PDA

View Full Version : 2006 editions of baseball video games

mrwag
02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know if any White Sox player will be on the cover of upcoming 2006 baseball video games? I'm sick of seeing the Yankmees and Red Sox on the boxes. Paulie or Dye should be somewhere on a video game for crying out loud.

psyclonis
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
MLB '06: The Show for PS2 will have Ortiz.
MLB 2006 for PS2 will have Guerrero.
MLB 2K6 for all systems will have Jeter.

There will be no EA sports MLB game. :(:

mrwag
02-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I did find this video

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/mlb06theshow/media.html

It's a computer generated hi-light reel of the 2005 World Series. Pretty funny, especially with MB getting thrown out.

NardiWasHere
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Is 2k6 the only MLB game for xbox?

Taliesinrk
02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Is 2k6 the only MLB game for xbox?
better question.. is it the only game for xbox 360? i wish mvp 06 was compatible with the 360.. the 360 games that are out and are to be released have really dissapointed me (i only have sports)..

Fenway
02-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know if any White Sox player will be on the cover of upcoming 2006 baseball video games? I'm sick of seeing the Yankmees and Red Sox on the boxes. Paulie or Dye should be somewhere on a video game for crying out loud.

This won't make you feel any better
http://www.2ksports.com/media/eventview.php?id=2111&gid=20

In mid January Major League Baseball (http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k6/) cover athlete Derek Jeter and Red Socks pitcher Josh Beckett headed to southern California to shoot the TV commercial for Major League Baseball 2K6 (http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k6/).

http://www.2ksports.com/_img/events/event_mlb2k6commercial_011306_1.jpg

Kwrubac
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM

They can have the covers of video games, I'm pretty sure the Sox are more than happy with that beautiful trophy and those championship rings!

pearso66
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM

I had no idea there were more than 1 game put out by MLB. What is the difference between the two? Is one more doing stuff outside teh game, and the other more of just baseball?

IspepAloc
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
better question.. is it the only game for xbox 360? i wish mvp 06 was compatible with the 360.. the 360 games that are out and are to be released have really dissapointed me (i only have sports)..
MLB 2k6 is the only game on Gamecube, Xbox, and 360. The 360 version will be out later than the other two (4/10, I believe). I am picking up the 360 when it comes out.

These are the only games coming out this year. MLB 2006 with Vlad was last season's. I didn't put the PS2, Cube, and Xbox boxes because they are the same main art, but different header..

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/260608.jpghttp://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/260632.jpghttp://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/260419.jpg

NSSoxFan
02-07-2006, 05:45 PM
They have the covers, we have the championship.

NardiWasHere
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Has anyone ever played a 2K-mlb game? I was always a High Heat then MVP guy.... this better not suck. I've waited a long time to play a baseball video game with the Sox as the #1 ranked team.

Brian26
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.2ksports.com/_img/events/event_mlb2k6commercial_011306_1.jpg

It's strange to see Beckett in the Carmines uni before he's ever actually pitched a game for them.

Chicago
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Even after MVP '05 did their online updates, the sox were only bumped up to 9th.

I've played the '05 versions of the previous games and IMO MVP was the best. The controls, graphics, game play...

munchman33
02-07-2006, 10:59 PM

Yeah, its obvious Microsoft rushed the product out without the necessary library or support. The perception being created can only hurt them when the other two next gen systems are released.

SoxFan76
02-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Jeter has some kind of deal with 2k sports, no?

IspepAloc
02-08-2006, 01:11 AM

I've greatly enjoyed Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted. While the sports games have been a disappointment, there are a few other decent games worth checking out.

Iwritecode
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM

I mentioned this to my wife one day at Blockbuster.

The Red Sox win the World Series so they get a player on the cover of a video game.

The White Sox win the World Series so the Yankees get a player on the cover of a video game. Makes perfect sense.

RallyBowl
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Here's the question- I only buy EA sports games. Which of the new games is going to play like MYP did? By that I mean graphics, motion and playability.

eriqjaffe
02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Here's the question- I only buy EA sports games. Which of the new games is going to play like MYP did? By that I mean graphics, motion and playability.Well, EA is making a game this year, but it's college baseball.

IspepAloc
02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Here's the question- I only buy EA sports games. Which of the new games is going to play like MYP did? By that I mean graphics, motion and playability.
My guess is MLB 2k6 from 2k Sports. They seem to have added a lot of insiders edge information to make the game more realistic. Graphics aren't bad for the current gen systems, but nothing has been released for the 360 version. I'm personally buying the 360 version when it comes out.

I was in the same boat you were with EA games early on, but switched to NFL 2k series on dreamcast and later on Xbox and have found them to be more enjoyable if not better than the Madden counterparts. MVP Baseball was clearly better last season, but I think that 2k sports will capitalize on the exclusive 3rd Party license are produce a quality product.

nedlug
02-10-2006, 11:17 AM
From everything I hear, EA has really been slipping lately by not updating their games a whole lot. Also, I truly believe that competition will drive games to be better, and these exclusivity agreements with the NFL and MLB are really alarming IMO. I hope that the leagues will go away from the way they've been heading the last couple of years.

As for sports games other than EA, I am playing 2k6 college hoops, and it is miles ahead of MM2005 IMO.

lostletters
02-10-2006, 12:57 PM
EA lost thier license for MLB. Only console makers and Take-Two can make baseball games now.

I think it sucks that there are now white sox players on these games covers, but I really do not care either.

What does piss me off is the fact they did not get the white sox ranking even close in MLB 2k5 world series edition. They ranked the yankees number one across the board, when thier pitching and defense was terrible. If anything they need to change next year is how they rank teams, if the white sox are not number 1 for pitching and in the top 5 for defense in the new editions, something is seriously wrong.

StockdaleForVeep
02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Maybe the comercial should have pods running past jeter with all star ballots in his hand, sorta like the manic mailman scene

http://introvert.net/images/2004/01/use-zip-code.jpg

Kuzman
02-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe the comercial should have pods running past jeter with all star ballots in his hand, sorta like the manic mailman scene

http://introvert.net/images/2004/01/use-zip-code.jpg

:cubune
Perhaps with this on there somewhere too.

koch44
02-10-2006, 04:53 PM
In this picture they show the Fan Deck in center, and the walls are painted green.

http://www.2ksports.com/media/screen.php?id=2143&gid=19&platform=

In the trailer you can see the new upper deck and the fundamentals area briefly.

http://www.2ksports.com/media/movie.php?id=2088&gid=1&platform=

It looks like they've actually put work in this game, so I'm going to pick it up.

ChiFabulous1
02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
The controls for 2k6 are going to be a nightmare. Traditionally you tap a button to make your player swing. In this game you have to pull back on the analog stick and release it at the correct time to swing the bat.

TheDarkGundam
02-10-2006, 09:35 PM
I mentioned this to my wife one day at Blockbuster.

The Red Sox win the World Series so they get a player on the cover of a video game.

The White Sox win the World Series so the Yankees get a player on the cover of a video game. Makes perfect sense.
While you are true, it's not like the Sox are the first to not get a player on the cover of a videogame. IIRC, they didn't put the Marlins on any covers.

Soxaholic
02-11-2006, 12:13 AM
The exclusive agreement doesn't stop EA from making a MLB baseball game. The contract with Take-Two and the MLB only allows 2K Games to make games multiplatform. If EA really wanted to, they could make a MLB game exlcusive to the PS2 (where they get most of their money from anyway) but they chose to make NCAA Baseball for all the platforms. They may change their opinion next year if they don't see a nice profit. If Microsoft could have done something with the High Heat license that they bought a few years ago, then the Xbox might have a second option, but they never made obe game after 3DO went under. It used to be the best baseball game on the market (with bad visuals.)

ViPeRx007
02-11-2006, 04:03 AM
The controls for 2k6 are going to be a nightmare. Traditionally you tap a button to make your player swing. In this game you have to pull back on the analog stick and release it at the correct time to swing the bat.
That's how the new MVP is though too. They switched from the button to the analog swing...same with throwing the ball in the field.

I actually like it better than just tapping a button. It's a bit harder, but it feels better for some reason..like you're more into the swing.

It's different, but it's fun. Just the fact that they are trying new things is cool to me. It's not just the same game as last year with an updated title, menu screens, and rosters. That's the #1 thing I've been worried about since this whole exclusive license thing. With no competition, they could potentially just keep the game the same and sell it as MLB (insert year here) and people would be forced to buy it. I mean, if you want an "updated" MLB game with current rosters, there isn't much of a choice for the consumer. Exclusive licensing is BS.

IspepAloc
03-03-2006, 01:46 PM
MLB '06: The Show is out now. I managed to rent it at Blockbuster. First off, the schedule is incorrect. It shows the Sox starting on the 3rd. Also, Fundamentals is in the game and the outfield "hall of fame" wall doesn't display harold baines, fisk, etc. It displays faces of current White Sox players. When you hit a homer, the pinwheels spin :D:. Also, it appears the green seats are in the upper deck, but lower deck still has blue.

Player models aren't bad, some of the players do look like their counterparts. The crowd looks like your average Playstation 1 crowds, nothing special here. Controls aren't too bad. There's no meter for throwing to first base and the controls for pitching are different than MVP.

Overall, so far I'd give the game a 3.5/5 overall. I'm looking forward to trying out MLB 2k6 for xbox and i'm definately buying it for the 360. If anyone is wondering, opening day ended with the White Sox winning 4-2 with Buehrle pitching 8 strong innings for the win and a save by Big Bobby.

0o0o0
03-03-2006, 03:23 PM
MLB 2006 with Vlad was last season's.

i wouldn't have minded if they put him on the cover again cause most likely it would have been a shot of him grounding out to uribe one of the six thousand times he did it in the alcs

Jurr
03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
I absolutely ****ing REFUSE to play that 2K6 crap. My buddy had 2K5, and it was absolutely horrible. Guess the pitch...if you get it right, you get into a rapid button tapping duel with another person to see if you get to hit a homer. WHAT????

If anybody needs the entire rosters for MVP 05 that have been updated as of a week ago, I have it all on a memory card. I would be happy to copy it for you if you send me a card.

FedEx227
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I absolutely ****ing REFUSE to play that 2K6 crap. My buddy had 2K5, and it was absolutely horrible. Guess the pitch...if you get it right, you get into a rapid button tapping duel with another person to see if you get to hit a homer. WHAT????

Yeah they threw that out. Their hitting is now very similar to NCAA Baseballs with the Stick, only they claim it works much much better and is much more fluid (THANK GOD).

I'm def. going to 2k6 this year, it'll play most like MVP, but with honestly better graphics. I wouldn't touch that MLB 2006 The Show, looks like a PS1 game, plays like a Genesis game.

gobears1987
03-03-2006, 11:24 PM
What game will be released for PC?

eriqjaffe
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
What game will be released for PC?I don't think any of them will be.

Trav
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I have MLB 06 The Show and I am suprised how much I like it. I had their version last year as well as MVP 05 and only played the MLB for the career mode. This year, with no MLB EA game it seems that MLB 06 The Show has taken 90% of the good things from EA sports (the best version, IMO) and put them in the game. MLB 06 The show is worth the money. The Sox are number 3 overall if I remember right.

IspepAloc
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I have MLB 06 The Show and I am suprised how much I like it. I had their version last year as well as MVP 05 and only played the MLB for the career mode. This year, with no MLB EA game it seems that MLB 06 The Show has taken 90% of the good things from EA sports (the best version, IMO) and put them in the game. MLB 06 The show is worth the money. The Sox are number 3 overall if I remember right.

Let me add a few more opinions that i have:

After giving up 3 triples and 2 in the park homers, I've come to think that something is up with the fielding. I line drive, right to Dye in right field would almost always miss the ball and would wind up getting either a triple or all the way in. Another thing I've noticed is that no matter what pitcher I have, I throw at least 5-7 wild pitches per game. In order to not do this, you have to aim your pitches higher up in the strike zone. I've tried this with several pitchers and pitches and thats the case, as well as with both Meter and Classic pitching options.

Graphics for the stadiums are like Playstation 1 graphics. The grass is flat, the crowd is just standing there. The only things that are relatively decent looking are the players.

IMO, this game is more of a filler and will hope that the 2K6 series is much better. MVP '05 from last year and even MVP '06 is much better. The more I play MLB '06: The Show, the more I find wrong with it.

From what I've read there's no baseball games coming out on PC since there's no First Party for PC. Only chance would be 2K6, and according to 2ksports.com, 2K6 will only be on PSP, PS2, Xbox, and 360.

jake5824
03-06-2006, 04:58 PM
im STILL playing my ESPN 2k4 baseball for Xbox. i love the pitching and batting, the new baseball games make it more of a chore to baserun it sucks, and you could not follow the pitches as well when it left the pitchers hands in 2k5 i remember.

only drawback in playing a baseball game 2 yrs old is I had to create alot of my players now Iguchi, Bobby jenks and I had to mess around with the roster editor ALOT!

Sox-on-TV44
03-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Will there be any White Sox "Throwback" jerseys in the games?

Plus,some Baseball games had modes where you could unlock "Classic" stadiums.I'm just hoping they including "Old" Comiskey Park.After all,MVP 05 included Tiger Stadium,Astrodome (circa 1999),and The Vet in Philladelphia,stadiums that don't come close to Comiskey when it comes to charm and history!!!!!

Hoffdaddydmb
03-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I was seriously ticked when I found out last year that MVP wasn't going to be back for 2006. The least these new games could've done is put Konerko or Dye on the cover. I'm gonna listen in to what everyone on here is saying before I buy a new baseball game. The jury is still out for me.

Trav
03-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Will there be any White Sox "Throwback" jerseys in the games?

Plus,some Baseball games had modes where you could unlock "Classic" stadiums.I'm just hoping they including "Old" Comiskey Park.After all,MVP 05 included Tiger Stadium,Astrodome (circa 1999),and The Vet in Philladelphia,stadiums that don't come close to Comiskey when it comes to charm and history!!!!!

One game a while back had Cleveland's old Ballpark so that is encouraging. Perhaps we are next.

Does anyone remember the game that has "old'' feway and wrigley? That sucked.

Sox-on-TV44
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
One game a while back had Cleveland's old Ballpark so that is encouraging. Perhaps we are next.

Does anyone remember the game that has "old'' feway and wrigley? That sucked.
The "Mistake By The Lake"?

Damn!Now I know they better have Old Comiskey in this season,if they had the city dump in Cleveland!

russ99
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, EA is making a game this year, but it's college baseball.

MVP College Baseball 06 is a thing of beauty. it has every major NCAA team and a great franchise mode with new player recruiting. The create-a-park and create-a-school features are excellent.

I like the hitting with the analog stick- it feels perfect for inside-out and slap hitting swings, but I had to switch the fielding throws back to the old MVP 05 way. You can also switch the hitting control scheme to old MVP 05 way and guess-the-pitch hitting, if you like that sort of thing (ick).

I'm really looking forward to MLB 2k6 for my PSP, which has yet to get a decent full-featured baseball game.

miker
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I like the hitting with the analog stick- it feels perfect for inside-out and slap hitting swings, but I had to switch the fielding throws back to the old MVP 05 way. You can also switch the hitting control scheme to old MVP 05 way and guess-the-pitch hitting, if you like that sort of thing (ick).

Yes, but does it featuring the authentic "ping" sound when you get jammed and still hit the ball 350 feet?

esbrechtel
03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
is joe crede in MLB 06 the show? i saw a roster screen and they had mackowiak at third? i was thinking about picking it up but joe is one of my favorite players and i wouldnt buy it if i had to create him....

Trav
03-27-2006, 07:48 AM
MVP College Baseball 06 is a thing of beauty. it has every major NCAA team and a great franchise mode with new player recruiting. The create-a-park and create-a-school features are excellent.

I'm really looking forward to MLB 2k6 for my PSP, which has yet to get a decent full-featured baseball game.

The College Baseball idea was a grand one. Too bad they went cheap and made it terrible. MVP05 is a better game, as far as gameplay goes.

Realist
03-27-2006, 10:52 AM

This (http://www.ultimatebaseballonline.com/) has been around for awhile, but I don't know if they've worked all the bugs out of it yet.

lizard6king6
04-02-2006, 03:08 AM
For everyone whos mentioned the different covers. Lets just all imagine it will be liike this:bandance: At least we can make believe
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/9427/scottpodsps2cover016fb.jpg

lizard6king6
04-02-2006, 03:13 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/Guser80/Credexbox.jpg

I also want to mention I cant take credit for any of these, I found them here
http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70949&page=21