PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider shopping Contreras?

chisox06
02-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Seems like the consenus I've seen by reading a lot of the headlines that with all our starters with the exception off Contreras locked up for multiple years, seems like Contreras may go on the block sometime next season. Considering that his stock may possible be as high as it's ever have, anyone think KW might make a move at ship him somewhere? Although KW is a god and I will never second guess this man (ever again anyways). Personally if B-MAC continues to be successful it might not be a bad idea, sometime early/mid season.

1951Campbell
02-04-2006, 11:47 PM
My stock answer is that I'd consider shopping anybody for the right person in return.

pearso66
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Seems like the consenus I've seen by reading a lot of the headlines that with all our starters with the exception off Contreras locked up for multiple years, seems like Contreras may go on the block sometime next season. Considering that his stock may possible be as high as it's ever have, anyone think KW might make a move at ship him somewhere? Although KW is a god and I will never second guess this man (ever again anyways). Personally if B-MAC continues to be successful it might not be a bad idea, sometime early/mid season.

I think that Contreras might end up being traded, but Kenny holds all the cards if someone wants him. KW doesn't have to trade him, and everyone knows that he would rather not, but they know he is also available. It will take a huge boatload to get Jose from the Sox this year.

Craig Grebeck
02-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Only if it was for either Wilkerson, Dunn, or Abreu. But I wouldn't say no to a deal for Qualls and a high pitching prospect from the Astros.

Banix12
02-05-2006, 12:09 AM
I would consider trading him but I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of getting anything in return. If the sox can get a deal in return that will be of great benefit then great but if they can't I would be perfectly happy seeing him pitch for for the white sox this season and letting him walk. A season of contreras and draft compensation would be fine with me.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Kind of a goofy thread unless it's mentioned WHO we trade Contreas for. For the right price, anything is for sale. Especially a guy in his walk year.

Jerome
02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Normally I would say there are no untouchables, BUT Jose is a number 1 caliber starter, and taking that away will hurt the WS chances for 2006, which this team geared to win.

Corlose 15
02-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Here's the way I see it, you keep Contreras and let him win 15-20 games or so this year and help the team to another division title and playoff run. Then if he doesn't sign, so be it and you let McCarthy take his place next year with another year of experience under his belt. IMO, it would take a proposal that would knock your socks off (no pun intended) to trade Contreras. I think he's finally figured it out and he's gonna have a monster year, I'd like that year to be in black pinstripes.

LuzinskiFan
02-05-2006, 03:42 AM
For a while I thought lets unload him for another bat cause we got B Mac. Then I thought back to the second half of the season and the playoffs and said are we crazy? He was the best pitcher in baseball bar none during that stretch. Why trade him? Lets just keep him, go for the repeat and take our chances that we can resign him. If we lose him, we still got tonnes of pitching.

Bobbo35
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Here's the way I see it, you keep Contreras and let him win 15-20 games or so this year and help the team to another division title and playoff run. Then if he doesn't sign, so be it and you let McCarthy take his place next year with another year of experience under his belt. IMO, it would take a proposal that would knock your socks off (no pun intended) to trade Contreras. I think he's finally figured it out and he's gonna have a monster year, I'd like that year to be in black pinstripes.
Ya, I think the sox are in a great situation with McCarthy sitting in the rear ready to take a starting role. That is why I think we can get a good trade with Contreras while still having McCarthy there. Don't get me wrong Jose is A1 in my books, it just makes for a good situation if they ever decide to part ways.

TomBradley72
02-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't shop Contreras or any of the 6 potential starters....the odds are that at least one (or more) starter will be affected by injury this year...and after MacCarthy there is no one else in the organization that could step in. Consistent quality starting pitching is what gave the WSox a wire to wire 1st place finish and an 11-1 post season run....it's more important than any potential upgrades to the roster or replenishing the farm system.

likeawarlord
02-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Kind of a goofy thread unless it's mentioned WHO we trade Contreas for. For the right price, anything is for sale. Especially a guy in his walk year.

exactly. should the cardinals offer, say, pujols, rolen and mulder and money to cover the entirety of their salaries, i might trade contreras.

starting pitching is a position of strength and if we need to add another piece along the way that's where we're going to trade from.

ManagerMark
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree you need to get alot back for Jose. If all the other five starters are pitching well and the Sox have an apparent need, they would likely have a suitor for Jose to fill that need. I also agree that Jose may be the ace of the staff. In a case like that it becomes much tougher to trade him. KW will be able to rise to the occasion and do what's best for the Sox.