PDA

View Full Version : Sox on Oprah

Sox35th
02-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Sox players on Oprah in about five min. 9:25a.m. Also the replay will be on tonight @ 11:00p.m.

chisoxfanatic
02-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Who's gonna be there? And, is it just as nice of a little spot as when they originally appeared on Oprah late last October?

Martinigirl
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
I just turned it on. Did I miss it?

jenn2080
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I have been watching it and have not saw anything

SSSoxFan
02-09-2006, 10:20 AM
They were on.....it was Pods and Buehrle. You can read about it on her site.

http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
They were on.....it was Pods and Buehrle. You can read about it on her site.

http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml (http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml)

Today, were going to have, from the WOrld Champion Chicago White Sox,
Scott Buehrle and Mark Podsednik !!!! (under her breath-"which one of you is Scott Buehrle?")

Martinigirl
02-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Regardless of whether on not you like Oprah, it was very sweet. The man they gave the gifts to was overwhelmed by all of it.

And from a PR standpoint, it made the Sox look great.

robiwho
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
My mother just called to tell me that they were on so I could tape the replay tonight. She said they were on in the last 15 minutes of the show.

This made me laugh: she told me, "That Mark Buehrle is really cute." "Really?" I said, "Most women usually think Scott's the cute one." Her response: "Oh no, he's ok, but Mark's much cuter." (Gotta love mom.)

Steelrod
02-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Regardless of whether on not you like Oprah, it was very sweet. The man they gave the gifts to was overwhelmed by all of it.

And from a PR standpoint, it made the Sox look great.
The guy deserved it, and more.
What an unbelievable and unselfish gesture. I'm glad the Sox could do something nice for a person like that! There ARE things more important than money or tickets!

jenn2080
02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
There were no words to decribe the feeling that guy must have felt. I thought he was going to cry. In fact it looked like he was tearing up...who can blame him. What a selfless thing he did. Burls did most of the talking. Pods looked a tad bit nervous. It is fantastic that they recognized him for his generousity.

Blob
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
What an unbelievable and unselfish gesture. I'm glad the Sox could do something nice for a person like that! There ARE things more important than money or tickets!

Great, the Sox are doing things for people when they should been finishing the seat replacement!

kevin57
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
From the pic, it looks like PODS' new wife has been working on his hair-do

Soxfanspcu11
02-09-2006, 11:23 AM
There were no words to decribe the feeling that guy must have felt. I thought he was going to cry. In fact it looked like he was tearing up...who can blame him. What a selfless thing he did. Burls did most of the talking. Pods looked a tad bit nervous. It is fantastic that they recognized him for his generousity.

I didn't see this episode, but isn't the guy they gave the stuff to a member of this board or friends with a member of this board?

I remember someone starting a thread about this a few months ago and someone said that they new Pods and Burls would be on because he was the guy or friends with the guy.

Also, to the poster who said that their mother said Burls was cute, I have a female friend who is a huge baseball fan and actually a Red Sox fan, but she told me that she thinks the Sox (White) have the best looking team in baseball.

I'm slightly embarrassed to being saying that, as a guy and all but I just thought I would mention that:redface: .

But that's a good thing anyways because now we can pack Comiskey with a bunch of girls that think the Sox are hot. This will totally make us more popular now, and of course we all know, Popularity determines your importance!
</IMG>

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Does someone mind telling us WHY the SOX were there, What the "guy" did to deserve a visit, and what they gave him?

Martinigirl
02-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Does someone mind telling us WHY the SOX were there, What the "guy" did to deserve a visit, and what they gave him?

He is from Tinley Park, a lifelong Sox fan, and he started a collection for Katrina victims. Once he was done collecting all the donations, he needed to rent a truck to deliver them and he didn't have enough money for the truck. He decided to sell his World Series tickets (I think he is a season ticket holder) to pay for the truck rental. He said he knew that the Katrina victims needed him more than he needed to see the game, or something like that.

He was presented with a jersey with his name on it. He will be throwing out the first pitch on Opening Day. He was also given a trip to Spring Training, the All Star Game and the Sox are paying for his season tickets.

The man looked like he was going to cry when he got the jersey, and was told he would be throwing out the first pitch. By the time the gave him the trips, he looked like he was about to faint. It was great to see, and he really did deserve it. It was nice to see someone rewarded for a totally selfless act.

Flight #24
02-09-2006, 11:46 AM
The story for those who missed it:

One of the heroes in attendance was Ryan, who had begun his own relief drive, collecting items in his garage. Ryan wanted to deliver the goods to the Gulf himself, but did not have the money to make the trip south.

Ryan did, however, have two tickets to see his beloved Chicago White Sox (http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200510/20051028/slide_20051028_350_201.jhtml) play in their first World Series in 88 years. A die-hard fan who says he's "watched probably every single White Sox game for the past five years," Ryan sold his tickets to pay for his trip to the Gulf region. The White Sox went on to win the Series.

"When I weighed the option of having a great time at this game while there were hundreds of thousands of people in the Gulf that were suffering, it seemed like an easy decision to me," Ryan says.

Many people were touched by Ryan's story, including two very special people: Mark Buehrle and Scott Podsednik from the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox! Mark and Scott want to show their appreciation for what Ryan gave up to help those in need.

First, these Sox reps give Ryan a White Sox jersey—with his name on it! "It's not over—it gets better," Mark says. "We'd like you to wear that on opening day! We'd like you to come out and throw the first pitch at opening day!

Mark and Scott have more news for Ryan—before opening day, Ryan and a guest will be flown to White Sox spring training in Tucson, Arizona—to work out with the team!

Ryan is also now an official part of the White Sox family. Scott presents Ryan with the organization's Roland Hemond Award, which recognizes those who give of themselves for the benefit of others. "As a recipient of this award, the White Sox are going to fly you and a guest to the 2006 All-Star Game in Pittsburgh," Scott says.

And as a coup de grace, the White Sox are going to pay for Ryan's season tickets this season!

wilburaga
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Seeing the Sox being portrayed in a positive light in the media reminds me of a phrase I have yet to hear - 'Bring back Gallas!'

W

anotherDCsoxfan
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but do his season tickets come with playoff seats???

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Seeing the Sox being portrayed in a positive light .....

W

Yeah, but what they didnt tell you is hes sitting in a blue seat this year

MillerSoxFan
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, but do his season tickets come with playoff seats???

:roflmao:

WikdChiSoxFan
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Note to self:
Purchase season tickets
Give season tickets away for Katrina Relief

That's a pretty awesome story. I'm not sure how I would have handled that decision if I was in that situation.

Hokiesox
02-09-2006, 01:12 PM
But that's a good thing anyways because now we can pack Comiskey with a bunch of girls that think the Sox are hot. This will totally make us more popular now, and of course we all know, Popularity determines your importance!
</IMG>

Though that can also mean WGN will only show the "assets" instead of showing baseball.

I'd rather see baseball when I tune into a Sox game.

Dolly
02-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I didn't see this episode, but isn't the guy they gave the stuff to a member of this board or friends with a member of this board?

I remember someone starting a thread about this a few months ago and someone said that they new Pods and Burls would be on because he was the guy or friends with the guy.I remember that too, but I thought it was a poster who knew they'd be on b/c his girlfriend was at the taping. He also had the opportunity to go with her and turned it down. That'll teach him next time!!!! :tongue:

Edit: found the thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64994&highlight=Oprah

robiwho
02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but what they didnt tell you is hes sitting in a blue seat this year

:rolling:

MsSoxVixen22
02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
When I talked to my Mom this afternoon she told me they were on. It's a great thing that guy did and kudos to the Sox for recognizing him and rewarding him. And I have to agree 100% with whoever said we have the best looking team in baseball! :wink:

Taliesinrk
02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
hey all,
I'm a bit confused by the show. The only oprah we get is at 4 here. I'm guessing that you local folk get oprah at a certain time, and then the national broadcast is later in the day (4 my time)??? If this is the case, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm wasting my time waiting for the Sox...
Is the show the Sox are on the same one with the baby that oprah helped delivered like 16 years ago???

jenn2080
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
hey all,
I'm a bit confused by the show. The only oprah we get is at 4 here. I'm guessing that you local folk get oprah at a certain time, and then the national broadcast is later in the day (4 my time)??? If this is the case, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm wasting my time waiting for the Sox...
Is the show the Sox are on the same one with the baby that oprah helped delivered like 16 years ago???

YOU are watching the right one and it will be on in the last 10 minutes of the show.

harwar
02-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Mark Buehrle & Pods

MasQbellesa
02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Had to wait until 3:45 PM Pacific Time to watch Oprah!

What a great story! That guy looked so surprise! Awesome!

kninchicago
02-10-2006, 12:07 AM
11 PM showing just wrapped up, very cute appearance by the two guys. That guy getting all the stuff was obviously trying his hardest to keep some semblance of "cool"--you could tell he wanted to both burst into tears of joy and bounce off the walls all at once. Heck I would have the same reaction. Mark's wife (I am guessing that was her they panned to when he referenced her) is very pretty--and I agree with the poster above who's mom found Mark the cuter of the two. His wife's a lucky woman :cool:.

soxfanatlanta
02-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Very nice thing to do: great press for everybody.

Did anybody else think that Pods looked like Robert Smith with the hair?

manders_01
02-10-2006, 09:19 AM
I went home yesterday after we had a lunch presentation in the office to tape it and when I got home to watch, all excited, it didn't record!!! This is the second time that I've not been able to record the Sox on Oprah!!! :angry:

rhill72
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
This guy and his dad walked over to our tailgating party during one of the ALDS games. He came over looking to see if we had an extra beer for his dad. We obviously gave them both a beer and talked sox baseball for a good hour. His dad was actually at the '59 World Series. The guy bought a split season package, being able to get 2 tickets to one of the World Series Games. He was saying that if we make it I will be taking my dad to the game. He was so damn excited. You could tell that they both were HUGE Sox fans. What a great gesture. I am happy for him. I about fell over When I saw him on Opera. Why was I watching Opera? Easy guys, my wife and I just had a baby girl and she was sitting there watching.:redface:

ChiSoxGirl
02-10-2006, 09:45 AM
I about fell over When I saw him on Opera. Why was I watching Opera? Easy guys, my wife and I just had a baby girl and she was sitting there watching.:redface:

:?: Oprah?

rhill72
02-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Guess I need to learn to spell Oprah. Whoops

Hangar18
02-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I am happy for him. I about fell over When I saw him on Opera. Why was I watching Opera?

I like watching live Jazz myself

thomas35forever
02-10-2006, 06:50 PM
[quote=rhill72]I about fell over When I saw him on Opera. Why was I watching Opera? quote]

And who doesn't enjoy watching a good old-fashioned chess match on TV when they get the chance?