PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, The '06 Brew Crew looking tough?

Save McCuddy's
02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I've come across several WSIers talking up this year's Miller Park squad, which gave me pause -- but they look like they've got a heck of a point.

The pitching staff which has certainly been suspect in years past is still thin at the bottom end, but Sheets, Davis and Capuano are all threats to strike out 200 and win 15 at the top of that rotation. They'll need Ohka to give them his usual 180 IP or so and scramble eggs in the 5 hole. A repeat performance from Turnbow would complete the deal pitching wise.

Good health out of Jenkins is very key, but in my opinion this line-up could project as follows which would put this team in the 90 - 94 win area. What are their series odds again?

1. Clark .290 10 HR 10 SB .370 OBP
2. Weeks .250 17 HR 15 SB -- stud in the making
3. Jenkins .290 28 HR 35 2B 85 RBI
4. Caballo .280 33 HR 110 RBI
5. Fielder .275 27 HR 90 RBI
6. Coskie .250 20 HR 70 RBI
7. JJ Hardy .260 12 HR
8. Damian Miller .260 9 HR

Bench B. Hall .290 15 HR 15 SB
Bench C. Hart .250 10 HR 15 SB

SOXintheBURGH
02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Brew Crew are gonna rock next year, and I couldn't be more excited for both the team and their fans. I would love to see them put together an 03 Marlins-esque season (only to fall in the World Series to Chicago). I hope Weeks does a lot better than .250/17/15 though.. wouldn't mind .300/10/20-30.

Chisox003
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm telling you, the Brewers are taking that division and the Pirates are taking the Wild Card .... Book it!

:cool:

Crede_Fan
02-07-2006, 11:00 AM
I would love to see a Brewers/White Sox World Series!

Hangar18
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM

FOX and ESPN wouldnt want this no way in hell. This comment alone has netword execs calling MLB ....... to make sure this doesnt happen :D:

samram
02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm telling you, the Brewers are taking that division and the Pirates are taking the Wild Card .... Book it!

:cool:

Well, no on the Pirates. The Brewers will certainly contend if their starting pitching is good. That means Sheets has to be healthy, Davis and Capuano have to perform close to how they did last year, and Bush and Okha have to be decent.

FedEx227
02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I love the Brewers this year, the pitching for once looks solid, and the lineup looks nice with a nice mix of speed and power (hmmm?)

Might be a lil quick to put Prince Fielder at 27 HRs, 90 RBIs though.

I think its very possible with all the Central teams taking a step back that the Brewers win this division. But Pirates...eh...no.

MUsoxfan
02-07-2006, 12:15 PM
They also have Kolb back. That's good because the Brewers have a tradition of having good relief pitching that's only good for them. Once they get traded, then they stink. (Kolb, DeJean, Leskanic etc)

Hangar18
02-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I think its very possible with all the Central teams taking a step back that the Brewers win this division. But Pirates...eh...no.

The Pirates have been taking a step back every year since they let Bonds go. They are an awful organization. They had some pretty good players and traded them to the same team over and over and got NOTHING in return.
Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez? Idiots.

DaleJRFan
02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
The Pirates have been taking a step back every year since they let Bonds go. They are an awful organization. They had some pretty good players and traded them to the same team over and over and got NOTHING in return.
Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez? Idiots.

Tomorrow is Wednesday... Arnie Munoz and Joe Borchard for Jason Bay?

MUsoxfan
02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Tomorrow is Wednesday... Arnie Munoz and Joe Borchard for Jason Bay?

Maybe the Pirates will pick up Bay's new contract and kick us back a couple mil from Borchard's signing bonus

doublem23
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
As nice as that line-up looks, the Brewers are going to sink or swim because of the following players:

Ben Sheets, Doug Davis, Chris Capuano, David Bush, Tomo Ohka, and Derek Turnbow.

Is Chris Capuano really an 18-game winner/sub-4.00 ERA kind of guy? Can Doug Davis really give you 222 IP with a 3.84 ERA? Can you get 30 starts out of Sheets? Can Tomo Ohka turn the rotation over consistently? Can Turnbow match last year's 3:1 K/BB ratio, 1.74 ERA, and 39 saves?

There lineup does look solid, but that rotation is still full of question marks. St. Louis is definitely down, Houston is an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a vest, but luckily for them, the rest of the division are clowns.

Palehose13
02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
The future for the Brewers looks promising. The people here that are actually fans of the team (read: know what is going on) expect a good season this year, but are hoping for wild card. From what I have been hearing, the fans here see 2007 as their break out year.

brewcrew/chisox
02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Not me.

:supernana: :supernana:

chisoxfanatic
02-07-2006, 06:43 PM
and the Pirates are taking the Wild Card .... Book it!

And I'm going to run on the field to intimidate Torii Hunter and beat the snout out of him the first chance I get... :redneck

soxfan123
02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
A buddy of mine is a DIE HARD Brewers fan and he has been saying for two years that this is their year. He is IN LOVE with Prince fielder and Ben Sheets. Who knows..I think they'll just miss the wild card.

areilly
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't think the Brewers have a shot at the Wild Card. Not because they're all that bad, but looking up and down the eastern seaboard I don't see how the NL East can (at this point) finish the year without two teams in the playoffs, unless the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, and Reds go a perfect .500 against each other and the Brew Crew manages to mop the floor with those four teams.

The NL West is shaping up to be a joke again. I don't care who signs who, there is no way any of those teams makes it in beyond the fact that it's impossible for them all to be in last place in the same division. The same could almost hold true for the Central, where I think the Cardinals will take it not because they're that good but because the other teams are really not that great...on paper, of course. After April 2, all bets are off.

On a side note, I think this year Sheets is at a crossroads. On one hand, he could stay healthy and be the next Roger Clemens. On the other hand, he could keep getting hurt and be the next Kerry Wood. I'm rooting for the former.

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL WC: Braves

On another side note: Few things break my heart more than seeing Miller Park half-empty on weekend nights. Such a beautiful park in such a great city, it's a shame no one cares except when the Cubs are in town.

soxfanatlanta
02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd like to to see the Crew do well this year; With the Redbirds getting older, and the Stros not doing much of anything this offseason, Milwakee could do some damage. That town needs to excited about baseball again.

brewcrew/chisox
02-07-2006, 10:15 PM
On a side note, I think this year Sheets is at a crossroads. On one hand, he could stay healthy and be the next Roger Clemens. On the other hand, he could keep getting hurt and be the next Kerry Wood. I'm rooting for the latter.

So you're actually rooting for a player to get hurt? :?: What did Ben Sheets ever do to you? Kick your dog or something? Classy

On another side note: Few things break my heart more than seeing Miller Park half-empty on weekend nights. Such a beautiful park in such a great city, it's a shame no one cares except when the Cubs are in town.

The same could, and has been said (ad nauseum) about the White Sox in the past. So much, in fact, that the mere mention of the 'A' word on this forum will get you banned. Brewer fans, like Sox fans, leave that obsession to the Cub fans. While still in the lower half in the league, the Brewers drew over 2 million in 2005, and this for the first team with anything close to a winning record in fourteen years.. Milwaukee will support a team, but not the dreck that Bud Selig and his daughter dragged out year in and year out.

Whitesox029
02-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I came up to Miller last year in July to see a game vs. San Fran...their bullpen blew that particular game pretty badly, but I really like the looks of Brady Clark. Wouldn't mind having him in center or left field at 35th and Shields.

TomBradley72
02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
.On another side note: Few things break my heart more than seeing Miller Park half-empty on weekend nights. Such a beautiful park in such a great city, it's a shame no one cares except when the Cubs are in town.

They should have built Miller Park downtown...right there on Water St...where there's just a huge parking lot across from Mel's, etc...would have drawn big crowds win or lose...not to hijack or anything...

areilly
02-07-2006, 11:42 PM
So you're actually rooting for a player to get hurt? :?: What did Ben Sheets ever do to you? Kick your dog or something? Classy

I meant "former." Original post edited. Go Ben Go!

ComiskeyBrewer
02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
They should have built Miller Park downtown...right there on Water St...where there's just a huge parking lot across from Mel's, etc...would have drawn big crowds win or lose...not to hijack or anything...

True, but that would take away from one of the biggest Milwaukee Baseball traditions: Tailgating. That was probably the biggest reason they built the park next to Co. Stadium's old site. As much as i would love to have the stadium downtown, i love being able to tailgate more(also, getting in and out at a decent time)

fquaye149
02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
The future for the Brewers looks promising. The people here that are actually fans of the team (read: know what is going on) expect a good season this year, but are hoping for wild card. From what I have been hearing, the fans here see 2007 as their break out year.

This is dead on. 2006 will be above .500, I should think. But I doubt on a playoff spot. the pitching is going to be a huge issue, and although Mike Maddux has shown talent as a pitching coach, it's unlikely that there's going to be results this quickly.

The big question is how these rookie studs will mature. I don't think Fielder is going to mash this year. If he can develop though, next year will be nasty. Same with the likes of Hardy, Weeks, and Hall, who all have superstar talent. We'll see what 2006 brings, but I'd put my money on 2007 for the Brewers in the playoffs, if I were y'all.

FedEx227
02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
True, but that would take away from one of the biggest Milwaukee Baseball traditions: Tailgating. That was probably the biggest reason they built the park next to Co. Stadium's old site. As much as i would love to have the stadium downtown, i love being able to tailgate more(also, getting in and out at a decent time)

Thats just it. Downtown parks usually don't bring in the tailgating as much as it would in a designated spot. I think right now its fine. I know the new fad is having your park downtown so you can have odd dimenson and Steel factories hanging into your park, but Miller is in a fantastic location. Insanely easy to get to "Hmmm Miller Park Way". It has the same great tailgating tradition it always had, and its super easy to get out of there and just get right back on the highway.

MUsoxfan
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure. That parking lot across from Mel's isn't really all that large, and MSOE has some newer buildings over there I'm sure they weren't willing to sell. Farther north on the river there's some open industrial space that isn't being used (Schlitz Brewery), but space limits the tailgating. Tailgating in Milwaukee is nearly as important as the game itself.

When it's all said it done, the current location isn't that bad. A 3-minute drive down 94 that goes right into huge parking lots that cost $6 to park in. People without cars can take a shuttle down Wisconsin Ave.

And as we all know....winning=crowds (and fung) and the Brewers are now starting to win. Thanks Mr. Attanasio!

JohnBasedowYoda
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM

That would rock. A wave of southsiders invading Miller Park for game four......
Like the ride of the freakin Valkyries.

ChiSox36
02-12-2006, 01:03 AM
The Brewers have a chance to contend this year, but the Cardinals will still beat them out. 2007 may hold higher hopes for them.

SOXSINCE'70
02-12-2006, 10:27 AM
As long as they kick the ass of "the inferior North Side Club",
I wish them all the luck in the world.Personally,I think they'll
contend for the wild card,but fall a little short.2007 will be
the break out year.

soxinem1
02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I like the Brewers as a real sleeper. The make up of that team, plus their manager, will hopefully be a good story.

I have a lot of respect for LaRussa's work in STL, but I'm not too quick to hand the Cards that division. That INF looks a bit scary, minus Pujols, and adding Juan Encarnacion as a regular seems to be a feud waiting to happen, especially when JE starts pulling his hotdog crap.

Plus, other than Carpenter, that whole pitching staff is made up of mid-level stuff guys who seem to be tapping out a bit. I just don't see the dominance anymore. And I'll take Capuano and Davis (what a find!!) over Mulder and Suppan any day. Brewer pitchers were second in K's last year. Even in 1982 when they went to the World Series the Brewers never had a lot of power pitchers. This staff is good, and Sheets isn't even the ace. Additionally, the primary bullpen pitchers average a KO an inning. Turnbow, like Davis, was another find off a scrap heap.

Edmunds is still good, but he's going to be 36, an uncomfortable age for a CF not known for his speed.

In all honesty, STL has a lot of question marks in areas, like the INF and OF, where Milwaukee has depth.

While STL is a class organization, I think it's possible we may see a changing of the guard as a early as this year. If not, the cracks are starting to show.

RedPinStripes
02-12-2006, 06:54 PM

Me too. Just like old times when the Brewers were in the AL west. Good rivalry, fans had fun with it, and the Sox beat the crap out of the Brewers. :D:

doublem23
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Me too. Just like old times when the Brewers were in the AL west. Good rivalry, fans had fun with it, and the Sox beat the crap out of the Brewers. :D:

I just looked it up on baseball-reference.com because I never knew the Brewers were in the AL West, but indeed they were for 3 seasons. You learn something new on this board every damn day, I tells ya.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/

mmmmmbeeer
02-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I wish I could remember his name, but didn't the guy from the Brewers org. that essentially put this team together (acquired the young talent) come over to the Sox a couple years back? I want to say he's the one that built their farm, but this current batch of prospects may have come after his departure.

soxfanatlanta
02-15-2006, 08:07 AM

Oh the good old days. Anybbody remember Jonathan Brandmeier's song "Der Milwaukee Polka"? Good to see the Crew getting some excitement, they have been down and out for too long.

Realist
02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
The Brewers and Blue Jays are my "under the radar" picks for 2006.

JoeH33
02-20-2006, 06:53 PM
This staff is good, and Sheets isn't even the ace.
I was just curious what you really meant by this since Ben is without a doubt the ace of our staff.
He's some stats from the past two seasons
W L ERA G GS CG SO WHIP SLG OBA OPS K/9
2004 12 14 2.70 34 34 5 264 0.98 .383 .255 .638 10.03
2005 10 9 3.33 22 22 3 141 1.07 .385 .270 .655 8.10
He may not have had as many wins as say,Cappy last season, but he is still the ace of our staff.

Hangar18
02-20-2006, 06:56 PM
If im not mistaken, The Brewers are the only team to have been in every division in the AL too. Too bad they sold their history out by going NL ......

The Critic
02-20-2006, 07:03 PM
I love the Brew Crew, but I think they're still too thin in pitching.
I've said it before, the Brewers won't win the division but they'll have a LARGE impact in deciding who does.

soxinem1
02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I was just curious what you really meant by this since Ben is without a doubt the ace of our staff.
He's some stats from the past two seasons
W L ERA G GS CG SO WHIP SLG OBA OPS K/9
2004 12 14 2.70 34 34 5 264 0.98 .383 .255 .638 10.03
2005 10 9 3.33 22 22 3 141 1.07 .385 .270 .655 8.10
He may not have had as many wins as say,Cappy last season, but he is still the ace of our staff.

I beg to differ. Going into this season Capuano or Davis earn that right. Especially Davis. I remember a few years ago this guy was given up for dead by both Texas and Toronto in the same season. And Capuano was just plain tough the last couple months.

Trust me, it's a pleasant dilemma to have. I think the three of them can go with anyone in that division, especially if Clemens does not come back to Houston. And Ohka pitched well to, he adds a different look to the rotation.

If Helling or Capellan stick as #5, and the team hits, look out folks, this team will be tough.

I am going on a limb. As Lou Brown said:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:WI1Bylv8A65CFM:www.cinemamontreal.com/images/people-391-jamesgammon.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cinemamontreal.com/images/people-391-jamesgammon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cinemamontreal.com/aw/cpea.aw/p.cm/r.que/m.Montreal/j.e/i.391/a.James_Gammon.html&h=200&w=140&sz=11&tbnid=WI1Bylv8A65CFM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=69&hl=en&start=19&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522James%2BGammon%2522%26svnum%3D10 %26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2005-46,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN) I think they are contenders now!

JoeH33
02-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I beg to differ. Going into this season Capuano or Davis earn that right. Especially Davis.
I'll agree that Davis was probably our "ace" last year but that was only because Sheets missed a lot of time with an inner ear infection and a back muscle injury (i forgot what exactly he tore). Cappy did have a good year as far as wins go but really didnt put up that great numbers. So I'll agree that Sheets may not have been our ace last year, but he's still by far our best pitcher.

2005 ERA WHIP
Sheets - 3.33 1.07
Davis - 3.84 1.30
Cappy - 3.99 1.38
When judging pitchers I like to use walks/hits per innings pitched (WHIP) and as you can see Sheets' is far superior to Davis and Capuano. Being a fairly die hard Brewer fan and watching a good majority of their games I can tell you that Cappy was pretty lucky in alot of games, escaping from jams many times.

Capuano was just plain tough the last couple months I feel kinda like a jerk arguing about this when you're complimenting my team's players, but this really wasn't the case.
Cappy's WHIP by Month
Mar/April - 1.66
May - 0.91
June - 1.59
July - 1.29
August- 1.40
Sept/Oct- 1.62

Cappy's ERA by Month
Mar/April - 4.76
May - 1.94
June - 4.15
July - 4.21
Aug - 3.73
Sept/Oct - 5.57

soxinem1
02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
I'll agree that Davis was probably our "ace" last year but that was only because Sheets missed a lot of time with an inner ear infection and a back muscle injury (i forgot what exactly he tore). Cappy did have a good year as far as wins go but really didnt put up that great numbers. So I'll agree that Sheets may not have been our ace last year, but he's still by far our best pitcher.

2005 ERA WHIP
Sheets - 3.33 1.07
Davis - 3.84 1.30
Cappy - 3.99 1.38
When judging pitchers I like to use walks/hits per innings pitched (WHIP) and as you can see Sheets' is far superior to Davis and Capuano. Being a fairly die hard Brewer fan and watching a good majority of their games I can tell you that Cappy was pretty lucky in alot of games, escaping from jams many times.

I feel kinda like a jerk arguing about this when you're complimenting my team's players, but this really wasn't the case.
Cappy's WHIP by Month
Mar/April - 1.66
May - 0.91
June - 1.59
July - 1.29
August- 1.40
Sept/Oct- 1.62

Cappy's ERA by Month
Mar/April - 4.76
May - 1.94
June - 4.15
July - 4.21
Aug - 3.73
Sept/Oct - 5.57

Okay, the ERA might have been a bit high because of his last few starts, but he never got really bombed. In fact, all year he failed to pitch at least 5 innings, what, twice? I'll take that anyday.