PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens article in the Sun-Times

DrCrawdad
02-06-2006, 07:21 AM
http://www.rookiesquantities.com/images/jp04_66_Silver_auto.jpg

Sox keep eyes on Owens (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-owens06.html)

February 6, 2006
BY JOSE OROZCO Special to the Chicago Sun-Times

Owens did all that -- and then some. After leading the league with a .356 average for two months, Owens headed home to California early, having earned a spot on the Sox' 40-man roster...

''He has a special talent,'' said (Andy) Tomberlin, (Owens' hitting coach with the La Guaira Sharks) who will be the new hitting coach at Class AA Birmingham this year. ''The gift he has -- you can't teach his eye and hand coordination.''

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Still hard to believe that KW got him for Alex Escobar, a player that was only in the Sox organization for a few months. These are the types of deals that make the White Sox a great ballclub. I'm hoping to see a lot of him this spring on Comcast.

DrCrawdad
02-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Still hard to believe that KW got him for Alex Escobar, a player that was only in the Sox organization for a few months. These are the types of deals that make the White Sox a great ballclub. I'm hoping to see a lot of him this spring on Comcast.

Why were the Sox willing to trade Reed & Rowand? Anderson, Owens and Sweeney.

I'm ready for Spring Training. Let the games begin!

kevin57
02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I liked one particular comment from Owens. He recognizes his need to work at the minor league level on some fundamentals of the game (e.g., running). That sort of 'humility' speaks a lot about his character. I look forward to one day seeing him at USCF.

veeter
02-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Owens is going to really, really good. He's clearly Scotty's heir in left.

Corlose 15
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
That article mentions that he hurt his arm w/ Montreal and has a below average arm. Can anybody who's seen him play elaborate on his defense? He sounds kind of like Willie Harris in that he has speed but hasn't yet learned how to steal bases effectively. He appears to have a great work ethic though.

ManagerMark
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Corlose.. great observations. If Owens made the club he would be a better 2 hitter than anyone we have now eventually. He would look good batting nine right away. The arm would be a subtraction defensively however unless he can build it back up. But it seems as though it's Anderson's spot to lose and Owens will start in the minors. I am hoping Gload makes the team and I am really rooting for Borchard should the Sox only bring 11 pitchers north.

ondafarm
02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I've seen him bat a few times. I'd like to see him earn his wings at AAA this year, get a September call-up and then contend for ROY in 2007. Definately a speed player and I hope the Sox have a good outfield coach at Charlotte. Base-stealing is as much a skill as it is speed, if not more so. Even with my catcher's knees I had twenty steals a year for 3 straight years in Japan. Owens will need to work on it and be well-coached. His outfield defense could use some work, hopefully the same teacher at AAA can work on that. This guy will replace Pods.

TaylorStSox
02-06-2006, 11:33 AM
That article mentions that he hurt his arm w/ Montreal and has a below average arm. Can anybody who's seen him play elaborate on his defense? He sounds kind of like Willie Harris in that he has speed but hasn't yet learned how to steal bases effectively. He appears to have a great work ethic though.

From everything I gather, he's like Pods in LF. He's rangey, but not a natural fielder and his jumps aren't great. His arm's weak. Most people feel that he won't be able to play CF in the majors.

For those who've seen him alot, is he comparable to Nook Logan?

longshot7
02-06-2006, 01:39 PM
This prediction will probably come around to bite me in the ass, but I predict he'll be our starting CF come playoff time and win the ROTY this year.

White Sox Randy
02-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I predict that we don't see him until September. Then, next year he is our 4th outfielder. The following year, 2008, we let Pods go and he becomes our left fielder and leadoff hitter.

maurice
02-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Harris is a much more effective base stealer. Owens still has some work to do with respect to his SB% and defense. Raines and Podsednik should be good influences on the SB front.

TaylorStSox
02-06-2006, 03:29 PM
This prediction will probably come around to bite me in the ass, but I predict he'll be our starting CF come playoff time and win the ROTY this year.

That's alot to ask from a guy who has no power, doesn't walk, doesn't swipe bags at a good rate and hasn't hit above AA. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt we'll even see him for 2 years.