement, the Players Association is preparing a war chest in case of a strike or lockout.

According to a union memo obtained by Newsday, players will not receive their standard licensing revenue this spring. The estimated full share available (for players who spent the entire 2005 season in the major leagues) is $33,675.03; it will go into a contingency fund.

spiffie
02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
:darkcloud:

All the more reason to play for this year, just in case there is no 2007. I imagine there will be, but you never know.

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spbase044613417feb04,0,6653644.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

With Major League Baseball entering the final year of its collective-bargaining agreement, the Players Association is preparing a war chest in case of a strike or lockout.

According to a union memo obtained by Newsday, players will not receive their standard licensing revenue this spring. The estimated full share available (for players who spent the entire 2005 season in the major leagues) is $33,675.03; it will go into a contingency fund.

Can someone link up the old thread, a number of us said the 4 year minimum was BOGUS and was simply baseballs way of avoiding bad vibes (9/11 just happened). It was baseballs way of saying, "i'll get you after school"

WSox597
02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Man, sounds like another '94. Win it again this year, guys.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
My opinion is that after the concessions forced upon the MLBPA in the 2002 potential strike due to fan and media pressure they are going to be looking to get even this time around.

The situation with congress and the drug testing also left a bad taste in some of their mouths.

Throw in the possibility of contraction by the owners (Carl Pohland's Twins situation was in the news again this week) and this could be an ugly situation / confrontation.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
My opinion is that after the concessions forced upon the MLBPA in the 2002 potential strike due to fan and media pressure they are going to be looking to get even this time around.

The situation with congress and the drug testing also left a bad taste in some of their mouths.

Throw in the possibility of contraction by the owners (Carl Pohland's Twins situation was in the news again this week) and this could be an ugly situation / confrontation.

LipI disagree. Fehr may be smarting over getting bent over on drug testing, but I don't see any big demands the MLBPA can make. It seems to me that a status quo agreement is in the cards. The owners seem to have given up on the idea of a salary cap. They're making record amounts of money and they've decided that extrating ransom payments from local governments is easier than fighting with the union.

jdm2662
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
You knew Donnie Boy was going to do something like this once the steriod policy was re-opened, twice... He wants his revenge for looking like a total ass during the Congree hearings. For the amount of money average/below average pitchers are getting nowadays, you'd think that be enough to say the players are doing well. I also doubt the owners will try to pull their garbage like they had it the past. It's well documented the record attendence and revenue stream baseball is getting. It also doesn't help a team like the Twins, one of those so called teams that can't compete, won three straight division titles recently. So, in reality, both sides should be satifisied with how the state of baseball is. Then again, what do I know. I'm just some stupid fan that knows nothing about the game or business, at least in the eyes of the people involved...

SouthSide_HitMen
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
For the amount of money average/below average pitchers are getting nowadays, you'd think that be enough to say the players are doing well. I also doubt the owners will try to pull their garbage like they had it the past.

Never underestimate the garbage baseball owners will try to pull.

:veeck

"Owners have been engaged in garbage since the game was founded."

:comiskey

"Yes, but no matter how cheap I am portrayed, I've never asked government to build me a ball park despite the fact I had no radio, TV, merchandise or internet revenue when I built Comiskey Park in 1910."

:biged

"Yes but you did ask us to clean our own uniforms."

:tool

"We lose billions each year. Brother, can you spare a stadium (or 30)."

Despite the record income taken in by all parties over the last CBA, I believe this man will make an appearance and there will be a large rumble.

http://www.awcable.com/images/specials/lingerie_bowl/2005/buffer_michael.jpg