PDA

View Full Version : Nice Plug for WSI in Roepers column today!!

soxfan13
02-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Page 11 of todays Sun-Times, Richard Roeper gives a nice shout out to WSI. He tells how he has been using it to research his book on growing up a Sox fan. He especially goes on about the great audio archives. Nice going WSI:)http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep08.html

doublem23
02-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Anyone else having problems with the Sun-Times website? This is two days in a row I've wanted to read Roeper's column and I haven't been able to do so because www.suntimes.com keeps "timing out" on me. I would just suck it up and walk over to the library and read the hard copies, but they barely get the Tribune on a daily basis down here; lousy anti-Chicago sentiment.

soxfan13
02-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I read it in the actual paper if I can get in ill post the link

IUPeterman
02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Linky:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep08.html

soxfan13
02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Doublem23 I posted the link for ya hope it works it is in the original post

Ol' No. 2
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Anyone else having problems with the Sun-Times website? This is two days in a row I've wanted to read Roeper's column and I haven't been able to do so because www.suntimes.com (http://www.suntimes.com) keeps "timing out" on me. I would just suck it up and walk over to the library and read the hard copies, but they barely get the Tribune on a daily basis down here; lousy anti-Chicago sentiment.I always have problems with them if I link from work. It activates Java when you link there and I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it. I seem to recall other people having the same problem. I'm sure someone else here can shed more light on that.

Iwritecode
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I always have problems with them if I link from work. It activates Java when you link there and I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it. I seem to recall other people having the same problem. I'm sure someone else here can shed more light on that.

It works for me but it does seem to load pretty slowly. Pretty good article too.

I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to get Oscar-nominated movies mixed in the same column with baseball though. I happen to like a few of the movies he says are pieces of ****.

Most of the movies that get nominated for Oscars I never see anyway. I'm sure Brokeback Mountain will be added to that list. I just don't see the appeal...

Dick Allen
02-08-2006, 11:08 AM
I look forward to his book. He's a witty guy, one of my favorite columnists, and of course a Sox fan to boot.

Kwrubac
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Another upstanding ISU alum, unlike that Dan Roan character on that cubune channel!

Max Power
02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
A book about being a White Sox fan. How novel. I'll definitely be buying it.

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I like Roeper and all, but he didn't he mention me once!:angry:

Will definitely buy both his and Rogers' books.

slavko
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
It works for me but it does seem to load pretty slowly.

That's been a long-time problem for me with that site. Part of the problem is the pop-up ads that have to load before the home page does. Sometimes it locks up my computer and I have to reboot.

everafan
02-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Roeper is the only columnist in town that is pro White Sox. I will definitely buy his book.

VenturaSoxFan23
02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I've read Roeper for years. Good guy, fun column. Someone that understands what a Sox fan puts up with.

doogiec
02-08-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64475

Looks like he had the good sense to drop the "c" word from the title of his new book.

MarySwiss
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Did anyone else notice that the title of the book no longer says anything about erasing curses? IIRC, when this subject first came up, that was part of the tentative title.

Nice to see that's changed. :smile:

Edit, Whoops, I guess the post before mine answers that question!

Chip Z'nuff
02-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Used to have trouble viewing the suntimes, switched browser to Firefox and alas.. no more troubles

MUsoxfan
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Roeper is the only columnist in town that is pro White Sox. I will definitely buy his book.

Richard, congrats on your first post!:redneck

Lip Man 1
02-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Now contrast Richard's stuff with what was printed in the Tribune today by editor Dan McGrath:

"We here at the Cub-une hear it a dozen or so times from disgruntled White Sox fans over a given baseball season, an unfortunate byproduct of newspaper/ball team cross-ownership."

By the way that's not made-up or should be in teal. He actually wrote that today on a story about Joe Montan a ducking the Super Bowl.

Lip

miker
02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
What about John Kass?

MarySwiss
02-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Now contrast Richard's stuff with what was printed in the Tribune today by editor Dan McGrath:

"We here at the Cub-une hear it a dozen or so times from disgruntled White Sox fans over a given baseball season, an unfortunate byproduct of newspaper/ball team cross-ownership."

By the way that's not made-up or should be in teal. He actually wrote that today on a story about Joe Montan a ducking the Super Bowl.

Lip

Easy to fix, Lip. All he has to do is delete "an unfortunate byproduct of" and replace it with "directly related to."

No teal needed.

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Absolutely, I remember him trumpeting our Sox in the late 80's.

Richard Roeper, YES!

MUsoxfan
02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Absolutely, I remember him trumpeting our Sox in the late 80's.

Richard Roeper, YES!

I sat next to him at a game earlier this year. I didn't realize it was him for about 3 innings. He certainly gets as loud as anyone else out there

SweetnesSox
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
He's been my favorite writer for a long time. We share the same outlook on Oprah and that old bag writer from NY that dissed Chicago. I'm minoring in creative writing and I read his column every day. Can't think of a better guy to write a Sox book from out perspective. Thanks, Rich!