PDA

View Full Version : A busy DL?

kingpin_rcs
02-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I am as optomistic as anyone about the up 2006 season. I truly belive that the Sox are the team to beat in the AL and by default in all of MLB.

However, I am a little concerned about the potential for injuries. Of course, this is true any year any reason. My biggest concern is the starting rotation. 3 of the starting 5 were in the top 10 in IP (Garcia-4th, Garland -8th and Buehrle-1st). Mark Buehrle led the league in IP again with 236.2 IP plus 23.1 IP in the post season (not to mention the all-star game). The last we saw him he, earned a save in game 3 of the WS and he was complaining that him arm felt like it was going to fall off.

I have heard that teams that go deep into October often suffer injuries the next year. This is because they contimue to play an extra month and have a month less to recouperate.

I am sure Cooper and Ozzie have thought about this and will take their time with Mark as well as the other pitchers but I think it's a valid concern.

I am concerned about Thome for obvious reasons.

Hermanson and Crede had back trouble during the second half and Pods had two hernias repaired.

Am I over analysing this?

kittle42
02-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Hermiston rules!

IlliniSox4Life
02-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Of course, this is true any year any reason.

Yes. See your above statement.

Chicken Dinner
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
You need to start thinking positive instead of all this negative stuff.

Jaffar
02-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Hermiston rules!
Post of the year, I laughed out loud at work, I guess it just hit me right.

oeo
02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I hope I don't jinx anything here, so knock on wood. But both Garland and Buehrle are not overpowering pitchers (they go for the out, not the strikeout) and I don't think they will get injured [anything can happen though]. They don't have to throw as many pitches as say, a Randy Johnson. I really don't think IP is an accurate statistic to measure this, it should be how many pitches they are throwing. If you don't throw as many pitches, you can go further in the game and rack up more innings.

Flight #24
02-07-2006, 09:16 AM
IIRC, while they logged a lot of innings, they didn't generally have excessive pitch counts, which I believe is more of a concern in terms of injury. Not sure how much faith I put into "pitcher abuse points" and such, but I don't recall the Sox being high up on those type of metrics.

TDog
02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I am afraid that if NBC picks up the pilot I am working on, I'll find I have cancer just at the point that I am becoming successful.

spawn
02-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I can't believe we're talking about the DL before a pitch has even been thrown...

RallyBowl
02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Hermiston rules!

You forgot about Persadnick, Peirzinsky, Behurley, Die, and Taguchi. They rule too.

Hangar18
02-07-2006, 11:11 AM
............oh how the Media will Howl if Thome ends up on the DL while the Media jumps aboard the Thomas for MVP wagon .............

ondafarm
02-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Naturally, injuries are always a concern. I don't worry about the long-term injuries, we only have two pitchers under 25 (McCarthy and Jenks) when a long-term blow out injury can occur. As for shorter term injuries, the two most important factors are rest and a good trainer. The Sox players seem to have taken their rest seriously. Even Uribe is DHing not playing shortstop in his winter ball. Buehrle and Iguchi have both pulled out of the WBC. As for a good trainer, the Sox have the best in Herm Schneider.

The Sox will have injuries this year. I hope they have no major injuries and that they can manage around the short-term ones which pop up in every season.

Stoky44
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Naturally, injuries are always a concern. I don't worry about the long-term injuries, we only have two pitchers under 25 (Fingernails on a blackboard and Jenks) when a long-term blow out injury can occur. As for shorter term injuries, the two most important factors are rest and a good trainer. The Sox players seem to have taken their rest seriously. Even Uribe is DHing not playing shortstop in his winter ball. Buehrle and Iguchi have both pulled out of the WBC. As for a good trainer, the Sox have the best in Herm Schneider.

The Sox will have injuries this year. I hope they have no major injuries and that they can manage around the short-term ones which pop up in every season.

Ha Ha, I bet you typed "b-m-a-c" (without the dashes). I noticed this about a week ago and made a post. Anytime you type that "bmac" will apear!:o:

doublem23
02-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Ha Ha, I bet you typed "b-m-a-c" (without the dashes). I noticed this about a week ago and made a post. Anytime you type that "Fingernails on a blackboard" will apear!:o:

West is a funny guy. :cool:

soxfan26
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
West is a funny guy. :cool:

bmac

soxfan26
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Fingernails on a blackboard

Just checking... :D:

soxfanatlanta
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Yup.

Is there anyone here that has not analyzed your very concerns to the point of smoke-out-the-ears?

Nope.

Is there anything we can do about it?

Nope, but that's O.K.

We got Coop, Ozzie, and KW who are well aware of your points, and they have it covered. We have Six (6, seis) starters in case one breaks down, and management believes Thome will not go down in flames. People come back from hernias all the time to lead productive lives. :tongue: That's good enough for me.

Stop thinking,
Get to a few games,
Eat a churros, and;
Have some faith.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-07-2006, 02:31 PM
You forgot about Persadnick, Peirzinsky, Behurley, Die, and Taguchi. They rule too.

There was a dude selling pins at Soxfest. 3 pins for $10 or something. So I got the new soxfest pin, the one that says southsider on it, and a little replica of aj's jersey on it. When I got home I noticed it said,"Pierszynski.":angry:

Also does grandstand sell pins?

DaleJRFan
02-07-2006, 03:25 PM

bmac

DaleJRFan
02-07-2006, 03:26 PM

blahahahaha... that's good.

delben91
02-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Hermiston rules!

Post of the year, I laughed out loud at work, I guess it just hit me right.

Had me rolling too. POTW for kittle42. No question...Hermiston does rule. :D: