PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie = Ditka?

FarSouthSoxFan
02-06-2006, 12:24 PM
:iron :ozzie

I feel the same amount of man-love for these two right now. Am I right to allow Oz the same status as Iron Mike already?

TheOldRoman
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, unlike Ditka Ozzie will not rest on his laurels. He won't let the egos get too big on the team. The Sox will do what the Bears should have done: create a dynasty.

slavko
02-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Liberal use of profanity....check
Tells off nosey reporters....check
Won it all....check
Decked guy who ran onto field....Not yet

DeuceUnit
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes. In fact, once we repeat, Ozzie>Ditka.

kittle42
02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Has Ozzie traded the team's next two years of draft picks for one player yet?

rdwj
02-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Yes. In fact, once we repeat, Ozzie>Ditka.

I already like him more than Ditka, but I also think Baseball >>>>>>Football

Stoky44
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
To me Ozzie = Dikta. However, this will never be the general view of the city even if the Sox win the next 2 WS. This is because the simple fact remains Bears fans >>> Sox fans. There are a lot more bear fans in the city.

34 Inch Stick
02-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Ozzie will have to accept every two bit endorsement that comes across his agent's desk before he will even approach Coach.

rdwj
02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Ozzie will have to accept every two bit endorsement that comes across his agent's desk before he will even approach Coach.

Some of his are getting REALLY bad - that one where he's wearing a crown takes the cake.

ManagerMark
02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Ozzie and the current make up of the Sox management team is sooooooo
refreshing compared to what we had in 2000. Jerry always had me scratching my head and I was soooooooo frustrated even when we were winning. I complained about Jerry all year long and the following years. I got
my wish with Ozzie. Someone who uses common sense and makes moves that resembles someone with the heart of a lion trying to win games. The team has to feel it just like the fans do that if they lose it won't be because Ozzie didn't put them in the best situation to succeed. To me, that is the difference between what we had in 2000 and what we have now. Of course The Coach is my hero too, but Ozzie probably will be able to be the mayor in the not too distant future.

Chicken Dinner
02-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I think Ozzie needs to open a restaurant first. Lets see.......Mike called his Ditkas, what should Ozzie name his????

The Critic
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I think Ozzie needs to open a restaurant first. Lets see.......Mike called his Ditkas, what should Ozzie name his????

"Eating Is Fun, and Fun Is Eating"
"The beer tastes better...........at my restaurant!"
:D:
I already like Ozzie more than I ever liked Ditka, but like rdwj, I like baseball a LOT more than football.
Plus, Ozzie just seems a lot happier than Ditka.

rdwj
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
He's gonna open a sub sandwich place and call it Grinder Rules

SoxFan76
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm biased. Not much of a football fan (not much of a Bears fan either--can't stand the thought of cheering for the same team as Cub fans), and all the hooplah over Ditka gets annoying. I mean come on, the 85-86 Bears were pretty stacked, am I wrong?

2005 White Sox were a great team led by a great manager. There were very few, if any, stars on the team.

And baseball is MUCH better than football.

soxfanatlanta
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
If you look at the botom line performance, and the personality, then yes, they are very similar when they win. Ozzie has not been faced with a losing season, and he might respond diffrently. Not likely, but you just don't know, eh?

If you look at how they won it all, then they are different, Ditka relied heavily on Buddy Ryan's defensive scheme to get his ring (remember when both were carried off the field?) Both teams had some great talent, but I would give the Bears the edge on the fact that you had so many All-Pros that year. So IMO, Ozzie gets a slight edge in the awesomeness (no, it's not a word). His accent is pretty cool, too.

ManagerMark
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Granted the Ditka ora has grown dim, but don't forget how in the pre-Jordan era he lifted this town with his bold and brash way. He owned this town which is why it was so hard to see him get kicked to the curb by McCaskey. Be that as it may, Ozzie is on the verge of becoming a legend, not just for Sox fans but for baseball fans young and old in and around Chicago. And I am not suggesting the Cub fans are coming over, but that the luke warm baseball fans are going to continue to flock to the south side and Ozzie because this thing is growing.

Yorke97
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
He's gonna open a sub sandwich place and call it Grinder Rules

:smile:

gobears1987
02-06-2006, 04:22 PM
To me Ozzie = Dikta. However, this will never be the general view of the city even if the Sox win the next 2 WS. This is because the simple fact remains Bears fans >>> Sox fans. There are a lot more bear fans in the city.And that will always be the case because there is 1 football team. Even if Chicago is a Sox city over a Cubs city, the Bears will always rule over any baseball team. The Bears will always rule this city IMO.

DSpivack
02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
The 85 Bears were special because they were the best football team of all time, Dolphins be damned.

Ozzie will win more than one championship, though.

soxinem1
02-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Very rarely have Managers had 'larger than life' personalities. Even more rarely have fans come to a game because of the manager. After all, the players draw the fans, right?

And I will be honest, I was not all too thrilled when Ozzie was named Manager, I thought he made some stupid statements his last year here as a player and I thought he was too immature and 'foot-in-mouthed' to be a successful manager. He still trips over his comments, and we haven't seen him have a bad season yet, but I think he has grown into a natural for the position in a very short time. Ditka had a stud roster for years and only once made it past the second round of the playoffs, right?

And Ozzie is one of the few (so far) successful managers who had a successful career as a player. For some reason, most of the successful managers were scrubs or utility players as managers.

Casey Stengel and Billy Martin were among the few managers who could draw fans, and Ozzie is one of very few modern-day managers I can recall in my lifetime who ever got the great crowd response from the hometown fans. In fact, I cannot recall any White Sox or cub managers in my lifetime who the fans warmed up to like him. He may be more popular as a manager than he was as a player.

I think Ozzie can be a guy like Casey or Billy, but without a lot of the baggage those two carried. Ozzie may well enter a new era of managerial popularity in Chicago and MLB. He may not win a World Series Championship every year, and again, we have not seen how he will handle a losing season yet, but to me, Ditka was always gruff, acted like a jerk for the wrong reasons, sparred in the media with his players and coaches, and never took criticism well. Nobody likes to lose, but Ditka and his 'next question' retorts along with the outright dumb comments he would make when asked a question that may of hinted a touch of criticism towards him, were just low class.

Plus, Ditka has made it clear he is a cub fan.... Must have taken too many hits to the head.......

Ozzie always accepts responsibility for the bad, has an 'Oh, well, we ****ed up today' kind of attitude after a tough loss or losing streak, and never basked in taking credit when things are good.

And Ozzie bleeds White Sox baseball. Unlike former managers on both sides of town wh carried a 'blah,blah attitude towards the Sox/cub rivalry, Ozzie loves it! He also had the guts and courage to tell cub fans and the media that their park sucks. How can Oz not be the champ of managers and coaches?

So in my opinion, Ozzie outclasses Ditka any day, and I think in a few years this will be further cemented in the laurels of Chicago sports lore.

1951Campbell
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I think Kittle42, 34 Inch Stick and the Old Roman got in all the snide comments I would have made. :D:

LuvSox
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Ozzie hasn't made any bad music videos. Yet.

1951Campbell
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM

I take it back. Well played, LuvSox. :wink:

FarSouthSoxFan
02-07-2006, 02:31 AM

Oh, my Lord! We have a Grabowski reference!

http://www.orange32.com/grabowski/

I wish there were a way to "teal" audio. Then I could do it and make Ditka look less silly there.

Oh, how far you fell, Iron Mike.
:whiner:

Stoky44
02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
And that will always be the case because there is 1 football team. Even if Chicago is a Sox city over a Cubs city, the Bears will always rule over any baseball team. The Bears will always rule this city IMO.

Yea, this was my point. Since the Bears will always rule the city, then it would be hard for ozzie to equal Ditka.

Viva Medias B's
02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh, my Lord! We have a Grabowski reference!

http://www.orange32.com/grabowski/

I wish there were a way to "teal" audio. Then I could do it and make Ditka look less silly there.

Oh, how far you fell, Iron Mike.
:whiner:

The Iron Mike video was even worse than the Grabowski one.

MisterB
02-07-2006, 09:58 AM
http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/George%20Wendt-Bob%20Swerski.jpg
"But could a team of mini-Ozzies beat the 1927 Yankees? Carl? Pat?"
http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/RoSm-Carl%20Wollarski.jpg
"The Mini-Ozzies would sweep, outscoring the Yanks 142-5."
http://snl.jt.org/arc/chartn/MiMy-Pat%20Arnold.jpg
"The Ozzies would outscore them 252-1 after 2 games, and the Yanks would forfeit."

buehrle4cy05
02-07-2006, 11:51 AM

:rolling:

VenturaSoxFan23
02-07-2006, 11:58 AM
http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/George%20Wendt-Bob%20Swerski.jpg
"But could a team of mini-Ozzies beat the 1927 Yankees? Carl? Pat?"
http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/RoSm-Carl%20Wollarski.jpg
"The Mini-Ozzies would sweep, outscoring the Yanks 142-5."
http://snl.jt.org/arc/chartn/MiMy-Pat%20Arnold.jpg
"The Ozzies would outscore them 252-1 after 2 games, and the Yanks would forfeit."

I got beaten to the punch. Bra-vo!

Palehose13
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
How many fans wear the jersey of their manager/coach? From what I have seen, not too many (if any). Granted Guillen is a former player, but I know a lot of people that bought his jersey after he became manager. IMO, that alone speaks volumes in regards to his popularity.

RichFitztightly
02-07-2006, 03:50 PM

Ozzie did have a restaurant while he was playing. It was called the Rajun Cajun. It was in the South Suburbs (Orland, I think). The food was decent, kind of a sports bar atmosphere. I don't think he was the sole owner, but I do remember them giving out Sox tickets to everyone in our party after our meal. This was after the strike, so attendence was down. But, they were bleacher seats and I remember I had a blast.

chisoxfanatic
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Ozzie already has superceeded Ditka in my heart, because I was so young when the Bears won the Super Bowl. I can remember mostly being happy that my parents let me stay up way past my bedtime that night. But, this year past, I was able to celebrate this World Series to the FULLEST extent right here in the heart of the White Sox Army Base.

There is no comparison whatsoever!

jdm2662
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I will admit that I'm more into the Bears than the Sox. Both Ditka and Ozzie are similar since they had good careers as players with their respective teams. Being head coach/manager was their dreams after playing. And, they both delivered a long awaited championship. They also don't care what you think about them and will call you out in their own way... They are both very entertaining. There are a lot of similarities. Even if there was still only one team, I still would see Ditka being more popular. He certainly knows how to market himself. Hell, he hasn't coached since the Bears since 1992, only ended up bringing home one Super Bowl, and he's still a hero to many. In fact, I just bought the ever famous picture of Ditka giving the finger. That will look very nice in my new living room. :D:

Viva Medias B's
02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Ozzie and Ron Schueler tried to build a sports bar on 159th Street in Orland Park called "Legends 13." However, residents living north of 159th Street objected to it for whatever reason. I guess people wanted that land for another car dealership, because there aren't enough of them on 159th Street.