PDA

View Full Version : AL West '06 Preview on mlb.com

chisoxmike
02-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Per their pre-season predictions articles this week...

1. A's 2. Mariners 3. Angels 4. Rangers

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20060203&content_id=1305862&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

palehozenychicty
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't see the Mariners rising past the Angels. They are counting on Adrian Beltre to rebound, when his '04 was a contract year. The Angels didn't do much offensively, but they'll be fine. If anything, they needed another starter, as Colon and Escobar have injury concerns. It'll come down to the A's and Angels again, with the Angels squeaking by in the last couple of weeks. The A's never do anything until June, and it'll cost them again.

soxfanatlanta
02-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I can't see the Mariners rising past the Angels. They are counting on Adrian Beltre to rebound, when his '04 was a contract year. The Angels didn't do much offensively, but they'll be fine. If anything, they needed another starter, as Colon and Escobar have injury concerns. It'll come down to the A's and Angels again, with the Angels squeaking by in the last couple of weeks. The A's never do anything until June, and it'll cost them again.

I agree with your injury concerns with the Angels, if Colon's shows up for ST overweight, Bud Black just might lose it. He has to get in shape, then the guy will be much better at the end of the season. At any rate, I still think the A's are going to win it at by a nose with LAA (pending legal ruling) fading due to injuries.

soxinem1
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I think the Rangers could suprise here. Their line up is young, strong, and versatile. Their starting pitching, though not spectacular, is leaps over where it was last year, or even two years ago. Millwood, though they overspent, is a better addition than Burnett w/Toronto.

Defensively, they are underrated. They have depth in the INF and OF, and their bullpen, is better than average. Plus Frank 'Take My Chair, Please' Francisco is probably the hardest throwing set up man in MLB. If he comes back, these guys can be tough.

I think this year several teams will suprise, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee in the NL, and Texas in the AL.

Even if the Rangers don't win the AL West or the Wild Card, placing them behind Seattle is a bit silly, as that team is a wreck at multiple positions, weak defensively, and has a spotty pitching staff all the way around. Plus, with Eddie Guardado pitching with a hole in his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon, he is one pitch away from a Seattle salary dump.

So while the A's and Angels are popular and conventional choices, I think Texas is my upset special this year in the AL.

Then the Sox will beat them in the playoffs!!

chisoxmike
02-07-2006, 12:02 AM
So while the A's and Angels are popular and conventional choices, I think Texas is my upset special this year in the AL.

Just think, if the Sox, Blue Jays, and Rangers all won their divisons, what would ESPN do????

:boston
"Thats a good question Mike. We would run repeats of the CLASSIC ALCS Yankees and Red Sox games from 2003 and 2004. Then show the Yankees World Series titles in the 90s."

chisoxfanatic
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Just think, if the Sox, Blue Jays, and Rangers all won their divisons, what would ESPN do????

And the Tampa Devil Rays win the Wild Card...

EASY! They would air simulated MLB playoff games instead. :redneck

dcb56
02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
This dude is just stirring the pot with his predictions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he picks the Tigers to win the Central next week.

chisoxmike
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
This dude is just stirring the pot with his predictions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he picks the Tigers to win the Central next week.

He picked the Sox to win the Central last week.

Rooney4Prez56
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM

They would say baseball season was over and start talking about the NFL.

Etownsox13
02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
And the Tampa Devil Rays win the Wild Card...

EASY! They would air simulated MLB playoff games instead. :redneck

I can't wait...Mark Prior will be starting game #1

Baby Fisk
02-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I think the Rangers could suprise here. Their line up is young, strong, and versatile. Their starting pitching, though not spectacular, is leaps over where it was last year, or even two years ago. Millwood, though they overspent, is a better addition than Burnett w/Toronto.

Defensively, they are underrated. They have depth in the INF and OF, and their bullpen, is better than average. Plus Frank 'Take My Chair, Please' Francisco is probably the hardest throwing set up man in MLB. If he comes back, these guys can be tough.

I think this year several teams will suprise, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee in the NL, and Texas in the AL.

Even if the Rangers don't win the AL West or the Wild Card, placing them behind Seattle is a bit silly, as that team is a wreck at multiple positions, weak defensively, and has a spotty pitching staff all the way around. Plus, with Eddie Guardado pitching with a hole in his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon, he is one pitch away from a Seattle salary dump.

I agree with all of this. The Angels will fade in the second half. Oakland and Texas will battle to the wire.

SBSoxFan
02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
The A's never do anything until JuneIs this statistically significant? How can a team built on numbers be so inconsistently consistent in its poor starts? :dunno:

SectionBNole
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Haha good point SBSoxFan.

SoxFan76
02-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I can't believe Frank Thomas is on another MLB team....

And how come Frank going to Oakland is a solid pickup for a team that needed a big bat in the middle of the order, but if the Sox kept him and didn't get Thome they're taking a risk with an aging, injury prone star?*

*Yes, I know Frank isn't really "injury prone" considering he had a very long and healthy career thus far, but most seem to think he's injury prone.

gbergman
02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
A's
Angels
Rangers
Mariners