PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeff Blum getting the shaft or what

fogie
02-04-2006, 11:55 AM
It seems like, when people talk about the world series, you never here anything about Jeff Blum anymore, It's my understanding, he going back to San Diego, but sould we not, forget his famous home run, which I think won the series for us. So I was thinking, if Bobby Thompson's home run of 1951 was the shot hear around the world, Jeff Blun's shot, was never hear at all. What do you think.

PAPChiSox729
02-04-2006, 11:59 AM
I think Geoff Blum gets the credit he deserves around here. We all understood and appreciated what he did for us in the World Series. I don't necessarily think that HR won the series for us, not as much as Pods' did. We will always love Geoff for helping us win this year and we wish him the best in SD.

RememberDaAlomar
02-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Between me and my friends, Geoff Blum is a hero and a favorite between us. We remember that sweet slide he had against the Twins just as much as the home run.

soxfanreggie
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I think Geoff and the White Sox parted on the best of terms. He filled a role when he was called upon. We know how hard it was for him to be away from his family. We all wish him the best of luck with the Padres, and I'm sure he will have 1000's of beers offered to him when he's in town on the North Side (if he meanders over to the Southside bars.

1951Campbell
02-04-2006, 12:31 PM
It seems like, when people talk about the world series, you never here anything about Jeff Blum anymore, It's my understanding, he going back to San Diego, but sould we not, forget his famous home run, which I think won the series for us. So I was thinking, if Bobby Thompson's home run of 1951 was the shot hear around the world, Jeff Blun's shot, was never hear at all. What do you think.

I think he has many, many friends in Chicago and wherever Sox fans congregate.

bigsqwert
02-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Right before he hit that home run my friend said "If this guy hits a HR right now I will buy his jersey". Needless to say my friend has a custom made Blum jersey. :D:

1951Campbell
02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
He's kind of our Dave Roberts: remembered and revered pretty much only by us.

doublem23
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Got to love a thread dedicated to a guy getting the shaft... and then you don't even spell his name right. :rolleyes:

SOecks
02-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Got to love a thread dedicated to a guy getting the shaft... and then you don't even spell his name right. :rolleyes:

Aaaahahahaha :D::D::D::D::D::D: SOLID!!!

Steelrod
02-04-2006, 01:28 PM
With all due respect, the smoke didn't even clear after free agency began, and he was gone! Kaiser Sousa ?
But thanks Geoff!

HotelWhiteSox
02-04-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/db/issues/00/02.14/images/ae.blaxploitation.picA.jpg
Shut yo mouth

Palehose13
02-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Geoff was a great role player for the 2005 White Sox and most Sox fans will never forget his contributions. He wanted to go back to San Diego to be with his family (he has young children) and I think most people understand that. I am sure that the White Sox organization and the city of Chicago holds a special place in Geoff's heart, but you can't blame a man for wanting to be with his family. In fact, I think it is honorable.

Besides, TwoByFour made sure that Geoff has his place in Sox history:
http://twoxfour.com/webfiles/soxweb/SOX_Hero.jpg

doublem23
02-04-2006, 02:50 PM
With all due respect, the smoke didn't even clear after free agency began, and he was gone! Kaiser Sousa ?
But thanks Geoff!

Because he wanted to go back to San Diego to be back with his family. It's not like the Sox kicked him off the bus after the parade downtown.

soxinem1
02-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Because he wanted to go back to San Diego to be back with his family. It's not like the Sox kicked him off the bus after the parade downtown.

I agree with most of the posts here, but unsung heros time of glory is usually short. I remember in 1985 the Cardinals picked up an over the hill Cesar Cedeno (I almost wrote 'Cesar Romero'!) who downright scalded the ball for a month and a half and helped them get in the World Series. St. Louis had absolutely no interest in bringing him back for 1986.

As rough as it may sound, Blum did next to nothing in the regular season for the Sox, but will be remembered in our memories forever for that clutch, dramatic HR.

Look at it this way. Maybe he has something in common with Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett. He may be back this year again!!

Patrick134
02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Trust me , you'll see Blum in town many times between now and the year 2070 coming to sports memorablilia shows to sign pics of that homer.

A. Cavatica
02-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Such a pity that he won't go into the Hall of Fame with a White Sox cap.

oeo
02-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I appreciate everyone on that team. Whether it's Marte and Timo to Buehrle and Konerko...each one is appreciated for contributing to our first World Championship in 88 years. Why do you think he's being forgotten? We don't need him anymore, we have Mackowiak AND Ozuna as super utility men.

SOXSINCE'70
02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I will always cheer on Geoff Blum.His 14th inning HR
will never be forgotten by true White Sox fans.:cool:

NSSoxFan
02-04-2006, 05:39 PM

If Geoff didn't have triplets this year he would still be on the White Sox.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Whether it's Marte.........
Don't give me the night terrors

doublem23
02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
If Geoff didn't have triplets this year he would still be on the White Sox.

Maybe.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_406670.jpg
I would have homered in the 13th inning.

kevin57
02-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Among Sox fans, I do think Blum is remembered fondly and appreciated a lot for his HR in the wee hours of the night.

RadioheadRocks
02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Among Sox fans, I do think Blum is remembered fondly and appreciated a lot for his HR in the wee hours of the night.

Exactly... he's earned his rightful place in White Sox immortality despite only having a "cup of coffee" with the Sox. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
02-05-2006, 01:37 AM
It seems like, when people talk about the world series, you never here anything about Jeff Blum anymore, .

I liked Jeff Blum, and I think he has done pretty well for his one (spectacular!) at bat. At one of the seminars at Soxfest he even got a round of applause from the crowd. That was nice, hope he heard about it somehow. I liked him, but honestly. Didn't he kind of suck before that at bat if we are going to be totally honest? If he didn't hit that home run and he re-signed, how big would his autograph line have been at Soxfest? I'm not ripping him, I'm just saying........

kevin57
02-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I liked Jeff Bulm, and I think he has done pretty well for his one (spectacular!) at bat. I liked him, but honestly. Didn't he kind of suck before that at bat if we are going to be totally honest?

True, but as I remember it, he came to us with a rather low BA (.220?), so I don't think we could have expected a whole lot of offensive power. He was expected to be versatile in subbing for infielders and decent defensively. IMO, he filled that bill well.

Steelrod
02-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Because he wanted to go back to San Diego to be back with his family. It's not like the Sox kicked him off the bus after the parade downtown. Agree. He left 'cause he wanted to play at home. Money was not the consideration, which I respect.

Erik The Red
02-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I think this thread now holds the world record for amount of ways to misspell a name:

Jeff Blum
Jeff Blun
Jeff Bulm

areilly
02-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I think it's a safe bet to say that anyone who hits an extra-inning go-ahead homer in the World Series will go down in White Sox fan lore.

Blum has, in my opinion, attained South Side immortality. Funny how one swing of the bat can take a guy from "We traded for who? It's August 1st and all we picked up was who?" to "I need to get that man's jersey NOW!"

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/05_MLB_WorldSeries/Thumbs/GeoffBlumWSGM3_14InningGWHR.jpg

starboy0
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
If one person buys a Geoff Blum white sox jersey he is not forgotten.

RadioheadRocks
02-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Lest we forget he's also featured QUITE PROMINENTLY in the World Series DVD! :D:

Baby Fisk
02-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Lest we forget he's also featured QUITE PROMINENTLY in the World Series DVD! :D:
The build-up to his at-bat is great. Makes you wonder how much footage MLB shot during the playoffs. How much of that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor?

ManagerMark
02-06-2006, 12:28 PM
We caught lightning in a bottle when he hit the homer. What's especially gratifying about kw is how he doesn't sit back and keep every guy who ever contributed as if they are going to do it again and again. It is much more likely that we will repeat with the new squad than with the old one because of factors such as better talent and the upside so many of the young players that are on the team have. We didn't win the thing last year with 6 or 7 guys having career years, (position players), but the potential for many to have greater years is scary. Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Anderson(in place or Rowand), and even Dye who started slow and Pods with his health for a full season, AJ had a sub-par year average-wise... I think we are in for one hell of a ride in 06!

miker
02-06-2006, 12:49 PM
He might be a little peeved that no one can spell his name correctly...

skottyj242
02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
If one person buys a Geoff Blum white sox jersey he is not forgotten.

I don't think you can look at it from that perspective because I own a Billy Koch jersey and he's pretty much forgotten.

miker
02-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think you can look at it from that perspective because I own a Billy Koch jersey and he's pretty much forgotten.
Nope. I still have the ulcer and the memories of baseballs being launched like ICBMs to remind me of the "Billy Koch era."

tacosalbarojas
02-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I agree with most of the posts here, but unsung heros time of glory is usually short.
True. Look at Dusty Rhodes. I remember reading Jim Bouton talking about him in "Ball Four" winding up as a bus driver. That said, I have one final thought: God Bless Geoff Blum.

Jjav829
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I enjoyed his work in Jurassic Park.

Chicken Dinner
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM

I bet that baby doesn't get much use.

palehozenychicty
02-06-2006, 03:52 PM
:tealpolice:

I enjoyed his work in Jurassic Park.

flo-B-flo
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Geoff Blum got here. Hit a huge homer for us. And then did what any one of us would do. So long bud we'll NEVER forget you.

caracascat
02-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Maybe a WSI trip to see Geoff Blum play in Milwaukee is a possibility. I would never endorse going to Wrigley Field!

Domeshot17
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
A trip would be cool. I know my girlfriend is buying tickets for the first brewers/phils game in milwaukee.

Anywho, Blum is the man. He will not be forgotten. We also know Kenny loves to bring guys back. So in all honesty, if someone goes down or a ross gload type just is not producing, I wouldnt be too suprised to see Kenny deal another AA bust for the Blumster.