PDA

View Full Version : Saw Whimpy on Comcast last night

OH!foracold1
02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
From a distance I saw Whimpy on Comcast last night sporting a White Sox hat. By the time I got in the room they changed topics. Anyone care to elaborate if you saw that segment? I sure wish he was back doing color.

Thanks

:gulp:

Hangar18
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
From a distance I saw Whimpy on Comcast last night sporting a White Sox hat. By the time I got in the room they changed topics. Anyone care to elaborate if you saw that segment? I sure wish he was back doing color.

Thanks

No Kidding. Id love to have him instead of Chris Singleton in the booth with Farmer. Dang ..............

Madvora
02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
There's a link to a video on the Comcast website. I think it's just an interview.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/

sox1970
02-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Thanks

It probably was a repeat of a story they did a week or so ago. Paciorek participated in the White Sox fantasy camp in Tucson.

Madvora
02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
It probably was a repeat of a story they did a week or so ago. Paciorek participated in the White Sox fantasy camp in Tucson.
Just watched it. That looks like where he probably was.
He wants a job with Comcast, I'd take him in a minute.

mwc44
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
There's a link to a video on the Comcast website. I think it's just an interview.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/media/video/whitesox/Paciorek0207_16%20x%209.wmv

Here is the direct link, and yes, it was recorded during the White Sox Fantasy Camp a few weeks ago. All of the coaches were interviewed and most were intertwined with the segments Comcast showed last week on the Fantasy Camp.

ssirish317
02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
They should hire him to host the postgame shows with Melton. Either that or throw him in the booth with Hawk and DJ on games Comcast airs next year.

SoxFan78
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
They should hire him to host the postgame shows with Melton. Either that or throw him in the booth with Hawk and DJ on games Comcast airs next year.

They should throw wimpy in with Hawk in the booth, and while they are at it, throw DJ out!

Frank the Tank
02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking something we don't know about happened between Wimpy and the organization. Why else wouldn't they dump DJ and put Wimpy back with the Hawk where he belongs?

pythons007
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
They should throw wimpy in with Hawk in the booth, and while they are at it, throw DJ out!

100% YES. I thought Wimpy was awesome!

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Hawk and "The Duke" Tom Paciorek reunited would be bliss for the repeat performance.

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Hawk and "The Duke" Tom Paciorek reunited would be bliss for the repeat performance.

I think Hawk does not like Wimpy very much. At the same token, while I respect everyone's opinion here, Paciorek broadcasted with the Sox for 12 years and still didn't have a clue.

I remember him cutting down Robin Ventura in 1989 when they first brought him up, cracking how he couldn't see him matching his HR performance in college cause he was too small. Robin only turned out to be the best 3B in team history.

Paciorek also said Troy Glaus would never be a power hitter. While I'm no Glaus fan, he can launch bombs with the best of them.

But the one thing that still sticks with me about Paciorek goes back to 1983. When things were not going so well early, I remember him blasting everyone under the sun besides himself because he was benched hitting about .240 with about as many RBI's as Jerry Dybzinski. He ripped the team in the paper, saying:

'We're not exactly the '27 Yankees'.

'It's no secret there's no love lost between Tony LaRussa and me. I'm sorry, I just don't like the man'.

'When all is said and done, I'll be hitting .300 at the end of the year, and if this team cannot use a .300 hitter, I want out'.

But then he goes around saying what a great experience the 1983 season was, it was his favorite, the guys all pulled for and loved each other, it was great playing for LaRussa, like he never said this stuff. I don't fault him for being frustrated but he took it to the press, then later acts like it did not happen. Plus, his 'Wimpy' performance of swinging at three straight slow curves low and away from Tippy Martinez to end the 1983 playoffs was a lame end to a fun season.

Since they blew it with Rooney, the only guy they could possibly bring back to announce would be Dave Wills. Let Paciorek stay gone...

jdm2662
02-08-2006, 03:47 PM
'When all is said and done, I'll be hitting .300 at the end of the year, and if this team cannot use a .300 hitter, I want out'.

Well, he was right. He did end up hitting .300...

I was a huge fan of Hawk and Wimpy in the early 90s, but I can't say it will ever happen again. I can't stand Hawk in the booth anymore. I wouldn't mind if two new faces joined took over the reigns.

Hangar18
02-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking something we don't know about happened between Wimpy and the organization. Why else wouldn't they dump DJ and put Wimpy back with the Hawk where he belongs?

Whatever happened between him and the organization, needs to be cleared up and get him back on board. I always liked Wimpy, some of my old hilite videos from the 90's are always fun to listen with him and Hawk

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, he was right. He did end up hitting .300...

I was a huge fan of Hawk and Wimpy in the early 90s, but I can't say it will ever happen again. I can't stand Hawk in the booth anymore. I wouldn't mind if two new faces joined took over the reigns.

He did, but it was a light .300 until ending weeks of the season when they were beating up on the lower-tier teams like Seattle, California, and Oakland (don't bring up Mike Warren's 'nail the ball at everyone with a glove' no-hitter, you can't win them all).

My point is his misrepresentation of facts, and he just always seemed to rub me the wrong way. Plus, some of his comments were a little bit bizarre, even if they were occasionally funny.

The one exchange I still get a kick out of listening to is an early 1990's exchange with Hawk and Paciorek:

Hawk: And there's the Yankee skipper, Stump Merrill.......... Why do you suppose they call him Stump, Wimpy?

TP: I don't know, Hawk, I never saw him in the shower before!!

Frank the Tank
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I think Hawk does not like Wimpy very much. At the same token, while I respect everyone's opinion here, Paciorek broadcasted with the Sox for 12 years and still didn't have a clue.

I remember him cutting down Robin Ventura in 1989 when they first brought him up, cracking how he couldn't see him matching his HR performance in college cause he was too small. Robin only turned out to be the best 3B in team history.

Let Paciorek stay gone...

What is wrong with Wimpy expressing his opinion? I'd rather hear what he thinks instead of being fed what the organization wants me to hear like the Cubs do. So what if he didn't think Ventura would be a HR hitter? Have you ever listened to Rooney and Farmer? They are/were a lot more open with their views than Paciorek ever was. I really think Hawk & Wimpy did a heck of a job and had great chemistry. When I heard Wimpy was stepping down to "spend more time with family", I felt considerably worse than I do now about the loss of Rooney.

Save McCuddy's
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Couldn't agree more. I loved Whimpy. It's sad to think he was run out of town for failing to be a company "yes" man like his pal, Hawk.

Let's face it, whether you were a Whimpy fan or not, I know you watched the games on mute last year with Rooney and Farmer coming in off the radio so you didn't have to hear DJ explain how stiff the competition in Japan was -- again. God is he terrible.

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Couldn't agree more. I loved Whimpy. It's sad to think he was run out of town for failing to be a company "yes" man like his pal, Hawk.

Let's face it, whether you were a Whimpy fan or not, I know you watched the games on mute last year with Rooney and Farmer coming in off the radio so you didn't have to hear DJ explain how stiff the competition in Japan was -- again. God is he terrible.

It's okay to disagree, I just find his inconsistencies and lack of progress as an announcer pretty nerve raking.

Ditto for Farmer and DJ. I listened to many a game (or partials) in the garage or in the car.

With the crew on radio this year, I may have to watch the games myself and call them!

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
It's okay to disagree, I just find his inconsistencies and lack of progress as an announcer pretty nerve raking.

I don't have the same disdain for Paciorek as you, but count me in the minority here who actually prefers DJ over Paciorek. Wimpy's act got old really fast as far as I'm concerned. I actually have grown to like DJ and appreciate the interplay between Hawk and him.

Elvisfan1977
02-08-2006, 10:51 PM
The White Sox should hire ME as their color commentator. I'll make you forget about Ronney real quick. Period.

slavko
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Wimpy (after the hamburger-eating sidekick in the old Popeye cartoon), not Whimpy, hates Hawk, whom he considers responsible for his departure. They aren't getting together Anytime Soon. Fuhgetaboudit.

soxfan1983
02-09-2006, 12:12 AM

im with you, i hate dj

soxinem1
02-09-2006, 10:37 AM
The White Sox should hire ME as their color commentator. I'll make you forget about Ronney real quick. Period.

Ronny who, Woo-woo?:tongue:

Steelrod
02-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I Miss Wimpy !!

Domeshot17
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I grew up with Hawk and Wimpy. I dont remember to much about his skills, I was around 6 or 7 he was in the booth but I have watched plenty of taped games from people which he calls. I think he would have been a great addition to Farmer on the radio.

And to whoever was talking about the comments he made in 83, my only response is people, especially athletes, say stupid things and 20 years later regret them. I would bet this is the case.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
02-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm surprised somebody in the know hasn't chimed in already, but I believe Hawk and Wimpy had a fairly decent sized falling out, and that the two of them do not like each other. I don't mean to be spreading rumors, but I searched through the forums a while back and found a bunch of stuff on this. Basically, I believe Hawk more-or-less wanted to get rid of Wimpy.

HITMEN OF 77
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I don't have the same disdain for Paciorek as you, but count me in the minority here who actually prefers DJ over Paciorek. Wimpy's act got old really fast as far as I'm concerned. I actually have grown to like DJ and appreciate the interplay between Hawk and him.

I thik there are more and more people starting to like DJ. He is the best partner Hawk has ever had. I liked Paciorek, but DJ adds that comic side to the booth and compliments Hawk very well.

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised somebody in the know hasn't chimed in already, but I believe Hawk and Wimpy had a fairly decent sized falling out, and that the two of them do not like each other. I don't mean to be spreading rumors, but I searched through the forums a while back and found a bunch of stuff on this. Basically, I believe Hawk more-or-less wanted to get rid of Wimpy.

Who's to say they couldnt Patch up their differences and be the best tandem out there again? Id LOVE to see them paired up again ......... they seemed to mesh so well together ....
Someone get Brooks on the line please!

everafan
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
The great thing about DJ is that he doesn't know he's being funny - afterall broadcasting isn't rocket surgery.

FarSouthSoxFan
02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Like many others here, I absolutely loved the Wimpy/Hawk team.

That being said, we won't see it again any time soon.

It'd be nice if Comcast or the Score hired him for pregame/postgame to get him slowly back into Sox baseball. He was really a great guy. He ragged on players a bit, and was wrong sometimes, but man...He and Hawk cracking at eachother was hilarious. Unfortunately, everything I've read over past years says that Wimpy hates Hawk and that Hawk REALLY hates Wimpy. If Hawk doesn't want him back in the TV booth...He's never coming back. Hawk is best paired with a "yes man," like DJ. Hawk isn't going to rip DJ's head off at any time, because all DJ says is "Yes, Hawk. I agree with your analysis."

ssirish317
02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
The great thing about DJ is that he doesn't know he's being funny - afterall broadcasting isn't rocket surgery.

I'll never forget when he said rocket surgery. That probably made me laugh harder than anything else he's ever said on the air.

Then again, maybe not....but close.

FarSouthSoxFan
02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll never forget when he said rocket surgery. That probably made me laugh harder than anything else he's ever said on the air.

Then again, maybe not....but close.

What made me laugh the hardest was the "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyy" home run call. That was just horrible.

Foulke You
02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Paciorek was interviewed on SportsBlab radio back in 2001 or 2002 when he was doing part time announcing work for the Tigers. The Tigers were in town to play the Sox and the interviewer (I believe it was Mike North) asked him about his departure from the Sox and what actually happened there. He said that he had no ill will towards Hawk and stated that the real problem was that people within the Sox organization wanted him to change his delivery and style during the broadcast which he absolutely refused to do. His response was (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've been doing this the same for almost 10 years and NOW you suddenly want me to change?". According to him, this was the main decision in his leaving the team.

Personally, I think people within the organization wanted Paciorek out for whatever reason and were doing everything they could to grease the skids for his departure to make life difficult for him. Whether Hawk was a part of that or not, I'm not sure. I for one, think it is a conclusion that a lot of people came to without a whole lot of facts. I'll have to take Paciorek at his word unless I hear anything different.

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2006, 07:50 AM
What made me laugh the hardest was the "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyy" home run call. That was just horrible.

My DJ nightmare HR call:

:DJ
"UH-OHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
With the crew on radio this year, I may have to watch the games myself and call them!

It will be 10 times more entertaining.
(no teal needed.I'm not kidding.)