PDA

View Full Version : living outside Chicago, getting Sox on TV?

downstairs
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I may be moving down south sometime this year. I've never lived outside Chicago, and I've never really been interested in any non-Chicago team. The move would be to the New Orleans area.

I am curious if it is easy for me to get Sox games on TV? Doesn't DirecTV offer all Comcast channels for like $12? Any blackouts with that? WGN?

I'm not so interested in MLB.tv on the 'Net... the quality isn't as good...

soxfanatlanta
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
You will have to check your local cable provider, but you should be able to get a directtv/dish network package that carries chicago stations. If you are on the cheap, try XM satelite radio, then you can listen to the game anywhere (car, air-boat, etc)

downstairs
02-08-2006, 12:53 PM
You will have to check your local cable provider, but you should be able to get a directtv/dish network package that carries chicago stations. If you are on the cheap, try XM satelite radio, then you can listen to the game anywhere (car, air-boat, etc)

I have Dish right now, and I am pretty sure they don't offer any out-of-market Comcasts, etc. However, I've heard that DirectTV does (which makes sense, because Dish really s**ks).

IUPeterman
02-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I am a Chicago native, living in the Vegas area. I am also a DirecTV subscriber, and get sportsapack. i do get Comcast Chicago, but they do black-out live sports. I can't get live Sox or Bulls games. The only games I do get are WGN SUPERSTATION games. This means I do not game WGN games- yeah there's a difference between WGN SUPERSTATION and regular WGN.

If you are wanting the maximum # of games, get the extra innings package.

bobbythigpen
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I live in Milwaukee, and get the MLB Extra Innings package through Time Warner Cable. It's about $130 and you get every MLB game that's on cable anywhere. There's only a few Sox games that I didn't get last year, usually on Saturday afternoons when Fox had a blackout or games on WCIU that weren't on the other team's cable channel.

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I live in Milwaukee, and get the MLB Extra Innings package through Time Warner Cable. It's about $130 and you get every MLB game that's on cable anywhere. There's only a few Sox games that I didn't get last year, usually on Saturday afternoons when Fox had a blackout or games on WCIU that weren't on the other team's cable channel.

I'm getting that this year. They way I figure its about a dollar a Sox game plus you get to watch interesting games on off days. Its just a one time fee right? Or does it get split up with your monthly bill?

ondafarm
02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Folks,
if you think you've had trouble, some of the places I've been and tried to see White Sox games from:

Nagoya, Japan
Naha, Okinawa (actually not too hard, plenty of US Military about)
Dunedin, New Zealand (I think Sky Sports still has my name as a "problem causer".)
Antarctic Ocean (actually could get WGN when south of Chile)
Polar Flats, Alaska (WGN with no problems)
Thule, Greenland (good WGN reception, no problem getting ice for your drinks)
Harare, Zimbabwe (Sky Sports again)
Logrono, Spain (acceptable WGN reception)

bobbythigpen
02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Time Warner gives you the option of either paying it all up front or split it up evenly among four bills. Cost is the same. I split it up last year, but TWC's billing is messed up, so I was still getting billed for it in January and having to call every month and it the charge removed. It's a fun conversation telling a customer service rep that December is not baseball season.

Chicken Dinner
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I get the extra innings package in AZ from Cox Cable. The price is what has been stated ($130) and can be paid all at once or broken up into 4 payments. You won't be able to get the Fox Saturday games or the games that are on local broadcast stations by both teams (WCIU and the local Detroit station or a Canadian station for example). I did buy XM radio this year for just those cases and getaway days when I'm still at work. WGN only broadcasts about 1 game a week so that definitely wasn't enough.

eriqjaffe
02-08-2006, 01:25 PM
You could always subscribe to the MLB.com thing, and you can watch on your (or any) PC with a fast enough internet connection.

mjharrison72
02-08-2006, 01:27 PM
It's not the greatest, but there's also the MLB.com option, which costs less than $100, I think. Sometimes gets choppy, and you can't always get the Sox feed, which can get annoying. I would recommend it only as a last-ditch alternative.

samram
02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm getting that this year. They way I figure its about a dollar a Sox game plus you get to watch interesting games on off days. Its just a one time fee right? Or does it get split up with your monthly bill?

Either way. I was an MLBtv user until about August last season. I finally decided to get Extra Innings and it's way better. It's only about a fifty dollar difference too and I think the blackout rules are the same.

AZChiSoxFan
02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Either way. I was an MLBtv user until about August last season. I finally decided to get Extra Innings and it's way better. It's only about a fifty dollar difference too and I think the blackout rules are the same.

I've never had mlb.tv, but from what I've heard, you get a lot more games than you do on Extra Innings. I've previously had extra innings and you won't get any of the games on WCIU, nor any of the Sat games from late May - Aug (or whenever it is that Fox has the rights), nor any of the Wed night games (unless the Sox are on ESPN on Wed night).

eriqjaffe
02-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I think the best thing about mlb.tv is the fact that they archive the games, so you can watch them on your schedule...

manders_01
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Since I'm at work during the day (when many games are played), I use MLB GameDay Live. It gives a very detailed account. During the ALDS, I used it along with the MLB Radio. A little annoying cause the radio was a few seconds behind GameDay but never had a problem knowing what was going on.

Also, DISH has MLB Extra Innings and it also looks like you can get Comcast Chicago for 5.99 a month in any market.

downstairs
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I'd completely forgotten about Extra Innings... I will certainly get it...

What % of games do you get on Extra Innings? A few blackouts won't kill me... as long as I can get the sheer majority of games, I'm cool....

Chicken Dinner
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I'd completely forgotten about Extra Innings... I will certainly get it...

What % of games do you get on Extra Innings? A few blackouts won't kill me... as long as I can get the sheer majority of games, I'm cool....

I would say with extra innings, the ESPN games, and WGN, you would get about 94% of the games.

MarySwiss
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
I get the extra innings package in AZ from Cox Cable. The price is what has been stated ($130) and can be paid all at once or broken up into 4 payments. You won't be able to get the Fox Saturday games or the games that are on local broadcast stations by both teams (WCIU and the local Detroit station or a Canadian station for example). I did buy XM radio this year for just those cases and getaway days when I'm still at work. WGN only broadcasts about 1 game a week so that definitely wasn't enough.

Good to know! I had mlb.com on my laptop last year and will probably keep it, but I'd like to add the TV package.

Palehose13
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Same here. This will be my third(maybe my fourth...) season with the MLB extra innning package.

ViPeRx007
02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I'll throw in my vote for MLB.TV. I've gotten it 2 seasons in a row, and you get every Sox game. Otherwise I just have WGN Superstation and get a game a week or so. That's definately not enough to get my White Sox fix.

MLB.TV is well worth it in my opinion: Every single game for the entire regular season, pretty much lag-free...Plus, if you get a friend or 2 who would sign up with you, it can be a heck of a deal. Last season, I had one other friend go in on it with me, we had no problem logging on to the same account at the same time. Half the time, we weren't watching it at the same time anyway, so there wasn't much to worry about in that regard.

Around $80-$90 split in half....Not bad.

The only "problem" with MLB.TV is that the video quality isn't the best. It isn't bad, by any means, but they could make it better.

samram
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I've never had mlb.tv, but from what I've heard, you get a lot more games than you do on Extra Innings. I've previously had extra innings and you won't get any of the games on WCIU, nor any of the Sat games from late May - Aug (or whenever it is that Fox has the rights), nor any of the Wed night games (unless the Sox are on ESPN on Wed night).
You won't get games on Saturday with MLBtv either. I spent several frustrating afternoons when the Sox were on Saturday afternoons and I couldn't watch on mlbtv. I'm not sure what the story is on Wednesday nights- I don't recall any games that weren't on ESPN being blacked out on Extra Innings.

MiamiSpartan
02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
good luck seeing the Sox unless you get WGN....down here it's always the Braves, Yankees or Red Sox...when a midwest team makes it, it's usually the scrubs....:angry:

SouthSideHitman
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
As a college student living where I get Milwaukee cable but ESPN still blacks out White Sox games as being "local" I was forced to get MLBtv and I would urge you to avoid this, if possible. Even with good internet, it can get choppy (the worst is when the audio lags behind or vice versa) and besides that, it's just not the same watching game on a small part of a computer screen. One thing I will say is that they generally do have most of the games, when the Sox are on WCIU, they normally pick up the other team's FSN or whatever connection. Despite this, I have no alternative here in the dorm so for April, half of May and September it's MLBtv and pray for WGN.

gowhitesox
02-09-2006, 12:04 AM
I am in San Antonio and between WGN and ESPN, I get a good number of games.

mmmmmbeeer
02-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Extra Innings. You won't regret it.

Jurr
02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Same here. This will be my third(maybe my fourth...) season with the MLB extra innning package.
Same here. It came in extra handy when it came down to Cleveland and the Sox. It's so great for a pennant race. Plus, if you just finished watching a Sox game and don't want to stop watching baseball just yet, you can pick up a west coast game. Perfect.

IndySox
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
It depends on what you mean when you say you are heading South. If by that you mean that you are moving south to Indianapolis, you are screwed. Indianapolis is considered part of the Sox media market. (It's also considered part of the Cubs and Reds markets.) Therefore, all Sox games are blacked out in Indianapolis both on the ExtraInnings package and on MLBtv. So we Indianapolis Sox fans are stuck with WGN, ESPn, and the occasional Fox Saturday game.

downstairs
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
It depends on what you mean when you say you are heading South. If by that you mean that you are moving south to Indianapolis, you are screwed. Indianapolis is considered part of the Sox media market. (It's also considered part of the Cubs and Reds markets.) Therefore, all Sox games are blacked out in Indianapolis both on the ExtraInnings package and on MLBtv. So we Indianapolis Sox fans are stuck with WGN, ESPn, and the occasional Fox Saturday game.

New Orleans :cool:

Although I could see goofy ol' Bud thinking that's part of the Sox/Cubs market...

delben91
02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I would say with extra innings, the ESPN games, and WGN, you would get about 94% of the games.

I agree with this. It might even be more than that. I think I didn't miss more than 6 or 7 games all of last season.

MLB Extra Innings is a godsend in my opinion. :gulp:

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2006, 11:37 AM
New Orleans :cool:

Per the MLB website (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#) New Orleans is in both the Rangers and Astros markets. Thus, when the Sox play both teams this year, the games will be blacked out for you on Directv. Now, it's entirely possible that whatever regional Fox Sports Net you get in NO will show Astros and/or Rangers games, so you may get them this way. Of course, it's also possible that the regional FSN shows Braves games, in which case you are hosed for the Sox games.

downstairs
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Per the MLB website (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#) New Orleans is in both the Rangers and Astros markets. Thus, when the Sox play both teams this year, the games will be blacked out for you on Directv. Now, it's entirely possible that whatever regional Fox Sports Net you get in NO will show Astros and/or Rangers games, so you may get them this way. Of course, it's also possible that the regional FSN shows Braves games, in which case you are hosed for the Sox games.

Doesn't bother me a bit... I plan on trying to go to the entire Houston/Sox series...

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I agree with this. It might even be more than that. I think I didn't miss more than 6 or 7 games all of last season.

MLB Extra Innings is a godsend in my opinion. :gulp:

I disagree. You won't get any of the games on WCIU, on Directv. Plus, you won't get any of the Fox Saturday afternoon games from late May through the end of the season. Just going by last year's schedule, that accounts for 31 games, or 19%. Also, a lot of people not living in IL are surprised to find out that they are in the (insert team name here) "local" market. For example, if you live in Las Vegas, you are in the Angels market, so you won't get any of the Sox-angels games on Extra Innings.

Extra Innings is still a good deal, IMO, it's just that the first time I got it, I was disappointed in the number of games I got.

delben91
02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
I disagree. You won't get any of the games on WCIU, on Directv. Plus, you won't get any of the Fox Saturday afternoon games from late May through the end of the season. Just going by last year's schedule, that accounts for 31 games, or 19%. Also, a lot of people not living in IL are surprised to find out that they are in the (insert team name here) "local" market. For example, if you live in Las Vegas, you are in the Angels market, so you won't get any of the Sox-angels games on Extra Innings.

Extra Innings is still a good deal, IMO, it's just that the first time I got it, I was disappointed in the number of games I got.

Perhaps I'm miscounting. I know I live in the "yankees" market, but I attended those games, and got them on YES when the Yankees were in Chicago...

Some of the WCIU games were on the other team's FSN channel, so I picked those up. But your count seems much more thought out than my guesstimate, so I'll back your numbers.

Chicken Dinner
02-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Perhaps I'm miscounting. I know I live in the "yankees" market, but I attended those games, and got them on YES when the Yankees were in Chicago...

Some of the WCIU games were on the other team's FSN channel, so I picked those up. But your count seems much more thought out than my guesstimate, so I'll back your numbers.

I would say most of the WCIU games were on other teams channels.

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I would say most of the WCIU games were on other teams channels.

You are correct and now I have to apologize for my errant posts in this thread. :redface:

On Directv they still have posted the 2005 MLB Extra Innings schedule. If my math is correct, counting all the games they show, plus the ones on ESPN and WGN, a person living outside of Chicago (Sox viewing area) would have seen 148 Sox games last season. Very nice.

Again, my apologies.

kcsportscaster
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM

To my knowledge, New Orleans is within the territory of FSN-Southwest, which is the regional outlet for BOTH the Astros and the Rangers, and NOT within FSN-South's territory, the once a week, usually Wednesdays, regional outlet for the Braves, assuming the local cable system has been restored since Hurricane Katrina.

That should mean that Sox fans living in Louisiana should be able to watch their games against the Astros and Rangers on FSN-Southwest.

However, cross into Mississippi, assuming the local cable systems on the coast have been restored after Katrina, and you will find that they are within FSN-South's terrotory and NOT within FSN-Southwest's territory.

tick53
02-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Thank God I only live around 90 miles from Chicago and Directv considers where I live Chicago grid. I can get all the games including Comcast plus through
them. I also rigged up a UHF antenna on my roof (I'm in a clear spot luckily)
and receive all the WCIU games.

I hope all Sox fans that leave the area are able to get the broacasts
wherever they are...

StockdaleForVeep
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
If u dont have comcast your screwed

I dont know the web of control comcast has but when u get near st louis, like around colinsville\granite city, its charter cable, which doesnt carry CSN and broadcasts cardinal games on fsn there. Yes you get WGN for sox weekend games and national televised games on espn but even sometimes the cards beat the sox for fox tv regional. Also, MLB.COM is worthless down south cuz apparently local games are blacked out, or so im told by sox fans at SIU

lumpyspun
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I get Extra Innings through Comcast. Last year they gave a one week free trial at the start of the season. During that time if you ordered it was for like 20 dollars cheaper. When I saw that every Sox game was on during that week I ordered right away and loved it.

The down side is that I live on the west coast and I race home from work to catch every game. I used to run everyday after work....now I'm forced to run in the morning and lunch (which I hate).

KRS1
02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Let me add to this thread that Ive had DirectTV and EXtra Innings for 3 years now, and love it. The one complaint I have is that they blackout about 5-10 games a year(my cousin tapes them and sends them to me express). Other than that I love being able to take in the other teams and their young players. I watched the Nationals late last year just b/c of Ryan Zimmerman, and it helps you stay in touch with what's going on with other teams rosters in times where I would care less otherwise. Also, it helps my fantasy game because I get to check out everyone in person, and not just go by word of idiot writer's mouth's.

NDSox12
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't think I could survive without MLB Extra Innings. As others have said, you can get virtually every Sox game on it except for a handful of WCIU games and Saturday Fox games. Also, I love the ability to watch any other game I want between innings or on off days.

One of the first things I did when I was looking for a place to live (near DC) was call the local cable company and verify that they had MLB Extra Innings. That was almost four years ago. 2006 will be my fifth season as an Extra Innings subscriber.

Personally, I think the $130 (or whatever they charge) is a steal considering the number of hours I watch. I usually get my money's worth out of it in April. Heck, they could probably double the price and I would still pay it. (Hopefully they don't read this)

pudge
02-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Extra Innings has gotten much better the past few years - they stopped blacking out Wednesday nights, for example. Saturday mornings (Fox) are about the only days you get hosed now. Last year I could probably count the number of games I missed on one hand.

If you can find a cable provider that gives you Extra Innings, *don't* go through the hassle of installing a dish. But if your cable company doesn't have it, you'll have to call up DirecTV. Get yourself a DVR with it, and you can record every game (which has been a godsend on the west coast, considering when I get home from work the Sox are usually in the 7th inning).

StockdaleForVeep
02-10-2006, 01:58 PM
I get Extra Innings through Comcast. Last year they gave a one week free trial at the start of the season. During that time if you ordered it was for like 20 dollars cheaper. When I saw that every Sox game was on during that week I ordered right away and loved it.

The down side is that I live on the west coast and I race home from work to catch every game. I used to run everyday after work....now I'm forced to run in the morning and lunch (which I hate).

Note: they give afree trial for every sports package for a week, the opening or second week of the season i believe, was nice realizing i had a detroit feed of a sox game by random

downstairs
02-10-2006, 03:10 PM
...the once a week, usually Wednesdays, regional outlet for the Braves, assuming the local cable system has been restored since Hurricane Katrina.

Heh. It's all good. Don't believe everything you see on TV. Pretty much everything is up and running in New Orleans, and has been for about 3-4 months. Cable, electricity, phone, internet...

Major parts of the city are gone, and a heck of a lot less people live/work there... but everything does work.