PDA

View Full Version : Cubune really going out of it's way on this one...

WhiteSoxFan84
02-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Sosa proves in the spring he still has something left in his 37-year-old body, making the Nationals' Opening Day roster for about $1 million guaranteed. That would fill the outfield spot presumably taken already by Alfonso Soriano, who then might be expendable.

The Cubs long have had an interest in Soriano, but Washington came up with a better trade offer from the Rangers over the winter. So Soriano, a career second baseman, was dealt to the Nationals and promptly installed as the probable left fielder. He continues to insist he will not play the outfield, creating a National problem because Jose Vidro is their second baseman.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060208cubssosa,1,410762.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

:?:

Let me get this straight.... Sammy Sosa, the same guy who couldn't start for the Baltimore Orioles last year, is going to start in LF in Washington ahead of Alfonso Soriano and alongside Jose Guillen and Ryan Church? And then, after the Nationals realize that Sosa is a lot better than Soriano, they will then trade Alfonso to the Cubs for probably 2 single A pitchers? Oohh, NOW it makes sense.

................. is the guy from MLBtraderumors.com now writing for the Cubune???

On a side note, anyone else think Sosa will reach 2,300 strikeouts (currently at 2,194) before he reaches 600 home runs (currently at 588)?

The Critic
02-09-2006, 07:45 AM
On a side note, anyone else think Sosa will reach 2,300 strikeouts (currently at 2,194) before he reaches 600 home runs (currently at 588)?

Hadn't thought about it, wouldn't be surprised either way.
106 Ks before 12 HR is kind of a lot, though. He used to go in spurts where he'd get like 5 homers in a week, although I'm not sure he can do that anymore.

Craig Grebeck
02-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Pretty possible actually, considering Sosa actually possesses experience in the OF and Soriano has already displayed what a world-class POS he is by refusing to play anything but second base (a position he butchers). Sosa may be a shell of what he once was, but at least he will play out there.

Soriano's lack of cooperation makes him very expendable and with the Cubs having Neifi Perez slated at second base, a surplus of starters, and a need for some power, this would make sense.

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 09:24 AM
........ And then, after the Nationals realize that Sosa is a lot better than Soriano, they will then trade Alfonso to the Cubs for probably 2 single A pitchers? Oohh, NOW it makes sense.

................. is the guy from MLBtraderumors.com now writing for the Cubune???

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see the Tribune is Tampering Again. Nothing new to see here folks, the Trib has been "testing" the trade waters illicitly for the cubs for decades, and get away with it. This is totally something "handsome" Mike Kiley would peddle. Without having even looked at the link, I will be top dollar Cubs advance scout and sometime beat writer Paul "yellow" Sullivan wrote this didnt he?

mjharrison72
02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
[cubune shill]Yeah, and if, um, Roger Clemens, you know, the "Rocket," um, signs with the Red Sox, and, um, they want him to pitch in the bullpen and, um, he doesn't want to... the Red Sox might trade him to the Cubs.

So go ahead and make the headline "Clemens could be wearing Cubbie blue." [/cubune shill]

Jerko
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
C'mon go easy on the Tribune. They need SOMETHING to distract people from the fact that their new construction will NOT allow fans to watch the games for free from the sidewalk.

SOXPHILE
02-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Ahhhh...the Tribune. At it again. Or should I say "still". This time, it's longtime Cubbie schill, Dave Van Dyck. Me thinks the timing of this story is no coincidence. The folks at The Tower had to know that the latest revelations about the Urinal would probably not go over too well with the blue sheep. Bleacher seats for $20-$60 ?? The asinine prospect of putting a "knot-hole" in the outfield wall so folks on the streets can see in...WHOOPS !! Not during ACTUAL GAMES though. Oh no, they'll put up windscreens for that. It's so folks walking by when there isn't a game going on can look in. Oh, and those poor poor "ballhawks". You know, the grown men who stand for hours on end on a city street, with mitts and nets, hoping to snare a homerun that leaves the park ? Well, business might be slow this year, since the higher bleachers are going to keep many of those homeruns in the stadium. So, the Cubune runs a story that, somehow, some way, through 6 degrees of seperation, ALFONSO SORIANO MIGHT COME TO THE CUBS !!!!!! We'll be seeing more stories like this in the coming weeks. In the wake of the Sox winning the Series, it's been a winter of discontent for Cub-Dumb. The Trib is going to try and run as many positive stories as they can through spring training to keep hope alive and pacify the lemmings. I guess the only thing that surprises me, is that the article didn't mention that "sources tell us that Soriano has always wanted to play for the Cubs".

kittle42
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
This is an appropriate thread in which to note misuse of "its" in the title.

doublem23
02-09-2006, 11:48 AM
This is an appropriate thread in which to note misuse of "its" in the title.

That rule is the bane of my grammatical existence.

TheOldRoman
02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see the Tribune is Tampering Again. Nothing new to see here folks, the Trib has been "testing" the trade waters illicitly for the cubs for decades, and get away with it. This is totally something "handsome" Mike Kiley would peddle. Without having even looked at the link, I will be top dollar Cubs advance scout and sometime beat writer Paul "yellow" Sullivan wrote this didnt he?
This isn't tampering, this is just idle bull****. The same as the baseless Carlos Lee back to the Sox article Rogers wrote last week.
Tampering is them asking Carlos Beltran if he would play for the Cubs and what he thinks of the city. Tampering is them pelting Johnny Damon with questions about playing for the Cubs and their "winning tradition". This was not tampering because it isn't like they asked Soriano about it.

palehozenychicty
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
The Cubs and the Knicks should give birth to a new franchise. The Oklahoma City Hornets. They'll get a title before these pathetically run franchises.

delben91
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
That rule is the bane of my grammatical existence.

I concur. I can handle the "your, you're" and "there, their, they're" differences pretty easily. However, I always catch myself using "it's" and having to backspace and do "its." Somehow, it's not intuitive for me to type that word in its correct form.

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 12:51 PM
This isn't tampering, this is just idle bull****. The same as the baseless Carlos Lee back to the Sox article Rogers wrote last week.
Tampering is them asking Carlos Beltran if he would play for the Cubs and what he thinks of the city. Tampering is them pelting Johnny Damon with questions about playing for the Cubs and their "winning tradition". This was not tampering because it isn't like they asked Soriano about it.

Coming in Fridays Tribune......Paul Sullivan in-depth article with Alfonso Soriano. and Saturday, Q&A with Soriano and how being a Cub would be great for his career

Iwritecode
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM

They've done it before though. It's amazing how they can seperate and become just another newspaper from Chicago when they want to.

maurice
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Van Dyck = :smokin:

[Sosa] would fill the outfield spot presumably taken already by Alfonso Soriano

How is an OF spot "presumably taken" by Soriano, when Soriano tells anybody who will listen that he'd never even consider filling an OF spot? Unless Sosa is going to win the 2B job, he has absolutely nothing to do with Soriano.

slavko
02-09-2006, 07:19 PM

You're my man, Hangar, all over this stuff. All right, technically it isn't tampering because they didn't interview the player. Neither was it tampering when they were writing pieces last August trying to get the White Sox to bite on their next-to-useless Todd Walker (last piece of the puzzle, blah, blah, blah). It's an old story. The paper is an arm of the team's front office and marketing divisions. They're not even subtle about it.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Boy, this article is really a stretch, even by Cubune standards.:thud:

TomBradley72
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Let me get this straight.... Sammy Sosa, the same guy who couldn't start for the Baltimore Orioles last year, is going to start in LF in Washington ahead of Alfonso Soriano and alongside Jose Guillen and Ryan Church? And then, after the Nationals realize that Sosa is a lot better than Soriano, they will then trade Alfonso to the Cubs for probably 2 single A pitchers? Oohh, NOW it makes sense.

This will be part of an overall blockbuster that will also bring Carlos Lee back to Chicago and Rafael Palmeiro to the White Sox.

Whitesox029
02-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Neither. He'll play for two weeks and then quietly retire, forever disappearing into the abyss where all Sox fans have known he belongs since he hit .203 for us in 1991.

soxinem1
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
[cubune shill]Yeah, and if, um, Roger Clemens, you know, the "Rocket," um, signs with the Red Sox, and, um, they want him to pitch in the bullpen and, um, he doesn't want to... the Red Sox might trade him to the Cubs.

So go ahead and make the headline "Clemens could be wearing Cubbie blue." [/cubune shill]

I remember back in the 80's after Larry Parrish was cut by the Rangers, the times or trib said the Sox were going to trade Greg Walker (pre-seizure) to make room for him. These speculative transactions have been going on for years, especially when they throw 'sources' and discuss money.

In this case the trib knows the cub payroll first hand, so I guess their own writers are giving their employers guidance on how to screw the team up even further. Besides, I'd look forward to watching Soriano being late on DP pivots, dropping easy DP relays, and just outright weakening that team more. After all, Soriano puts the 'I' in team, bring him in.

Self implosion? Sounds good to me!!!

buehrle4cy05
02-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Hangar, I gotta hand it to you on the Paul "Yellow" Sullivan. Very creative.:cool:

Hangar18
02-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Hangar, I gotta hand it to you on the Paul "Yellow" Sullivan. Very creative.:cool:

Thanks!