PDA

View Full Version : Other than this year's Championship ones, what was your most exciting Sox game(s)"

soxinem1
02-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I have two that stick out, even though I've been to many thrillers.

In 1983, the sox are playing California at Comiskey. Down 6-1 going to the bottom of the ninth. Rain threatening all game. Sox make it 6-3 and it downpours.

After play resumes, they tie it up. Baines HR then wins it in extras 7-6. MERCY! My parents grounded me for coming home at 2am, and also didn't believe me because on the news Johnny Morris said the Sox 'are about to drop one'.

In 1985, Sox are down 6-0, bottom nine, nobody on, two out at Comiskey. Two get on, I believe Rudy Law nails a 3 run HR. 6-3. Two more get on and Greg Walker nails one in the RF upper deck, tie game 6-6. Then Luis Salazar nails one in the CF bullpen to win it off Jay (former cub) Howell in the 11th or 12th to win it 7-6. YES!!

Anybody else have any great ones like this?

NSSoxFan
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
In September of 2000 we were playing the Angels. It was the game where Mo Vaughn hit that grand-slam and the Sox were down 8-3 in the eigth inning. The inning began with Frank and Maggs going back-to-back making the game 8-5. Charles Johnson and Durham came up with RBI to make the it 8-7. Then, in true Manos fashion, Jose came through with a pinch-hit bloop single that brought in two runs.

Classic comeback.

TommyJohn
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
In 1985, Sox are down 6-0, bottom nine, nobody on, two out at Comiskey. Two get on, I believe Rudy Law nails a 3 run HR. 6-3. Two more get on and Greg Walker nails one in the RF upper deck, tie game 6-6. Then Luis Salazar nails one in the CF bullpen to win it off Jay (former cub) Howell in the 11th or 12th to win it 7-6. YES!!

When was this one? I don't remember it at all.

I do remember a game in 1985 when they were down to Oakland 7-4 with
2 out and no one on. Carlton Fisk hit a solo home run to give the folks going
home one last thrill. But wait! Oscar Gamble draws a walk on a 3-2 pitch,
then Greg Walker nails one in the upper deck to tie it. In the bottom of the
12th a hustling rookie named Ozzie Guillen scores all the way from second
on a wild pitch for the 8-7 win.

And who can forget Robin rockin' new Comiskey with his 9th inning grand
slam off Goose Gossage? That was another favorite of mine.

Lots more. I'd have to make a list.

Stoky44
02-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Sept 27, 1993

Bo Jackson's HR. Clinched the division that game.

Chisox003
02-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Sept 27, 1993

6 Year old Chisox003 was there, standing on his chair, waving his white sock wildly.... I think my unhealthy obsession with the Sox and baseball in general started THAT night

Definitely my pick for the most exciting game I've been to (aside from WS games 1 & 2)

thomas35forever
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
September 2003: The Sox are down 3-2 against the Tribe in the 7th inning with two outs and Crede and Robbie Alomar on base. Frank belts it out of the park on the first pitch of the at-bat. Paulie adds some insurance with a two-run shot of his own the next inning. Sox win 7-3.

I want Mags back
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
An exciting one for me was August 18, 2003 (was their 4 my B-Day) The Angels had a no hitter and up 2-0 going up until the 7th. Robbie Alomar singled and that was followed by a tying Homer by Big Frank, to left, about i section from where i was at. In the bot. 9th, #35 hit a walkoff 2run homer almost to the same spot

tick53
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I was at the old park the night Ken Berry went over the
fence in centerfield. I was sitting on the far end of of the
upper deck in right field and we got a good look at it:smile:

doublem23
02-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm sure someone's going to attack me for being "Flub-sessed," but in 1999, I was at the first game of the Cubs-Sox series at Comiskey Park. My mom had gotten tickets for the whole family, waaaaaaaaay up in the old upper deck. I actually think we were in the 2nd to last row right behind home plate. Anyways, the game was the one the Sox won in the 9th when Manny Alexander missed the force out at 2nd to keep the winning run on base rather than an easy double play.

The whole place erupted when the Sox won, I was high-fiving people all the way down the entire upper deck and ramps. The Sox had swept the Cubs at Wrigley earlier, so the whole way chants of "Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!" were echoing. My brother, a Cub fan was so upset. It was great. :cool:

I was also at Sox Park for one of the last games against Texas in 1993 when they dropped the Magic Number to about 5, I think. And Carlos Lee's walk-off grand slam off Courtney Duncan in 2000 or 2001 (I was working that night, but we had the radio on in the backroom... most of the Jewel I worked at were Cub fans but me and the one other Sox fan there just went nuts when they won).

I was also at the Sox-Indians game in 2000, the first home game after their 7-game sweep of Cleveland and New York. Kip Wells pitched a gem, Herbert Perry homered, and I really thought the Sox were World Series bound after that night. Oh well. The electricity in the park was incredible, especially the impromptu standing ovation the team got when they took the field.

SoxSpeed22
02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
An exciting one for me was August 18, 2003 (was their 4 my B-Day) The Angels had a no hitter and up 2-0 going up until the 7th. Robbie Alomar singled and that was followed by a tying Homer by Big Frank, to left, about i section from where i was at. In the bot. 9th, #35 hit a walkoff 2run homer almost to the same spot:hawk
"STAY FAIR! STAY FAIR! YYYYEESSSS!"
There were the 7 glorious nights of 2000.
There was another one in 2000, where they were down 3 in the 8th, I think, and then ended up scoring 7 runs in that inning. I think it was against Detroit, but I don't remember much about it, other than the huge comeback.

BeefyD
02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I have two, actually....

1. 1994 - A couple of days before the strike in August. Bro and I were at a game which was untelevised, and the Big Hurt hit a grand slam and the place went nuts.

2. 199? - Crosstown Classic @ Wrigley when we won in the bottom of the 9th by throwing out a flubbie at home for the last out (which would have tied the game). Anyone remember what year that was???

D. TODD
02-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Thigpen striking out Canseco with the bases loaded in the 9th to wrap up a win while the Sox were trying to chase down the A's.

Luzinski going roof twice against the Yankees.

C. Lee slam to finish off the Cubs.

Crede blast to beat the Indians.

Quite a few during the winning ugly campaign.

SOXSINCE'70
02-08-2006, 07:57 AM
While I have many,including Ventura's granny to beat the Rangers 7/31/91
at "new" Comiskey,my favorites from last season were Dye's solo shot
to beat the Halos,AJ's game ending opposite field shot against the
Dodgers (I was there!),and Crede's blast off David Riske to beat the
Tribe.Honorable Mention:Crede's 2 out double to score Pablo Ozuna
with the game winner in game 2 of the ALCS.:cool:

EastCoastSoxFan
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
There have been several, but one that comes to mind is a 1991 game that Scott Fletcher won with a gapper in the bottom of the ninth (speaking of phrases that people hate, "walk-off <fill in the blank>" is pretty damn close to the top of my list).
Anyway, that was one of Scooter's last great moments with the Sox. He was already riding the bench in favor of Joey Cora, and I think he was gone by the end of the '91 season.
Another that just came to mind is the game in Yankee Stadium last year that the Sox won 2-1 on some stellar pitching by Contreras, a perfectly placed solo home run that Iguchi wrapped around the right-field foul pole, and a line shot by Bernie Williams that Geoff Blum snagged to end the game.
That was also the game where the fan jumped onto the screen, but oddly enough I didn't even find out about it until I saw it on the news the following day since I was sitting in the upper deck behind the plate and couldn't see what was going on -- when the security guards were gathering on the lower deck concourse I thought somebody had fainted or there had been a fight in the lower deck or something.

IndySox
02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
July 2, 2003 -- The White Sox were playing the Twins. the Sox had taken the first two games of the series. Bottom of the ninth, Sox down by one and Konerko came to bat with two outs. It seems hard to believe now, but Konerko was going through a terrible slump at the time, amd my thought was, "This game is over." Konerko then hits a two-strike homer to tie the game. Frank then hit another homer in the bottom of the tenth to win it. Sox sweep the Twins. I absolutely floated out of the Park that night.

pdr
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Can't remember the year or who they were playing, but the Sox were down 8-6 in the bottom of the 9th, came back to tie, then won on a Gary Redus grand slam. It was incredibly loud at the old park, and I was hoarse afterward. IIRC, this was also "Seat Cushion Night", and many cushions flew onto the field after bad calls. Also, Daryl Boston flew into the left-field stands to catch a fly ball.

EastCoastSoxFan
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
July 2, 2003 -- The White Sox were playing the Twins. the Sox had taken the first two games of the series. Bottom of the ninth, Sox down by one and Konerko came to bat with two outs. It seems hard to believe now, but Konerko was going through a terrible slump at the time, amd my thought was, "This game is over." Konerko then hits a two-strike homer to tie the game. Frank then hit another homer in the bottom of the tenth to win it. Sox sweep the Twins. I absolutely floated out of the Park that night.
I remember watching that game on the internet. When Paulie came up I remember thinking, "Oh, great. This game is over"; and then I went to the bathroom or something and when I came back the game was tied.
Me of little faith.
And then Frank had one of the greatest at-bats you'd ever want to see in the bottom of the 10th. I think the pitcher (Rincon?) got so frustrated at Frank fouling off all those pitches that he tried to sneak something past him.
Bad idea.
Hell of a game...

Panpan21
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Sept 27, 1993

Definitely a favorite of mine. My other was when the Sox clinched the Central in 2000. They were up here in Minnesota. They actually lost the game but so did Cleveland that day which allowed them to clinch. The players stayed on the field to celebrate with us Sox fans that live here and that came up for the game. Hey, I didn't get any playoff or WS tix this year. It's the closest I ever got to a championship team!!!

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
When was this one? I don't remember it at all.

I do remember a game in 1985 when they were down to Oakland 7-4 with
2 out and no one on. Carlton Fisk hit a solo home run to give the folks going
home one last thrill. But wait! Oscar Gamble draws a walk on a 3-2 pitch,
then Greg Walker nails one in the upper deck to tie it. In the bottom of the
12th a hustling rookie named Ozzie Guillen scores all the way from second
on a wild pitch for the 8-7 win.

Lots more. I'd have to make a list.

I guess senility hits us even with our good memories. :rolleyes:

I believe I put two games into one. The game you mention is the one I am speaking of, I was at that one, that was early in the year. I remember Rick Langford throwing the big curve that did the knuckleball bounce and Jim Leyland waving Guillen in.

The other game was later in the year, when Luis Salazar hit the homer off Howell.

The 1985 White Sox played some neat games. I remember Rickey Henderson doubling into a DP in New York, with Dale Berra and Bobby Meacham getting nailed at the plate. That team was one hitter and one starter short of winning the division.

Another classic game was the 25-inning job in 1984 against the Brewers. I still have all the scoring from the original scorecard AND the notebook paper for all the extra innings. I got in trouble for that one too (we didn't have cell phones, most of the pay phones at Comiskey were coin stealers!!) by not coming home till 3am on a school night, but Mom let me go back after school. Mom always understood the Sox fanatic stuff.

Tom Seaver won both that game and the regularly scheduled one the next night. In fact, he almost completed the second game. Rene Lacheman, who managed the Brewers that year, had a great line after the 25 inning game. He said something like 'We should have won that game in nine innings and I'm sure Tony feels they should have won it in 25'.

34 innings of White Sox baseball over two days. Now that was classic!

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Can't remember the year or who they were playing, but the Sox were down 8-6 in the bottom of the 9th, came back to tie, then won on a Gary Redus grand slam. It was incredibly loud at the old park, and I was hoarse afterward. IIRC, this was also "Seat Cushion Night", and many cushions flew onto the field after bad calls. Also, Daryl Boston flew into the left-field stands to catch a fly ball.

That was 1988. I remember that. I believe it was fireworks night too. Redus refused to do a curtain call. He was traded to Pittsburgh not long after that hit.

Sox83Kid
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
The greatest game I ever witnessed was the June, 2002 opener against the Cubs at Comiskey. The Sox were down 8-0 by the fourth inning, due to poor defense and a bad start by Buerhle. Then Kerry Wood virtually disintegrated in front of 40,000 people. He beaned Konerko in the head, but Paulie made him pay by blasting two 2-run homers in consecutive at-bats. (I think he had 11 total that month) The Sox came back and won that game 12-9. The look on the faces of the Cub fans was priceless! :redneck

TomBradley72
02-08-2006, 11:00 AM
1977: Chet Lemon hits 2 HR's on a Monday night in front of a packed house at old Comiskey...come from behind win...Lerrin Lagrow gets the save
1978: Opening Day: Ron Bloomberg's HR in the 9th ties the game....Wayne Nordhagen's bloop single wins it.
1982: Jerry Hairston PH 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th to beat Jack Morris and the Tigers
1990: Fisk's triple down the line beats the A's
1991: Ventura's walk off grand slam off of Goose Gossage to beat the Rangers
1993: Bo Jackson's "hang time" HR to clinch the Western Division
2004: Crede's homer to beat the Tigers after the WSox were down 7-1
2005: Game 2 of the year...Konerko/Dye HR's in the bottom of the 9th tie it...Uribe's sac fly wins it.
2005: Memorial Day weekend...Timo Perez's PH bloop single down the left field line beats the Angels
2005: AJ's walk off HR against the Dodgers
2005: Crede's HR to beat the Indians in late September
2005: Iguchi's HR beats Wells and the BoSox in Game 2 of the ALDS
2005: Konerko's slam and Pods walk off HR beat the Astros in Game 2 of the World Series

Max Power
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I was also at the Sox-Indians game in 2000, the first home game after their 7-game sweep of Cleveland and New York. Kip Wells pitched a gem, Herbert Perry homered, and I really thought the Sox were World Series bound after that night. Oh well. The electricity in the park was incredible, especially the impromptu standing ovation the team got when they took the field.

I was at that game too. It was electric.

Here some other favorites:

8/20/90 - White Sox 11, A's 1. I had been to Sox games before this, but this was the one that made me a Sox fan. I'll never forget the atmosphere that night.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08200CHA1990.htm

5/26/96 - White Sox 12, Brewers 1. Sox hit 4 HR's in the 8th, including back-to-back-to-back. Thomas, Baines, Ventura, then Keuter.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05260CHA1996.htm

6/3/01 - White Sox 9, Tigers 6 (10). My friend got us seats in the first row at first base. Still the best seats I've ever had there. So as our luck goes the Sox are losing 6-0 in the 8th... until rallying for 4 in the 8th, 2 in the 9th and 3 in the 10th.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06030CHA2001.htm

7/5/05 - White Sox 6, Devil Rays 4. This is my random favorite game from last season. Rays were winning 4-3 in the 8th when Big Frank hit a 3 run homer. That was the last game I saw him play in a Sox uniform, so I saw him go out in style.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250705104

Max Power
02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
The greatest game I ever witnessed was the June, 2002 opener against the Cubs at Comiskey. The Sox were down 8-0 by the fourth inning, due to poor defense and a bad start by Buerhle. Then Kerry Wood virtually disintegrated in front of 40,000 people. He beaned Konerko in the head, but Paulie made him pay by blasting two 2-run homers in consecutive at-bats. (I think he had 11 total that month) The Sox came back and won that game 12-9. The look on the faces of the Cub fans was priceless! :redneck

Dear God, how could I forget about this one. I was too busy thinking of some lesser known favorite games and I missed probably my all-time favorite game. That was an outstanding one to be at.

gogosox35
02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Most exciting games I've been to:
May 12, 2000 when Jeff Abbott hit the two out two run game winning homer off Eddie Guardado to beat the Twins 4-3. It was pretty much THE game that propelled us to the Division Crown in 2000.

2nd is going to the Konerko 2 run homer. I remember saying to my friends that they may as well throw me up there to pinch hit. Konerko homers, Frank has a 79 pitch at bat and homers, absolutely electric.

tacosalbarojas
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM
That was 1988. I remember that. I believe it was fireworks night too. Redus refused to do a curtain call. He was traded to Pittsburgh not long after that hit.Right you are, June of 1988. After the fireworks, I was headed out down those golden stairs to the old underbelly of old Comiskey, and who comes whizzing by us but good ol #13 in street clothes going past everyone like a bat out of hell. The only time I ever saw a player (or future manager, for that manner) in the stands after a game.

tacosalbarojas
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I've been to almost all the games mentioned in this thread, and they were all great! One that I didn't go to and I'd like to hear from anyone who was there - the fight game with the Tigers in early 2000. That would have been the bee's knees to be at that one.

robiwho
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Dear God, how could I forget about this one. I was too busy thinking of some lesser known favorite games and I missed probably my all-time favorite game. That was an outstanding one to be at.

I was at a friend's house for a BBQ that night, which is when I learned that she and most of her friends were cub fans. They were all lamenting the game; I didn't have to say a word...just stood around smiling!

I'd have to go with AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers as my favorite. That was when I let myself start believing we were going all the way!

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM

I had the headline of that game with Paulie's picture hanging in my office for three years until last October. Now it sits framed in my son's room. Man, did we love that game. I just wish I could have heard Santo 'uh'ing' and 'oh-ing' during that one, it was a classic donniebrook, as Lorne Brown used to say.....

TommyJohn
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
The 1985 White Sox played some neat games. I remember Rickey Henderson doubling into a DP in New York, with Dale Berra and Bobby Meacham getting nailed at the plate. That team was one hitter and one starter short of winning the division.

Now this one I remember well. I didn't see the double play as I was out at
the time, but I saw the end. The Sox took a 5-3 lead in the top of the 10th.
In the bottom half, Jerry Don Gleaton got the first two outs, but the next
guy got on base. The next guy up was Dave Winfield. So what does Tony
The Genius do? He yanks the lefty to bring in a righty to face Winfield. Who,
you ask? Mike Stanton. MIKE STANTON!!!:angry: :angry: The same Mike
Stanton who had come into a game against the Orioles and threw just
enough creampuffs to snatch a 7-6 defeat from the jaws of a 6-3 victory.
Of course, th inevitable happened. Winfield worked the count to either 2-2
or 3-2, then took a big, fat balloon over the plate deep for a game-tying
home run. I remember him dropping his bat and showboating towards
Stanton.

In the top of the 11th I remember Ozzie Guillen scoring from 2nd base on
a groundout because the Yankees didn't pay any attention to him. They
managed to hold on for a 6-5 win, with the win going to Juan Agosto,
who somehow got through the 11th without doing any damage himself.

North Sox Sider
02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned this game.

Sept. 17th 1983
The Sox clinched the AL west division against the Seattle Mariners. Harold Baines hit a sac fly to right to score Julio Juice Cruz in the bottom of the 9th inning. I remember that game lasted forever because of the rain delays but it was alllll worth it. It was a special night for this 11 year old.

southpaw40
02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
August 11, 1991, Memorial Stadium, Baltimore. Wilson Alvarez, in his first game for the Sox, throws a no-hitter at the Orioles.
It was really sweet, because back in those days, O's fans were really, really obnoxious (but they did give Wilson a well deserved ovation).

Risk
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
My top two are:

1) 1993: Bo Jackson's HR to clinch the Western Division Championship; and

2) 2003: Sox trounce the Unlovable Losers in Game 1 after falling behind 8-0 early, then going on a tear to win 12-9. I was at that game too, and the first couple of innings it was a neo-surrealistic event, but then reality finally returned. Sweet, sweet reality.:D:

Risk

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Now this one I remember well. I didn't see the double play as I was out at
the time, but I saw the end. The Sox took a 5-3 lead in the top of the 10th.
In the bottom half, Jerry Don Gleaton got the first two outs, but the next
guy got on base. The next guy up was Dave Winfield. So what does Tony
The Genius do? He yanks the lefty to bring in a righty to face Winfield. Who,
you ask? Mike Stanton. MIKE STANTON!!!:angry: :angry: The same Mike
Stanton who had come into a game against the Orioles and threw just
enough creampuffs to snatch a 7-6 defeat from the jaws of a 6-3 victory.
Of course, th inevitable happened. Winfield worked the count to either 2-2
or 3-2, then took a big, fat balloon over the plate deep for a game-tying
home run. I remember him dropping his bat and showboating towards
Stanton.

In the top of the 11th I remember Ozzie Guillen scoring from 2nd base on
a groundout because the Yankees didn't pay any attention to him. They
managed to hold on for a 6-5 win, with the win going to Juan Agosto,
who somehow got through the 11th without doing any damage himself.

You hit it right on the head. I hate to keep invoking Mom, but that Oriole games still ticks me off! Bob James hurt his knee on an 0-2 or 1-2 pitch, nobody on, two out.

Fireman Mike comes in, gives up a scalding rope, followed by a scalding rope, followed by a scalding rope, followed by a bomb to Ripken, game over....

Mom chewed me out for excessive swearing, and making a few non-masculine comments about Mike Bombton.... I forgot she was nearby.....

That Yankee game was on national TV too, if I remember. I also remember Lorne Brown throwing his voice out over that call with Meacham and Berra.

TommyJohn
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
You hit it right on the head. I hate to keep invoking Mom, but that Oriole games still ticks me off! Bob James hurt his knee on an 0-2 or 1-2 pitch, nobody on, two out.

Fireman Mike comes in, gives up a scalding rope, followed by a scalding rope, followed by a scalding rope, followed by a bomb to Ripken, game over....

Mom chewed me out for excessive swearing, and making a few non-masculine comments about Mike Bombton.... I forgot she was nearby.....

That Yankee game was on national TV too, if I remember. I also remember Lorne Brown throwing his voice out over that call with Meacham and Berra.

I believe it was a 2-1 pitch. James' knee locked and didn't bend on his
follow through, bringing all of his weight (considerable; he looked a lot
like LaMarr Hoyt) down on the knee. Funny how when I watch a Sox
game, I always get a funny feeling when I know they are going to lose.
Just this aching vibe all over. I had that feeling as I watched the game.
Even as James got that second out and the Oriole crowd was subdued,
that feeling would not leave me.

If I recall correctly it was Fred Lynn that hit the 3 run bomb for Baltimore.

The Yankee game was on national TV, I remember Vin Scully (I think)
intoning how LaRussa would love to have James going into the Winfield
situation. (Cue shot of still-injured James sitting in Sox bullpen.)

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 07:08 PM
I believe it was a 2-1 pitch. James' knee locked and didn't bend on his
follow through, bringing all of his weight (considerable; he looked a lot
like LaMarr Hoyt) down on the knee. Funny how when I watch a Sox
game, I always get a funny feeling when I know they are going to lose.
Just this aching vibe all over. I had that feeling as I watched the game.
Even as James got that second out and the Oriole crowd was subdued,
that feeling would not leave me.

If I recall correctly it was Fred Lynn that hit the 3 run bomb for Baltimore.

The Yankee game was on national TV, I remember Vin Scully (I think)
intoning how LaRussa would love to have James going into the Winfield
situation. (Cue shot of still-injured James sitting in Sox bullpen.)

It was. Opposite field. It was Cal Ripken who was hitting when BJ blew out the knee. Cal nailed Stanton's first pitch for a hit. Freddie nailed the long fly ball.

The bad feeling could be traced back to 1983 when the Sox played Baltimore. Fisk's HR call reversed, Dotson pitches a one-hitter but loses the game.

In 1984, Sox took the lead once in extras in Baltimore on a WP KO from Fisk, then Ron Reed gives up a bomb in the bottom of the inning to Cal and they lose.

Then after finishing up winning seven in a row to finish the first half, they open the second half in Baltimore and get bombed in a DH by the O's.

And it took three years to beat Mike Boddicker, who like Jimmy Key, always had the Sox number. Once they had him down 3-1 (that might have been one of these games just mentioned) but could not hold it.

I know that bad feeling all too well. I have it several times a year and it always, unfortunately, seems to come true. It happened with Foulke a few times against Seattle and Minnesota, especially that Denny Hocking game, and this year a few times, including games against the Royals later in the year.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
8/20/90 - White Sox 11, A's 1. I had been to Sox games before this, but this was the one that made me a Sox fan. I'll never forget the atmosphere that night.

This was my last game at the old Park. I went to this game with my high school buddy Chris before going away to college. Sosa had a monster home run into the leftfield upper deck, but the most memorable part of the game was seeing Jose Canseco completely wipe out in rightfield in a giant puddle (it had been raining all day). I was sitting in the right field upper deck, and everyone was giving Canseco a hard time. He got up, and his jersey was completely soaked with water and mud.

Here's the retrosheet recap of that inning:
WHITE SOX 1ST: Johnson grounded out (shortstop to first);
Ventura popped to third; Calderon singled to center; Pasqua
walked [Calderon to second]; Fisk singled to center [Calderon
scored, Pasqua to third]; Henderson hurt knee diving for
Fisk's single and goes on DL; JENNINGS REPLACED D. HENDERSON
(PLAYING LF); JOSE CHANGED POSITIONS (PLAYING CF); Thomas
tripled to right [Pasqua scored, Fisk scored]; Canseco turned
wrong way, slipped and fell in the mud; Sosa popped to
shortstop; 3 R, 3 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Athletics 1, White Sox 3.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
And then Frank had one of the greatest at-bats you'd ever want to see in the bottom of the 10th. I think the pitcher (Rincon?) got so frustrated at Frank fouling off all those pitches that he tried to sneak something past him.
Bad idea.
Hell of a game...

It was Guardado. Frank battled him for 15 or 16 pitches before finally hitting the homer. I was in the leftfield bleachers for that one. It was a great moment because we couldn't tell if the ball was fair or foul until everyone else in the park reacted.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
August 11, 1991, Memorial Stadium, Baltimore. Wilson Alvarez, in his first game for the Sox, throws a no-hitter at the Orioles.
It was really sweet, because back in those days, O's fans were really, really obnoxious (but they did give Wilson a well deserved ovation).

I was just watching highlights of this game this weekend when I was going through my tape with the Ventura 7/31/91 grand slam. You're correct- the Baltimore fans did give him a standing ovation, and the video shows confetti and streamers coming out of one of the press boxes on the final out (strikeout). Lance Johnson made an unbelievable catch in rightcenter to save the no-hitter. Alvarez also got a break on a ball that Ripken hit in front of the plate. It had every right to be scored an infield hit...ball was 10 feet in front of the plate and died. Karkovice picked it up and gunned it to first, and Pasqua made a half-hearted stab and catching it, but missed (maybe on purpose). The scorer gave Karkovice and error and the no-hitter was intact. If Karko hadn't thrown the ball, it was a hit all the way. Smart play by Pasqua and Kark.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
2004: Crede's homer to beat the Tigers after the WSox were down 7-1

July 24, 2004: With the win, the Sox had sole possession of first place. But it would only last one day, as the Twins tied us the next day. The Jamie Burke incident happened the following Tuesday. Anyway, that was a great win against the Tigers...it was a Saturday night fireworks night...great weather....an awesome game which will probably not be remembered in the future because of Crede's walkoff heroics in 2005. I think I had Wilkes' tickets for this game too....right down the first base line.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
7/5/05 - White Sox 6, Devil Rays 4. This is my random favorite game from last season. Rays were winning 4-3 in the 8th when Big Frank hit a 3 run homer. That was the last game I saw him play in a Sox uniform, so I saw him go out in style.

My last game seeing him live too. The Sox just couldn't do anything against the D-Rays pitching, and it looked like a sure-loss, then Frank saved the day with a monster 3-run bomb in the bottom of the 8th. A great game!

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM

Lip talks about this game as being the genesis of the Hawk-as-GM project. I guess Hawk and Drysdale were riding LaRussa (and really Hemond even moreso, in a subtle way) about bringing Stanton in and not having anyone else to go to.

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I know that bad feeling all too well. I have it several times a year and it always, unfortunately, seems to come true. It happened with Foulke a few times against Seattle and Minnesota, especially that Denny Hocking game, and this year a few times, including games against the Royals later in the year.

The Hocking game in Minnesota, the Giambi game at home in 2002, the meltdown in Seattle in 2001. I know that same feeling...

Brian26
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Anyone remember the Ozzie Guillen butcher-boy play to beat Oakland at home in 1985? I don't remember all of the details. It was a tie game in the bottom of the 9th, a guy on third, and Guillen squared around to bunt, then pulled his back bat and chopped at the pitch, just getting enough of it to go over the third baseman's head and bring the winning run home. I don't think I've seen that play executed like that since then.

soxinem1
02-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Anyone remember the Ozzie Guillen butcher-boy play to beat Oakland at home in 1985? I don't remember all of the details. It was a tie game in the bottom of the 9th, a guy on third, and Guillen squared around to bunt, then pulled his back bat and chopped at the pitch, just getting enough of it to go over the third baseman's head and bring the winning run home. I don't think I've seen that play executed like that since then.

I remember the game, I remember prior to that Ozzie always faking to do that, then once he got that hit I don't think he ever did it again!

We may have to ask Hawk or Ozzie himself. My hunch tells me it's the Yankees they were playing, but I could be wrong.

Sox83Kid
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I cant believe no one has mentioned this game.

Sept. 17th 1983
The Sox clinched the AL west division against the Seattle Mariners. Harold Baines hit a sac fly to right to score Julio Juice Cruz in the bottom of the 9th inning. I remember that game lasted forever because of the rain delays but it was alllll worth it. It was a special night for this 11 year old.

That was my second-favorite game of all time--the one that made me a Sox fan in the first place! (also at 11 years old) :D:

fuzzy_patters
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Most exciting games I've been to:
May 12, 2000 when Jeff Abbott hit the two out two run game winning homer off Eddie Guardado to beat the Twins 4-3. It was pretty much THE game that propelled us to the Division Crown in 2000.

I was at that game, too. It was awesome, but I also froze my butt off. That was the night that I learned the Sox do not sell blankets.

fuzzy_patters
02-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Another great game that has not been mentioned happened at Yankee Stadium circa 1991-ish. Melido Perez threw a rain shortened no-hitter, but that was not the highlight of the game. The highlight was Lance Johnson hitting his first career homerun after over 600 career at bats, and it went into the upper deck!

One more unmentioned game was the game where Ozzie and Craig Grebeck went back-to-back on Nolan Ryan. That was pretty incredible as well.

TommyJohn
02-09-2006, 11:24 AM
One more unmentioned game was the game where Ozzie and Craig Grebeck went back-to-back on Nolan Ryan. That was pretty incredible as well.

And then when Ryan faced Grebeck in Texas, he nailed him with a pitch.
So I never want to hear about how Ryan was one of the "classy" players
in baseball.

geraldfritz
02-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I have one. July 1, 1990. The 80th anniversity of the old park's opening. I went to the game with my grandfather to watch the sox beat the yankees 4-0, despite getting no-hit by the yanks.

Still have the commemorative bat from that game too.

dlee120
02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I was at the May 2002 game vs the Mariners. It wasnt exciting as in thrilling, and the Sox lost this one bad...but a great individual performance and rare feats made it exciting. Mike Cameron hit 4 home runs this game (5th AB he took it to the warning track in right, i was cheering for him at that point). Cameron and Bret Boone also went back to back TWICE in the first inning. I am sure i will never see anything like that again. Jon Rauch and Jim Parque combined to make this game unforgetable.

:butter
"i was just coming off arm surgery and could only top out at 87"

soxinem1
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I was at the May 2002 game vs the Mariners. It wasnt exciting as in thrilling, and the Sox lost this one bad...but a great individual performance and rare feats made it exciting. Mike Cameron hit 4 home runs this game (5th AB he took it to the warning track in right, i was cheering for him at that point). Cameron and Bret Boone also went back to back TWICE in the first inning. I am sure i will never see anything like that again. Jon Rauch and Jim Parque combined to make this game unforgetable.

:butter
"i was just coming off arm surgery and could only top out at 87"

http://www.rookiesquantities.com/Images/B93_611.jpg
'I was the winning pitcher. In fact it was one of the last games as a starter I won in the big leagues'

NEPA SoxFan24
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
[quote=Max Power]

This game was my first game at Comiskey. I sat in the back of the left firld seats, and it was a thrill to watch Jack dominate the A's, Dave Henderson go down for the year, and Sammy hit one in the upper deck right above my head (tragically couldn't see the scoreboard go off, though...) The ticket stub and a picture fron the LF picnic area of Ivan Calderon are framed above my computer.:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Somebody mentioned the night that Fisk tripled to beat the A's. That was the next night, and my last game at old Comiskey. I was sold a seat that had already been removed.:mad: