PDA

View Full Version : SI tries to defend Jeter's defense

chaerulez
02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_weisman/02/03/defense.metrics/index.html

An interesting article, although I agree with its point, I don't agree with its example. He's basically saying all these different sabermetrics fielding ratings will generate all different types of stats for a single player and that Jeter can rank from above average to below average. While I agree stats can be misleading, there's really no questioning the ability of Jeter on defense.

He's not a good defensive shortstop.

He has terrible range, mostly to his left side. I don't know if this writer actually has watched a Yankees game. He simply lets a lot of ground balls go through the infield. He says sometimes this knock on Jeter's defense comes across as a "witch hunt against a very popular and respected player."

How about it's just the truth?

I don't think anyone would be coming to Juan Uribe's defense if a bunch of sabermetric stats were released stating that he's not a good defensive shortstop.

1951Campbell
02-06-2006, 12:12 PM

That's a bit much. I'd say Jeter's "fairly good" and, by comparison, Uribe's "very good." Valentin was "not a good defensive shortstop."

The article does point out that all the metrics aside, you do have to rely in part on old-fashioned watching a dude play and then rating him. In Jeter's case, he's fairly good and is capable of making a really great play at the right time. Coupled with playing for the Yankees, you have a hype machine that going to color most people's subjective views of him.

IlliniSox4Life
02-06-2006, 12:32 PM
If somebody wants to come to Jeter's defense if someone is calling him a bad defensive SS, I don't really have much of a problem with that. He's not great, but he's not bad either. I've seen a lot worse examples of an east coast bias.

SoxFan76
02-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Let's not get crazy here. He's overrated, yes. Not a good defensive shortstop? That's going a little far.

palehozenychicty
02-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Let's not get crazy here. He's overrated, yes. Not a good defensive shortstop? That's going a little far.

I concur.