PDA

View Full Version : Jenks Cover Story in Feb. 8 Sports Weekly

michned
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Bad Bobby is on the cover as part of the "100 Names You Need To Know" in baseball article. There is a two-page feature on him (I don't have a link and I don't think USA Today offers Sports Weekly features online), and the article talks about the unbelievably horrible childhood this guy had.

To paraphrase, he says he "hates" his parents and doesn't ever want them to be a part of his life. He basically had no discipline growing up, as his parents were prone to drinking and violence. He wound up under the tutelage of a baseball school owner in Seattle who took Bobby under his wing (and got him enrolled in high school, which he wasn't doing while living at home in Idaho).

Kenny Williams also credits Dave Wilder for putting his job on the line by strongly suggesting they call him up from Double A.

ChiSoxGirl
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
To paraphrase, he says he "hates" his parents and doesn't ever want them to be a part of his life. He basically had no discipline growing up, as his parents were prone to drinking and violence. He wound up under the tutelage of a baseball school owner in Seattle who took Bobby under his wing (and got him enrolled in high school, which he wasn't doing while living at home in Idaho).

Did you know his dad just died a couple weeks ago? That was the reason for his absence at SoxFest. Interesting that he said he "hates" his parents. For his sake, I hope he at least made peace with his dad before he died. :(:

Martinigirl
02-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I thought the initial report was incorrect and it was an uncle that actually passed away.

ChiSoxGirl
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I thought the initial report was incorrect and it was an uncle that actually passed away.

I heard it was his dad from the Channel 7 news sportscast on the Friday of SoxFest. I taped the coverage and watched it when I got home on Sunday, and that's what they said.

ewokpelts
02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
just think for a second about the importance of this cover story....big bobby bumped the steelers super bowl win off the cover....and possibly in every market except pittsburgh....
Gene

Rocky Soprano
02-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I heard it was his dad from the Channel 7 news sportscast on the Friday of SoxFest. I taped the coverage and watched it when I got home on Sunday, and that's what they said.

At SoxFest on Friday right before the opening ceremonies they said his uncle passed away.

So who knows...

santo=dorf
02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
At SoxFest on Friday right before the opening ceremonies they said his uncle passed away.

So who knows...

Maybe since Bobby didn't like his parents, he considered this late uncle his "father" or was a father like figure. :dunno:

palehozenychicty
02-09-2006, 12:12 PM
just think for a second about the importance of this cover story....big bobby bumped the steelers super bowl win off the cover....and possibly in every market except pittsburgh....
Gene

True dat. Let April 2nd begin!

Iwritecode
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM

So who knows...

They also said Garcia had "visa problems" in 2005...

Rocky Soprano
02-09-2006, 12:44 PM
They also said Garcia had "visa problems" in 2005...

That's a whole different issue. Visa problems and really being on a honeymoon or whatever it was is not the same about changing who died.

Rocky Soprano
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
FarSouthSoxFan,

You are not supposed to be pasting entire articles (its against the rules), only links.

FarSouthSoxFan
02-09-2006, 03:58 PM
FarSouthSoxFan,

You are not supposed to be pasting entire articles (its against the rules), only links.

I know, and I regret having to do it, but there is no link. For some reason, ESPN took it offline a couple years ago and never put it back up.

FarWestChicago
02-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I know, and I regret having to do it, but there is no link. For some reason, ESPN took it offline a couple years ago and never put it back up.They are gone. Try that again and you will be, too.