PDA

View Full Version : Girardi: No Facial Hair

Viva Medias B's
02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
In his first season as Marlins skipper, Joe Girardi has set a rule that all Marlins players must be clean shaven (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sns-ap-bbn-marlins-girardi,0,348898.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines). While the New York Yankees has restrictions on facial hair, I think Girardi's Marlins are the first team to have a complete restriction since Marge Schott had such a restriction during her infamous tenure as Reds owner.

KRS1
02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Honestly, I know the guys trying to install some sort of pride and integrity into this organization, but if I were a player there I would tell him to stuff it. They are not the spankmees and never will be, and when you are coming in as a so called 'players coach' you just dont do something like this.

santo=dorf
02-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Is anyone on the Marlins currently capable of growing facial hair?

KRS1
02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Haha.... Maybe this is just a couple year thing, so the players on the team can grow more than just a pico( 0.000000000001, so there is no confusion) stash.

MUsoxfan
02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Honestly, I know the guys trying to install some sort of pride and integrity into this organization, but if I were a player there I would tell him to stuff it. They are not the spankmees and never will be, and when you are coming in as a so called 'players coach' you just dont do something like this.

I don't really have a problem with this rule. As much as I hate the Yankees, I like that they look professional on the field. Those 2004 Red Sox were out of control. If Girardi wants to run his team like this, I don't think there's a problem with it

MarySwiss
02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
In his first season as Marlins skipper, Joe Girardi has set a rule that all Marlins players must be clean shaven (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sns-ap-bbn-marlins-girardi,0,348898.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines). While the New York Yankees has restrictions on facial hair, I think Girardi's Marlins are the first team to have a complete restriction since Marge Schott had such a restriction during her infamous tenure as Reds owner.

:?:

MarySwiss
02-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Pardon me while I exclaim:

Baseball players--IMO, it's all about--oh, I don't know--talent?

Mark Buehrle=talent--with or without whiskers.

1951Campbell
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Those 2004 Red Sox were out of control.

Pretty unprofessional of them to lose the World Series and all.

Domeshot17
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I think its funny because baseball players are so superstitious (spelling?) about facial hair. So many players dont shave during win or hitting streaks, and baseball more than any sport is a feel thing. If you feel confident you tend to do better. I know they want to look professional, but it seems extreme. Moreover, these are grown ass men ( well some of them it is Florida). Imagine if Dustin Hermanson had to be clean,and couldnt have those sweet designs in his goatee lol. I know Giradi is stealing this from the yankees, but look what it did for them,

Palehose13
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Well this is certainly different from Ozzie where everyone HAS to have facial hair. :tongue:

A. Cavatica
02-06-2006, 09:42 PM
It's just a matter of time before this policy is challenged in court. Personally, I'm with the fuzzfaces.

LuvSox
02-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm not allowed to have facial hair at work. Then again, I'm not allowed to at home either, my wife would brain me. Ah, forget it. :D:

FarSouthSoxFan
02-07-2006, 02:38 AM
I'm not allowed to have facial hair at work. Then again, I'm not allowed to at home either, my wife would brain me. Ah, forget it. :D:

Mine told me that if I shaved the goatee, I'd be forced into finding myself another woman. (If you're under 18, stop reading now) You just gotta know how to use it. :redface:

soxfanatlanta
02-07-2006, 07:48 AM

:rolling:
Good One!

Clean shaven players look professional, I must admit, but winners look the best.

RallyBowl
02-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Ha ha. Stupid baseball players. They can have their millions. I've got sideburns.

HomeFish
02-07-2006, 06:25 PM
All I know is that I shaved exactly once during the postseason: a couple of hours before Game 1 of the ALCS. By the time Game 4 rolled around, I hated the way I looked, but I refused to so much as even touch that shaver.

That's just me, a fan. I can imagine that players, whose performance often means financial loss or gain, are even more hardcore about some of their superstitions. If I were on the Marlins, I'd ask this guy who the heck he thinks he is issuing such an order.

Huisj
02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't really understand these sorts of rules very much. Some people just simply look a whole lot better with beards or goatees than they do clean shaven. I had a teacher in high school who always had a beard, and at the end of my junior year we (our class) finally convinced him to shave, and he did a few days before school was out . . . and it was definitely the last time we ever wanted him to shave. Beards just look perfectly natural on some people. If the facial hair is tasteful, I don't see how it makes someone look "unprofessional", whatever that exactly means for baseball anyway.

A. Cavatica
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
(Removed - a joke that might have been taken the wrong way.)

FireMariotti
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I wish the Bears would adopt this policy, therby forcing Kyle Orton to shave that scummy thing off his face. Ive seen 13 year olds with better looking beards.

MUsoxfan
02-07-2006, 11:08 PM
If I were on the Marlins, I'd ask this guy who the heck he thinks he is issuing such an order.

Ummm.....their boss

Railsplitter
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Anybody remember Charlie Finley? In 1972, he offered a bonus to any player who grew a moustace by Father's Day. IIRC, prectically the whole team grew a 'stache.

Iwritecode
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Some people just simply look a whole lot better with beards or goatees than they do clean shaven.

Chuck Norris
Richard Karn
Tom Selleck

(These two I'm still getting used to not having a mustache and glasses)
Alex Trebeck
Weird Al Yankovic

Any other famous facial haired men?

slavko
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Management Psychology I: Change something right away so the workers know they have a new boss. That's what Joe G is doing.

Net effect of this change = 0.0 (You thought it was going to add 5 MPH to everydody's fastballs?)

soxfan13
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I think girardi is trying to install some discipline into the team. If you have facial hair everyone knows its pretty tough to get up and shave every morning. I know myself it does take alot of discipline to do it everyday. There are mornings i just say @%$# it ill shave tomorrow LOL and then that usually turns into a week LMAO

EndemicSox
02-08-2006, 04:46 PM
MLB: building corporate sheep one day at a time...

D. TODD
02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
The rule always seemed idiotic to me. Just a manager making rules because he can. Try to win some games and quit worrying about how you like your men to look. Unless you plan on asking him on a date.

1951Campbell
02-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Any other famous facial haired men?

Jesus.

Abe Lincoln.

Adolph Hitler.

Joseph Stalin.

Do they count as famous?

:)