PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hawk moment

thomas35forever
02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
I've decided to follow up on my John Rooney thread and ask people what their favorite moments of Ken "Hawk" Harrelson have been. I know he's not going anywhere, but I just want to know.

Pureone
02-06-2006, 12:25 AM
When he doesn't speak.

rbeze09
02-06-2006, 12:28 AM
his call of joe crede's homer against cleveland...couldnt have put more enthusiasm into it....hawk is awesome

NonetheLoaiza
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
C'mon Timo! C'mon Timo!

Baby Fisk
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
his call of joe crede's homer against cleveland...couldnt have put more enthusiasm into it....hawk is awesome
Yup. The raw emotion of that moment, after weeks of despair... it was like an exorcism...

:hawk
"Joe! Crede!"

buehrle4cy05
02-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Back in '03 or '04 (I can't remember) when Garland got ejected for hitting Mientkiewicz.
"THAT IS BS!"

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-06-2006, 12:55 AM
The Joe Crede call was awesome. A few other favorites of mine: 2003 when Jose Valetin hit a walk off home run in the 9th off of Alfonseca? I believe and Frank Thomas' 12th inning home run against the Twins in 2003. That was AWESOME!

RadioheadRocks
02-06-2006, 12:59 AM
The Joe Crede call was awesome. A few other favorites of mine: 2003 when Jose Valetin hit a walk off home run in the 9th off of Alfonseca? I believe and Frank Thomas' 12th inning home run against the Twins in 2003. That was AWESOME!

I'm guessing here, but I think that Valentin homer is the one that's on the talking White Sox bottle opener I bought at Walgreens last spring.

peeonwrigley
02-06-2006, 01:10 AM
I love Hawk because he pretty much echoes my sentiments at big moments in games. If we have a guy called out at home on a close play, I disagree with the call until shown otherwise by replay. If the Sox hit a huge home run, I'm going nuts with him. I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it.

(I should note that his refers to in-game only. I think Hawk sounds like a fool a lot of the time on the radio with how one-sided he is in respect to any personnel/team issue. I just enjoy how he calls a game from a biased fan's perspective.)

I don't mean to ruffle the Rooney-lovers feathers, but I think Hawk would have provided much more empassioned and memorable moments if local TV broadcast teams could do the playoffs.

RadioheadRocks
02-06-2006, 01:17 AM
How about in the bonus features of the World Series DVD, where Hawk joins Rooney and Farmio when Bobby Jenks pitches to Jeff Bagwell in the bottom of the 8th of Game 1. They talk a little about a pitch that Jenks threw to get a crucial out against Minnesota earlier in the season and Hawk says how he congratulated A.J. on calling a certain pitch. Farmio said "gutsy call", then Hawk came back with "I didn't tell him it was a gutsy call, I actually said something else..." :D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm guessing here, but I think that Valentin homer is the one that's on the talking White Sox bottle opener I bought at Walgreens last spring.
It is! I have the same bottle opener, even though I have no intention of using it for years. :D:

SOXintheBURGH
02-06-2006, 01:34 AM

"Here's the 2-0 pitch...

:walkoff:

THAT'S A DEEP DRIVE TO LEFT CENTER!! HE LOOKS UP!! STRETCH!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...!!!

:hawk + :DJ

"YES!!"

"A two run home run for AJ Pierzynski, his tenth, and the White Sox score four in the bottom of the ninth!"

Bobbo35
02-06-2006, 07:55 AM

JOEEEEE.....CREEEEEDEEEE!!!!!

Bobbo35
02-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Ya, I have that same bottle opener. I have to play it some times to get the feeling back. To bad it is with Valentine.

rdwj
02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I liked the Wendelstedt tirade. It's nice when your announcer is as mad as you are.

MeteorsSox4367
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
The call on Crede's homer off Riske still gives me goosebumps. And I thought it was cool during the Series when Hawk was on the radio for a little while with Rooney and Farmer. After Jenks struck out Bagwell I believe, Rooney provided his description and then Farmer said, "Ken Harrelson" to which Hawk responded "He Gone!"

Oh yeah!!!

gobears1987
02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I love his call when Buehrle was ejected. He said exactly what I was thinking. I love announcers who speak their mind.

Captian Ron
02-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Back in '03 or '04 (I can't remember) when Garland got ejected for hitting Mientkiewicz.
"THAT IS BS!"

I would go with that one to.

twsoxfan5
02-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I love his call when Buehrle was ejected. He said exactly what I was thinking. I love announcers who speak their mind.

"THAT IS TOTAL BS." This one is my favorite too.

Railsplitter
02-06-2006, 10:33 AM
1983 Sox home game, where a home run call was overturned and ruled a fan had reached out and grabbed hte ball. Tonmy La Russa uprooted third base an threw it into the air. Hawk said "atta way, Tony!"

chisoxfanatic
02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I think it's hilarious when Hawk has moments of silence. The most hilarious moment of silence occurred immediately after DJ referred to Hawk as being "sexy." LOL!

soxinem1
02-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Yep, I was thinking the same. Both of those were classic Hawk. The 'C'mon Timo' one was great too, but these two games Hawk was just explosive!

Say what you want, love him or hate him, Hawk gets into it like no one else.

Rooney4Prez56
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM

That umpire threw Buehrle out on a BS call, ending his streak of 6+ innings pitched. I was yelling just like him. Perfect reflection of my anger.

miker
02-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Hawk takes a lot of heat on these boards, but I still like him. He wears his heart on his sleeve and isn't afraid to speak his mind -- which is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or evil.

After the Sox' quick start last year and the team started to hit its stride, his enthusiasm and passion seemed to have been taken up a notch. Like a veteran on the bench finally getting his chance to be on a World Series-contender, rooting his teammates on.

That having been said, I love the "That is BS!!!" call. Classic unrestrained Harrelson.

soxinem1
02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Hawk takes a lot of heat on these boards, but I still like him. He wears his heart on his sleeve and isn't afraid to speak his mind -- which is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or evil.

After the Sox' quick start last year and the team started to hit its stride, his enthusiasm and passion seemed to have been taken up a notch. Like a veteran on the bench finally getting his chance to be on a World Series-contender, rooting his teammates on.

That having been said, I love the "That is BS!!!" call. Classic unrestrained Harrelson.

I think he actually said something like 'That is BS. Total unebliverated BS. I can't believe it. That is a total BS call.'

MERCY!

Edward
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
How about when Hawk replied to the viewer email, "Hawk, what is a dodo bird and why did you call Mariotti one" to which he replied "A dodo bird is a bird that flies in concentric circles that get smaller and smaller until eventually the bird flies up its own behind and dissappears"

Milkman43
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
My favorite Hawk moment has got to be when Buehrle hit B.J Surhoff and got thrown out of the game to end his streak.
"NO, NO, Oh come on Brian Gormen, thats B.S. Shame on you Brian Gormen"

Never a dull moment with Hawk. I also find it amusing too when things are going bad and Hawk is completely silent and DJ just keeps rambling on about how bad a player he was.

mjharrison72
02-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I was just thinking the same thing... sort of dates the contraption to put a player's name in the call, if you ask me, but I suppose that's why I'm not in the talking-bottle-opener business.

Madvora
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
How about when Hawk replied to the viewer email, "Hawk, what is a dodo bird and why did you call Mariotti one" to which he replied "A dodo bird is a bird that flies in concentric circles that get smaller and smaller until eventually the bird flies up its own behind and dissappears"
Heiney Bird

SoxFan76
02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
The C'mon Timo play is still on mlb.com if you bring up Timo's player profile, however it's the Indians announcer. Does anyone have Hawk's call online?

FireMariotti
02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3734&d=1135833912

VenturaSoxFan23
02-07-2006, 12:54 PM
June 2004: Arnie Munoz, 5th starter, against Montreal. Arnie had given up 11 runs in two innings. Hawk & DJ were having a full-blown screaming match at each other for why he's still pitching. It got so bad that it was uncomfortable to watch. (The following is not an actual transcription, but kinda close; this was during the stretch where the Sox couldn't find a suitable 5th starter.)

DJ: "Why is Ozzie leaving him in there?"
Hawk: "Well, you want to let the kid get some experience under his belt."
DJ: "But, he gave up 11 runs. I think it's time to get him outta there."
Hawk: "Darrin, he's not going to learn to get out of jams like this if you take him out now! He needs to figure out what's wrong and work his way out of it!" (You know Hawk's mad when he calls him Darrin.)
DJ: (Base hit scores another run during this exchange.) Now, it's 12-1 Expos, we need to switch pitchers! C'mon, Ozzie, get him out!"
Hawk: "Are you the manager?"
DJ: "Well, no."
Hawk: "Just be quiet and let Ozzie do his job! I think Ozzie knows what he's doing, mercy!"
(Ozzie walks out.)
DJ: "Well, thank goodness." (DJ stayed relatively quiet for like 2 innings after this.)

Palehose13
02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
This one is tough. I love the "BS rant" and "Come on Timo" is definitely classic. However, my all time favorite is:

Joe Creeedeee!!!

It was especially funny the day after on the score because they would play that clip followed by singning of "Hallejuah".

BeefyD
02-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Isn't that the call every time I crack open a beer with my talking SOX bottle opener??? I know it's Hawk's call for a Valentin homer, but not sure if it was this game.

MUsoxfan
02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
June 2004: Arnie Munoz, 5th starter, against Montreal. Arnie had given up 11 runs in two innings. Hawk & DJ were having a full-blown screaming match at each other for why he's still pitching. It got so bad that it was uncomfortable to watch. (The following is not an actual transcription, but kinda close; this was during the stretch where the Sox couldn't find a suitable 5th starter.)

DJ: "Why is Ozzie leaving him in there?"
Hawk: "Well, you want to let the kid get some experience under his belt."
DJ: "But, he gave up 11 runs. I think it's time to get him outta there."
Hawk: "Darrin, he's not going to learn to get out of jams like this if you take him out now! He needs to figure out what's wrong and work his way out of it!" (You know Hawk's mad when he calls him Darrin.)
DJ: (Base hit scores another run during this exchange.) Now, it's 12-1 Expos, we need to switch pitchers! C'mon, Ozzie, get him out!"
Hawk: "Are you the manager?"
DJ: "Well, no."
Hawk: "Just be quiet and let Ozzie do his job! I think Ozzie knows what he's doing, mercy!"
(Ozzie walks out.)
DJ: "Well, thank goodness." (DJ stayed relatively quiet for like 2 innings after this.)

I'll always remember that day. It was family field day/garage sale at the Cell. Then afterwards I went to Halligan's to watch the game and was really pissed off....then excited when they came back huge....then just disappointed.

MsSoxVixen22
02-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Mine were already said:

1.) When Buehrle was thrown out for no reason
2.) JOOOOEEE CREEEDDEE!

Some others:
3.) When Hawk was talking about the "pucker factor" and "pulling a greased tee out with a pair of pliers." *****!!
4.) When Hawk asked DJ if he knew what a hineybird was and then explained.

I luuuvv Hawk! :tongue:

SoxFan76
02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I'll always remember that day. It was family field day/garage sale at the Cell. Then afterwards I went to Halligan's to watch the game and was really pissed off....then excited when they came back huge....then just disappointed.

I remember that day too. Me and my uncle were at a Schaumburg Flyers game and we kept watching the score of the Sox game on one of the electronic scoreboards. I remember seeing the Sox come back and it was killing me that I couldn't see the game.

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I used to love when he and Don Drysdale used to get into it over knockdown pitches, the strike zone, and who was entitled to what part of the plate. Drysdale would get quietly fierce, with one of his 'the inside corner belongs to the pitcher, and if you lean over it, look out' comments. Especially when a croucher like Rickey Henderson would hit against the Sox.

They used to go back and forth with that discussion so often they would forget to call the game. Then the 154-game season with Sunday doubleheaders would somehow surface.....

They also would go into a banter about the slowness of guys like Britt Burns, Carlton Fisk, and Mike Hargrove.

I always got a kick out of those two in their own little world.

AWhiteSoxWinner
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Speaking of that bottle opener some of you had mentioned. I visited my brother in DC last May and his girlfriend is from Cape Cod and a diehard Red Sox fan. I popped open a bottle of beer with her talking World Series Red Sox bottle opener and the call was the final out of the 2004 World Series. I thought that thing was the greatest and told her that will be me favorite souvenir when the White Sox win the series in the fall. I have looked for that opener since the White Sox won and have never seen it. Imagine opening a bottle of beer and hearing Rooney say OUT...OUT A WHITE SOX WINNER AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP or THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE PENNANT...THEY WON THE PENNANT. That would be INCREDIBLE!

Jenks4Pres
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I like when he said

"You can put on the booooooooooooard........ Yes" in that one game

:dtroll:

thomas35forever
02-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I like when he said

"You can put on the booooooooooooard........ Yes" in that one game

:dtroll:

Which one? He's said it thousands of times since he's been here.

XplodingScorbord
02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Shoulda been in teal. Someone'll fix it.

Geeterman1
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
The best was last season, against the Twins in Minn. when the Indians were on our ass. We were up by 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth 2 outs.

"That ball hit hard, THAT'S A FAIR BALL!!! They're gonna hold em, they're gonna try and get em and NO!!!! HE DROPS THE BALL!!!! DAMN!!!!"

this is where the ball hit off paulies glove obviously in foul territory and it was called fair. There is then a moment of silence for about a minute....

"AND THAT IS UNNNNNNNNNNNREAL!!!!"

thomas35forever
02-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Does anyone have a full transcript of when Buehrle got thrown out in Baltimore?

mccombe_35
02-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I know a lot of recent great calls have been brought up, & they will live forever, but remember the call of the deep fly ball to Steve Sax in left field in '93??? :smile: Let me know if you do.

If you have the "'93 Good Guys Wear Black" tape you know the call!

Daver
02-11-2006, 12:28 AM
When he announces he is quitting will be the highlight of his career.

mccombe_35
02-11-2006, 12:33 AM

Really Daver? I don't know all the WSI boys, but why no love for Hawk? I know why fans of other teams wouldn't like the guy, but what about you?

(sorry if it's an old topic here, but I have not seen it)

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2006, 12:59 AM

"Here's the 2-0 pitch...

THAT'S A DEEP DRIVE TO LEFT CENTER!! HE LOOKS UP!! STRETCH!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...!!!

"YES!!"

"A two run home run for AJ Pierzynski, his tenth, and the White Sox score four in the bottom of the ninth!"

I have the call on VHS.I was at that game (6/18/05).Here's what I can remember off the top of my head.BTW,the HR was on a 3-2 count after AJ had fouled off many pitches.

"That ball hit deep,into left center field.Stretch!Way back,he looks up.....
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YYYYESSS!!! A 2 run homer by AJ
Pierzynski,his 10th,and the Sox come up with 4 runs in the bottom of
the 9th inning,and they win it,5-3."

That is just one of many regular season memorable moments for me.:cool:

Daver
02-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Really Daver? I don't know all the WSI boys, but why no love for Hawk? I know why fans of other teams wouldn't like the guy, but what about you?

(sorry if it's an old topic here, but I have not seen it)

Ken Harrellson is a tiresome boar, and has been for a long time. He is good for one thing, he spouts the company line quite well, he is Jerry Reinsdorf's puppet.

Tragg
02-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Ken Harrellson is a tiresome boar.

Nice pun.
Must be hunting season.

TomBradley72
02-11-2006, 09:23 AM
I relaize this might be a little bit obscure and it's been a while since he was in the booth for the White Sox....but anyone have any great memories from when "Double D" was in the booth for the White Sox?

SOXSINCE'70
02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
I relaize this might be a little bit obscure and it's been a while since he was in the booth for the White Sox....but anyone have any great memories from when "Double D" was in the booth for the White Sox?

IIRC,he once had to interview Harold Baines after a game winning HR.
Harold answered "Double D's" questions about said HR with the following responses:"Yup","Nope" and "Apparently". :D: :D:

Stroker Ace
02-12-2006, 05:18 AM

"Here's the 2-0 pitch...

"YES!!"

"A two run home run for AJ Pierzynski, his tenth, and the White Sox score four in the bottom of the ninth!"That was the first game I watched when I came home from school. I was going through Hawk withdrawl and this helped a lot.

Brian26
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Bruce Wolf told a great story about Drysdale three or four years ago on Dahl's show. I'll try to re-tell it, but I might miss something from Bruce's original take. Stick with this because the ending is worth it...

The Cubs and Sox rekindled their seasonal "Crosstown Classic" exhibition game with the Cubs in 1985 at Comiskey Park. The Sox won that game, and I believe they ended up going undefeated in the series (with one tie) through 1994 or 1995. Anyway, the third year, 1987, was held at Comiskey Park, and Drysdale and Frank Messmer were the announcers on WFLD since the game was back at Comiskey due to the yearly rotation. (If anyone remembers the game, there was a really thick fog that settled in and almost caused the game to be delayed, similar to the Bears/Eagles game that would happen a couple years down the line). For some reason, Bruce Wolf was scheduled to do an inning in the booth with Drysdale while doing his "Chet Chitchat" character. It may have been a tie-in with the new 9pm Fox news show that had just started that summer. Drysdale had always been a man's man and pretty old-school in his thinking about baseball. Bruce admitted to Dahl that he went into the booth a little nervous. He had always respected Drydale from seeing him play as a kid, and Bruce was not sure how the whacky "Chet Chitchat" bit would work with Drydale's traditional approach to the broadcast. Bruce was also living out a part of his dream in doing this...he'd always wanted to be a baseball announcer growing up and this was the first time he'd ever been in the booth on a live Sox or Cubs game. So the day comes and the 4th innings starts. Bruce starts off his bit, and he's doing some play by play of the game. Drysdale seems to be going along with it, but not saying too much. Bruce is starting to really get nervous, because he wants to make sure this is ok with Drysdale, but he's not getting the positive reinforcement he was hoping for. So Drysdale and Messmer continue to let "Chet Chitchat" do his thing, as he's calling a Daryl Boston groundout and then a Mark Salas strikeout. Finally, Donnie Hill comes up. At the time, part of Chet's routine, especially with football players, was to say, "Ok, here comes good old number (so and so), and of course you remember all the great number (so and so)'s in Bears history...." and he would list 5 or 6 guys who had worn that number. So, Bruce decided Chet was going to squeeze this last bit of material in before the end of the inning. The next batter was Donnie Hill, #15. So Chet goes into his routine, "And here comes good old number 15 for the White Sox, Donnie Hill, and of course you remember all the great #15's in Sox history....(pause)". Bruce said that he completely blanked out. It was probably due to a combination of nervousness and excitement. Up to this point, he wasn't sure if he was completely bombing or if Drysdale was enjoying it. Drysdale hadn't opened his mouth in the last couple of minutes, and Bruce was starting to think this was a train wreck. So Bruce starts to sweat, as he's stumbling over himself as "Chet", trying to come up with a #15 from Sox history. He's never forgotten a number like this before, and now seconds begin to feel like minutes and time is standing still. At that point, Drysdale slides a piece of paper over to Bruce and lightly taps it without saying anything. Bruce looks down, and on the paper is written, "Richie Allen #15".

Chet finished the inning without a hitch, and Bruce told Dahl that he would never forget that moment. It was a testament to how much of a gentleman Drysdale was to save him when he didn't have to, but also how knowledgable and professional Drysdale was about the game (to actually know a Sox # from 15 years prior to that when Drysdale wasn't even associated with the organization or the American League.)

I thought that was a neat story....I vaguely remember that inning. But, I don't remember Bruce stumbling like that, and nobody at home would have known Drydale saved him anyway.

ewokpelts
02-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Hawk's call as they clinched the Division.....he was practically yelling, and you can hear the relief in his voice......

Gene

chisoxfanatic
02-13-2006, 12:49 AM
This one is tough. I love the "BS rant" and "Come on Timo" is definitely classic. However, my all time favorite is:

Joe Creeedeee!!!

It was especially funny the day after on the score because they would play that clip followed by singning of "Hallejuah".

Haha, it's funny, because ChiSoxGirl and I taunted chisoxmike with that call all the time at Puffers last October every time Crede did something good (which was often). Mike might as well change his name to CredeHater. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok, another moment that left me in stiches was the inning before Crede won it in the bottom of the 9th to beat Cleveland.

Aaron Rowand misplayed a flyball, which unfortunately got past him, and Hawk started screaming: "NO, AARON!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO, AARON!!! NO!!! NO!!!"

It's that type of thing you had to have heard; but, if you did, you'd be laughing hysterically!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
02-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Blackhawks win 4-2 in Game 2 of the Conference Finals in 1992 to go up 2-0 heading into Edmonton where they would wind up finishing the sweep to meet the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals.

Oh the other Hawk. Hearing JOE CREDE!!! on the replay after almost catching his home run ball in the 10th in the best game of the regular season against Cleveland.

Pureone
02-13-2006, 01:41 AM

Very true.

I actually liked him a lot when I first started to watch the Sox, then many years passed and I came to realize that once you hear what he has to say, he just repeats it over and over again.

Recently though, I have noticed many of the bandwagon fans seem to worship him because of his fake accent, and his catch phrases.

Rooney... :(: