PDA

View Full Version : Molina, Jays close to a 1-year deal

Ol' No. 2
02-06-2006, 05:09 PM
The deal is reportedly worth $5 million with a $7.5 million option for 2007, but club officials stressed that nothing is completed yet.

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060206&content_id=1307120&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp)

samram
02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Good deal for Toronto. If they get anything from those guys at the top of the order, they should be pretty good offensively and Molina is a very good defensive catcher.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Didn't he turn down a better contract offer from the Mets earlier this offseason?

Chisox003
02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
How well does he handle a pitching staff?

He's a veteran, so I'd imagine halfway decent, plus he's got a good bat.

Toronto isn't going to sneak up on anyone, that's for sure....but they look like they could make some noise, if that pitching holds up.

samram
02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
How well does he handle a pitching staff?

The Angels have been pretty good for the last four years and he has a WS championship under his belt and he handled the AL Cy Young Award winner last season (blah blah Santana, we get it, we get it). So I would say he is a very good handler of pitching staffs. I think the Angels let him go because they have a pretty hot prospect ready to play in MLB (Jeff Mathis).

KRS1
02-06-2006, 08:18 PM
The Angels have been pretty good for the last four years and he has a WS championship under his belt and he handled the AL Cy Young Award winner last season (blah blah Santana, we get it, we get it). So I would say he is a very good handler of pitching staffs. I think the Angels let him go because they have a pretty hot prospect ready to play in MLB (Jeff Mathis).

The one knock though(beside the fact that he runs like he's pulling a freight train) is that Scioscia called pitches from the dugout.

samram
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM
The one knock though(beside the fact that he runs like he's pulling a freight train) is that Scioscia called pitches from the dugout.

Right, but I think you would agree that handling a staff is more than just pitch selection. It's also giving the pitchers confidence that he's going to help them by not letting baserunners advance with past balls, etc. Generally, it's just having a good rapport with the staff and I think he's good at that.

Corlose 15
02-06-2006, 08:22 PM
The Blue Jays are going to the World Series, book it.

Don't call the teal police I just felt like being an internet punk for a second.:cool:

In all seriousness I think its a good deal for the Blue Jays, a solid veteran presence behind the plate and a decent bat. I also think he throws out basestealers at about a 40% clip doesn't he?

palehozenychicty
02-06-2006, 09:42 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5311552

Man, I'm rooting for the Jays this year.